Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #692321

Subject: "Poltergeist (2015) trailer: Kenan/Raimi " Previous topic | Next topic
The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 01:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poltergeist (2015) trailer: Kenan/Raimi "

I'd probably watch but I'm not sure if I would have an easy time not comparing it to the original. I went to the movies to see the original and to this day it is a classic to me. I'm hoping this one will be dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhr8d1yxSP8

Since 1976

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Poltergeist (2015) trailer: Kenan/Raimi
Feb 06th 2015
Eh, lol.
Feb 07th 2015
let's separate remakes/reboots from regular sequels
Feb 07th 2015
      I feel like, instead, that the studios are making the same amount
Feb 08th 2015
           the modernization act
Feb 08th 2015
                RE: the modernization act
Feb 08th 2015
                     which brings me back to my original point
Feb 08th 2015
                          I don't see people rejecting the idea of going to see remakes en masse
Feb 09th 2015
                               yeah, it's an uphill battle
Feb 09th 2015
I never understand these rants.
Feb 09th 2015
      RE: I never understand these rants.
Feb 09th 2015
The trailer actually looks pretty good.
Feb 06th 2015
This international one looks even better
Feb 06th 2015
      This trailer is convincing me even more to catch this flick.
Feb 06th 2015
           MGM was supposed to do this remake a long time ago
Feb 07th 2015
           You know? I think I remember reading about a Poltergeist remake...
Feb 07th 2015
           That "Clear ya minds...they already know what scares ya" line
Feb 09th 2015
Not a big horror fan but the original is one of my favorites, I'm there
Feb 06th 2015
that doll though
Feb 06th 2015
that doll though
Feb 06th 2015
I can't front. When I first saw the teaser....
Feb 06th 2015
RE: I can't front. When I first saw the teaser....
Feb 06th 2015
      You're talking as if I said it couldn't hang with the original.
Feb 06th 2015
           no, I was agreeing w/you..gtfoohbs was saying Im scared lol
Feb 06th 2015
                OHHH ok, lol, I feel you.
Feb 07th 2015
LISTEN. Poltergeists I & II scared the dogSHIT out of me as a toddler
Feb 07th 2015
This looks pretty good, so long as it keeps the characters in focus
Feb 07th 2015
You're right. The original was highly relatable.
Feb 07th 2015
There's a reason critics screenings were only 4 hours b4 it opened
May 21st 2015
damn - I was hoping this was good
May 22nd 2015
DAMN!!!
May 22nd 2015
Saw it on Friday. Came here to post that
May 24th 2015
      Are the first Insidious movies good?
May 25th 2015
           I thought the first was decent. The 2nd was okay.
May 26th 2015
           yes they're good
May 28th 2015
           I enjoyed the first, until the last half of the movie
May 29th 2015
                yeah the last part was goofy as fuck.
May 30th 2015
                I was thrown off by the ending as well.
May 30th 2015
                     that is legit
May 30th 2015
I'd never seen any of the originals
May 30th 2015
looks like struggle
Jun 01st 2015
Meh!
Jun 25th 2015

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 08:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Poltergeist (2015) trailer: Kenan/Raimi "
In response to Reply # 0

i think hollywood relies on people who know and have seen the original films to see these remakes. hate watch or whatever, they get their money. i'm hoping people realize if they don't support these remakes by seeing them, the big studios lose a lot of their incentive to make them.

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Sat Feb-07-15 12:12 AM

12. "Eh, lol."
In response to Reply # 1

Every studio in Hollywood - ESPECIALLY in the wake of Marvel-mania - is mining the archives and IP deals they already have in place to find things that are franchisable. They're not going to stop until Marvel dows, which, as of current, shouldn't happen until 2020.

