Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #659185

Subject: "Get on Up (Taylor, 2014)" Previous topic | Next topic
ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 10:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Get on Up (Taylor, 2014)"
Fri Mar-14-14 12:11 AM by ZooTown74

Chadwick Boseman goes from Jackie Robinson to James Brown

This apparently the movie that Spike was taken off of

http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/universal-sets-42s-chadwick-boseman-to-play-james-brown/

>Universal Sets ’42′s Chadwick Boseman To Play James Brown

By MIKE FLEMING JR | Monday August 26, 2013 @ 5:42pm PDT

BREAKING: Universal Pictures has found its James Brown. They’ve set Chadwick Boseman, who just played iconic Brooklyn Dodgers second baseman Jackie Robinson in 42. The Help‘s Tate Taylor is directing the film.

Imagine Entertainment‘s Brian Grazer is producing the film with another musical icon, Mick Jagger. The film will be a co-production between Jagged Films, based on a screenplay by Jez Butterworth & John-Henry Butterworth. Grazer and Jagger will produce along with Jagged’s Victoria Pearman and Imagine’s Erica Huggins.

Universal signed on recently. The story charts a young boy’s rise from extreme poverty and violence to become The Godfather Of Soul, one of the most influential black artists in history whose career spanned six decades. Grazer started the project at a time when the singer himself was an active part in its development, before he died in late 2006.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
But Zootown, black people and media, so...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
oh shit. A shame Spike ain't on it, although it's prolly for the best.
Aug 27th 2013
Good James Brown Long Form Article here.
Aug 27th 2013
I'd rather have Tyler Perry direct it than Tate Taylor
Aug 27th 2013
Well at least the ending should be good then
Aug 28th 2013
Can't wait for that softsell glossy PG-13 pat-on-the-back
Aug 27th 2013
I enjoyed 42... def going to see this
Aug 27th 2013
Spike wanted to direct both of those movies...
Aug 28th 2013
This could end up being a train wreck.
Aug 28th 2013
ugh
Aug 28th 2013
1st Trailer (link)
Mar 14th 2014
Looks absolutely generic.
Mar 14th 2014
      ^^^I'm in this line
Mar 15th 2014
Chadwick Boseman was not the right choice. IDK who is, but he's not!
Mar 14th 2014
you're wrong about that.
Aug 01st 2014
from the director of The Help - first red flag...lol
Mar 15th 2014
I'm excited, for two reasons.
Aug 01st 2014
This is a fabulous film.
Aug 01st 2014
Reviews indicate that the movie uses the 1988 car chase as
Aug 01st 2014
Arty Biopic. Proceed with caution.
Aug 01st 2014
Oh, too late
Aug 01st 2014
that article is awful and false
Aug 03rd 2014
RE: Arty Biopic. Proceed with caution.
Aug 02nd 2014
      You chose two terrible reviews to support your dislike for Tate Taylor.
Aug 02nd 2014
           There are multiple White Devil references in the first half hour.
Aug 03rd 2014
It was about 30 minutes too long, but a very good and enjoyable film.
Aug 02nd 2014
Boseman is a star. The movie has biopic problems, but he's great.
Aug 03rd 2014
Why did the movie not include his abuse of singer Tammi Terrell?
Aug 04th 2014
They include his physical abuse of women.
Aug 04th 2014
Ack.
Aug 04th 2014
RE: Get on Up (Taylor, 2014)
Nov 22nd 2014
Nelsan Ellis needs more work
Nov 24th 2014
I really fucked with this movie
Feb 14th 2015
i enjoyed this
Feb 22nd 2015

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44256 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 10:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "oh shit. A shame Spike ain't on it, although it's prolly for the best."
In response to Reply # 0

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49377 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 12:37 PM

2. "Good James Brown Long Form Article here. "
In response to Reply # 1

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/music/200903/james-brown-legacy-money-millions

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 01:36 PM

3. "I'd rather have Tyler Perry direct it than Tate Taylor"
In response to Reply # 1

The_Red_Ninja_Turtle
Member since Jul 14th 2007
7064 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 09:37 PM

8. "Well at least the ending should be good then"
In response to Reply # 1

b.Touch
20514 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 01:38 PM

4. "Can't wait for that softsell glossy PG-13 pat-on-the-back"
In response to Reply # 0

pet African-American version of JB!

