Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #695157

Subject: "Goodbye to Language 3D (Godard, 2014/2015)" Previous topic | Next topic
The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Mon Mar-30-15 12:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Goodbye to Language 3D (Godard, 2014/2015)"

Water, trees, naked people, dog, boat docking, Hitler, old movies, guy shitting, dog shitting, more trees, blood gushing down a drain, same boat docking again, Mary Shelly writing "Frankenstein" in the woods, more bush, more dick, guy shitting again, more blood, book swap, someone gets shot, more dog, trees, FIN.

He tries some really cool shit with the 3D though. Generally with the 3D glasses, each lens is filtering out what the other eye sees. So each eye is seeing two slightly different images (shot by two cameras right next to each other) to give the illusion of 3D. What Godard actually does here a few times is MOVE one of the two cameras, while leaving the other where it is, so each eye is literally seeing two entirely different images. It's similar to having the two shots just kind of superimposed on top of one another but the difference is each eye is seeing a completely different image at the same time and it CONFUSES THE SHIT OUT OF YOUR BRAIN because that would never, ever happen in real life. Super weird, but then he'll slide the 2nd camera back into place and the two images will just kind of come back together again. I guarantee some forward-thinking director will use this shot in a real narrative movie within the next few years.

But yeah, it's really pretty fucking harshly avant garde. (The audio is also really experimental. Score keeps starting and abruptly stopping, and bouncing around to different speakers, and it's jarring every time.) Only hardcore adventurers should seek this shit out, but if you're into this kind of thing, you'll probably like it.

----

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
a guy shitting several times in 3D..I'll pass
Mar 30th 2015
the word "experimental" gets thrown around too casually
Mar 30th 2015
This is a very fair and accurate assessment:
Mar 31st 2015
about what I figured.
Mar 31st 2015
if you are interested in 3D photographically
Mar 31st 2015
RE: if you are interested in 3D photographically
Apr 01st 2015
it's not something you'll enjoy sitting through
Apr 01st 2015

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Mon Mar-30-15 12:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "a guy shitting several times in 3D..I'll pass"
In response to Reply # 0

colonelk
Member since Dec 10th 2002
5058 posts
Mon Mar-30-15 07:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "the word "experimental" gets thrown around too casually"
In response to Reply # 0

In this case, it's dead on.

It's literally just a series of experiments with stereoscopic imagery. Like Godard asked an assistant to go online and find a list of "rules for shooting 3D" and then he goes through them one by one and breaks them to see what happens.

Sometimes it's really incredible, sometimes it's annoying, mostly it's boring. Plus some occasional bush and a guy shitting.

The dog was cool though. I wish it was just Godard filming his dog.

--------

hell-below.com

The Analyst
4621 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 02:32 PM

3. " This is a very fair and accurate assessment:"
In response to Reply # 2

>Sometimes it's really incredible, sometimes it's annoying,
>mostly it's boring.

----

will_5198
Charter member
63111 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 04:18 PM

4. "about what I figured."
In response to Reply # 0

I have a semi-masochistic desire to see this, but will likely pass

--------

colonelk
Member since Dec 10th 2002
5058 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 08:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "if you are interested in 3D photographically"
In response to Reply # 4

Or, uh, "philosophically," then it's worth checking out.

But it's not really a movie. (And I say this as someone who loves Godard's 60s shit).

--------

hell-below.com

The Analyst
4621 posts
Wed Apr-01-15 08:41 AM

7. "RE: if you are interested in 3D photographically"
In response to Reply # 5

>But it's not really a movie. (And I say this as someone who
>loves Godard's 60s shit).

Funny you should say that, as I watched Masculin FĂ©minin not too long after having seen GTL3D, and it looked tame as shit in comparison. (Still an actual movie though, and a much better one at that.) It was kind of interesting to see some of the same ideas percolating way back then though, with shit like the audio cutting out abruptly, a random guy getting shot just off camera, etc. I've been chipping away at the 60s stuff, with Vivre Sa Vie being the clear highlight IMO.

----

zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Wed Apr-01-15 08:22 AM

6. "it's not something you'll enjoy sitting through"
In response to Reply # 4

but it's something you'll be glad you saw

thats how i felt at least

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #695157 Previous topic | Next topic