Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #682553

Subject: "Masters of Sex (Showtime) Season 2" Previous topic | Next topic
lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Mon Jul-21-14 12:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Masters of Sex (Showtime) Season 2"

Second episode in and it's already getting good again

This is a seriously underrated show
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Really no one else is watching ?
Jul 27th 2014
what theeee fuck, that was the longest boxing match ever
Jul 28th 2014
Loved it last season. Agreed its one of the most
Jul 29th 2014
"Dirty Jobs"
Aug 03rd 2014
Episode 5
Aug 14th 2014
I'm hoping it's temporary
Aug 15th 2014
I'd assume its temporary
Aug 15th 2014
I'm worried about this season in general
Aug 15th 2014
      I couldn't disagree more on the hotel episode
Aug 15th 2014
           agreed
Aug 15th 2014
           Might be the best episode of the series
Aug 16th 2014
Gunning for favorite thing on TV
Aug 29th 2014
Are they really...
Sep 02nd 2014
loved season 1.
Sep 03rd 2014
Not me
Sep 03rd 2014
Hrm
Sep 14th 2014
Will there be the same outrage for this ep as there was for the GoT rape...
Sep 15th 2014
doubtful
Sep 15th 2014
I'm back
Sep 17th 2014
Dumb blonde
Sep 29th 2014

lfresh
92696 posts
Sun Jul-27-14 09:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Really no one else is watching ? "
In response to Reply # 0

The fight episode btwn the "fight" and the baby hermaphrodite

I'm getting that mad men feeling again
The era and views are fascinating
And how little has changed
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

mashpg89
Member since Dec 08th 2004
2867 posts
Mon Jul-28-14 11:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "what theeee fuck, that was the longest boxing match ever"
In response to Reply # 0

A full boxing match is 36 minutes, 46 if you count time in between rounds. Yet Johnson & Masters had time to fuck, take a bath, eat dinner, fuck again, talk about their lives, flick the bean, talk deep into the night, and then drive all the way back home? I get the metaphor but it became beyond unrealistic and distracting.

I really liked parts of this episode but got annoyed with some of it, which I've realized is standard with this show. The character development and dialogue was strong, and it's interesting to watch Masters & Johnson's relationship unfold. I liked the boxing metaphor, but didn't need it to be clearly explained at the end.

My main knock is that this show becomes redundant with its constant focus on gender roles. I suppose that it's the time that we live in, yet they, blatantly in this episode, attack masculinity while praising femininity. there's not one positive male character on this show whereas all the females are portrayed as strong and independent women who are the benevolent geniuses behind the arrogant, immoral men.

Scarface_7
Charter member
10012 posts
Tue Jul-29-14 10:01 AM

3. "Loved it last season. Agreed its one of the most"
In response to Reply # 0

under the radar shows on television. I havent seen either ep of this season, tho, I need to hop on it...

..._...|..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = D @Warwizard

...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
COTW Afficianado, Dro

lfresh
92696 posts
Sun Aug-03-14 11:11 PM

4. ""Dirty Jobs""
In response to Reply # 0

The ending

Yes!
~~~~
~~~~

Mageddon
Charter member
4018 posts
Thu Aug-14-14 08:38 PM

5. "Episode 5"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayo, that scene where Virginia was taking control was mad sexy.

The storyline with Betty and Gene is so uninteresting to me. I don't know if throwing Sarah Silverman in the mix is gonna save it. I guess we'll find out.

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Aug-15-14 01:53 AM

6. "I'm hoping it's temporary"
In response to Reply # 5

>I
>don't know if throwing Sarah Silverman in the mix is gonna
>save it. I guess we'll find out.
>

~~~~
~~~~

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Fri Aug-15-14 05:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I'd assume its temporary"
In response to Reply # 6

Obviously Sheen dating Silverman played a part in her getting the guest spot. I actually thought she played the part effectively and she couldve very easily taken me completely off focus from the episode, but I thought she did just well enough to be interesting. BUT I did keep getting a bit annoyed at her very Sarah-esque punchline winks to the audience. If that makes sense. She's charismatic enough to not ruin the part, but she is not right for the long run of the show. Im guessing she makes 1 or 2 more episodes, tops.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

okaycomputer
Member since Dec 02nd 2002
8090 posts
Fri Aug-15-14 08:15 AM

7. "I'm worried about this season in general"
In response to Reply # 5

I thought this was one of the best things on TV last year, but I've found most of this year to be extremely dull. The hotel room episode a few weeks ago being an all-time low point.

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Fri Aug-15-14 05:50 PM

8. "I couldn't disagree more on the hotel episode"
In response to Reply # 7

i thought it was unique and exciting and an all around master class in acting and writing. it reminded me of The Fly episode of Breaking Bad.

The way they used the boxing match as a set piece and character in the episode was extremely well done...in my opinion. i really enjoyed it.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

Mageddon
Charter member
4018 posts
Fri Aug-15-14 06:01 PM

10. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 8

that episode was amazing.

