Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #676766

Subject: "Transcendence (Wally Pfister, 2014)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Mon Jun-02-14 10:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Transcendence (Wally Pfister, 2014)"

Looks like the old post got deleted for some reason. Drops Friday and I'm excited.

The trailers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=280qnrHpuc8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QheoYw1BKJ4

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
More than a little Lawnmower Man vibe for some reason
Apr 15th 2014
Saw a screening. Was not impressed.
Apr 16th 2014
Or they ruined a good script.
Apr 16th 2014
      Trust. It's just that bad.
Apr 17th 2014
           How much of this is in the movie?
Apr 17th 2014
                This sounds about 98% the movie I saw...
Apr 18th 2014
                     Pretty much. Pfister could've had some stronger direction too but...
Apr 18th 2014
man the reviews are rough so far
Apr 16th 2014
Much love pfor Pfister but he might be better ridin shotgun w/ Nolan
Apr 16th 2014
The screenplay absolutely kills what should be a very solid thriller
Apr 16th 2014
Wally could be the reason the script sucked.
Apr 17th 2014
      No, this is a clear cut example of the script just not being strong enou...
Apr 18th 2014
essentially any Depp film where hes not Casper The Friendly Ghost
Apr 17th 2014
Characters undercooked. Rough ending.
Apr 19th 2014
flooooooooooop.
Apr 20th 2014
One of the worst movies, I've seen in a minute.
Apr 21st 2014
Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, fucking DUMB. SPOILERS.
Apr 24th 2014
Dude, the entire world was at risk & they sent 16 dudes to stop it.
Apr 25th 2014
      If they wkukd have had some giant robot fights or some other crazy distr...
Apr 25th 2014
such a waste of a movie
Apr 25th 2014
RE: Transcendence (Wally Pfister, 2014)
Jul 05th 2014
frustrating film for such a rich subject
Jul 07th 2014
This WAS one of my most hyped movies of the year.
Jul 08th 2014
I'm going to try watching this as a comedy
Jul 11th 2014
She said "I tried language processing, cryptography, coding..."
Jul 12th 2014
fell asleep watchin this last week.
Jul 12th 2014

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Tue Apr-15-14 10:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "More than a little Lawnmower Man vibe for some reason"
In response to Reply # 0

Still quite intrigued by this though

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

F_ECM
Member since Sep 07th 2011
38 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 08:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Saw a screening. Was not impressed."
In response to Reply # 0

I'd say they did as much as they could to salvage an abysmal script(or perhaps story). For all the wonder the science-future imagery conveys exists an equal lack of direction. Its just extremely clear they had no clue what they wanted this movie to say and makes watching the obvious plot points come together all the more tedious.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 10:41 AM

3. "Or they ruined a good script."
In response to Reply # 2

Shit gets rewritten on set all the time. For all we know, this was a good script that they destroyed. Blaming the screenplay is always risky since the original screenplay often gets altered by so many people with their own agenda that it ends up looking not much like the screenwriter's original vision.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

F_ECM
38 posts
Thu Apr-17-14 07:07 PM

8. "Trust. It's just that bad."
In response to Reply # 3

Like if you watch you'll see that the film had fundamental story issues. Sometimes you can see how a story was inches from being good like Prometheus, but this is so scattershot that it becomes readily apparent that no one had a clear vision of what they wanted this film to say from the jump.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Apr-17-14 08:23 PM

10. "How much of this is in the movie?"
In response to Reply # 8

http://scriptshadow.net/screenplay-review-transcendence/

Don't always agree with Script Shadow and they didn't love the script but they did say the execution was strong.

To me it sounds like the standard Hollywood nonsense - they buy a script, a director signs on and demands rewrites, a big actors signs on and demands rewrites, then they have to start shooting and everyone's rewriting on the fly and then everyone blames the screenwriter for the film's problems.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

F_ECM
38 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 12:10 AM

11. "This sounds about 98% the movie I saw..."
In response to Reply # 10

It sounds alot better than it really plays on screen. The love story feels tired; the action is clearly constrained by budget (though it being Bayesque wouldn't really save the film); and the ending leaves the audience questioning what they just watched. Through it all the film is too boring/unengaging.

