Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #676890

Subject: "Jersey Boys (Eastwood, 2014)" Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Tue Jun-24-14 01:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Jersey Boys (Eastwood, 2014)"

Terrific play-- the best by far of the "jukebox musicals." John Lloyd Young is a stud, and Eastwood's theatrical lighting should serve him well here.

Looking forward to this.

http://www.slashfilm.com/jersey-boys-trailer-clint-eastwood/

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reviews are saying it's too heavy on the drama
Jun 22nd 2014
If you go in wanting to see the broadway show, sure.
Jun 22nd 2014
LOL no one's trying to see this shit.
Jun 22nd 2014
It's not presented as a musical at all though.
Jun 22nd 2014
      And from what everyone's telling me that's the problem.
Jun 22nd 2014
           so the "problem" is that it wasn't a musical like they wanted?
Jun 22nd 2014
                The film is based on the musical, so I can why people
Jun 22nd 2014
                     People stay unreasonably attached to source material if you ask me.
Jun 22nd 2014
I enjoyed it personally. Not a fan of the remade music though.
Jun 22nd 2014
I didnt hate it, didnt love it
Jun 22nd 2014
Agreed on the family. They didn't really get the payoff they wanted with...
Jun 22nd 2014
Eastwood should not being doing musicals.
Jun 23rd 2014
After seeing it Friday, Im declaring it a snooze-fest. It should have
Jun 23rd 2014
Jerky Boys better
Jun 24th 2014

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Sun Jun-22-14 01:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Reviews are saying it's too heavy on the drama"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jersey_boys/

TMNT has been talking my ear off about the play and this movie for quite some time, but I dunno...

Has anyone here seen it?

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Sun Jun-22-14 12:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "If you go in wanting to see the broadway show, sure. "
In response to Reply # 1

The movie is actually very funny, so I don't see where people say it's too heavy on the drama. It definitely is the center of the film, but there's so much subtle humor weaved throughout the film that it stays relatively light.

Outside of one scene where things come to a head with Devito and the scenes with Valli's family, the film remains relatively light. Tommy's an asshole and a hustler from the beginning and stays that way, but the real talent of the group is Valli and Gaudio (which is a cold ass name for an italian musician, but I digress) and that's what drives the story throughout.

It just played like a biopic to me. Yes, there's music, but there's music the way there's music in, say, La Bamba. The only 'play' like elements to me where the moments where characters spoke to the audience. Interestingly enough, the only one who never had a moment like that was Valli.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Sun Jun-22-14 07:45 AM

2. "LOL no one's trying to see this shit."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jun-22-14 07:46 AM by bwood

From what I heard, they took out the most of the music and the drama falls flat.

Another L WB after they failed with Rock of Ages.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Sun Jun-22-14 11:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "It's not presented as a musical at all though. "
In response to Reply # 2

It plays like a biopic, not a musical. I don't know if people went in expecting it to play like a musical, but it's not.

SPOILERS AHEAD.

That doesn't happen until the very end.

At any rate, I wouldn't say the drama fell flat at all in most places. There's a lot of humor in this and so the mood never really gets too earnest. There is a scene later in the movie with Valli talking to his daughter that felt a little hollow, mostly due to the dialogue and the fact that the story doesn't really dwell on Valli's family issues they way it focuses on Devito being a controlling hustler.

It doesn't play like a musical at all though.

-Sig-

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

bwood
8614 posts
Sun Jun-22-14 01:24 PM

6. "And from what everyone's telling me that's the problem."
In response to Reply # 3

It's being said that the lack of music is what made the play special.

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Sun Jun-22-14 02:30 PM

7. "so the "problem" is that it wasn't a musical like they wanted?"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun Jun-22-14 02:32 PM by Cold Truth

Cool. Each his own and all that, but to me that's a copout. It's judging the film based on what you wanted/thought it was going to be instead of what it is. Of course the music was what made the Broadway show special-it's Broadway!

If you want the musical, stick to Broadway because that's not what it is.

-Sig-

bwood
8614 posts
Sun Jun-22-14 04:32 PM

9. "The film is based on the musical, so I can why people"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun Jun-22-14 04:33 PM by bwood

would be pissed. Especially if the trailer points that out.

