Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #687494

Subject: "The Gambler (Wyatt, 2014)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Wed Oct-22-14 12:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Gambler (Wyatt, 2014)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiiaoUnkMvQ

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Very cool trailer.
Oct 22nd 2014
After RISE, I have a lot of faith in Wyatt.
Oct 22nd 2014
Me too. Now all we need is that Selma trailer
Oct 22nd 2014
Great performances, well crafted rental
Nov 14th 2014
it's an adaptation of the Dostoevsky novella, right?
Nov 27th 2014
Yea nigga. I'm not feeling this. At all. This is gonna get lost
Nov 25th 2014
Cooler than expected, actually.
Nov 28th 2014
The Rambler
Dec 17th 2014
spoiler
Dec 26th 2014
heads up - the 1974 version starring James Caan is on.....
Dec 26th 2014
Should I see this this weekend: yes or no
Jan 09th 2015
After seeing how we've disagreed as of late, I'm afraid to answer, lol.
Jan 09th 2015
we agreed about Foxcatcher
Jan 09th 2015
      And thank God we did.
Jan 09th 2015
Watch the original on Netflix
Jan 09th 2015

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed Oct-22-14 12:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Very cool trailer."
In response to Reply # 0

Granted, having John Goodman do a monologue is a great idea for any trailer.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Oct-22-14 01:23 PM

2. "After RISE, I have a lot of faith in Wyatt."
In response to Reply # 0

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

bwood
8614 posts
Wed Oct-22-14 01:33 PM

3. "Me too. Now all we need is that Selma trailer"
In response to Reply # 2

and all the major contenders will have at least a trailer.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Fri Nov-14-14 03:39 AM

4. "Great performances, well crafted rental"
In response to Reply # 0

On the bright side, there's some sharp dialogue delivered by some of the best in the business here. Wahlberg is solid but the supporting characters steal the show from John Goodman to Michael K. Williams to Richard Schiff in a small part.
Andre Braugher must have had some scenes cut out or something because he has a nothing part of one scene. It rivals his appearance in "Salt" as "Why the fuck are you wasting Andre Braugher on this role?"

And the direction/editing is great as you are on the edge of your seat with every bet, breathing a sigh of relief on the wins and gasping from the gut punch of a loss.

That being said, the "love" story with Brie Larsen is little more than a plot device and her character is woefully underwritten and makes little sense. Larsen does a lot with the little she has but it's just a bad part. The film seems to know nothing about basketball or how the NBA Draft proccess works and while newcomer Anthony Kelley is solid, his character also serves more as a pawn than a person. He has a nice monologue that seemingly comes out of nowhere.

But the part that just didn't grab me was the main struggle of the character - his gambling addiction, apparent desire to commit suicide by bookie, and fixation on all or nothing. I just never connected with the main character in any way. I saw little in the way of a soul or any kind of arc. He was a trainwreck that you can't look away from but don't really feel any strong emotion towards.

The film is worth checking out and I'm very interested in Wyatt's next project whatever it may be but it just didn't strike me as a film that you need to see in the theater, especially during the busy awards season.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu Nov-27-14 09:02 PM

6. "it's an adaptation of the Dostoevsky novella, right?"
In response to Reply # 4

That's how the story was.

The main character is so messed up and gone that you never really get the impression that his luck will change or he will turn things around or get a big break. It's all just about how far he's going to fall, and what happens when he hits bottom.

It's interesting that they made this, although admittedly with Marky Mark in the lead I'm not so excited to see it...

bwood
8614 posts
Tue Nov-25-14 07:57 PM

5. "Yea nigga. I'm not feeling this. At all. This is gonna get lost"
In response to Reply # 0

in the shuffle in general.

The dialogue got on my nerves at points. The soundtrack is a bit hipster-ish at times (M83 needs to stopped being used in media period). And the imagery is a bit heavy handed at times.