Honestly, it should have been longer I could see potential but it was buried and from that link I don't think it was buried by Wally, Nolan, Depp or any other name, but just the author himself.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 08:44 AM

12. "Pretty much. Pfister could've had some stronger direction too but... "
In response to Reply # 11

it's also pretty clear he didn't botch a great script either

>It sounds alot better than it really plays on screen. The
>love story feels tired;

true, they weren't very convincing as a couple to begin with

the action is clearly constrained by
>budget (though it being Bayesque wouldn't really save the
>film);

agreed, didn't have a problem w/ the action but it did appear the budget was blown on the cast who didn't really stand out

and the ending leaves the audience questioning what
>they just watched.

Cool. We thought we might've been the only ones w/ that opinion. I think I got it but it was a weird way to make it's point.

Through it all the film is too
>boring/unengaging.
>
>Honestly, it should have been longer I could see potential but
>it was buried and from that link I don't think it was buried
>by Wally, Nolan, Depp or any other name, but just the author
>himself.

I think you can tell the story in 2 hours w/ no problem. Should've cut down on the love story & focused more on the supposed threat.

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 11:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "man the reviews are rough so far"
In response to Reply # 0

might have to skip this one

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 02:26 PM

5. "Much love pfor Pfister but he might be better ridin shotgun w/ Nolan "
In response to Reply # 0

Wasn't bad it wasn't very memorable either. Some interesting ideas at play but they didn't really come together towards the end.

Bettany was good but I wish him & Morgan had more screen time. Murphy's my guy but he's not suited for these law enforcement types.
Mara's my girl but she's underutilized.

I'm glad Wally got his shot (npi) but he never really left his mark on it as a director.

bwood
8614 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 11:19 PM

6. "The screenplay absolutely kills what should be a very solid thriller"
In response to Reply # 0

Everything about this is on point. Everything. Except the screenplay. The fact that RIFT a bunch of murdering terrorists become the good guys to a lot promising build up with absolutely no payoff to Evelyn "going with it" for most of the movie.

The themes of technology and environmentalism are brought up in thought provoking ways, but aren't executed properly.

And I gotta say, I can't wait to see what Wally does with a better script because he was on point in this film. His trademark Nolan-esque sweeping shots were on full display here.

Again, it's just the script and story weren't executed properly.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Apr-17-14 08:15 PM

9. "Wally could be the reason the script sucked."
In response to Reply # 6

He wasn't a gun for hire here. He had script input. He made changes on set. It's easy to blame the screenwriter but very often the story that makes it on screen isn't the original script.

----

bwood
8614 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 03:30 PM

13. "No, this is a clear cut example of the script just not being strong enou..."
In response to Reply # 9

I know from experience that shit changes drastically from script to screen. But you can see what the main problem was here.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Thu Apr-17-14 04:24 AM

7. "essentially any Depp film where hes not Casper The Friendly Ghost"
In response to Reply # 0

...or being a pansy, is worth checkn out on that basis alone. i'll see it, but since i saw the trailer a few weeks back i don't really expect much.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 05:56 PM

14. "Characters undercooked. Rough ending."
In response to Reply # 0

Some interesting ideas here, and the cinematography is obviously top-notch, but this is a rental at best.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85068 posts
Sun Apr-20-14 11:58 AM

15. "flooooooooooop."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Mon Apr-21-14 02:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "One of the worst movies, I've seen in a minute. "
In response to Reply # 0

Holy shit was it a pile of shit. And it happened so quickly. As soon as it started I knew I should've turned back.

The plot was so far fetched and the characters behaved like no normal human beings have ever behaved.

And the ending? Oh boy.

I didn't feel as bad, because all of the solid actors in it were fooled too to sign up for his shit show.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Thu Apr-24-14 03:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, fucking DUMB. SPOILERS."
In response to Reply # 0

They created an atmosphere very similar to the early Shyamalan movies in certain ways, down to the music, and that was a plus. It fucking crashes and burns from there though.

