Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #687981

Subject: "What have you watched lately? November 2014" Previous topic | Next topic
Rolo_Tomasi
Member since Jan 29th 2004
1140 posts
Sun Nov-02-14 10:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What have you watched lately? November 2014"

I'm working my way through Game of Thrones quickly and from the start. I should be done in a week.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Fallen Angels (1995) Dir: Wong Kar Wai
Nov 02nd 2014
The Night of the Hunter (1955) Dir: Charles Laughton
Nov 02nd 2014
RE: The Night of the Hunter (1955) Dir: Charles Laughton
Nov 07th 2014
RE: Divergent (2014)
Nov 04th 2014
RE: Citizen Kane (1941)
Nov 07th 2014
RE: Citizen Kane (1941)
Nov 11th 2014
      RE:I really enjoyed Jane Eyre(1943) and Compulsion (1959)
Dec 01st 2014
a few pretty good ones
Nov 08th 2014
Dead Man (Jarmusch 1995)
Nov 09th 2014
i watched The Navigator (1924) last night on a whim
Nov 10th 2014
True Detective and Godzilla (2014)
Nov 10th 2014
True Detective A+ and Godzilla D-
Nov 11th 2014
The Eric Andre Show and Bamboozled
Nov 10th 2014
i love bamboozled and bulworth
Nov 11th 2014
Game of Thrones
Nov 11th 2014
Currently working through Penny Dreadful Season 1
Nov 11th 2014
Breathe In: Cause me & Felicity Jones gotta thing goin on
Nov 12th 2014
The Crying Game (1992, Dir: Jordan)
Nov 16th 2014
nice film
Nov 16th 2014
LOVE the 90s UK vibe throughout
Nov 16th 2014
The Oh in Ohio (2006, Dir: Kent)
Nov 16th 2014
November Man
Nov 16th 2014
Sorcerer (1977) Dir: Friedkin
Nov 18th 2014
RE:Sin City 2 A Dame To Kill For (2014)
Nov 19th 2014
Come Early Morning (2006) Dir: Joey Lauren Adams
Nov 20th 2014
The Verdict (1982): Dir: Sidney Lumet
Nov 22nd 2014
Animal Kingdom (2010) Dir: David Michôd
Nov 24th 2014
RE: What have you watched lately? November 2014
Nov 25th 2014
too late to edit
Nov 25th 2014
These:
Nov 26th 2014

Rolo_Tomasi
1140 posts
Sun Nov-02-14 10:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Fallen Angels (1995) Dir: Wong Kar Wai"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm a fan of In The Mood For Love and to a lesser extent 2046 but I thought Fallen Angels was quite possibly the worst film I have seen. Hard to believe it is by the master director Wong Kar Wai. Fortunately other people I watched it with also said it was among the worst they had ever seen.

So I go online and I think Village Voice's critic regarded it as the finest film of the decade (90s). What a pretentious critic.

Rolo_Tomasi
1140 posts
Sun Nov-02-14 10:37 AM

2. "The Night of the Hunter (1955) Dir: Charles Laughton"
In response to Reply # 0

Robert Mitchum as travelling Reverend Harry Powell who is also a serial killer which bombed at the box office upon release and Charles Laughton never directed another film. However, it is now seen as culturally significant and has influenced many directors.

I wonder what it would have been classified as when it was released. Possibly horror? Likely film noir and it is tense at times but not scary. Even though it is only 90 minutes the film does drag at times. Very heavy moral tone throughout.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048424/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Fri Nov-07-14 09:28 PM

4. "RE: The Night of the Hunter (1955) Dir: Charles Laughton"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm with you on this one. TNOTH is a very good film not a great one.
Grade B+

maternalbliss
2553 posts
Tue Nov-04-14 11:11 PM

3. "RE: Divergent (2014)"
In response to Reply # 0

Gosh i really enjoyed this. It is not groundbreaking but overall it's alright. I enjoyed this more than The Hunger Games 1 and 2.
Grade B

maternalbliss
2553 posts
Fri Nov-07-14 11:02 PM

5. "RE: Citizen Kane (1941)"
In response to Reply # 0

Everybody here knows i am often at odds with critics especially when it comes to critically acclaimed movies. Y'all now i do not consider Schindler's List, Skyfall,Lord of the Rings trilogy, Raging Bull,and Walle to be great films.

I know somebody gonna be mad but i gotta add Citizen Kane to the overrated list. Don't get me wrong i am not saying it is bad. That is definitey not the case. I was a bit underwhelmed by it. CK started off as a very dynamic film about an egotistical tycoon but somewhere along the middle it got into a lull. The latter half of the movie is a very average plot, imo.

Everything else is fine. Great hots and fine performances. CK is good just not one of the greatest of all time.

