Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #676446

Subject: "Lucy (Besson, 2014)" Previous topic | Next topic
j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Wed Jul-30-14 12:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Lucy (Besson, 2014)"

A woman, accidentally caught in a dark deal, turns the tables on her captors and transforms into a merciless warrior evolved beyond human logic.

Lucy Official Trailer #1 (2014)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vu081NOorA

Release Date: August 8, 2014

Director: Luc Besson

Writer: Luc Besson

Producer: Luc Besson, Christophe Lambert

Cinematography: Thierry Arbogast

Cast: Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Want to see
Apr 13th 2014
Looks very good. Scarlett having a very busy year.
Apr 13th 2014
It's The Professional + 2001 - any sense of logic
Jul 25th 2014
that's a shame
Jul 25th 2014
This is the second downer
Jul 25th 2014
is under tge skin better?
Jul 26th 2014
      Yes. Scarlett's good in this, but she was better in UTS.
Jul 27th 2014
      just so you know Under The Skin is SUBTLE SCI FI
Jul 28th 2014
           ^^listen to this^^
Aug 04th 2014
Besson only uses about 10% of his brain
Jul 27th 2014
44 mil opening weekend. scarjo winning.
Jul 27th 2014
it will drop drastically next week
Jul 28th 2014
      RE: it will drop drastically next week
Jul 29th 2014
Luc Besson shouldn't try to get deep
Jul 28th 2014
yep...he tried to get deep and it backfired
Jul 28th 2014
      I'm pretty sure the *point* was for it to get ridiculous.
Jul 30th 2014
           so you think the point was to get so crazy it became a joke?
Jul 30th 2014
                Define "joke."
Jul 30th 2014
                     if you think of the movie as a superhero origin story, it all fits
Jul 30th 2014
                          *spoilers on ending in the reply above and this one*
Jul 30th 2014
This movie goes completely ape shit, which I totally love.
Jul 30th 2014
Her hair looked terrible the entire movie & none of the men were attract...
Jul 30th 2014
RE: Lucy in the sky with Diamonds versus Lucy in the theater
Jul 31st 2014
Shit was like Transcendence meets an episode of Covert Affairs
Aug 02nd 2014
I liked it
Aug 03rd 2014
It was cool, but got pretty ridiculous in the end.
Aug 13th 2014
RE: Lucy (Besson, 2014)
Aug 23rd 2014
Transcendence w/ titties
Oct 01st 2014
RE: Do not continue reading if easily offended
Oct 03rd 2014
Nonsense
Oct 04th 2014
I really liked it. Not the Fifth Element good, but I enjoyed
Oct 06th 2014
this movie was stupid it wasn't even fun
Feb 21st 2015
It wasn't bad, it was SO bad
Feb 21st 2015
RE: It wasn't bad, it was SO bad
Feb 22nd 2015

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Sun Apr-13-14 10:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Want to see"
In response to Reply # 0

This and Scarlett's other vehicle
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Sun Apr-13-14 02:34 PM

2. "Looks very good. Scarlett having a very busy year."
In response to Reply # 0

And it's got Freeman and Oldboy in it?
Win.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Fri Jul-25-14 07:26 PM

3. "It's The Professional + 2001 - any sense of logic"
In response to Reply # 0

I had read beforehand that there wasn't *a lot* of action, not as much as the advertising would have you believe, so I knew what to expect. The rowdy crowd I saw this with, however...

Scarlett was fine, but her Cold, Calculating Being played to better effect in Under the Skin

Morgan spent a lot of the film's 89-minute run time spouting gibberish about brain power and such. He was our Explainer, in a sense narrating what happened to Scarlett as she got more and more powerful. And just in case you didn't understand just how powerful Scarlett was getting, every few minutes there literally would be a title card showing the percentage of her brain capacity she was using.

I tried to stay with it but ultimately it got weirder and weirder so I lost interest once she hit about 60%, which was about the point Luc decided to say Fuck It and intercut some shooting with a chopped-up remix of 2001's Jupiter Beyond the Infinite sequence (with some of that good Dawn of Man thrown in at the start and the finish as well).