I'm just waiting with baited breath! We all saw how masterfully "The Help" captured the Black experience!

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32090 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 03:51 PM

5. "I enjoyed 42... def going to see this "
In response to Reply # 0

wonder if Boseman could make a career out of playing any other historical black figures lol

ODotSoHot
Member since Apr 02nd 2013
1171 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 01:05 AM

6. "Spike wanted to direct both of those movies..."
In response to Reply # 0

Crazy

jamalbricks
Charter member
2643 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 09:48 AM

7. "This could end up being a train wreck."
In response to Reply # 0

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 09:48 PM

9. "ugh"
In response to Reply # 0

>The Help‘s Tate Taylor is directing the film.

"i smack clowns with nouns, punch herbs with verbs..."

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Mar-14-14 12:11 AM

10. "1st Trailer (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/getonup/

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Why niggas be trying to prove Internet hypotheses?

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Fri Mar-14-14 01:08 AM

11. "Looks absolutely generic."
In response to Reply # 10
Fri Mar-14-14 01:21 AM by SoulHonky

Could still be a quality film but, man, this trailer feels like it's a template for every music biopic ever mad. It's like a Mad Libs but with none of the spaces filled in. Whoever was in charge of cutting that trailer should be fired. It's hard to cut a mostly chronological trailer that still doesn't give you much of a sense of what's going on.

Sad that one of the more innovative artists of our time seems to be getting a film that is pretty much lacking much of any innovation at all.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sat Mar-15-14 12:36 PM

14. "^^^I'm in this line"
In response to Reply # 11

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Mar-14-14 07:56 AM

12. "Chadwick Boseman was not the right choice. IDK who is, but he's not!"
In response to Reply # 0

Proverbs 9 : 7-9
7 Whoever corrects a mocker invites insults;
whoever rebukes the wicked incurs abuse.
8 Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you;
rebuke the wise and they will love you.
http://instagram.com/casethenupe

mathmagic
Charter member
6078 posts
Fri Aug-01-14 07:30 AM

17. "you're wrong about that. "
In response to Reply # 12

DJ007
Member since Apr 06th 2003
5447 posts
Sat Mar-15-14 11:38 AM

13. "from the director of The Help - first red flag...lol"
In response to Reply # 0

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86665 posts
Fri Aug-01-14 01:12 AM

15. "I'm excited, for two reasons."
In response to Reply # 0

1. Boseman is a fucking star, and if folks haven't seen it before this, they will now.
2. Jez Butterworth is a fucking great writer (much better than Tate Taylor himself), so I highly doubt it remotely approaches The Help in terms of dialogue and structure.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

mathmagic
Charter member
6078 posts
Fri Aug-01-14 07:30 AM

16. "This is a fabulous film. "
In response to Reply # 0

I might go see it again.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Fri Aug-01-14 03:50 PM

18. "Reviews indicate that the movie uses the 1988 car chase as"
In response to Reply # 0

the framing device.

That's enough to make sure I wait to see this thing for free or some sort of a minimal price.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Aug-01-14 07:59 PM

19. "Arty Biopic. Proceed with caution."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Aug-01-14 08:36 PM by ZooTown74

It's about as far from a "standard" biopic - where we go from Event A to Event B, then to Event C, etc. - as you can get.

The storytelling is rather... elliptical. Well, non-linear. That's the best word I can use to describe it. People are most likely going to be pissed, and we'll probably have some articles detailing what was missing, as well as a couple of possible "think pieces" about how "they" decided to "whitewash" James Brown. Which isn't actually true. Anyway, yes, the movie starts with the 1988 car chase, but from there the story time-jumps all over the place from event to event, until a theme eventually emerges. Exactly what that theme was, I couldn't really tell you. Although I think it has something to do with James' abandonment issues, starting from when he was a little boy. For me, it's going to take a second viewing to see if I can further suss it out.

