Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #681877

Subject: "Exodus: Gods and Kings (Scott, 2014)" Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Jul-09-14 10:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Exodus: Gods and Kings (Scott, 2014)"

Pretty awesome that they got Boy George to play Ramses!

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/embed/exodus/trailer/video.html#video

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Not here for it
Jul 09th 2014
Even more whitewashed and clichéd than the trailer leds you to believe
Nov 18th 2014
And how the fuck is this PG-13 with all that brutal violence b?
Nov 18th 2014
      there's a Biblical curve to the MPAA ratings system
Dec 23rd 2014
Saw a trailer for this a month ago
Nov 19th 2014
RE: Saw a trailer for this a month ago
Dec 12th 2014
      That's how you afford to do indies
Dec 13th 2014
           I thought that was the purpose of the Batman Flicks
Dec 15th 2014
the trailer makes me want to throw things.
Nov 20th 2014
Replace the word awesome with terrible
Nov 21st 2014
This Variety review is so full of shit I doubt the reviewer believes
Dec 01st 2014
Nope
Dec 01st 2014
I hope this shit fails miserably
Dec 01st 2014
Im mad cause i love Kingdom of Heaven (Directors Cut)
Dec 01st 2014
Shit I forgot he did the 'good' cut of Kingdom of Heaven.
Dec 12th 2014
      Still haven't watched the director's cut yet but dug the original
Dec 12th 2014
           Put it high on the future watch list
Dec 12th 2014
           You GOTTA watch the DC
Dec 13th 2014
RE:Yawn
Dec 13th 2014
How did this get past the studio?
Dec 15th 2014
Probably the other way around.
Dec 15th 2014
the financiers in Spain ASKED for all those white folks:
Dec 23rd 2014
Conan on Exodus Casting:
Dec 17th 2014
lol @ people expecting a biblical movie about god to be accurate in cast...
Dec 17th 2014
I'll see it when it streams on Netflix/Prime
Dec 19th 2014
Why the fuck is this still anchored?! nm
Dec 26th 2014
LOL! Question of the moment...
Dec 27th 2014
Nigga made a post about it. Really?
Dec 27th 2014
      Y'all niggas...SMH....
Dec 27th 2014
did anyone even watch this movie?
Dec 28th 2014

SammyJankis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
6358 posts
Wed Jul-09-14 11:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Not here for it"
In response to Reply # 0

___

And who are you; the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?

www.twitter.com/JayTeeDee

www.juwandickerson.com

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Tue Nov-18-14 07:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Even more whitewashed and clichéd than the trailer leds you to believe"
In response to Reply # 0

John Turturro plays a Pharaoh. Marinate on that.

The political bent was a bit whitewashed.

Ridley Scott is parodying himself with this shit. Score, shots, tone everything.

I mean I fell asleep during some of the plagues.

The baby that Joel Edgerton held during a crucial emotion scene had me dying of laughter.

The only bright part of this movie that seemed well developed to me is the middle section when Moses starts a family in an oasis.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

bwood
8614 posts
Tue Nov-18-14 08:13 PM

3. "And how the fuck is this PG-13 with all that brutal violence b?"
In response to Reply # 2

Shit has mad wild blood and gruesome killings throughout this and it gets a PG-13?

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Tue Dec-23-14 10:22 AM

25. "there's a Biblical curve to the MPAA ratings system"
In response to Reply # 3

see also: Passion of the Christ

Rolo_Tomasi
Member since Jan 29th 2004
1140 posts
Wed Nov-19-14 06:04 PM

4. "Saw a trailer for this a month ago "
In response to Reply # 0

And thought this is a film I'll never see.

I can't believe Bale is wasting his prime on shit like this. Just taking the $$$$$.

Turturro is one of my favourite. Urgh to think of him hamming it up in this.

Ridley Scott is just living off his past reputation. Shut him down if he doesn't have anything interesting to say.

Is this expected to make a lot of money in overseas markets? Where is the profit going to come from??

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 10:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "RE: Saw a trailer for this a month ago "
In response to Reply # 4

>And thought this is a film I'll never see.
>
>I can't believe Bale is wasting his prime on shit like this.
>Just taking the $$$$$.