Even with tempered expectations, it was dull. But that Damon Albarn shole can write a song...

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Gender Coons Gotta Go

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Fri Jul-25-14 07:39 PM

4. "that's a shame"
In response to Reply # 3

I had high hopes for this.

I was impressed by the trailer.

I was extra hyped when I saw that it was also Min-sik Choi's (Oldboy) US debut. (How big is his role, by the way?)

Mostly hoping that this would be the big sleeper hit of the summer.

Now I'm more thinking it'll be a Netflix watch.

I mean, I might like it, but I'm not heading to the theater for it now...

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Jul-25-14 09:12 PM

5. "This is the second downer"
In response to Reply # 3

I'm reading about this
The first tore it apart on similar ...more specific scientific lines
Sigh
Great trailer though
I'll wait for cable then
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

onthat
Member since Aug 19th 2006
807 posts
Sat Jul-26-14 10:53 AM

6. "is under tge skin better?"
In response to Reply # 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxKrdlsHVmg

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sun Jul-27-14 03:10 AM

8. "Yes. Scarlett's good in this, but she was better in UTS."
In response to Reply # 6

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Gender Coons Gotta Go

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Mon Jul-28-14 11:25 AM

11. "just so you know Under The Skin is SUBTLE SCI FI"
In response to Reply # 6

and is very methodical. it moves at the pace of snail and is much about mood and atmosphere as it is about the plot. it looks beautiful and trippy in parts

i loved it, but it's not for every one

lfresh
92696 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 08:20 PM

25. "^^listen to this^^"
In response to Reply # 11

It's very good but yes it's not the norm
~~~~
~~~~

ODotSoHot
Member since Apr 02nd 2013
1171 posts
Sun Jul-27-14 12:14 AM

7. "Besson only uses about 10% of his brain"
In response to Reply # 0

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85002 posts
Sun Jul-27-14 04:48 PM

9. "44 mil opening weekend. scarjo winning."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

astralblak
20029 posts
Mon Jul-28-14 11:27 AM

12. "it will drop drastically next week"
In response to Reply # 9

it's getting trashed critically

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Tue Jul-29-14 02:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "RE: it will drop drastically next week"
In response to Reply # 12

>it's getting trashed critically

with Guardians of the Galaxy opening this week, EVERYTHING at the box office will see it's gross drop....

if it holds on to number two this coming weekend, that would be a major accomplishment

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Mon Jul-28-14 08:08 AM

10. "Luc Besson shouldn't try to get deep"
In response to Reply # 0

This movie went from La Femme Nikita, to Limitless meets Phenomenon, straight to outtakes from Cosmos w/ Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

I literally groaned during the last act.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Jul-28-14 01:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "yep...he tried to get deep and it backfired"
In response to Reply # 10

the deeper he tried to make it all sound, the more ridiculos (sp) the movie got...

it tried though...i wasn't mad, just disappointed...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86643 posts
Wed Jul-30-14 12:05 AM

15. "I'm pretty sure the *point* was for it to get ridiculous."
In response to Reply # 13

Besson seems acutely aware that the science is faulty, and he is more than okay with that. It's entertainment.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Wed Jul-30-14 07:25 AM

18. "so you think the point was to get so crazy it became a joke?"
In response to Reply # 15

at least to the audience?? i get that over the top was probably the goal, but i think it veered on the bad side of that in the end...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

Frank Longo
86643 posts
Wed Jul-30-14 11:33 AM

19. "Define "joke.""
In response to Reply # 18

Because, yes, there are comedic beats throughout the end. Most of them surrounding a perfectly timed cut to Freeman and the scientists giving a "wtf" look. Because what is happening is so insane. So in that sense, there are jokes pertaining to how nuts the movie gets.

If you thought the end was a joke in the sense that it was irreparably stupid, odds are you were pretty disconnected from the moment she could start controlling her own matter, which was at, like, 20%. Freeman told us precisely where the movie was headed in his opening speech. The movie sets the rules for its own world and then follows them to a T.