Often, that means going back to the vaults and remaking old stuff with hopes of being able to make sequels to the new versions. MGM, cash-strapped and battle-weary as it is, is especially trying to pull this off, with the continuing Bond films, Robocop, and now Poltergeist. The latter two remakes were planned years ago

Hell, there's a Hot Tub Time Machine 2 for a reason. They're also supposed to be remaking Mr. Mom. ANd if they'd figured out the rights issues with Universal, they were allegedly gonna try and remake "Child's Play" as well (the head of MGM in the 80s hated "Child's Play" and sold the sequel rights to Universal).

howisya
39983 posts
Sat Feb-07-15 09:30 AM

18. "let's separate remakes/reboots from regular sequels"
In response to Reply # 12

continuing the bond franchise or making a sequel to a movie without rebooting a franchise is something else from the spirit of what i was talking about, but i take your point. i realize these studios are going to keep rebooting their properties and remaking movies from the not too distant past, but adults going to see them only encourages the studios to keep trying, if not in general then at least with more sequels. you see how often they try with a reboot only not to be able to continue due to poor box office and reviews. i'm hoping the practice cools off separate from marvelmania. movie remakes aren't a new happening, but the rate and how recent the source material are ridiculous.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sun Feb-08-15 05:47 PM

19. "I feel like, instead, that the studios are making the same amount"
In response to Reply # 18

of remakes, but they're also making less films and therefore pumping the ones they are making harder.

Poltergeist is a 33 year old film (same age as me, yeesh, lol). The Ten Commandments was 33 years old when it was remade in 1956. Granted, a LOT happened in those 33 years cinematically - sound, _stereo_ sound, full color, widescreen - versus between Poltergeist's 33 years - digital special effects, digital film and surround sound - to where it felt like a longer amount of time, but it really wasn't.

MGM remade The Wizard of Oz only 14 years after the previous major film version.

Universal remade their Imitation of Life 25 years after the original, and you'll never find a soul on this planet that thinks they shouldn't've have.

Among smaller, less-known films, remakes of older material were far more frequent, and of course shorts and cartoons recycled plots (and in the case of The Three Stooges, footage) constantly.

howisya
39983 posts
Sun Feb-08-15 07:22 PM

20. "the modernization act"
In response to Reply # 19

i realize when i talk about remakes sometimes i refer to the remade movie as recent or not that old when sometimes these movies are my age or older. what i should be saying is that the studios try to justify these remakes in the name of modernizing of them, but i feel that is a often ruse and a deflection from the truth. a lot of the original stories aren't so long ago that now is very different. some stories already were set in the past or the future, and in still others the time didn't really matter. a lot of remakes are done because of special effects upgrades, and certainly those improve all the time, but it's kind of a flimsy reason to remake a movie instead of making a brand new one, which i'll address further in a moment. finally, a lot of movies are remade just because people don't want to read subtitles, hear foreign accents, or think about other cultures than their own, and that's just sad. i don't really object to the existence of remakes themselves because that would be stupid, there are remakes i like and love and, as you said, some of the most famous and even best movies of all time were themselves remakes, but recent years have felt like a frenzy to bring back still familiar properties in the pursuit of pure capitalism far more than art, and besides the repercussions that has on the kind of movies that are produced and what people see, i feel like the artists behind them (directors, writers, actors, etc.) would be better off using their talents to create and bring to the culture a new work. i know that's a personal judgment, but i think there is more going on than just my idealism and aging.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sun Feb-08-15 08:02 PM

21. "RE: the modernization act"
In response to Reply # 20

>but recent years have felt like a frenzy to bring
>back still familiar properties in the pursuit of pure
>capitalism far more than art, and besides the repercussions
>that has on the kind of movies that are produced and what
>people see, i feel like the artists behind them (directors,
>writers, actors, etc.) would be better off using their talents
>to create and bring to the culture a new work. i know that's a
>personal judgment, but i think there is more going on than
>just my idealism and aging.