I didn't want to say that. But it really DOES seem like he did this for the fat paycheck he got.

>Turturro is one of my favourite. Urgh to think of him hamming
>it up in this.

Yea *THAT* was a surprise when I saw his name in the credits list on imdb.com

>
>Ridley Scott is just living off his past reputation. Shut him
>down if he doesn't have anything interesting to say.
>
>Is this expected to make a lot of money in overseas markets?
>Where is the profit going to come from??

it's making MONEY overseas in close to 11, 12 countries so far...

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Sat Dec-13-14 03:33 PM

15. "That's how you afford to do indies"
In response to Reply # 14

He's got two Malick films and a Todd Field film after this. Gotta make some money once in a while. And it's not like there are a lot of blockbusters out there that aren't a waste of talent, unfortunately.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 07:29 PM

18. "I thought that was the purpose of the Batman Flicks"
In response to Reply # 15

He got an estimated $50M for those flicks.

Does he really NEED to make this?

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Nov-20-14 09:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "the trailer makes me want to throw things."
In response to Reply # 0

fuck you.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Nov-21-14 03:39 PM

6. "Replace the word awesome with terrible"
In response to Reply # 0

The casting for that movie is godawful.

I wouldn't watch it for free.

What next, "Mount Olympus" starring the cast of "What's Happening Now?"

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

bwood
8614 posts
Mon Dec-01-14 09:09 AM

7. "This Variety review is so full of shit I doubt the reviewer believes "
In response to Reply # 0

what he wrote. The first paragraph is filled with horseshit.

http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/film-review-exodus-gods-and-kings-1201364857/

“It’s not even that good a story,” Moses grumbles early on in Ridley Scott’s “Exodus: Gods and Kings,” shortly after learning of the mysterious events that transformed a lowly Hebrew slave into a full-blown prince of Egypt. It’s a sly, knowing wink from a filmmaker who clearly has a terrific tale on his hands, yet faces a bit of a challenge in selling it to a more cynical, less easily razzle-dazzled audience than those that greeted the biblical epics of yesteryear. What’s remarkable about Scott’s genuinely imposing Old Testament psychodrama is the degree to which he succeeds in conjuring a mighty and momentous spectacle — one that, for sheer astonishment, rivals any of the lavish visions of ancient times the director has given us — while turning his own skepticism into a potent source of moral and dramatic conflict.

If this estimable account of how God delivered His people out of Egypt feels like a movie for a decidedly secular age, its searching, non-doctrinaire approach arguably gets closer to penetrating the mystery of faith than a more fawning approach might have managed. Like “Noah,” the year’s other nonconformist Judeo-Christian blockbuster, this is an uncommonly intelligent, respectful but far-from-reverent outsider’s take on Scripture, although “Exodus” is less madly eccentric and more firmly grounded in the sword-and-sandal tradition than Darren Aronofsky’s film, and will almost certainly prove less polarizing among believers. Even with a hefty $140 million pricetag and a two-and-a-half-hour running time to overcome, Fox’s year-end release (opening Dec. 12 Stateside) should ride 3D ticket premiums and general curiosity to muscular returns worldwide, landing closer to “Gladiator” than “Kingdom of Heaven” territory in terms of audience satisfaction and commercial payoff.

If there’s a controversial talking point here, it’s that Scott’s film continues the dubious tradition of casting white actors in an English-language picture set at the meeting point of Africa, Europe and the Middle East. Plenty of ink has already been spilled over the injustice of yet another major historical drama ceding the big roles to Hollywood royalty while relegating blacks, Arabs and other actors of color to the background: In addition to Christian Bale’s star turn as Moses, “Exodus” features Joel Edgerton as his stepbrother, Ramses — a transformation made reasonably convincing through state-of-the-art bronzing techniques and heavy applications of guyliner (plus the exquisitely bejeweled costumes designed by Janty Yates). Yet while these are problematic choices, dictated by commercial imperatives as old as Methuselah, they are also reservations one willingly suspends as the strength of the performances and the irresistible pull of the story take hold.

