Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #693134

Subject: "Focus (Requa & Ficarra, 2015)" Previous topic | Next topic
jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Feb-20-15 09:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Focus (Requa & Ficarra, 2015)"
Fri Feb-27-15 07:39 AM by ZooTown74

Probably would've passed on this had Kristen Stewart not dropped out & let the Milf of Wall Street take over

Pretty good con flick even w/ the leads chemistry still bein a little clunky

Works best at the beginning when she's learning the ropes & what not on a smaller scale. Ramps up to a bigger score that requires a pretty big suspension of disbelief. Rest of the run time centers around another one in Argentina w/ some solid supporting work from Gerald McRaney. BD Wong & Adrian Martinez steal a couple scenes along the way as well.

Sorta sappy at times but much better when it's focused on the funny stuff instead

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yo, didn't KS drop out due to her concerns w/being seen w/Will Smith?
Feb 20th 2015
Age difference...which thankfully Robbie wasn't worried about
Feb 20th 2015
      You misspelled "race difference."
Feb 22nd 2015
           I don't doubt the smoke screen but how does Ben fit in?
Feb 24th 2015
           I think Ben was Will in Focus when KS was attached.
Feb 24th 2015
                Roger that
Feb 24th 2015
           ^
Feb 26th 2015
I fucks wit this shit
Feb 25th 2015
yeah..why Imax? lol
Feb 26th 2015
RE: I fucks wit this shit
Mar 07th 2015
FUN - and better than your average crime caper
Feb 26th 2015
Word? It looks good. I might peep this weekend.
Feb 26th 2015
The Soundtrack - way too many songs
Feb 27th 2015
it's okay
Mar 01st 2015
Not terrible, not amazing
Mar 02nd 2015
I dug it, mainly because it marked the return of Swagged-Out Will
Mar 02nd 2015
the chemistry (mild spoiler)
Mar 03rd 2015
3 years laters she just happened to be after a watch of Wills mark
Mar 04th 2015
I bought that more than the fact it took her that long to lift it
Mar 05th 2015
Liked it. Actually gave it 5 stars
Mar 07th 2015
Who thought it was a good idea to pretend Margot Robbie could act?
Mar 04th 2015
RE: Focus (Requa & Ficarra, 2015)
Jun 14th 2015

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Fri Feb-20-15 04:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yo, didn't KS drop out due to her concerns w/being seen w/Will Smith?"
In response to Reply # 0

lol!?

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Feb-20-15 10:56 PM

2. "Age difference...which thankfully Robbie wasn't worried about"
In response to Reply # 1

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 11:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "You misspelled "race difference." "
In response to Reply # 2

Affleck is 40.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 03:22 PM

4. "I don't doubt the smoke screen but how does Ben fit in?"
In response to Reply # 3

>
>Affleck is 40.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66742 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 03:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I think Ben was Will in Focus when KS was attached. "
In response to Reply # 4

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 04:05 PM

6. "Roger that"
In response to Reply # 5

thanks

spades
44257 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 02:46 PM

10. "^"
In response to Reply # 3

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Wed Feb-25-15 11:15 PM

7. "I fucks wit this shit"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-25-15 11:17 PM by bwood

Will Smith back.

A mash up of a few genres (drama, comedy, crime) it worked for me.

I thought the chemistry between Smith and Robbie was very good.

Also, thought the sound mixing was great especially the scene on the race track bwtween Smith, Rodrigo Santoro and the old dude.

The photography was excellent as well.

Don't know why this getting an IMAX release, but this shit is a very solid and entertaining con film b.

So glad Kristen Stewart passed on this. I don't she has the chops to pull of a role like this.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

rdhull
Charter member
33131 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 01:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "yeah..why Imax? lol"
In response to Reply # 7

>Will Smith back.
>
>A mash up of a few genres (drama, comedy, crime) it worked for
>me.
>
>I thought the chemistry between Smith and Robbie was very
>good.
>
>Also, thought the sound mixing was great especially the scene
>on the race track bwtween Smith, Rodrigo Santoro and the old
>dude.
>
>The photography was excellent as well.
>
>Don't know why this getting an IMAX release, but this shit is
>a very solid and entertaining con film b.
>
>So glad Kristen Stewart passed on this. I don't she has the
>chops to pull of a role like this.

ILL FLOW
Member since Nov 16th 2004
3221 posts
Sat Mar-07-15 10:25 AM

20. "RE: I fucks wit this shit"
In response to Reply # 7

Same here, I dug it.

Laughed a lot, had some tense scenes and i feel they sold the con well to the viewer when they were 'on the job'... as it were. lol

http://oneyoungsta.com/

Rolo_Tomasi
Member since Jan 29th 2004
1140 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 12:58 PM

8. "FUN - and better than your average crime caper"
In response to Reply # 0

This is the first Will Smith film i've seen at the cinema since MiB2 which I only saw because I was in Nairobi killing time before my flight. That is 12 and a half years ago.

But I was a big fan of him back in the day Bad Boys, Fresh Prince, Independence Day, Men in Black - I see why he became a big star - i've just avoided everything in the past decade where he hasn't had the same impact.