Grade B+

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Tue Nov-11-14 12:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "RE: Citizen Kane (1941)"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue Nov-11-14 12:23 PM by The Analyst

>I was a bit underwhelmed by it.

You're not remotely alone. I'd bet that the majority of people who watch this for the first time are underwhelmed by it, mostly because there are extremely unfair expectations. No movie should have to shoulder the burden of being called The Greatest Movie of All Time. Nothing can live up to that.

Which sucks, since it really is an excellent movie.

>Everything else is fine. Great hots and fine performances.
>CK is good just not one of the greatest of all time.

A big reason for its reputation comes from technical innovation and vast influence and other noteworthy circumstances around its release. (Almost the exact same reasons something like Sgt. Pepper's ranks #1 on Rollings Stone's greatest albums list when in a vacuum its not even The Beatles best album, let alone the best album of all time.) I do find that a lot of people come around on this the more they see it though.

Have you seen any other Welles joints?

----

maternalbliss
2553 posts
Mon Dec-01-14 11:06 PM

30. "RE:I really enjoyed Jane Eyre(1943) and Compulsion (1959)"
In response to Reply # 15

The long hot summer (1958) was ok. I did not enjoy it as mch bot it is still a solid flick. I will admit that the more i watch CK it migth grow on me some more. Again i thought it was very good not great.

Other films on my overrated list are,Spike Lee's Do the wrong thing, Pulp Fiction, The Graduate, Whose afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Mulholland drive.

ProgressiveSound
Member since Mar 11th 2003
2053 posts
Sat Nov-08-14 03:59 PM

6. "a few pretty good ones"
In response to Reply # 0

°Calvary
°Gone Too Far (British-Nigerian comedic movie)
°Time is Illmatic
°Free Angela & All Political Prisoners
°The Guest
°Boyhood

Rolo_Tomasi
1140 posts
Sun Nov-09-14 01:38 PM

7. "Dead Man (Jarmusch 1995)"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought this was mediocre and I went in with a clean slate. I was reminded that I've never really liked Johnny Depp much and think he is quite the limited actor. Okay at play aloof oddball characters, can do a bit of comedy but not a brilliant dramatic actor.

A lot of the William Blake poems went over my head as I'm not familiar with his poetry.

I thought the Neil Young electric guitar score was actually quite suitable for the movie even though I didn't like Young's music too much.

Jarmusch made the film look beautiful in black and white.

Good work from the supporting actors throughout, Billy Bob Thornton was good.

I don't get the whole psychedelic Western label. The revision on this film is huge, NYTimes critic AO Scott now regards it as one of the best films of the 90s, it definitely is not.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Nov-10-14 09:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "i watched The Navigator (1924) last night on a whim"
In response to Reply # 0

never got into silent film, but this was pretty funny... enjoyed it way more than i thought i would...him trying to sleep and fix breakfast were probably my fav parts

...i tried to watch Sherlock Jr next but i was falling out towards the middle...that trash scene was awesome though

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

Af-1
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
3461 posts
Mon Nov-10-14 09:04 AM

9. "True Detective and Godzilla (2014)"
In response to Reply # 0

'True Detective' was cool, really enjoyed it and I'd say worth the hype.

'Godzilla' I wasn't overly sold on though. Certain elements of it were good though and I definitely blew it by not seeing it on the big screen.

-----
Check me out, say hi...
Visit our soul/jazz/funk internet radio station, Blue-in-Green:RADIO: http://www.blueingreenradio.com/
https://www.mixcloud.com/Blue_in_Green_Sessions/
http://soundcloud.com/user305437292

Rolo_Tomasi
1140 posts
Tue Nov-11-14 11:37 AM

12. "True Detective A+ and Godzilla D-"
In response to Reply # 9

I can't say enough good things about True Detective. The best show on TV since The Wire.

Godzilla was a massive disappointment. They should have made it a hard R film and not a family friendly PG13. Bryan Cranston should have been the main actor in it and not killed off so early.

KINGGS
Member since Jan 01st 2007
1808 posts
Mon Nov-10-14 04:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "The Eric Andre Show and Bamboozled"
In response to Reply # 0

I blitzed the Eric Andre Show since the new season was coming (premiered last Thursday) and I gotta say, for anyone who might find bits and pieces of Tim & Eric funny, but not really something they can watch often, Eric Andre might be perfect for you.

It might even work for those of you that hate Tim & Eric, even. I haven't been here in a while, so it might be big here, IDK. It's dope though.

As far as Bamboozled goes, I liked it a lot. It's going to weigh heavy on my head for a while. As a young white dude who is always looking inward to make sure I'm not thinking like Rapaport does in this (and knows many who do), that character hit. Also know a lot of dudes like Mos' character (at least Mos in Sloan's apartment).