Performance-wise, I thought Chadwick Boseman nailed James Brown, Nelsan Ellis was cool as his sidekick Bobby Byrd. Dan Aykroyd was okay as a manager. Jill wasn't in the thing for very long. Neither was Black Thought. Aloe Blacc had more screen time than BT. I also thought that Viola and Octavia were wasted, Octavia especially.

But then again, I don't really think I should be complaining that much about actors flitting in and out of the movie, because that was the point: everybody goes in and out of JB's life until eventually, they die, get fired from the band, or quit. The way this is told naturally means that a LOT of things are going to be left out of the story, and causes me to ask questions about what remained. I mean, in one sense I understand the need to include the T.A.M.I. Show event, where a pissed-off, competitive, and highly-motivated James led his band through a blistering performance because the Rolling Stones, and not him, was closing the show. But did we really need the brief moment where he leaves the stage and says something to a young version of (Get on Up producer) Mick Jagger?

I dunno. I guess I admired the concept more than I completely dug the final product. But there's a lot of good stuff in here.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Gender Coons Gotta Go

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Aug-01-14 08:22 PM

20. "Oh, too late"
In response to Reply # 19

>and we'll probably have some articles detailing what
>was missing, as well as a couple of possible "think pieces"
>about how "they" decided to "whitewash" James Brown.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gregory-allen-howard/whitewashing-of-james-brown_b_5638130.html

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Gender Coons Gotta Go

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sun Aug-03-14 10:20 PM

26. "that article is awful and false"
In response to Reply # 20

and i haven't even seen the damn movie

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sat Aug-02-14 02:39 AM

21. "RE: Arty Biopic. Proceed with caution."
In response to Reply # 19

> People are
>most likely going to be pissed, and we'll probably have some
>articles detailing what was missing, as well as a couple of
>possible "think pieces" about how "they" decided to
>"whitewash" James Brown. Which isn't actually true.

Why isn't this true? I ask because I've read other reviews (http://www.avclub.com/review/get-cagey-shapeless-james-brown-biopic-207304, http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/movies/get-on-up-review-james-brown-biopic-is-super-bad-1.8928113, others) that speak about the film's awkward and/or underplayed handling of race.

I'm probably just not going to like this film no matter how it's done (because it's JAMES BROWN - he's like a great uncle to me), but starting with the car chase is a low blow to me. I also haven't forgiven Taye Turner for "The Help", and feel he is one of the least qualified people in Hollywood to be anywhere near a JB picture.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Sat Aug-02-14 07:08 PM

22. "You chose two terrible reviews to support your dislike for Tate Taylor."
In response to Reply # 21
Sat Aug-02-14 07:11 PM by ZooTown74

And I mean they're "terrible" in the sense that neither one really delves into, or expands upon, the "race issue" in the same way that the piece I linked to does.

Here's a much better, mixed review of the film that also touches on the "race issues" that were dismissed as "briefly touched upon" by those reviews that you liked:

http://grantland.com/features/guardians-of-the-galaxy-get-on-up-review/

There's also a terrible piece by Aisha Harris that does the usual blog fact checking bullshit, by listing off every single instance of social activism of James Brown's that she feels was "a shame" they left out of a movie that already runs 2 hours and 18 minutes:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/08/01/james_brown_s_social_activism_a_brief_history_of_the_singer_s_politics_not.html?wpsrc=fol_fb

The problem with the Howard think piece, and those two reviews, and Harris' list, is the assumption they all make that the James Brown story is and should only be told one way, and one way only: with a checklist of events that happened in Brown's life, and with an ultra-strong emphasis on the undeniable racism that he encountered throughout.

(Howard is also assuming that no black writers were brought in to do uncredited rewrite work on the script, either before or during production).

This movie touches on race. James Brown talks about - and jones on - white folks in this film. He's also shown making power moves in the face of racism. He's also shown triumphing (and in the case of the Famous Flames, faltering) in the face of music industry racism.

>I'm probably just not going to like this film no matter how
>it's done (because it's JAMES BROWN - he's like a great uncle
>to me), but starting with the car chase is a low blow to me. I
>also haven't forgiven Taye Turner for "The Help", and feel he
>is one of the least qualified people in Hollywood to be
>anywhere near a JB picture.