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Fri Nov-28-14 11:34 AM

7. "Cooler than expected, actually."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-28-14 11:35 AM by ZooTown74

Only issue is I wondered why we should care about a guy who doesn't appear to give a shit about himself, in regard to his self-destructive behavior

I still haven't quite figured out the answer to that, but for whatever reason I was impressed with Wahlberg's performance and the movie overall

I was glad Michael K. Williams got a lot of screen time as well

It'll be another movie where there will be frustration because we get hints and swatches of the character's backstory instead of full-on explanations as to why he is the way he is.

Not upset with it at all.

________________________________________________________________________________
Niggas made aliases.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Dec-17-14 11:35 AM

8. "The Rambler"
In response to Reply # 0

Had it's moments but they were few & far between a whole lot of weird scenes

Blackjack is just as boring on screen as it is for me in real life too

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Fri Dec-26-14 01:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "spoiler"
In response to Reply # 0

the movie should have ended 45 mins in when Jessica Lange gives him the money...or they should have not done that scene at all But I guess when you pay for Jessica Lange you deserve that bank scene.

Look, I get why they did that. He's a degenerate who get the 260k from his mom only to randomly lose it all like a fucking idiot, only to spend another hour getting back to that point again.

Brie Larson's character made NO sense.

Andre Braugher's presence made little sense.

Lamar's whole storyline was so unnecessary but I liked the kid that played him.

Whoever thought Wahlberg is believable as an intellectual Shakespearean-stanning English lit professor...well...meh.

This whole movie seemed like it had all the pieces in place to make a compelling feature about how sickening gambling can be, but so many of their characters were so obvioulsy edited down from being fully formed/realized plot devices and turned into completely nonsensical talking heads.

Michael K Williams stole the show, as he always does. Goodman was having fun. Wahlberg was going for it, but it just seems like such a poorly developed protagonist that gives the audience little insight into why we should root for him or even care at all.

Like many Wahlberg vehicles, seems like it'll make a good netflix stream in 9 months.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

DJ007
Member since Apr 06th 2003
5447 posts
Fri Dec-26-14 02:30 PM

10. "heads up - the 1974 version starring James Caan is on....."
In response to Reply # 0

Netflix streaming for anyone interested,just noticed this yesterday .

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 10:35 AM

11. "Should I see this this weekend: yes or no"
In response to Reply # 0

I've already got Taken 3 and Selma on the docket.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 10:44 AM

12. "After seeing how we've disagreed as of late, I'm afraid to answer, lol."
In response to Reply # 11
Fri Jan-09-15 10:45 AM by Frank Longo

Let me put it like this:

This movie is talky talky talky. I happen to think the dialogue is fantastic, and it allows actors like Michael K Williams and John Goodman to REALLY shine, but it's a whole lot of existential philosophizing, and much of it is from Wahlberg.

Wahlberg has to fill two pairs of shoes here: the self-loathing, nearly suicidal lout (in which he shines), and the brilliant novelist/lit professor (in which... well, he does his best, but it's fucking Mark Wahlberg waxing for 10 minutes about anti-Stratfordian theory and how it pertains to the talent of writers, and you may as I did sit there and go, "you're Mark Wahlberg, you don't read, much less write NYT best-sellers and Shakespeare").

So it's mixed results. However, since I found the dialogue to be awesome, the supporting turns to be really fun, and I really sort of loved the balls on a studio film to essentially make its lead character a self-destructive-to-the-point-of-admittedly-suicidal asshole... I was entertained.

But again, you and I haven't seen eye to eye on the last couple of flicks I've seen you post about, so what do I know? haha

As long as Selma is Priority 1. I'd be stunned if you didn't like that.

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 10:53 AM

13. "we agreed about Foxcatcher"
In response to Reply # 12

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 03:59 PM

14. "And thank God we did."
In response to Reply # 13

Thankfully, it seems to be awfully weak heading into Oscar season.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 05:22 PM

15. "Watch the original on Netflix"
In response to Reply # 11

Save your money. I liked The Gambler more than most but it's a rental at best. There are probably other movies out that you should see instead of it. (Granted, it seems like the same could be said for Taken 3.)

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #687494 Previous topic | Next topic