Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #657247

Subject: "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Ben Stiller, 2013)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 06:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Ben Stiller, 2013)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGWO2w0H2V8

I didn't know Benjamin Stiller had an eye for photography. Even though this is a teaser, shit looks mmmaaaaaaaadddd good. I can definitely see why this is coming out at Christmas.

Can I just say though that there are TOO MANY movies dropping at Christmas now. Shit's getting ridiculous.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This is gonna be the centerpiece for the NYFF *swipe*
Aug 01st 2013
i'm in...
Aug 01st 2013
The return of bad guy Adam Scott!!!
Aug 02nd 2013
Looks decent. I loved those stories in school.
Aug 02nd 2013
And married. This looks like a pretty loose adaptation
Oct 08th 2013
i'm in
Aug 02nd 2013
RE: i'm in
Aug 02nd 2013
I'm getting tired of watching Ben Stiller ruin movies
Aug 02nd 2013
New full trailer and first reactions out of the NYFF *swipe*
Oct 07th 2013
I think I saw a tweet from a reviewer who was mad that it wasn't
Oct 07th 2013
      Oh wow...
Oct 08th 2013
Listen, this shit was dope as fuck
Nov 16th 2013
I loved this!!!
Nov 27th 2013
Also, I was trying to figure out who the voice was of the eHarmony
Nov 27th 2013
two questions
Dec 24th 2013
      two answers
Dec 24th 2013
saw it, loved it
Dec 23rd 2013
Really? People liked this?
Dec 27th 2013
Beautiful...from core message to the actual photography
Dec 30th 2013
really good movie
Jan 02nd 2014
RE: this movie looks sappy,lol, i am surprised folks here like it
Jan 02nd 2014
I loved this, and I'm happy most here did
Jan 11th 2014

bwood
8614 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 08:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This is gonna be the centerpiece for the NYFF *swipe*"
In response to Reply # 0

Just days after the premiere of the first trailer for Ben Stiller's adaptation of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, the Film Society of Lincoln Center has announced that the anticipated movie adapted from James Thurber’s short story will be premiering as the Centerpiece Gala at the 51st New York Film Festival.

Besides directing the film, Stiller stars as the title character, a daydreamer who escapes his anonymous life by disappearing into a world of fantasies filled with heroism, romance and action. When his job along with that of his co-worker (Kristen Wiig) are threatened, Walter takes action in the real world embarking on a global journey that turns into an adventure more extraordinary than anything he could have ever imagined.

Stiller's latest film joins Paul Greengrass' Captain Phillips, starring Tom Hanks, that snagged the Opening Gala spot earlier this week although that opens a few weeks after its premiere whereas "Walter Mitty" won't be released until Christmas Day.

You can read the full press release below:

The Film Society of Lincoln Center announced today that Ben Stiller’s highly anticipated adaptation of James Thurber’s classic short story THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY which also stars Stiller alongside Kristen Wiig, will make its World Premiere on Saturday, October 5 as the Centerpiece Gala presentation for the upcoming 51st New York Film Festival (September 27 – October 13).

NYFF’s Director of Programming and Selection Committee Chair, Kent Jones said, “Ben Stiller has expanded on James Thurber’s beloved short story and crafted a beautifully lyrical comic epic, grounded in present day realities and concerns. He is wonderful in the lead, Kristen Wiig is nothing short of magical as the woman of his dreams, and it’s great to see Shirley MacLaine in perfect form. THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY is one terrific ride, and I’m thrilled that we’re able to present it as our Centerpiece screening.”

Stiller directs and stars in the remake of James Thurber’s classic story (first published in The New Yorker in 1939) of a day-dreamer who escapes his anonymous life by disappearing into a world of fantasies filled with heroism, romance and action. When his job along with that of his co-worker (Kristen Wiig) are threatened, Walter takes action in the real world embarking on a global journey that turns into an adventure more extraordinary than anything he could have ever imagined. Shirley MacLaine, Adam Scott, Kathryn Hahn, Patton Oswalt and Sean Penn also star. The 20th Century Fox release is set to open wide on Christmas Day.

Ben Stiller said, "I am incredibly honored and excited to have THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY premiere in the New York Film Festival. When I first heard, I wanted to make sure it was the one at Lincoln Center and not one in Utica or somewhere. Making this film has been a wonderful collaboration with a really special screenwriter, Steve Conrad, and all the extremely talented cast and crew who worked on this movie. Having grown up a few blocks away on Riverside Drive, I couldn't be happier to have it premiere here."