I had no problem accepting that at 100% capacity Lucy could control her perception of time and space, because, well, it had been established. It's a superhero movie. If I'm not going to nitpick the science of Superman or the X-Men, I'm certainly not going to nitpick here-- especially when the world created is so consistently following its own rules.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Wed Jul-30-14 03:04 PM

20. "if you think of the movie as a superhero origin story, it all fits"
In response to Reply # 19

so i appreciate you saying that cause when thought about THAT way, it works, even some of the more outlandish stuff...i didn't go in thinking of it as such...i don't know why in retrospect, but i didn't...

if you don't think of it as you have though, it all seems crazy and i think i was good until she turned herself into an orgain computer...in fact, i was probably down all the way up til she saw the ape and then gave dude the ultimate traveldrive

Frank Longo
86643 posts
Wed Jul-30-14 03:27 PM

21. "*spoilers on ending in the reply above and this one*"
In response to Reply # 20

The travel drive is definitely intentionally funny. She creates/becomes this thing beyond comprehension, so she has to dumb it down to our level. Especially funny considering there is no need for a travel drive, since, as she reveals seconds later, she is transcendent.

I loved the moment with "Lucy" (the ape) at the end for a billion reasons-- the idea that she is responsible for the spark of humanity, the religious allusions to the Creation of Man on the Sistine Ceiling (made even more obvious by the inclusion of the painting in an earlier montage), her deadpan responses to "Lucy"'s scream.

It just never felt pretentious or even pseudo-deep. It all felt playful in tone, designed to entertain and to take you on a ride more than to teach you some grander truth.

It's not like the film was humorless in tone or overly grave at any moment-- even the most "serious" moment in the film (the phone call with Mom) is funny in its execution (the Mom asking if she's okay as the doctor reaches into her belly). It's all a whirlwind.

Frank Longo
86643 posts
Wed Jul-30-14 12:08 AM

16. "This movie goes completely ape shit, which I totally love."
In response to Reply # 0

It's a superhero movie, plain and simple. Only this superhero's power keeps getting stronger and stronger, to the point where her humanity is the real villain.

ScarJo is outstanding. The visuals are absolutely on point. Besson keeps putting all sorts of (intentional) visual and dialogue jokes all over the place, nearly all of which hit for me.

I thought this was better than most of the summer's fare to date.

no_i_cant_dance
Member since Apr 10th 2006
5577 posts
Wed Jul-30-14 02:14 AM

17. "Her hair looked terrible the entire movie & none of the men were attract..."
In response to Reply # 0

It was worth the $5 I paid to see it tho.

<<Mood...Poppy Okotcha in Look 1 at Ashish Fall 2016

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa7KBq0q5bU

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Thu Jul-31-14 09:49 PM

22. "RE: Lucy in the sky with Diamonds versus Lucy in the theater"
In response to Reply # 0

lol, ok i know i am ridiculous hut i honestly think i would prefer some of that LiSD. That stuff John and Paul was singing about sounds more fun than watching this Besson movie.

lol, i really don't know if i wanna check this out. It looks so meh.
Bliss

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sat Aug-02-14 10:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "Shit was like Transcendence meets an episode of Covert Affairs"
In response to Reply # 0

The beginning was good, but it went downhill fast.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

lfresh
92696 posts
Sun Aug-03-14 07:05 PM

24. "I liked it"
In response to Reply # 0

Fits into Besson oveure perfectly
I was worried with all the bad reviews
Then I read this
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/07/what-in-the-world-is-scarlett-johansson-up-to-lucy-under-the-skin-her-a-feminist-disappearing-act/375141/

Still the usual problematic issues with how Asians are protrayed but eh slow progress

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/29/scarlett-johansson-vs-the-faceless-men-of-color.html

~~~~
~~~~

Anfernee
Member since Nov 11th 2004
24780 posts
Wed Aug-13-14 01:48 AM

26. "It was cool, but got pretty ridiculous in the end."
In response to Reply # 0

When she hit maximum cerebral capacity and turned into a fucking flash drive, I was like... Nah, bro.

