Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #684693

Subject: "Foxcatcher (Miller, 2014)" Previous topic | Next topic
ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sat Aug-30-14 07:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Foxcatcher (Miller, 2014)"

Steve Carell and Channing Tatum in a movie about amateur wrestling and such

Of course the "buzz" is that Carell's going to the Oscars

Trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PypvNBTdxnY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acr8cDjbRZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iid93Bx2g-U

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Gender Coons Gotta Go

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Bleak, engaging, yet reserved and vague. The 3 leads were very good.
Nov 02nd 2014
This has been held back 12 months
Nov 02nd 2014
Great execution of a flawed script.
Nov 09th 2014
Excellent film.
Nov 13th 2014
Not a fan. Too held away at arm's length for me.
Nov 15th 2014
lol curdled swipe
Nov 17th 2014
?
Nov 18th 2014
      "who da fuck writes like that"
Nov 18th 2014
           Is "curdled" that unusual a word?
Nov 18th 2014
agreed on ALL points
Mar 16th 2015
This movie isn't nearly as interesting as it thinks it is, and
Dec 27th 2014
So... Mark Schultz apparently didn't care for the film.
Jan 01st 2015
Jesus. He doesn't sound stable.
Jan 06th 2015
I found this movie disturbing.
Jan 06th 2015
Take a pass on this one
Jan 13th 2015
the awards love for this movie is absolutely bizarre
Jan 21st 2015
They were hyping this ish out this movie before it was released
Jan 23rd 2015
All I saw was Carell's face looking like a nutsack.
Jan 28th 2015
RE:Bliss movie award nominee, most overrated film of 2014(spoiler)
Jan 29th 2015
the opening wrestling scene between the brothers
Mar 16th 2015

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sun Nov-02-14 06:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Bleak, engaging, yet reserved and vague. The 3 leads were very good."
In response to Reply # 0

More later.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Some of you post as if rap music taught you how to be hard.

Rolo_Tomasi
Member since Jan 29th 2004
1140 posts
Sun Nov-02-14 10:22 AM

2. "This has been held back 12 months "
In response to Reply # 0

The studio felt the awards season was too crowded in 2013/14 so they sat on Foxcatcher for 12 months and previewed it in Cannes where it generated some strong buzz.

I do wonder whether this year will be any less crowded especially Best Actor where Cumberbatch and Redmayne seem likely to get nominated for sure.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Sun Nov-09-14 09:20 PM

3. "Great execution of a flawed script."
In response to Reply # 0

Foxcatcher really needed to focus on one character and tell us that story. Instead, we get kind of hints of where everyone's at. Case in point is Steve Carrell as DuPont. He does a great job as an off-kilter scion of Great American Wealth however, in the screening, Bennett Miller said that nobody could believe that John DuPont would have done what he did but in. In the movie, both because of Carrell's portrayal and the scenes they showed of DuPont, you definitely know something is wrong with him. (Also, I'm not sure how true Miller's comment is; one report had DuPont pulling a machine gun on a wrestler at one point.)

Similarly, Ruffalo is great as Dave Schultz but we don't really get too see much struggle from him. Everything is cut and dry in a situation where you know that couldn't have been the case.

There's not much dialogue but a lot of it is just characters explaining how they feel. The most powerful scenes are, no surprise, the ones where we get to watch the emotions unfold. The scene in which he tries to impress his mother by "coaching" is pretty heartbreaking even though you know the mother is right.

Still, it was an engaging albeit bleak movie. I'd say it's more of a rental but it's worth seeing.

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Thu Nov-13-14 07:39 AM

4. "Excellent film."
In response to Reply # 0

The film was great in that it focused primarily on the relationship between the three leads and the psychological effects of all three leading up to the incident.

To me this is Bennett Miller's best film. Everything here comes together. Really well done. If more than anything, the prosthetic and make up on all three where all very well done and that shit deserves the Best Make-Up Oscar.