Scott’s choice of material hasn’t always been as reliable as his visual sense, but the Exodus account provides him with some solid if well-worn narrative scaffolding; given that we’ve all seen or heard some version of this story, the film’s four credit screenwriters (Adam Cooper, Bill Collage, Jeffrey Caine and Steven Zaillian) seem to instinctively grasp that a completist version would be ambitious but unnecessary. You know you’re in trustworthy hands when the film begins not with an infant floating among the reeds, but with Bale’s fully grown Moses living in the palace of the aging pharaoh Seti (John Turturro) — one of many ways in which the script shrewdly foregoes the usual framing devices in favor of a crisp, present-tense retelling.

The film swiftly establishes the brotherly bond between Moses, a favored general in Seti’s army, and Ramses, the proud pharaoh-to-be, their intimate yet rivalrous relationship sealed by the matching swords they wear into battle. Moses shows his mettle, and inadvertently fulfills a mysterious prophecy, by saving Ramses’ life in a large-scale Egyptian attack on the Hittites, an excitingly staged collision of horses and chariots, lensed by d.p. Dariusz Wolski with a mix of soaring overhead shots and ground-level combat footage.

Shortly thereafter, Moses pays a fateful visit to the city of Pithom, affording us a close-up look at the cruel machinery that has kept the Israelites enslaved for 400 years, toiling endlessly to build palaces and pyramids for their whip-cracking overlords. (The re-creation of ancient Egypt reps a staggering collaboration between production designer Arthur Max and visual effects supervisor Peter Chiang, supplemented by location shooting in Almeria, Spain, a desert backdrop made famous by “Lawrence of Arabia.”) Unsettled by these glimpses of a genocide in progress, as well as by his lifelong identity crisis, Moses eventually learns the truth of his Hebrew lineage from Nun (Ben Kingsley), a wise Jewish elder. Before long, the secret falls into the hands of a calculating Egyptian viceroy (a wonderfully louche and loathsome Ben Mendelsohn), hastening Moses’ exit from the royal family and Egypt altogether.

Propelling the film through these absorbing early passages is Bale’s broodingly intelligent Moses, a cool, eloquent man of reason who disdains the God of Israel as well as the innumerable deities of Egypt, yet whose calm, rational demeanor can also be provoked to murderous fits of fury. The story of “Exodus: Gods and Kings” hinges on the gradual reshaping of his beliefs and the healing of his fractured identity: Humbled and exiled, he makes his way to Midian, where he becomes a shepherd and marries the beautiful Zipporah (Maria Valverde), though he has a difficult time truly accepting his place among the Hebrews and the Lord they worship.

It’s telling that Moses’ first divine encounter finds him almost completely submerged in mud, literally a man about to be reformed. Purists may balk at the notion of God taking on the earthly form of a cherubic angel, Malak (Isaac Andrews), whose petulant manner and British elocution at times suggest a very young Voldemort. It’s a mild provocation of sorts, a means of getting us to see the Lord as a skeptic, like Moses would initially: callous and whimsical by turns, a jealous, vengeful deity with a literally childish streak. Before long, God orders His servant to trigger a horrific campaign of destruction against Egypt, where the Hebrews are perishing in ever greater numbers under Ramses’ oppressive rule.

At once honoring and eclipsing the showmanship of Cecil B. DeMille’s “The Ten Commandments” (1956), the final hour of “Exodus: Gods and Kings” is a sensationally entertaining yet beautifully modulated stream of visual wonders that make it all but impossible to tear one’s eyes from the screen. In one of his boldest strokes, Scott dramatizes the 10 plagues in a seamless, vividly realistic domino-effect montage — the bloody despoiling of the Nile (which takes a surprising page from “Jaws”) naturally giving way to a proliferation of gnats and frogs, boils and locusts — that truly does seem to capture the intensity of God’s wrath in one furious, unrelenting deluge. In keeping with the momentum established by Billy Rich’s editing and the superb vfx work, this Moses does not return to Ramses day after day with fresh entreaties of “Let my people go,” but instead remains in hiding, watching ambivalently as the Lord does their fighting for them.