I looked at it in both a serious and satire light. I plan on watching it again to pick up on some things I missed or glossed over.

Really appreciate how much Spike accurately put the scope on all different sorts of people. Wish I could discuss the film on more forums without coming across idiots who think he just hates on white people in all his films.

---------

Go Bucs, Braves, Hawks!

twitter/kinggs

BRAINBANDITS.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Tue Nov-11-14 09:31 AM

11. "i love bamboozled and bulworth"
In response to Reply # 10

they are really maligned here, i've noticed

i'd like to watch bamboozled again now that the roots is a tv show house band and wonder if i'll feel better or worse after

Rolo_Tomasi
1140 posts
Tue Nov-11-14 11:47 AM

13. "Game of Thrones"
In response to Reply # 0

I blitzed the whole series in a week.

Season One: Very strong - a lot of characters to introduce

Season Two: More characters to introduce and far less interesting additions. I found this season boring.

Season Three: Far better. Exciting and Tense

Season Four: Excellent. Some of the best TV i have watched. This shows the benefit of playing the long game and having talented writing and deep character motivation which makes their actions believable. The last episodes of season four is perhaps the best in the series and worth all the time invested in the series.

Great acting and casting. I thought i'd be turned off by the fantasy setting but that has not been the case.

Looking forward to Season Five.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Tue Nov-11-14 12:00 PM

14. "Currently working through Penny Dreadful Season 1"
In response to Reply # 0

But the last 4 things I watched are:

Catching Fire: B+
Mr Dynamite: B
John Wick: A
The Strain Season 1: D

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Nov-12-14 02:39 PM

16. "Breathe In: Cause me & Felicity Jones gotta thing goin on"
In response to Reply # 0

Really felt for my Guy Pearce in this one

Makes for a nice companion piece to the previous Doremus/Jones collab Like Crazy

Almost best ending ever

Rolo_Tomasi
1140 posts
Sun Nov-16-14 09:09 AM

17. "The Crying Game (1992, Dir: Jordan)"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Nov-16-14 09:09 AM by Rolo_Tomasi

I've been wanting to see this film for a long time despite it being over 20 years old.

I thought it was very good. The acting throughout is superb. Stephen Rea as usual is great but I was taken in by Forest Whitaker's english accent, spot on for his character's background i think.

Nice to see Jim Broadbent in a small role looking a lot younger and thinner.

Jaye Davidson was good as Dil.

Superb screenplay dealing with many issues by Neil Jordan. I'm glad he got Oscar recognition for that.

Definitely worth seeing this if you haven't already.

howisya
39983 posts
Sun Nov-16-14 12:30 PM

19. "nice film"
In response to Reply # 17

>I was taken in by Forest
>Whitaker's english accent, spot on for his character's
>background i think.

that accent really threw me. it sounded jarring to me because i was so used to his american accent/natural voice.

>I've been wanting to see this film for a long time despite it
>being over 20 years old.

same. i watched it a couple years ago, having been aware of it and what i thought was its "twist" for 20 years. the movie was not what i expected, and i felt dumb for having waited so long to see it except that i had the maturity level to appreciate it better.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Sun Nov-16-14 08:51 PM

21. "LOVE the 90s UK vibe throughout "
In response to Reply # 17

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Rolo_Tomasi
1140 posts
Sun Nov-16-14 09:13 AM

18. "The Oh in Ohio (2006, Dir: Kent)"
In response to Reply # 0

Pretty awful film with poor screenplay and paper thin characters.

However, I quite liked the cast. Parker Posey is always watchable. Paul Rudd has charm most of the time. Danny Devito is usually amusing. Mischa Barton looks quite hot at times in this movie.

I just didn't believe anything happening in the film.

I know this was a low budget independent but I'm really surprised this film got made.

Avoid.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0422861/?ref_=nv_sr_1

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Sun Nov-16-14 08:50 PM

20. "November Man"
In response to Reply # 0

C+ or B-

could not stop watching but the end kinda fucked the whole movie up.

could have been better if the story were edited differently

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Rolo_Tomasi
1140 posts
Tue Nov-18-14 06:25 PM

22. "Sorcerer (1977) Dir: Friedkin"
In response to Reply # 0

I wanted to love this film, it's from my favourite decade of films and when Hollywood actually made daring, ambitious films.

I got an hour through the film, half way through and just felt unable to give another hour of my life to complete watching it.

It just feels a mess, hugely indulgent filmmaking from William Friedkin where the production was spiralling out of control.

It is a hard film to watch, four vignettes start the film, two in foreign and different languages are well executed and intriguing though non-sequiturs. Then the film moves to the south American jungle. The casting is spot-on and the acting very good but it couldn't hold my attention at all. Maybe if i'd seen it in a cinema it would be different.