Rose Kuo, the Executive Director of the Film Society of Lincoln Center, said "Ben Stiller has long demonstrated an ability to mesh comic imagination with an eye toward the cultural zeitgeist and THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY is his crowning achievement. We are very excited to welcome him for his debut at the New York Film Festival. We know he grew up in the neighborhood and we realized that he was too talented to keep out forever.”

FilmLinc Daily Managing Editor Brian Brooks spoke with Stiller about THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY, the film’s selection for NYFF’s Centerpiece Gala, looking ahead to the debut of the film and his “homecoming” to NYFF and Lincoln Center. That interview can be found at Filmlinc.com

The 17-day New York Film Festival highlights the best in world cinema, featuring top films from celebrated filmmakers as well as fresh new talent. The selection committee, chaired by Jones also includes: Dennis Lim, FSLC Director of Cinematheque Programming; Gavin Smith, Editor-in-Chief, Film Comment; Amy Taubin, Contributing Editor, Film Comment and Sight and Sound; and Marian Masone, FSLC Associate Director of Programming.

NYFF previously announced Paul Greengrass’s CAPTAIN PHILLIPS as its Opening Night Gala selection.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 09:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "i'm in..."
In response to Reply # 0

Looks great

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

okaycomputer
Member since Dec 02nd 2002
8090 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 07:07 AM

3. "The return of bad guy Adam Scott!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 10:33 AM

4. "Looks decent. I loved those stories in school."
In response to Reply # 0

Isn't Walter Mitty supposed to be a little older though?

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 12:42 PM

11. "And married. This looks like a pretty loose adaptation"
In response to Reply # 4

But so was the Danny Kaye version, and that was great.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 11:38 AM

5. "i'm in"
In response to Reply # 0

when i'm not sure
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

bwood
8614 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 11:43 AM

6. "RE: i'm in"
In response to Reply # 5

>when i'm not sure

^^^What'chu mean?

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 03:55 PM

7. "I'm getting tired of watching Ben Stiller ruin movies"
In response to Reply # 0

So he better bring it this time.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

bwood
8614 posts
Mon Oct-07-13 05:59 PM

8. "New full trailer and first reactions out of the NYFF *swipe*"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Xk-yTuFEU

So it seems audiences loved it while critics are mixed. Even the negative reviews aren't that negative saying it's a little too sappy, which is fine cause we haven't had a sappy film in a while. It's also fine since they seem to be aiming this to all audiences.

What's agreed on is that Ben Stiller has made a very major mature step-up from Tropic Thunder as a filmmaker. They also say every shot in this film is incredible.

I'm still excited.

http://www.thewrap.com/secret-life-walter-mitty-reviews-critics-divided-ben-stillers-latest/

The comic fantasy may be an Oscar contender or an awards also-run

Critics are divided about whether or not Ben Stiller’s take on “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” is visionary or just vapid.

The special effects driven comedy debuted last weekend at the New York Film Festival, where it received an enthusiastic response from audiences, but polarized reviews. Some commentators praised the film as a bold step forward in the “Tropic Thunder” star’s evolution as a filmmaker and others faulted the film for being tonally inconsistent.

Of course, just getting “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” to the screen is a significant accomplishment. A film version of the James Thurber short story about a milquetoast who loses himself in daydreams has been kicking around for over a decade, attracting interest from the likes of Jim Carrey, Steven Spielberg and Mike Myers without ever managing to get off the ground.

The movie debuts on Christmas, so its possible that a consensus will emerge over the coming days and months. For now, distributor 20th Century Fox is hoping that with Stiller’s name above the title and a feel-good storyline, “Walter Mitty” can emerge as the kind of film that plays well with both Oscar voters and the movie-going public, making it a rare critical and commercial triumph.

TheWrap’s Robert Hofler was firmly in the camp of the haters — knocking the picture as an enervating affair. It might have worked better, he argued, if Stiller had tapped into the reservoirs of rage that characterized his work in films like “Meet the Parents.”

“Unfortunately, this ‘Mitty’ tries too hard, and as a result his many adventures — both real and imagined — are neither intriguing nor amusing,” Hofler wrote.

