Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #695618

Subject: "Steven Universe is the best Cartoon Network show in years." Previous topic | Next topic
BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85121 posts
Tue Apr-07-15 11:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Steven Universe is the best Cartoon Network show in years."

I haven't been a fan of some of the zanier efforts to come out of CN in recent years. So this show is really a breath of fresh air. The creator Rebecca Sugar did work on Adventure Time but she must've learned some good lessons from that experience because this show is leagues better.

Just a little background: The show is about a kid named Steven (Universe) being raised by a trio of space warriors called the Crystal Gems who knew his late mother as their former leader. Steven has his mother's powers so he's in training as the 4th Crystal Gem. Don't really want to give away more than that but that's the basic plot.

It's got great, clean character designs & backgrounds. The main cast and community of Beach City is astonishingly well developed. All the emotional moments and character development are genuine and well earned. It's amazing how much they can pack into 11 minutes every week.

The first half of Season 1 gives context of the Crystal Gems interactions with earth and sets the table for the world. If you pay attention well there's a LOT to pick up on that will come into play later. Even the episodes that feel like diversions will all tie into the plot. S1 just ended last month and the sory just kicked it up another notch and raised the stakes in a big way.

I really recommend it. If you love anime, video games and serialized cartoons w/ character development then you really should check it out. I put it even higher than Young Justice and Symbionic Titan.

PS: There's also a RPG out on cell phones now that's been getting really great reviews for a mobile game. I can't wait to play that.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Stop
Apr 08th 2015
exactly
Apr 08th 2015
Young Justice aint holding a candle to Steven Universe
Apr 08th 2015
well AT is one of those recent zany efforts i'm not a fan of...
Apr 08th 2015
Been meaning to catch this
Apr 08th 2015
Hmmm, funny I heard these things about AT before I bought
Apr 08th 2015
Mainlined MOST of the first season last night.
Apr 09th 2015
My girl put me on, it's really great
Apr 10th 2015
eh
Apr 11th 2015
same
Apr 11th 2015
Ummm...
Apr 12th 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpng3BXvg4o
Apr 13th 2015

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 12:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Stop"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-08-15 12:42 AM by CaptNish

You can't say "...in years" all willy nilly when Adventure Time and Young Justice exist. But it is next level good.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 07:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "exactly"
In response to Reply # 1

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 08:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Young Justice aint holding a candle to Steven Universe"
In response to Reply # 1

There's so much packed into it. I think Young Justice does a good job for an action show for teenagers, but SU has something for everybody

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85121 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 09:14 AM

4. "well AT is one of those recent zany efforts i'm not a fan of..."
In response to Reply # 1

lord knows i tried w/ that one.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 10:22 AM

5. "Been meaning to catch this"
In response to Reply # 0

Didn't look like much when it debuted, but I've been hearing nothing but great things.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 03:30 PM

6. "Hmmm, funny I heard these things about AT before I bought"
In response to Reply # 0

I LOVE that show too.

I might have to give SU a shot.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 10:45 AM

7. "Mainlined MOST of the first season last night."
In response to Reply # 0

It's cool, but mythology-wise, it ain't touching Adventure Time - like NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Still it's def getting added to the rotation, I dig it. Thanks for the rec!

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

simpsycho
Member since May 29th 2007
8056 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 06:41 AM

8. "My girl put me on, it's really great"
In response to Reply # 0

Between this and Over the Garden Wall, I'm down for anything that comes from someone previously associated with Adventure Time(which I really enjoy).

And all that zany shit is beyond annoying. As a grown man, I know I'm not the target audience but I don't know if I would want my(theoretical) kids watching that shit either, kids are already annoying enough as it is without any extra inspiration. The recent crossover episode with Uncle Grandpa, the fuck is that shit?

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4555 posts
Sat Apr-11-15 06:56 AM

9. "eh"
In response to Reply # 0

i've tried numerous times to no avail

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Sat Apr-11-15 03:29 PM

10. "same"
In response to Reply # 9

>i've tried numerous times to no avail

that show annoys me

FUCK DONALD TRUMP

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10987 posts
Sun Apr-12-15 12:13 AM

11. "Ummm..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/thumbs/Regular-Show-Season-2-Episode-17-See-You-There.jpg

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 08:09 AM

12. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpng3BXvg4o"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpng3BXvg4o

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #695618 Previous topic | Next topic