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 06:37 AM

11. "Might be the best episode of the series"
In response to Reply # 8

Delajoo
Member since Jul 30th 2010
1331 posts
Fri Aug-29-14 11:17 PM

12. "Gunning for favorite thing on TV"
In response to Reply # 0

right up there with Louie & Game of Thrones.

Every character is just killing it for me right now, through and through. Especially Virginia. Lizzy Caplan is firmly my favorite actress going right now.

Can people stop sleeping and recognize?

-------------------
village.fm/okayplayer | @delajoo
"Whether you're a rock star or a garbage man, if you think about yourself all the time, you won't be very good at what you do." - Frusciante

lfresh
92696 posts
Tue Sep-02-14 07:06 AM

13. "Are they really..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm between them putting the least likely character smack dab into a civil rights
(Nice demonstration of how the more sympathetic husband was still like none of our business) and her about to have an affair...
~~~~
~~~~

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Wed Sep-03-14 01:46 AM

14. "loved season 1."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-03-14 01:46 AM by High Society

Watched the first 2 or 3 episodes of s. 2 and wasn't feeling it.
Anyone else have that problem and had a breakthrough?
Anyone else have that problem and still not feeling s.2?

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Wed Sep-03-14 05:33 AM

15. "Not me"
In response to Reply # 14

I think one of the first 3 episodes was the boxing match/hotel shit. That confirmed why this show is in my rotation.

lfresh
92696 posts
Sun Sep-14-14 10:37 PM

16. "Hrm"
In response to Reply # 0

Mrs masters don't know what to think

~~~~
~~~~

mashpg89
Member since Dec 08th 2004
2867 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 08:28 AM

17. "Will there be the same outrage for this ep as there was for the GoT rape..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hope I'm not the only one who can see the hypocrisy here. Those scenes with Dr. Langham & Flo Packer were cringe-worthy with how lightly and comical they were portraying sexual harassment. Let that have been a sleazy, male boss threatening to fire a female employee unless she slept with him, luring her into his apartment, and mentioning how aroused she was while she tries to say no and I'm sure that scene would have had a much different tone. Then afterwards Flo explains she's just trying to gain her sexy back as if that excuses it. Call a spade a spade, that was sexual harassment/rape and everybody who was upset over the Cersei & Jamie scene should write furious blogs over this one as well.

Getting tired of Bill's brother's self-righteous ass, although that last scene between them was great. Surprised Bill didn't kick the hotel door down and strike Virginia with his raging boner after all that testosterone.

I can't help but hate the mom because of her Leftovers role.

Good episode though. For the most part I'm really enjoying this season and I think it's much stronger than season 1.

Oh and Lizzie Caplan's titties

lfresh
92696 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 12:42 PM

18. "doubtful"
In response to Reply # 17

>Hope I'm not the only one who can see the hypocrisy here.
>Those scenes with Dr. Langham & Flo Packer were cringe-worthy
>with how lightly and comical they were portraying sexual
>harassment. Let that have been a sleazy, male boss threatening
>to fire a female employee unless she slept with him, luring
>her into his apartment, and mentioning how aroused she was
>while she tries to say no and I'm sure that scene would have
>had a much different tone. Then afterwards Flo explains she's
>just trying to gain her sexy back as if that excuses it. Call
>a spade a spade, that was sexual harassment/rape and everybody
>who was upset over the Cersei & Jamie scene should write
>furious blogs over this one as well.

i dont think they even gave a disclaimer which they should have
yes agreed that was rape/sexual harassment

btw part of the prob w/ GoT is they changed that scene from the book specifically for the titillation
rape...titillating smh*
~~~~
~~~~

lfresh
92696 posts
Wed Sep-17-14 10:34 PM

19. "I'm back"
In response to Reply # 17

Because I've only managed to find one piece mentioning it and the writer being disturbed by it

http://observer.com/2014/09/masters-of-sex-recap-2x10-below-the-belt/

"Which brings us to Cal-O-Metrics’ Flo and her new successful, handsome spokesman Austin. Flo forces Austin to have sex with her as a condition of his employment, and we’re all supposed to be sort of OK with it because the only reason he wouldn’t want to sleep with her otherwise is because of her looks and age? Even though this is sexual harassment actually beyond whatever screwed up dynamic Virginia and Bill have, we’re supposed to laugh about it, maybe? Like, Austin loves having sex so it’s not wrong? This really didn’t read as consensual, despite Flo’s claims that Austin enjoyed himself “twice.”"

~~~~
~~~~

lfresh
92696 posts
Mon Sep-29-14 12:28 AM

20. "Dumb blonde"
In response to Reply # 0

He kinda deserved that

Oh man she knew

And ugh Bill
smh*
~~~~
~~~~

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #682553 Previous topic | Next topic