Yeah, that is a lot of idealism, unfortunately. A lot of remakes are indeed made for commercial purposes - the term "film industry" is not used lightly - but to be clear, most studio films are made for commercial purposes. They aren't put into production unless someone can run numbers that show the studio has a chance of making a profit. However, the people working on these films sometimes have their choices of what to do - they may _want_ to work on the remake, or they may just be doing it for the money. Whatever the reason, studio films are very rarely pure expressions of art (there's too many people and circumstances involved in making a film for it to be a pure art unless we're talking either super-indie productions or "I'm rich enough to do what I want" productions), so it doesn't bother me.

howisya
39983 posts
Sun Feb-08-15 08:36 PM

22. "which brings me back to my original point"
In response to Reply # 21

that once the filmgoing public stops making these remakes such a lucrative cash cow for the studios, they will have less incentive to keep pumping them out and go back to the drawing board of new ideas. i think the demand for remakes is more artificial than real. people see them because they are what is getting made, like you said. those who don't know it's a remake or never saw the original would probably enjoy a new movie/story just as much, but it's easier and cheaper for the studios to go back to something that's already been developed and worked before, especially if they own the property. i know it's a vicious cycle, but if we keep seeing these remakes, we help keep the cycle going.

>so it doesn't bother me.

you know, people's motivations for making movies doesn't really bother me either, it's the end *product* that matters most, and there are enough movies to satisfy just about everyone, but it's what you said, http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=436934&mesg_id=436934&listing_type=search#604644 , the ideas that don't get a chance because of these remakes.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 08:06 PM

26. "I don't see people rejecting the idea of going to see remakes en masse"
In response to Reply # 22

They'll avoid seeing the ones they don't want to see like "Lone Ranger" and the like, but it'd take some sort of a campaign to stop audiences from attending each and every film remake that gets released.

The issue is that I don't think people care enough. Hell, Transformers 4 made a billion dollars worldwide. Why _wouldn't_ people go see a remake of "Short Circuit" or something?

howisya
39983 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 08:28 PM

27. "yeah, it's an uphill battle"
In response to Reply # 26

and i'm not even as dogmatic about it as may seem. if a studio wants to make a live action pg-13 movie based on a cartoon and toy line, fine. i'm more annoyed by movies that are remakes of other movies, especially ones that have remained popular (in the "collective conscious" and all that). i generally want people to realize their buying power. the people who don't care about remakes now are going to get older and the movies being remade are going to get more recent to them, so eventually they might see it my way and decide to stop going and stop feeding into the market for these things. think about how great (or at least good, cool, or otherwise notable) these movies are that are remade or up for remaking. most of those are originals or at least vastly different from any source material. let's get more great originals is all i'm really sayin'.

Monkey Genius
Member since Mar 04th 2005
8100 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 12:02 AM

23. "I never understand these rants."
In response to Reply # 1

Stories have been told and retold since the beginning of time. Before Hollywood. Before movies. Before TV or books or scrolls.

There's like 40 million different versions of Cinderella or Baba Yaga or whatever. Egyptian myths got Greek remakes got Roman reboots. It's artistic tradition to say: Lemme tell you this story my way. People are still trying to find new ways to spin A Midsummers Night Dream or Don Giovanni. But movies gotta be 'left alone' because...

----------------------------------
I have a webcomic: www.watchthecomic.com

My webcomic has a page: www.facebook.com/watchyourheadcomic

howisya
39983 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 09:50 AM

24. "RE: I never understand these rants."
In response to Reply # 23

retelling a story told in the same medium, especially recently, is supa lazy. these aren't fables passed on by ancestors, these are hollywood movie scripts already produced at least once. let's not conflate the two.

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 09:23 AM

2. "The trailer actually looks pretty good."
In response to Reply # 0

I haven't seen the original for a while, but this trailer was surprisingly good for being a remake of a classic and for being yet another haunted house/paranormal horror movie.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 09:43 AM

4. "This international one looks even better"
In response to Reply # 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liZvgU3baCs

>I haven't seen the original for a while, but this trailer was
>surprisingly good for being a remake of a classic and for
>being yet another haunted house/paranormal horror movie.