“You don’t always agree with me,” God says to Moses, effectively inviting all viewers, regardless of persuasion, to wrestle with their own conflicted impulses. Scott, a self-professed agnostic whose films have nonetheless betrayed a restless spiritual dimension (particularly “Prometheus”), seems to have been inspired by his distance from the material, placing his identification with a hero who never stops questioning himself or the God he follows. Not unlike Russell Crowe’s Noah, and rather unlike Charlton Heston’s iconic barn-stormer, Bale’s Moses emerges a painfully flawed, embattled leader whose direct line to the Almighty is as much burden as blessing — and who wearily recognizes that once the Israelites have cast off the shackles of slavery, the truly hard work of governance, progress, repentance and faithfulness will begin.

Edgerton, his dark-rimmed eyes asmolder with pride and contempt, makes a powerfully understated Ramses, one who is not without his own measure of humanity: “What kind of fanatics worship such a God?!” he splutters amid the devastation of the final plague. Arriving at a time when religious divisions in the Middle East have become all too violently pronounced, the ideal of a Promised Land ever more elusive, it’s a question that resonates well beyond the story’s specific moment. And it lingers even as the film presses on toward its Red Sea climax — a brilliantly attenuated sequence that Scott stages with breathtaking suspense and deliberation, the massive CG-rendered waves never threatening to overwhelm the fraternal turmoil at the story’s core. (The theme of brotherhood torn asunder becomes unavoidably haunting when the film reveals its closing dedication to the late Tony Scott.)

That central dynamic is essential, since none of the other characters here registers with particular force: Moses’ right-hand man, Aaron (Andrew Barclay Tarbet), is reduced to a bit part, while his comrade Joshua (Aaron Paul) gets similarly short shrift, despite a memorable introduction. Elsewhere, the film’s revisionist strategy doesn’t do much to elevate the dramatic stature of the female characters: As Seti’s calculating wife Tuya, Sigourney Weaver (teaming with Scott for the third time) has little to do besides look wonderfully imperious in a Cleopatra headdress, although Hiam Abbass does manage a few emotionally charged moments as Moses’ foster mother, Bithia. As Moses’ and Ramses’ respective wives, Valverde and Golshifteh Farahani serve mainly decorative functions.

Although long enough at 150 minutes, Scott’s epic is over an hour shorter than DeMille’s, and key events — including the Israelites’ descent into idol-worshipping chaos — have been skillfully elided, perhaps awaiting a “Kingdom of Heaven”-style director’s cut. The result feels less like a straightforward retread of the biblical narrative than an amped-up commentary on it: This “Exodus” comes at you in a heady and violent onrush of incident, propelled along by Alberto Iglesias’ vigorous score, teeming with large-scale crowd and battle sequences (which take on an especially rich, tactile quality in 3D), and packed with unexpectedly rousing martial episodes, including one where Moses attempts to train his people for battle.

Some may well desire a purer, fuller version of the story, one more faithful to the text and less clearly shaped by the demands of the Hollywood blockbuster. But on its own grand, imperfect terms, “Exodus: Gods and Kings” is undeniably transporting, marked by a free-flowing visual splendor that plays to its creator’s unique strengths: Given how many faith-based movies are content to tell their audiences what to think or feel, it’s satisfying to see one whose images alone are enough to compel awestruck belief.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Mon Dec-01-14 12:01 PM

8. "Nope"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-01-14 12:03 PM by lfresh

cant make me either

passion of christ
prince of persia
last airbender

the days of being blatant with it are over
get your ass in gear hollywood
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Mon Dec-01-14 04:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "I hope this shit fails miserably"
In response to Reply # 0

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5628 posts
Mon Dec-01-14 04:47 PM

10. "Im mad cause i love Kingdom of Heaven (Directors Cut)"
In response to Reply # 0

What he did presenting the Muslims in a positive light, Salah ad-din, having Muslims played by actual Arab/Muslims, the attention to historical detail, etc.....prolly my favorite movie of all time.