Margot Robbie looks cute throughout and she and Will Smith do have very good chemistry - although one scene was reminiscent (stolen and imitated) from Out of Sight with Clooney and JLo.

No need to report the plot - its a crime caper with double crossing - so it helps to know nothing when you go and see it.

Decent supporting cast, I really thought BD Wong stole the scene he was in and Martinez was amusing, McRaney made it feel too much like House of Cards but I grew to like him.

I thought the ending was weak and disappointing but overall I thought it was an enjoyable movie. Go see it.

Trailer: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/focus/

spades
44257 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 02:47 PM

11. "Word? It looks good. I might peep this weekend. "
In response to Reply # 8

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

Rolo_Tomasi
Member since Jan 29th 2004
1140 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 11:12 AM

12. "The Soundtrack - way too many songs"
In response to Reply # 0

There are some great songs used in the film and it has a well curated soundtrack right from the opening moments (I'm a Man-Child) the tracks used have been carefully selected. However, it seems every few minutes a new track would be playing and I found this quite off putting. Sometimes when you are watching a film you want no music to allow the actors dialogue to be able breathe. Or even better a taught, dramatic original score - was there an original score in this movie? There should have been for a crime caper.

Most people won't have a problem with the amount of music played in the movie but it bugged me throughout.

There is a listing here of all the songs they used and not just on the soundtrack

http://www.songonlyrics.net/soundtracks/focus-soundtrack-list.html

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sun Mar-01-15 07:26 PM

13. "it's okay"
In response to Reply # 0

For a 'Sting' movie, it never really feels like the stakes are set very high, and even at it's most intense, you never really feel like the main characters are ever really in danger. It always keeps the "fun" tone of Oceans 11, 12 etc...

I enjoyed it. Like another OKPlayer said, the ending is a little weak. The big twist isn't big enough IMO. The movie is a constant game of "who's playing who?" but when you find out in the end, it's not really a big deal.

Will Smith and the other lady have decent enough chemistry, but it would have been nicer to see another actress that could match him in charisma.

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6522 posts
Mon Mar-02-15 01:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "Not terrible, not amazing "
In response to Reply # 0

I mostly enjoyed it as I watched it and will likely never think about it ever again.

www.twitter.com/seandammit

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Mon Mar-02-15 10:10 PM

15. "I dug it, mainly because it marked the return of Swagged-Out Will"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah, as Wesley Morris pointed out in his review, he still looks tired, but at least he's not doing that dour shit that bores me to tears and made Seven Pounds and After Earth tough to watch.

The problem, such as it was, was Margot Robbie. I just didn't buy any chemistry they tried to have between her and Will. The age difference (he's 46 irl, she's 24) was in the back of my mind as well.

The "Super Bowl-ish" game sequence was outstanding, and was probably the thing that convinced Requa and Ficarra that they had a movie. B.D. Wong was great in that scene; I wouldn't have been mad had he joined up with Will's crew and they continued on their merry hustling way. Such as it is, I was a little confused by the three years later shit; maybe it's because I lost... wait for it... focus. Or, interest, as it were, after that "Super Bowl" sequence.

Anyway, I wasn't mad at it, but I couldn't help but wonder what someone like Soderbergh would have done with it...

________________________________________________________________________________
Your typing ain't as "incendiary" as you think it is.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 11:07 PM

16. "the chemistry (mild spoiler)"
In response to Reply # 15

I thought it worked between them as teacher/pupil, but not as lovers.

But see now, the whole thing with these sting movies is that you are constantly wondering if the characters have something up their sleeves, and are much more clever than they appear.

Buying the two of them as lovers, for me, implied that what he saw in her was his match. That makes the age gap way less awkward IMO.

Only by the end, there was absolutely nothing up her sleeve, and she really was just the small time con that was nowhere near on his caliber.

This was another one of those movies that left me thinking that the ending of the original screenplay much different. And better. Or maybe they shot a different ending and it tested poorly. So they gave it a very underwhelming final twist and a mostly happy ending.

Ceej
66742 posts
Wed Mar-04-15 07:54 AM

18. "3 years laters she just happened to be after a watch of Wills mark "

in Buenos Aires

cmon now

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 02:45 PM

19. "I bought that more than the fact it took her that long to lift it"
In response to Reply # 18

ILL FLOW
Member since Nov 16th 2004
3221 posts
Sat Mar-07-15 10:34 AM

21. "Liked it. Actually gave it 5 stars"

Now before ya'll jump in on me. '5 stars' to me doesn't equal 'classic' or 'perfect'.

To me 5 stars means I feel I recieved a 5 star experience. I laughed a lot there were some tense scenes that had me on the edge of my seat I like Will & Margot plus I dug a lot of the music.

As a package I feel I got the full experience needed to leave the theatre happy

http://oneyoungsta.com/

Ceej
66742 posts
Wed Mar-04-15 12:04 AM

17. "Who thought it was a good idea to pretend Margot Robbie could act?"
In response to Reply # 0

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 09:47 AM

22. "RE: Focus (Requa & Ficarra, 2015)"
In response to Reply # 0

Grade C-

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #693134 Previous topic | Next topic