Also, Channing really impressed me in this shit.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sat Nov-15-14 01:48 AM

5. "Not a fan. Too held away at arm's length for me."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Nov-15-14 03:26 AM by Frank Longo

Here's a Matt Lynch quote I agree with:

"depathologizing du Pont seems like a mistake to me. the man was a delusional paranoid schizophrenic, which this completely elides in favor of making him a symbol in a rather curdled swipe at American exceptionalism. it's a finely (but i would argue unimaginatively) crafted tale of thwarted masculinity and entitlement and exposed mythology, but i feel like there's an awful lot of that going around anyway, and this doesn't bring much to the table."

Other thoughts:
- Ruffalo the real MVP
- too much variation between Psych 101 and maddeningly vague motivations
- per usual, a Miller film looks great
- per usual, a Miller film feels too long
- despite that, per usual, I always like the actual cuts in Miller films
- SH's point about the script I 100% agree with
- the audience I saw it with laughed at Carell a lot... including in scenes I'm pretty sure are meant to be serious

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Mon Nov-17-14 10:55 PM

6. "lol curdled swipe"
In response to Reply # 5

curdled swipe lol

>Here's a Matt Lynch quote I agree with:
>
>"depathologizing du Pont seems like a mistake to me. the man
>was a delusional paranoid schizophrenic, which this completely
>elides in favor of making him a symbol in a rather curdled
>swipe at American exceptionalism. it's a finely (but i would
>argue unimaginatively) crafted tale of thwarted masculinity
>and entitlement and exposed mythology, but i feel like there's
>an awful lot of that going around anyway, and this doesn't
>bring much to the table."
>
>Other thoughts:
>- Ruffalo the real MVP
>- too much variation between Psych 101 and maddeningly vague
>motivations
>- per usual, a Miller film looks great
>- per usual, a Miller film feels too long
>- despite that, per usual, I always like the actual cuts in
>Miller films
>- SH's point about the script I 100% agree with
>- the audience I saw it with laughed at Carell a lot...
>including in scenes I'm pretty sure are meant to be serious

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue Nov-18-14 01:07 AM

7. "?"
In response to Reply # 6

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Tue Nov-18-14 08:52 AM

8. ""who da fuck writes like that""
In response to Reply # 7

- Jason Mewes

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue Nov-18-14 10:14 AM

9. "Is "curdled" that unusual a word?"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue Nov-18-14 10:16 AM by Frank Longo

Or "swipe"?

This wasn't some published prepared piece either, these comments were just from his letterboxd account. It might not have been the first turn-of-phrase I'd choose, but as I read things that I think are poorly or strangely written all the time, this didn't strike me as either. *shrug*

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 01:44 PM

19. "agreed on ALL points"
In response to Reply # 5

i think I enjoyed it a little more than you, but you hit the nail on the head here

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Sat Dec-27-14 02:31 AM

10. "This movie isn't nearly as interesting as it thinks it is, and "
In response to Reply # 0

Carrell doesn't deserve shit. They made him look weird with makeup and he talked slow...OOOOO WHAT A PERFORMANCE!! I agree with Frank that Ruffalo was the best, but even he doesn't really have a performance worth nominating...it's just a good, subtle, by-the-books performance for him that he can do in his sleep.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Jan-01-15 11:34 PM

11. "So... Mark Schultz apparently didn't care for the film."
In response to Reply # 0

Really tweeted himself into a lather here.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/1/7473855/mark-schultz-tweets-extreme-anger-director-foxcather-channing-tatum-steve-carrell

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 08:06 PM

13. "Jesus. He doesn't sound stable."
In response to Reply # 11

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 06:47 PM

12. "I found this movie disturbing."
In response to Reply # 0

It makes me fee very unsettled and gives me anxiety. Not in a bad way, just in a subtle and noticeable way. Every scene is on the brink of explosion or something weird. Overall a great film.