The problem with “Walter Mitty” may have been its long-gestation, IndieWire’s Eric Kohn wrote. He argued that the film is an example of too many cooks embellishing a recipe until it becomes tasteless and likening the film to an uplifting, but empty Mac commercial.

“Passed through so many hands, its underlying appeal has been steadily rubbed out: Stiller’s take has no discernible personality, much like Walter himself,” Kohn wrote.

Peter Debruge of Variety argued that playing down the comedy works for the film, giving it the kind of earnestness and uplift that one associates with Cameron Crowe.

“While the confusing mix of genres and ideas might throw first-wave auds for a loop, the approach is timeless enough to hold up,” Debruge wrote. “Who knows? In 20 years, the death of Life might seem less outdated, and Walter’s awakening could be as profound as he imagines.”

The film is sentimental and that may be its undoing with certain constituencies, Mike Ryan of the Huffington Post wrote in a largely favorable notice. Yet what some might decry as mawkish, he found emotionally invigorating, particularly thanks to the visual effects work that spins celluloid wonders out of Mitty’s fantasy life.

“And, yes, it’s sappy,” Ryan wrote. “But sometimes sap tastes good. And it helps when the sap looks beautiful, and ‘Walter Mitty’ is a gorgeous-looking movie.”

It’s a technical masterwork that also contains superb contributions from Stiller as both actor and star, raved Joey Magidson of FirstShowing.net.

“This is easily Ben Stiller’s most accomplished bit of acting and directing yet in his extensive career,” Magidson wrote. “His performance is incredibly sympathetic and he perfectly captures Walter’s transition from ordinary and meek to extraordinary and confident.

Don’t look to David Poland to make sense of “Walter Mitty.” The pugnacious Movie City News guru wrote that he couldn’t quite make sense of his feelings for the film. On the one hand, he wasn’t feeling all the fantasy stuff. On the other, he hailed the picture as Stiller’s best work as a director (his behind the camera resume includes “Tropic Thunder” and “Reality Bites”).

“Audiences could make it a big hit… which is not to say the ‘commercial hit’ tag that Oscar consultants for other films have tried to hang around its neck,” Poland wrote. “The film is more emotionally ambitious than that. But can it be ‘The Blind Side’ or a less spiritual ‘Life of Pi’ for audiences? I can’t discount that possibility.”

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Mon Oct-07-13 09:49 PM

9. "I think I saw a tweet from a reviewer who was mad that it wasn't"
In response to Reply # 8

Zoolander, and I don't think they were joking

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
But Zootown, black people and media, so...

bwood
8614 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 06:03 AM

10. "Oh wow..."
In response to Reply # 9

>Zoolander, and I don't think they were joking
>
>

^^^^SMH at that.

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sat Nov-16-13 04:24 PM

12. "Listen, this shit was dope as fuck"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Nov-16-13 04:24 PM by ZooTown74

The visuals are unquestionably the star of the movie.

And surprisingly, no Ben Stiller mugging throughout. He was fine. Kristen Wiig was also good but muted in the sense that she's not really allowed to be funny, broad or otherwise. There are lots of nice, funny jokes but nothing that's so egregiously broad that it takes you out of the story.

But those visuals are gorgeous. And the more "cynical" and "logical" amongst us might get mad at the quote that appears at random points on the screen, but I personally thought it was a clever touch. There's an awful lot of positivity and "just do it" spirit in this, which some might find cloying. I didn't mind it at all.

Great soundtrack too.

A pleasant surprise.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gotta hear both sides

bwood
8614 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 06:41 AM

13. "I loved this!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Nov-27-13 07:02 AM by bwood

Yea it maybe too earnest, but that's okay. In this day and age it's nice to have something like this since EVERYTHING is cynical. But I', surprised how well the film balanced itself of the tightrope of comedy, drama, adventure, and fantasy lines making them all blend together perfectly. I had no qualms with the jokes because they had me, two of my colleagues, my brother, and the very small audience laughing throughout the film.

I know people are gonna have a hard time with the Life quote constantly popping up in the film, but you know what it works. The film pulls at the right heartstrings without being too schmaltzy or having too much cheese.