Neither have I & these aren't usually my cup o tea but I'm kinda stoked to see what they do w/ this one

The Wordsmith
17070 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 02:33 PM

7. "This trailer is convincing me even more to catch this flick."
In response to Reply # 4

And that's despite me finding the paranormal subgenre to be tired and clichéd.

Since 1976

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sat Feb-07-15 12:05 AM

11. "MGM was supposed to do this remake a long time ago"
In response to Reply # 7

about '08-ish, before their money troubles and eventual bankruptcy.

I'm giving them a conditional pass on the whole paranormal/haunted house thing.

The Wordsmith
17070 posts
Sat Feb-07-15 03:00 AM

17. "You know? I think I remember reading about a Poltergeist remake..."
In response to Reply # 11

...years ago on one of those lists of movies that were planned to come out in the near future.

Since 1976

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 11:29 AM

25. "That "Clear ya minds...they already know what scares ya" line"
In response to Reply # 7

sealed it for me

>And that's despite me finding the paranormal subgenre to be
>tired and clichéd.
>
>
>
>Since 1976

Ditto

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 09:32 AM

3. "Not a big horror fan but the original is one of my favorites, I'm there"
In response to Reply # 0

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 10:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"that doll though"

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 10:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "that doll though"
In response to Reply # 0

The Wordsmith
17070 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 02:28 PM

6. "I can't front. When I first saw the teaser...."
In response to Reply # 5

....which had that scene, I still jumped despite thinking it was going to be a jumpscare. That clown toy may give the original clown toy a run for its money, which is saying something since the original scene had me shook back in the day.

Since 1976

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 03:22 PM

8. "RE: I can't front. When I first saw the teaser...."
In response to Reply # 6

>.... That clown toy may give the
>original clown toy a run for its money, which is saying
>something since the original scene had me shook back in the
>day.

this new clan runs circles around the original

when he shined the light on it and it froze up like it was just movin

gtfoohwtbs lol...

thats scarier than any damn poltergeist

The Wordsmith
17070 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 08:23 PM

9. "You're talking as if I said it couldn't hang with the original."
In response to Reply # 8

Not sure why since I said it looks like it's gonna give the original a run for its money.

Since 1976

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 09:23 PM

10. "no, I was agreeing w/you..gtfoohbs was saying Im scared lol"
In response to Reply # 9

>Not sure why since I said it looks like it's gonna give the
>original a run for its money.
>
>
>
>Since 1976

The Wordsmith
17070 posts
Sat Feb-07-15 02:38 AM

15. "OHHH ok, lol, I feel you."
In response to Reply # 10

That new clown toy looks like it might have cats looking at their kids' toys suspiciously once they're home from the theater, lol.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sat Feb-07-15 12:15 AM

14. "LISTEN. Poltergeists I & II scared the dogSHIT out of me as a toddler"
In response to Reply # 5

this one looks like it could do the same to me as a grown person, lol.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sat Feb-07-15 12:15 AM

13. "This looks pretty good, so long as it keeps the characters in focus"
In response to Reply # 0

and doesn't go too far left into "Paranormal Activity" territory.

The strength of the original film was that it felt like a real family and real - almost mundane - people in an extraordinary situation. It was at least twice as scary to me as the average horror movie because it was happening not in some weird gothic, Addamsesque abode, but in a house like ours and on a street like ours. And the characters' reactions to the haunting (and some absolutely excellent direction by Steven Spiel, I mean Tobe Hooper) are what sold it.