Cool visuals though.

I think I still liked it overall.

http://www.angryasianman.com

GQ
Charter member
1369 posts
Sat Aug-23-14 09:42 AM

27. "RE: Lucy (Besson, 2014)"
In response to Reply # 0

don't waste your time with this pile of shit excuse of a movie!!!! she gains control of matter at 20% use of her brain and BECOMES matter at the end......specifically a muthafucking flash drive.....gtfoohwtbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i haven't been this mad leaving a flick since ballistic: ecks vs. severs............

"You don't like climbing trees?......You're missin' out." - Michael Jackson

"But Michael, you're a 44-year-old man now, what do you get out of
this?" - Martin Bashir

"Prince Michael II but we call him Blanket......because it's an expression I use

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Oct-01-14 09:01 AM

28. "Transcendence w/ titties"
In response to Reply # 0

Morgan might be the only redeeming factor in either flick

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Fri Oct-03-14 10:28 PM

29. "RE: Do not continue reading if easily offended"
In response to Reply # 0

Lucy is all about melanin and chaos theory. I am not gonna discuss this here,y'all look it up yourself.

This movie was trash but it did have some redeeming value and that was professor Norman played by Freeman. I like Freeman. All of the roles he has been doing lately are interesting. He said in an interview that he believes he is a GOD. Morgan on that GOD shit. The man got my respect. Everything he was talking about in this movie was truth.

A lot of people complained about how ridiculous Lucy was. I got to be honest it did not bother me. Lucy basically became a weapon and i knew that is what it was all about. let's face facts. This is where humanity is headed folks, unfortunately.

No fear, no pain, no desire. I like that line. Imo it is best to pay more attention to what is being said rather than what is being shown. STOP LOOKING AT SCARLETT'S TITTIES.

Grade C-

Oh and btw that other Lucy i was talking about earlier, you know, the Lsd. Well, guess what that is about. That's about melanin and and chaos too. i know i am nuts. lol

Bliss

Rolo_Tomasi
Member since Jan 29th 2004
1140 posts
Sat Oct-04-14 11:49 AM

30. "Nonsense"
In response to Reply # 0

The worst movie i've seen in the cinema for a very long time. Luc Besson hang your head in shame and don't make another film until you can come up with far better than this shite.

Scarface_7
Charter member
10012 posts
Mon Oct-06-14 08:36 AM

31. "I really liked it. Not the Fifth Element good, but I enjoyed"
In response to Reply # 0

its funny how polarizing it is (Just look at this thread), amongst my friends was the same way....All us cool ppl liked it though LOL

..._...|..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = D @Warwizard

...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
COTW Afficianado, Dro

astralblak
20029 posts
Sat Feb-21-15 01:49 PM

32. "this movie was stupid it wasn't even fun"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Feb-21-15 01:49 PM by astralblak

I don't believe the that's what Besson was going for shit either. I think he wanted a action flick with a lead that had depth, but it fell flat on it's face because the action was weak and the theory was just bad

I did enjoying the beginning nature shots cut into movie scenes, as he attempted to frame the symbolism and theme, and some of the scenes made me laugh at it, but nah yo

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sat Feb-21-15 10:29 PM

33. "It wasn't bad, it was SO bad"
In response to Reply # 0

My expectations might have been high because I liked the premise and I'm a big fan of Choi Min-sik.

But oh man this movie was terrible. First off Choi Min-sik is totally wasted. Even ignoring the fact that the logic in the movie is waaaay off, this was just dumb. Basically it's saying that "extra brain capabilities" mean that you have super powers but act like a robot.

It feels like this was a movie made from a script written back in the 80s.

Not the worst movie out there, but definitely not worth paying for.

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 08:50 PM

34. "RE: It wasn't bad, it was SO bad"
In response to Reply # 33

I agree, just watched this weekend as coworker keeps on telling me I have to see it

I was underwhelmed. It wasn't like its bloated either, first movie under 90 minutes I've seen in a while, but it was just too ridiculous and really just not very good, will not watch again.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #676446 Previous topic | Next topic