Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #680482

Subject: "Dumb and Dumber To (The Farrellys, 2014)" Previous topic | Next topic
RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Wed Jun-11-14 02:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Dumb and Dumber To (The Farrellys, 2014)"
Fri Nov-14-14 04:55 PM by Frank Longo

http://youtu.be/lGXHVlEklgQ

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Looks terrible
Jun 11th 2014
Incredibly disappointing
Jun 11th 2014
I laughed at one joke.
Jun 11th 2014
I'm seeing this no matter what.
Jun 11th 2014
That doesn't look funny at all.
Jun 11th 2014
Jun 11th 2014
Have to admit, I laughed a lot.
Jun 12th 2014
Looks funny to me. I laughed a lot. *Kanye shrug, then dips out of post*
Jun 12th 2014
What a waste of talent....yep, judging it already
Sep 26th 2014
It's not the disaster you might have feared.
Nov 14th 2014
It was exactly what is was.
Nov 14th 2014
The performances, from what I see in the trailer, are what worry me
Nov 14th 2014
      It's a little over the top, but not by much.
Nov 15th 2014
Dumb and Dumber is one of my favorite movies, ever.
Nov 14th 2014
Holy shit@Kathleen Turner, first of all. Yikes. The movie is......well, ...
Nov 15th 2014
Just saw this tonight, a quick review:
Nov 20th 2014
very bad movie
Nov 21st 2014
I laughed hardest at Lloyd snatching Swizz Beatz' nuts.
Nov 22nd 2014

Rolo_Tomasi
Member since Jan 29th 2004
1140 posts
Wed Jun-11-14 04:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Looks terrible"
In response to Reply # 0

I wasn't expecting it to be a masterpiece but this looks awful. I won't be watching this. I know a trailer usually packs in some highlights and with a comedy you might get a few decent laughs in a trailer. This had zero.

Y2Flound
Member since Aug 16th 2005
9819 posts
Wed Jun-11-14 06:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Incredibly disappointing "
In response to Reply # 0

I had really high hopes for this, just because everyone was back on board and all pretending the other sequel never happened.

They looked so old, the actual film quality looked so low budget, the jokes seemed so forced. I'll probably see the movie itself, but this looked bad.

Monkey Genius
Member since Mar 04th 2005
8099 posts
Wed Jun-11-14 07:36 AM

3. "I laughed at one joke."
In response to Reply # 0

Can't remember which one, but I'll use it to hold on to hope.

----------------------------------
I have a webcomic: www.watchthecomic.com

My webcomic has a page: www.facebook.com/watchyourheadcomic

BennyTenStack
Member since Sep 09th 2007
5681 posts
Wed Jun-11-14 07:44 AM

4. "I'm seeing this no matter what."
In response to Reply # 0

But, man....that doesn't give me a lot of hope. I know it's a very small sample size, but everything in the trailer seemed kinda forced. It looked like two guys trying really hard to do a good Harry and Lloyd impersonation. That's what I've been afraid of the whole time: trying way too hard to replicate the first one instead of just making another movie with the same people.

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13189 posts
Wed Jun-11-14 08:59 AM

5. "That doesn't look funny at all."
In response to Reply # 0

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44828 posts
Wed Jun-11-14 12:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. ""
In response to Reply # 0

I expect to be disappointed, but this is one of those things I just have to see because I have to see it because the original is so good it essentially creates a mandate that I this one be given a chance.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6737 posts
Thu Jun-12-14 12:53 PM

7. "Have to admit, I laughed a lot."
In response to Reply # 0

Shrug

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8608 posts
Thu Jun-12-14 01:19 PM

8. "Looks funny to me. I laughed a lot. *Kanye shrug, then dips out of post*"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Fri Sep-26-14 11:57 AM

9. "What a waste of talent....yep, judging it already"
In response to Reply # 0

Looks fucking godawful.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86665 posts
Fri Nov-14-14 04:54 PM

10. "It's not the disaster you might have feared."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-14-14 04:58 PM by Frank Longo

It's a lot meaner than the first, which isn't my bag, and there aren't any gags that are classic on the level of the first (or of any of the first few Farrelly flicks in general).

But there are some good dumb gags in it. The movie started pretty slow, but it picks up once Harry and Lloyd have to interact with people (especially Rob Riggle, the perfect foil). Carrey and Daniels are game, as you'd expect. Plus, it has Kathleen Turner, which is always welcome.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8608 posts
Fri Nov-14-14 11:02 PM

11. "It was exactly what is was."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-14-14 11:02 PM by bwood

Being disappointed with this is like being disappointed with McDonald's. It's exactly the same thing you're getting all these years later.

Many people laughed and loved it, some came out hating it.