Rolo_Tomasi
Member since Jan 29th 2004
1140 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 08:03 PM

14. "Take a pass on this one"
In response to Reply # 0

Out of all the films released in award season I think this is the least convincing and to me this has been a very poor year for films.

There is little to like in Foxcatcher, the pacing of the film is far too slow. Tatum has zero charisma, Steve Carell is a limited actor. Ruffalo of course is the best thing in it but his character is underwritten.

I can't recommend this film at all.

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 03:32 PM

15. "the awards love for this movie is absolutely bizarre"
In response to Reply # 0

terrible movie, awful pacing, awful choices. steve carrell (who i'm a fan of) gives seriously one of the worst performances you'll ever see nominated for an oscar. it's really difficult to describe how badly he misfires here. not sure what he was even going for, but the end result is wooden, flat, dead, soulless. at his best, he rises to creepy, but mostly you're just left wondering how a guy can possibly talk and act like this (perhaps like an alien who just landed on earth and is having his speech translated into english in real-time by an advanced computer) and no one around him comments on it.

indefensibly bad performance. i'm absolutely baffled as to what people see in it. i realize people are blown away like morons whenever a funny guy plays a dark role (oh my god he's actually so deep who could have seen this coming what a performance!), but is that all we need now? shouldn't the performance actually deliver something? anything?

the choice to put him in makeup and prosthetics was laughably bad. there's no reason to do that. no one knows what dupont looks like. maybe he actually did have a frosty the snowman nose, but every time i saw it on carrell in profile, it took me way out of the movie.

channing tatum kind of follows suit with a performance that i guess was going for, like, what if bruce banner started turning into the hulk but only made it halfway. at least he showed some emotion at points though. ruffalo steals the show by ACTING LIKE AN ACTUAL HUMAN BEING. nah, he's seriously good here, but carrell and tatum set the bar so low, it's hard not to shine.

as for the movie itself, it's a complete waste of time. the pacing is glacial, motivations are muddled, stakes are non-existent, nothing builds. i guess the real life dupont was a paranoid schizo. you get none of that here. the lack of insight is staggering. it's just like, and then one day he drove over and shot the guy and then the other guy joined the UFC and then the end thanks. seriously on my short list for worst movie of the year. save yourself two hours of life.

"i smack clowns with nouns, punch herbs with verbs..."

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Fri Jan-23-15 08:08 AM

16. "They were hyping this ish out this movie before it was released"
In response to Reply # 0

Was saying this was going to catapult B Miller to the first tier of A Hollywood directors.

Overhyped?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/

Anfernee
Member since Nov 11th 2004
24780 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 08:21 PM

17. "All I saw was Carell's face looking like a nutsack."
In response to Reply # 0

Although he did kind of resemble the real DuPont.

He was effectively creepy in some parts, but I couldn't take him that serious.

It was okay. Felt a little disjointed overall though.

Channing was aight, but Ruffalo was the real winner here.

http://www.angryasianman.com

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Thu Jan-29-15 10:28 PM

18. "RE:Bliss movie award nominee, most overrated film of 2014(spoiler)"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know who i will give this award to. Stay tuned.

An eccentric billionaire and his benefactor both experience mental stress due to their repressed homoeroticism. Now this is what they put on the screen but i say the two men had a relationship. See, Foxcatcher is telling you A story but not really telling you THE story. OK, i know y'all know what i am talking about.

I had high h hopes for Foxcatcher. I think there might have been an interesting story here. I think Foxcatcher should have been an odd, creepy and funny film.. But what the screenwriters gave us is this dark bizarre mess of a movie. I did not like the tone of the film. I did not like the look of the film.The movie is vague at times, just boring. Even though the acting is decent, imo it is not Oscar worthy.

This was a missed oppurtunity to ceate an intriguing film.

Grade C

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 01:44 PM

20. "the opening wrestling scene between the brothers"
In response to Reply # 0

is the best part of the movie

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #684693 Previous topic | Next topic