And Christian Bale is one of my fav actors. But i cant get past the casting. An Australian playing Ramses? Sigourney Weaver? So disappointed. I wouldnt even be mad at just Christian Bale as Moses for box office and then surround him with actual actors that look Egyptian. So disappointed.

No one is going to see this for Joel Egerton or any of the other actors so they may as well have cast it right. I dont buy the "box office" bullshit argument. Besides Christian Bale none of these people are bringing in numbers.

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 09:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Shit I forgot he did the 'good' cut of Kingdom of Heaven."
In response to Reply # 10
Fri Dec-12-14 11:00 AM by BigReg

>What he did presenting the Muslims in a positive light, Salah
>ad-din, having Muslims played by actual Arab/Muslims, the
>attention to historical detail, etc.....prolly my favorite
>movie of all time.

How did he go from there to this?

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 09:49 AM

12. "Still haven't watched the director's cut yet but dug the original"
In response to Reply # 11

Was actually shocked how good it was w/ Bloom as the lead

Supporting cast was fierce

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 11:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Put it high on the future watch list"
In response to Reply # 12

They add 45 minutes to the flick, and it opens everythign up MUCH wider. It's like the studio was like, "Yeah, we now these scenes set up tone and character and interesting plotlines. But we have a deal where Bloom has to continually be in 90% of the film's scenes"

Id argue it makes the movie leaner even with the longer run time.

>Was actually shocked how good it was w/ Bloom as the lead
>
>Supporting cast was fierce

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5628 posts
Sat Dec-13-14 10:25 PM

17. "You GOTTA watch the DC"
In response to Reply # 12

I honestly think the directors cut would of been nominated for a shit ton of Oscars if it was the version actually put into theaters

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Sat Dec-13-14 04:20 PM

16. "RE:Yawn"
In response to Reply # 0

This will be quickly forgotten.

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 07:31 PM

19. "How did this get past the studio?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm REALLY curious. NOBODY stopped to say, "Ay yo, where the negros at?"

smh

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 09:10 PM

20. "Probably the other way around. "
In response to Reply # 19

Exec: So our assistant just informed us that Egypt appears to be on Africa.

Ridley: Mostly, yeah.

Exec: Oof. Boy, that sounds like this movie might have an awful lot of, uh, you know, non-white people.

Ridley: No, no, no. Don't be silly. We can cast white people for everything. Make it seem like Egypt is just south of Devonshire.

Exec: Phew! You got the greenlight my friend!

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Tue Dec-23-14 10:22 AM

24. "the financiers in Spain ASKED for all those white folks:"
In response to Reply # 19

http://gawker.com/no-exodus-for-mohammad-so-and-so-from-such-and-such-s-1663769993

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Wed Dec-17-14 01:13 PM

21. "Conan on Exodus Casting:"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lS5O67bm5g

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Wed Dec-17-14 01:16 PM

22. "lol @ people expecting a biblical movie about god to be accurate in cast..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-17-14 01:17 PM by initiationofplato

This movie looks horrible. I'll probably wait till its out on DVD to see it.

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 08:57 AM

23. "I'll see it when it streams on Netflix/Prime"
In response to Reply # 22

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

bwood
8614 posts
Fri Dec-26-14 11:51 AM

26. "Why the fuck is this still anchored?! nm"
In response to Reply # 0

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Sat Dec-27-14 02:48 AM

27. "LOL! Question of the moment..."
In response to Reply # 26

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sat Dec-27-14 04:27 PM

28. "Nigga made a post about it. Really?"
In response to Reply # 26
Sun Dec-28-14 02:08 AM by ZooTown74

Just for that, we keepin' it up another week.

#AbuseOfPower

________________________________________________________________________________
Niggas made aliases.

bwood
8614 posts
Sat Dec-27-14 05:29 PM

29. "Y'all niggas...SMH...."
In response to Reply # 28

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sun Dec-28-14 08:51 AM

30. "did anyone even watch this movie?"
In response to Reply # 0

There are like 30 posts here but no review.

I had no plans to see the movie, but damn y'all at least white Christian Bale Moses is better than white Charelton Heston Moses...

Did anyone watch it? Is it baaaaaaad?

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #681877 Previous topic | Next topic