To me what makes this film relatable is that everyone daydreams. And Walter is nice timid guy, you wanna see him win. Then again, a lot of my favorite films this year have been about lonely heartbroken losers. *Kanye shrug*

Ben Stiller really impressed me that he was able to pull of a role like this while having amazing photography that made me want to pause the film at points and just stare at a specific fame. But he was also able to get excellent performances out of his cast. Even though the characters all play a role to help Walter along his journey in one way or another, it works. THIS film didn't need complex characters with complex back stories. I also enjoyed the fact that they made Ms. Wiig a character in this film cause to me in everything I've seen her in she's just pretty much playing herself. And they made her really attractive in this film too. Stiller also used the music in the film at perfect moments. And the soundtrack is great.

The only problem I had was that there was a bar fight that seemed kinda out of character for Walter. And the way it started and ended I thought it was another daydream.

This is great family movie to take everyone young and old to on Christmas Day. I think all parties going in will enjoy this film. Shit, I'd even take a date to see this. It really does pull the right heartstrings in the right way.

Gonna have to see if I can catch the next screening on Monday to talk to Ben Stiller about a few things.

bwood
8614 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 07:41 AM

14. "Also, I was trying to figure out who the voice was of the eHarmony"
In response to Reply # 13

operator.

I was like why does that voice sound so familiar?

And when it was revealed, I smacked myself across the head for not picking it up. And he kills the role. Like he always does.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Dec-24-13 04:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "two questions"
In response to Reply # 13

1. Have you seen the original?
2. Do they use "ta-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa"?

Bonus points if you've read the short story or even know who wrote it.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

bwood
8614 posts
Tue Dec-24-13 05:06 PM

17. "two answers"
In response to Reply # 16

1. No.

2. I read the short story way back in elementary school. James Thurber wrote that shit.

PIMPINCHICAGO
Member since Mar 11th 2003
7441 posts
Mon Dec-23-13 07:27 PM

15. "saw it, loved it"
In response to Reply # 0

Iceland was awesome

Mole
Charter member
2869 posts
Fri Dec-27-13 01:03 AM

18. "Really? People liked this?"
In response to Reply # 0

It felt like a giant commercial to me, figuratively and literally (I mean, it's basically one long ad for eHarmony). I'm generally a bigger Ben Stiller fan than most, and I'm not so cynical that I couldn't enjoy a big movie with an "inspirational" message, but this just felt really hollow.

___

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v318/75/122/810420595/n810420595_3955028_32.jpg

"You can't imbue awesomeness into something that actually sucks." - Steve Albini

http://www.mpsinger.com
http://twitter.com/mpsinger

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Mon Dec-30-13 07:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "Beautiful...from core message to the actual photography "
In response to Reply # 0

Yes, it's very earnest and that was a breath of fresh air imo. The framing and photography was absolutely gorgeous...just so well shot. So many frames that resonate in my mind as I type.

There was a line by Sean Penn that hit me so hard because it so poignantly verbalized a feeling/emotion that I have been unable to describe...it's the Snow Leapord scene and rather than taking a picture he says that sometimes he doesn't take the photograph but rather just sees the moment himself. As a photograph enthusiast, I feel like I often times get so lost in trying to take the perfect shot that I forget to experience the moment through my own lens. That moment and verbalization just summed it all up in a way I didn't think possible.

Loved it.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Thu Jan-02-14 08:19 AM

20. "really good movie"
In response to Reply # 0

...i agree that the visuals are clearly the biggest plus of the movie....

...i liked the fact that the real adventures at one point seem like the daydreams and vice versa....

...everyone shines in this movie, even Wiig, who is clearly muted a lil bit in this role...Shirley Mac was stealing scenes and i loved it...

homeboy form Parks and Rec...uh..."Ben", was a douche, but i get why he was the way he was and i wasn't really mad at most of his behavior and reactions in the movie....

this really is the kind of movie a person should see in a theater first....i bet the IMAX would be awesome...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Thu Jan-02-14 09:42 PM

21. "RE: this movie looks sappy,lol, i am surprised folks here like it"
In response to Reply # 0

still got no interest in it

blinded by the lights
Member since Aug 31st 2008
625 posts
Sat Jan-11-14 05:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "I loved this, and I'm happy most here did"
In response to Reply # 0

I read some reviews after watching it and was disappointed to see it getting roasted.

"Yes I see all the nummmberrs... I still root for the dreeeamerrs... I thank God for the dreeeamerrs..." - Mos

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #657247 Previous topic | Next topic