Just bad, bad, bad, bad, bad all the way around.

For a creative take on AI, I strongly reccomend Robert J Sawyer's WWW trilogy. I realize the somewhat Young Adult nature of the book will turn many people off, however it's very well crafted book and the teenage girl in the story is stunningly well developed (pause) throughout the story.

It's just about the best take on AI that I've seen or read, but that's just me.

Anyhow, this movie took an interesting basic premise and shit the bed in terrible ways.

What was his plan, exactly? To heal the world while turning people into mindless drones to do his bidding? His "freed" mind was still so beholden to his emotional connection to his girl- adequately played by "we couldn't get ScarJo, so you'll do", by the way- that he fell for her bullshit excuse to upload herself?

So..... all those solar panels were destroyed by a few mortar rounds?

And all those nanomites that were able to rebuild shit instantly were suddenly unable to rebuild?

In two years of this thing being built, the US government didn't put a stop to it? They send a single FBI agent, some shadowy CIA type guy, and some raggedy ass anti-tech militia to do the job? Even under the premise of, hey, we'll just blame them, that's a dumb idea. At least I got a Cole Hauser sighting out of it.

Further, Morgan Freeman's (non-givernment, to my knowledge) character somehow had authority that made everyone await his final say before the attack? Riiiiiiiight.

All that nanomite rain, and yet the only thing we see growing three years after the fact is that garden? Uh... sure. I guess.

I'm all for suspension of disbelief. I'm all for just rolling with it and playing along. This shit tested the limits of my ability to do that in the worst ways imaginable.

They waisted a mostly fantastic cast, although many of the supporting characters looked like they were out of bad b-grade made for tv movies. Just a stupid movie all the way around. Great premise, promising cast, and somehow they produced a pile of fertilizer.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Apr-25-14 05:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "Dude, the entire world was at risk & they sent 16 dudes to stop it."
In response to Reply # 17

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Fri Apr-25-14 08:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "If they wkukd have had some giant robot fights or some other crazy distr..."
In response to Reply # 19

I could at least say "well, there was that". A movie with this level of stupidity demands big dumb fun to make it passable.

I still can't get over that. A brilliant mind freed from the constraints of his flesh who basically knew everything there was to know since once he got online fell to......some mortar rounds and his love for a girl who oddly enough would have been a great catch for Gilbert grape.

Ok.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Apr-25-14 12:01 AM

18. "such a waste of a movie"
In response to Reply # 0

talented cast wasted

a cinematographer who should have did MORE WORK on his first script

dumb dumb dumb dumb movie.

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Sat Jul-05-14 10:50 PM

21. "RE: Transcendence (Wally Pfister, 2014)"
In response to Reply # 0

I really ain't got much to say about this. Imo it is the worst film Johnny has ever made. The story was soooooo confusing from the beginning to the end. This is probably one of the worst films i've seen in the past 10 years.

Grade F

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Mon Jul-07-14 05:25 PM

22. "frustrating film for such a rich subject"
In response to Reply # 0

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Tue Jul-08-14 03:55 PM

23. "This WAS one of my most hyped movies of the year."
In response to Reply # 0

And I still haven't seen it based on the poor reviews I've heard.

It's a wait-for-release.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Jul-11-14 11:05 PM

24. "I'm going to try watching this as a comedy"
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sat Jul-12-14 12:30 PM

25. "She said "I tried language processing, cryptography, coding...""
In response to Reply # 24

"...I can't figure it out."

That made me laugh.

Unfortunately that was it.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sat Jul-12-14 07:35 PM

26. "fell asleep watchin this last week."
In response to Reply # 0

interesting premise, really.
something was definitely missing tho.
i didnt flat out hate it but for a sci fi piece, it was more boring than anything else.
good for a rental, but seeing it once is enuf.

can we still blame Nolan for this? lol. i feel like his influence is all over it from pacing to awkward dialogue to near-constant orchestral cues (which everyone and their mama seems to have used since the bombastic but cool Batman Begins score).

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #676766 Previous topic | Next topic