*Kanye shrug*

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

BennyTenStack
5681 posts
Fri Nov-14-14 11:48 PM

13. "The performances, from what I see in the trailer, are what worry me"
In response to Reply # 11

It looks like they're laying it on WAY too thick. Kinda like two corny guys doing impressions of Harry and Lloyd. Did it come across like that in the move or did they seem like the same guys as 20 years ago?

Cold Truth
44828 posts
Sat Nov-15-14 05:36 PM

15. "It's a little over the top, but not by much. "
In response to Reply # 13
Sat Nov-15-14 05:37 PM by Cold Truth

IMO the deciding factor of whether or not you should see this movie is the way you view family.

If Uncle Fred does things that would cause you to otherwise disassociate with anyone else because he's so damn annoying and you give him a pass because, well, it's Uncle Fred and he's basically the same as he always was, only with the volume turned up and he was so much fun when you were a kid, go see it. You do this because you love Uncle Fred.

If Uncle Fred does things that would cause you to disassociate with *him* because it's so damn annoying and you refuse to give him a pass even though he was the funnest dude ever when you were a kid because you're all grown up and that shit doesn't appeal to you anymore, you might want to wait for Redbox. You love Uncle Fred, but fuck all that.

Me?

I wouldn't bother with this from anyone else. I'd fucking hate it.
It's Harry & Lloyd though, and they were so much fun when I was a kid, so fuck it. I'll ride with 'em on it because I love *them*. It wasn't the best ride, but I enjoyed our lil visit for what it was because sometimes it's just nice to see Uncle Fred's crazy ass, you know?

BennyTenStack
5681 posts
Fri Nov-14-14 11:46 PM

12. "Dumb and Dumber is one of my favorite movies, ever."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-14-14 11:46 PM by BennyTenStack

I've seen it a hundred times.

I'm now so torn on going to see this. Part of me feels like I have to see it, but the other side of me knows this will be awful. Part of what made the original so good was that 90s look and feel to it. Kinda like Tommy Boy, Happy Gilmore, Black Sheep, etc.

Cold Truth
44828 posts
Sat Nov-15-14 05:27 PM

14. "Holy shit@Kathleen Turner, first of all. Yikes. The movie is......well, ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Some of the Harry & Lloyd act was fucking annoying.
Some of the Harry & Lloyd act was charming and amusing.

It is what it is. You already know the deal.

Truth be told, the problems with this movie aren't the two leads.

There were a lot of lazy one liners that felt like they were just kind of thrown in there and that's saying something for a movie that's basically a long form sketch gag.

The big fat elephant in the room though? It's not 1994, I'm not 13 anymore, and neither is anyone else. If it doesn't hold up, it's because of the changes we've made as people, not because the material is any worse than the original.

All in all I went to this because it's a D&D movie and I just plain had to. There are certain franchises that get a paid ticket for life out of me. If there's ever another Gremlins movie, I'm just sort of mandated to go because Gremlins 2 is one of my absolute favorite movies. I'll probably be there on opening night 15 years from now if Harold and Kumar 6 gets made, you know?

For what it's worth, I'm just glad I got to see Harry & Lloyd again. I wish them well and I know they'll get another $7 from me should we ever get another 90 minutes of over the top pranks.

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Thu Nov-20-14 10:20 PM

16. "Just saw this tonight, a quick review:"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, it's definitely not the first movie, that's for sure. This movie came out about 15 (or more) years too late. A lot of the jokes fell flat as a result.

I couldn't help but think throughout that nostalgia cannot be forced (same phrases, looks, cameos... I mean, do we really care about seeing the blind kid with the headless bird or Sea Bass again?).

The biggest problem? It suffered from "The Hangover Part II" effect: It was the same movie as the first one. The 2 travel across the country with a MacGuffin to a character where a twist is revealed that could have been guessed earlier in the movie. Another kung fu flashback from Lloyd, another ending with a prank involving hot women, the guy traveling with them dies in the middle again, etc, etc.

Carrey and Daniels weren't bad, but it left me wondering if Carrey is scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point in his career.

I was very disappointed with this, and should have known better.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18619 posts
Fri Nov-21-14 10:44 PM

17. "very bad movie"
In response to Reply # 0

Not "worst movie of all time" bad level, like that awful prequel that was put out about 10 years ago. But not good at all. Everything felt really forced. For every 1 thing that was funny, there were about 10 things that were intended to be funny but weren't.

Can't say I'm that surprised given that it's 20 years later, but still a disappointment.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23876 posts
Sat Nov-22-14 08:24 PM

18. "I laughed hardest at Lloyd snatching Swizz Beatz' nuts."
In response to Reply # 0

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #680482 Previous topic | Next topic