Critics panned it upon release as it went up against Star Wars but lately its become regarded as a classic or a masterpiece. It really is not. Maybe somewhere in between if you have the patience.

Cinephiles and film enthusiasts might want to give it a try.

The Tangerine Dream score sounds so dated even if it was ground breaking at the time. Not nearly as good as Giorgio Moroder's score for Midnight Express the following year.

maternalbliss
2553 posts
Wed Nov-19-14 02:50 AM

23. "RE:Sin City 2 A Dame To Kill For (2014)"
In response to Reply # 0

A solid follow up to the pedophilic masterpiece.
Grade B

Rolo_Tomasi
1140 posts
Thu Nov-20-14 07:33 PM

24. "Come Early Morning (2006) Dir: Joey Lauren Adams"
In response to Reply # 0

Another film i've been meaning to see since release and only just got around to it.

First of all: Ashley Judd in this film looks exceptionally beautiful. Even when she is dressed down in t-shirt and jeans, just wow. Absolute knock out.

The film is about a 30 something year old woman Lucy in Arkansas who is a hard drinking, independent girl unable to form relationships with men. This is largely because of the profoundly dysfunctional life long relationship she has with her (alcoholic) father.

The film is written and directed by Joey Lauren Adams who I only know from Chasing Amy and while the screenplay probably has a fair amount of subtext it is quite obvious this is her directional debut and only film helmed so far in her career. How much is autobiographical? This 90 minute movie is filled with melodrama and feels like it could have been an hour long episode of a tv show. It was okay but I can see why it didn't make its money back at the box office. Judd gives a performance of some substance.

Tim Blake Nelson has a tiny role, Laura Prepon (OITNB) is Kim who lives with Lucy. I swear i've seen another actor who looks exactly like Wally Welch in this but is more famous. Maybe from the film Lone Star?

Jeffrey Donovan and Ashley Judd make for a very attractive leading lady and leading man.

Rolo_Tomasi
1140 posts
Sat Nov-22-14 10:38 AM

25. "The Verdict (1982): Dir: Sidney Lumet"
In response to Reply # 0

This held my attention throughout - the story isn't particularly strong if considered in current day but was probably far more substantial over 20 years ago.

Good screenplay from David Mamet and excellent direction by Lumet. I noticed afterwards this is number four on the American Film Institute's top 10 of Court room dramas. I need to watch the top three because for lawyers talking this was riveting.

The acting is top class with first rate performances from Paul Newman and James Mason. Charlotte Rampling is very good in a supporting role. This was the year of Gandhi at the Oscars so The Verdict went home empty handed.

It has aged this film but the acting and directing brilliance endures.

Rolo_Tomasi
1140 posts
Mon Nov-24-14 08:52 PM

26. "Animal Kingdom (2010) Dir: David Michôd"
In response to Reply # 0

Excellent, gritty Australian crime drama with top class character acting.

A few too many (unbelievable) twists but overall a plot of some substance.

Wish Guy Pearce had been cast in a different character, perhaps as one of the crime family.

James Frecheville as "J" was very good for someone so young.

Ben Mendelsohn as the manipulative and deceitful motherfucka Pope. No wonder he has got a lot of work recently, a truly great actor.

howisya
39983 posts
Tue Nov-25-14 07:08 AM

27. "RE: What have you watched lately? November 2014"
In response to Reply # 0

NBCUniversal Short Film Festival (2014)
Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex But Were Afraid To Ask
Turner & Hooch
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Seven Up
Cul-De-Sac
Cooley High
House Of Usher (1960)
Three Amigos
Kevin Hart: Seriously Funny
Interstellar
Burn (2012)
The Masque Of The Red Death (1964)
R.E.M.: Tourfilm
Fright Night (1985)
Nightcrawler
Atlantic Records: The House That Ahmet Built
Birdman Or (The Unexpected Virtue Of Ignorance)
High Anxiety
End Of Watch
The Dictator (2012)
Neighbors (1981)
State Of Grace
She's Gotta Have It
Going Berserk

Intruders - Season 1
Fallen Angels

howisya
39983 posts
Tue Nov-25-14 08:47 AM

28. "too late to edit"
In response to Reply # 27

>Fallen Angels

typo (Fallen Angel, the miniseries)

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Wed Nov-26-14 01:25 PM

29. "These:"
In response to Reply # 0

A Most Wanted Man @@@@
Interstellar @@@ 3/4
X-Men: DoFP @@@ 3/4
Dear White People @@@ 3/4
Obvious Child @@@ 1/2
The Purge: Anarchy @@@
Edge of Tomorrow @@ 1/2
Hercules @@ 1/2
The Giver @ 1/2