The Wordsmith
17070 posts
Sat Feb-07-15 02:49 AM

16. "You're right. The original was highly relatable."
In response to Reply # 13
Sat Feb-07-15 02:53 AM by The Wordsmith

Anyone, during their childhood, who's seen a nearby tree right outside of their window at night while it's swaying due to wind or a rainstorm can relate to the creepiness factor of that image. Many of us have looked at that one toy (typically some type of doll or action figure) at night during bedtime that looked like it was going to come alive and attack at any moment. We can relate to how scary that particular piece of imagination felt.

Haunted houses, creepy campgrounds, etc., felt far, far away but a regular family in a regular neighborhood was what most of us were experiencing; thus making them getting haunted all the more creepy.

Since 1976

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Thu May-21-15 07:59 PM

28. "There's a reason critics screenings were only 4 hours b4 it opened"
In response to Reply # 0

tonight.

This shit is not that good. I struggled to give a fuck. The OG did a great job of making you care, here it sucks.

Also, while the 3D is good, it's mostly used for jump scares.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Fri May-22-15 12:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
29. "damn - I was hoping this was good"
In response to Reply # 28

Thanks for the heads up

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Fri May-22-15 12:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "DAMN!!!"

I really wanted this to be official tissue. SMH

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sun May-24-15 07:59 AM

31. "Saw it on Friday. Came here to post that"

It is bad.

Sam Rockwell actually does a really good job. Maybe better than Craig T. Nelson did. I can only guess that he owed someone a favor or needed the money because his performance is too good for the movie. And...you don't care about the rest of the family. The mom in particular is so poorly written...

Looking back, the original wasn't perfect, but all the mistakes of the original are even worse here. I thought the original was at least spooky until they go crazy with the fx a little over halfway through it. The scariest part of the movie for me? The scene with the chairs.

This however is never scary, and once they really bring in the fx it just keeps getting worse.

I would say skip this one and just wait for Insidious 3. Even if that is bad, it'll probably be better than this.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon May-25-15 09:47 PM

32. "Are the first Insidious movies good?"
In response to Reply # 31

Never caught any of them.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Tue May-26-15 06:26 AM

33. "I thought the first was decent. The 2nd was okay."
In response to Reply # 32

Neither of them are bad.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu May-28-15 05:17 AM

34. "yes they're good"

The first was really good.

I probably liked the second more than bwood did. I thought it did a great job furthering the story and developing the characters instead of just being more than the same.

They're both worth watching, for sure.

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Fri May-29-15 08:40 AM

35. "I enjoyed the first, until the last half of the movie"

The last bit ruined the entire movie for me.

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

tingum
Member since Apr 07th 2007
662 posts
Sat May-30-15 12:25 AM

36. "yeah the last part was goofy as fuck."
In response to Reply # 35

-----

god blessin all the trap niggas.

The Wordsmith
17070 posts
Sat May-30-15 08:53 AM

37. "I was thrown off by the ending as well."
In response to Reply # 35

That's why I have no desire to explore the sequels.

Since 1976

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sat May-30-15 07:10 PM

39. "that is legit "
In response to Reply # 37

All the problems with the second half of the original are even worse in the remake.

The only reason I didn't hate the original back in the day was that I saw it as a kid.

So yes, after the setup, the new one becomes a showcase for soon to be embarrassingly dated special effects.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sat May-30-15 01:33 PM

38. "I'd never seen any of the originals"
In response to Reply # 0

I was bored to tears

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 09:16 PM

40. "looks like struggle"
In response to Reply # 0

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Thu Jun-25-15 03:32 PM

41. "Meh!"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm probably the only one here who liked it. I watched it and then watched Insidious Chapter 3 and I enjoyed Poltergeist a lot more. More to see.
It was not really a horror movie. It reminded me of a bland homage to the old Spielberg flicks from when I was a kid. The interaction between the kids and the magic elements, I guess.It didn't take itself too seriously.Some Sam Raimi infused Sam Rockwell being Sam Rockwell, walking that line between comedy and dramatic performance without skipping a beat. I can't put it in the same lane as the original but I was entertained.

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #692321 Previous topic | Next topic