And now we get to the meat of the problem. I think seeing the movie will give you a better perspective on what it set out to do and the story it wanted to tell (or at least allude to) and the points it touches on. And at the very least you'll be able to appreciate the performances from Chadwick Boseman and Nelsan Ellis. Doesn't mean like the movie cause it's perfect; it's most certainly not (I had more of a problem with the dearth of female screen time than the alleged glossing over of the racism of the time), but it's worth a watch for those performances that I mentioned.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Gender Coons Gotta Go

Frank Longo
86665 posts
Sun Aug-03-14 09:51 PM

24. "There are multiple White Devil references in the first half hour."
In response to Reply # 22

You nailed it, Zoo-- they just wanted the story told their way, not the way the movie told it. Which inherently misunderstands the whole point of film criticism-- you take the story that was told and criticize that, not what was left out.

catalyst
Member since Dec 27th 2005
1389 posts
Sat Aug-02-14 07:53 PM

23. "It was about 30 minutes too long, but a very good and enjoyable film. "
In response to Reply # 0

Boseman was brilliant and so was Brandon Smith (Little Richard). I loved that it wasn't linear .

Frank Longo
86665 posts
Sun Aug-03-14 09:52 PM

25. "Boseman is a star. The movie has biopic problems, but he's great."
In response to Reply # 0

There's really strong dialogue here, and I liked the toying with the structure, as it changed up the usual biopic feel, even if all the usual moments are there.

Still, this is all about Boseman, a sensational young actor.

J-Elijah
Member since Dec 09th 2009
260 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 01:31 AM

27. "Why did the movie not include his abuse of singer Tammi Terrell?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Aug-04-14 01:32 AM by J-Elijah

The movie forgot to include his relationship with Tammi Terrell. James Brown beat Tammi like Ike beat Tina.

Frank Longo
86665 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 09:42 AM

28. "They include his physical abuse of women."
In response to Reply # 27

There's only so much time in a movie, but they show one vicious beating outright and heavily imply the beatings another wife took. He's not a "good man" by any stretch.

CocoaCure
Member since Sep 23rd 2002
8926 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 04:50 PM

29. "Ack."
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't care for them breaking the 4th wall, omitting his comeback in the 80's, nor explaining the decline to drugs. They made it seem like he just woke up one day and said "Hmmm, I think I'll do some drugs today."

I also didn't like that they glossed over his influence in the music industry by just throwing a quick blurb on the screen at the end and by him saying it during his shotgun rant because it kind of trivialized his importance. I wouldn't have minded seeing him come full circle with the last live Apollo performance and them either listing all the songs that were sampled, or doing side by side snippets. For the movie to end in a timeline of the early 90's I don't see how even a song like "Fight the Power" got omitted. There was nothing in the end of the movie to show you how the music landscape or time had changed other than the white guy cleaning the pool bit. Outside music would have helped frame the time period better.

<----- ...I'm a peace-loving decoy
Ready for retaliation...

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Sat Nov-22-14 11:50 PM

30. "RE: Get on Up (Taylor, 2014)"
In response to Reply # 0

Grade B+

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Nov-24-14 10:53 AM

31. "Nelsan Ellis needs more work"
In response to Reply # 0

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sat Feb-14-15 05:03 PM

32. "I really fucked with this movie"
In response to Reply # 0

I like Zoo's analysis above, and enjoyed it more than he seemed too

Frank nailed it with his opinion of Boseman, who did a fantastic James. Look key revelatory performance.

as I knew those think pieces that floated around the time the movie was released where completely off base, and push for archetypes rather than people, more so than the finished products actually do

the film was unapologetic of how poverty and the church influenced his sound and life. how much of an asshole he was, how he loved and hurt woman, and how drugs came into the equation, and more importantly how powerful the music he made actually was, not only in terms of the new, but the effect it had on people within his circle and the general public

yes, I really fucn liked it

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 05:22 PM

33. "i enjoyed this"
In response to Reply # 0

better than advertised.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
instagram:
http://instagram.com/0kayndc

"There is much temptation to use what has worked before,
even when it may exceed its effective scope."

"Roll me further bitch"

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #659185 Previous topic | Next topic