But, from what you've said and what other people said I'm not surprised that this movie turned out the way it did.

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Sun Jun-22-14 04:56 PM

11. "People stay unreasonably attached to source material if you ask me."
In response to Reply # 9

>would be pissed. Especially if the trailer points that out.

People love to ignore the "based on" portion. If people want the originals, they should just go see the originals and avoid adaptations.

-Sig-

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Sun Jun-22-14 12:30 PM

5. "I enjoyed it personally. Not a fan of the remade music though. "
In response to Reply # 0

La Bamba still seems to be the standard for remade music in a biopic if you ask me.

-Sig-

silentnoah
Member since Apr 03rd 2005
3197 posts
Sun Jun-22-14 03:22 PM

8. "I didnt hate it, didnt love it"
In response to Reply # 0

The music scenes were great, the performances were good. I dont think they established the relationships well between Frankie and his wife and kids. That would have added some needed emotion to the movie.

It felt weird to have a 2 year flashback in the middle of the movie, it seems they could've incorporated it into the rise of the band and just have it play chronologically straightforward. Unless they were going for a heavy impact with the amount of debt they were in, but without really seeing the money being spent, I didn't care.

i never saw the musical, so i dont know how it compares. It was still pretty entertaining and i will probably catch it again on DVD.

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Sun Jun-22-14 04:47 PM

10. "Agreed on the family. They didn't really get the payoff they wanted with..."
In response to Reply # 8

>The music scenes were great, the performances were good. I
>dont think they established the relationships well between
>Frankie and his wife and kids. That would have added some
>needed emotion to the movie.

Yup. There was so little time spent on his absence that it just didn't strike the chord they wanted when it came time to generate some emotion.

>It felt weird to have a 2 year flashback in the middle of the
>movie, it seems they could've incorporated it into the rise of
>the band and just have it play chronologically
>straightforward. Unless they were going for a heavy impact
>with the amount of debt they were in, but without really
>seeing the money being spent, I didn't care.

I actually thought that worked well.

>i never saw the musical, so i dont know how it compares. It
>was still pretty entertaining and i will probably catch it
>again on DVD.

Yeah I enjoyed it overall, and could care less about the Broadway version. I think it's a solid biopic.

-Sig-

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Mon Jun-23-14 04:20 PM

12. "Eastwood should not being doing musicals."
In response to Reply # 0

His choices of where to cut are always a beat slow, and he seems to be allowing space after jokes for laughs, as if the actors are waiting for the audience to finish laughing, which is a deadly decision to make unless you know you have a gut buster.

I really like the musical-- it's been a long time since I've seen it, so most of the details were gone for me, making this a relatively fresh experience-- but the musical MOVES. Everything flows seamlessly, the tempo is sharp, the zingers click (Marshall Brickman's one-liners aren't really given the proper timing here), and the musical numbers, while diegetic, still contain the magic emotional swell that a theatrical production of a song (or a good concert performance, for that matter) can provide.

Here, the tempo is slowed down, there is no emotional connection to the family/kid stuff (which is really weird since on stage, you're connecting with a guy whose face you can barely see, and here, Young is shot in close-up a lot, yet the impact is lessened), the camera is really stagnant, and Eastwood seems to digitally washed out a lot of the color to make it "look old" when it really only makes the movie's imagery pop far less than a period piece with concert performances should.

I was longing for Adam Shankman. Or even Rob Marshall. Someone who can capture what makes a performance of a song terrific on screen. I didn't feel Eastwood captured that. It was stiff and dull, when the music calls for lively tempo and emotion.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

CocoaCure
Member since Sep 23rd 2002
8926 posts
Mon Jun-23-14 11:54 PM

13. "After seeing it Friday, Im declaring it a snooze-fest. It should have"
In response to Reply # 0

been a musical. The pacing was too slow and the drama that they did focus on fell flat in its delivery. Even the way they moved the songs around was weird like how they didn't use "Oh What a Night" in the hooker scene, but at the end. Actually the end of the movie is how the entire movie should have been.

<----- ...I'm a peace-loving decoy
Ready for retaliation...

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Jun-24-14 09:47 AM

14. "Jerky Boys better"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #676890 Previous topic | Next topic