Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #656695

Subject: "The Spectacular Now (Ponsoldt, 2013)" Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Thu Jul-25-13 03:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Spectacular Now (Ponsoldt, 2013)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wceaLzbtuDY

The trailer doesn't do it justice. But for those interested, there it is.

They're clearly going for a Hughesian type of teenage coming-of-age here, and for the most part, it works. It's primarily due to Teller and Woodley, both of whom have never been better, and the script, which nimbly dodges most of the pratfalls of the genre.

It's not breaking new ground, but it doesn't hit most of the tired teen film tropes you're accustomed to. I was surprised that the film surprised me.

I could gripe, especially about how Woodley a couple of times seems "too" perfect (far too many coming-of-age films have female characters who seem to be saintly saviors as opposed to flesh and blood), but on the whole the film is rich and heartfelt. Absolutely worth seeing.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm hopeful
Jul 25th 2013
Big fan of Woodley but Teller bugs me
Jul 26th 2013
His mini-Vince-Vaughn routine has bugged me in the past...
Jul 26th 2013
      yeah, he didn't do that here. there were glimpses of it, but he was good
Aug 13th 2013
I'll support Neustader's work and go check it out
Aug 02nd 2013
When is the nationwide release dates?
Aug 04th 2013
if you're in a major metro, it'll be in one of the indie theaters
Aug 04th 2013
      Word i was surprised i couldn't find it in DC this weekend
Aug 05th 2013
           DC apparently gets it Friday
Aug 05th 2013
one of the best films of the year
Aug 07th 2013
purposefully stuck in a moment.
Aug 16th 2013
really, really good
Aug 17th 2013
Agreed. One of the year's best.
Aug 19th 2013
Shit was good. Nothing groundbreaking. I don't get all the hype.
Sep 04th 2013
Damn Good Movie.......damn good
Dec 17th 2013

will_5198
Charter member
63111 posts
Thu Jul-25-13 05:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm hopeful"
In response to Reply # 0

ever since "Perks...", I'm giving more of these movies a chance to surprise me. and I loved Woodley in The Descendants (slight eye-roll at her not feeling attractive enough for high school in the trailer).

--------

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Jul-26-13 12:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Big fan of Woodley but Teller bugs me"
In response to Reply # 0

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Fri Jul-26-13 12:17 PM

3. "His mini-Vince-Vaughn routine has bugged me in the past..."
In response to Reply # 2

... and truth be told, some of that same shtick is on full display here. However, the character's depth allows him to dig deeper, past the fast-talk and down into why he acts that way.

Dude is a great actor-- I remember first seeing him in Rabbit Hole and being pretty blown away (there's no fast talk there at ALL). However, since he's kind of like his character in real life, it's not surprising that he's landed most every young shmoozer role the last couple of years.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Tue Aug-13-13 06:05 AM

10. "yeah, he didn't do that here. there were glimpses of it, but he was good"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue Aug-13-13 06:06 AM by Basaglia

woodley was great.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44719 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 02:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I'll support Neustader's work and go check it out"
In response to Reply # 0

Glad to see him with another project on the big screen.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Sun Aug-04-13 01:20 PM

5. "When is the nationwide release dates?"
In response to Reply # 0

will_5198
Charter member
63111 posts
Sun Aug-04-13 01:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "if you're in a major metro, it'll be in one of the indie theaters"
In response to Reply # 5

next Friday or the 16th. it goes nationwide the 23rd.

--------

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 02:42 PM

7. "Word i was surprised i couldn't find it in DC this weekend"
In response to Reply # 6

Will try next Friday.

ricky_BUTLER
Member since Jul 06th 2003
16899 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 11:44 PM

8. "DC apparently gets it Friday"
In response to Reply # 7

http://spectacularnowmovie.com/tickets

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Wed Aug-07-13 07:49 PM

9. "one of the best films of the year"
In response to Reply # 0

Redeeming my faith in film this season.
Like posted previous, the trailer doesn't do it justice.
I think I heard someone make the comment "this generation's Breakfast Club." As silly as that sounds, I'd have to agree.
Make a point to see it in theatres.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

will_5198
Charter member
63111 posts
Fri Aug-16-13 01:21 AM

11. "purposefully stuck in a moment."
In response to Reply # 0

high school is the time we seem most caught up in our immediate tense. how many life-or-death moments at 17 were embarrassingly unimportant in retrospect? it makes for a perfect backdrop here, where fucked up pasts and impending fate leave nothing but the now to care about.

Teller is fantastic. he does emulate Vince Vaughn's style, but with the tears of a clown and more empathy (a friendly no-comment on Woodley's nerdy addictions, instead of teasing or mocking). the totality of his performance only gets better as more is revealed.

Woodley flirts with the MPDG archetype, but all is forgiven as a counterpoint to Teller. she is the child that doesn't become the copy of either broken parent, the naive teenager filled with love but nobody previously to give it to. a dreamer, yes, but by the end her characterization is left extremely wide open.

(semi-spoiler)

this is also one of the better takes on alcoholism I've seen. drinking is a reliable way to constrict time to the present -- a needed crutch for those who can't stand to see what's behind or in front of them.

a confident, fully realized movie that is one of the year's best.

--------

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Sat Aug-17-13 01:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "really, really good"
In response to Reply # 0

was hard not to feel wrapped up in these characters given how spot-on the acting and writing were for them. In fact the chick behind me kept commenting "oh no, don't do it" everytime Aimee would get a sip of liquor, and it didn't even annoy me that much.
Teller is great, really great in a role that manages to be both showy and understated. Woodley is very good too, and I liked that her relationship to Teller had a destructive edge without being over-the-top. All the side roles were good too, casting was not too shabby (with Winstead and Royo doing the most of their limited screen time). Pretty good cinematography, for some reason I was afraid this would be another instagramey-type indie but it wasn't.
Looking forward to what Ponsoldt has up his sleeve next, hopefully it's not alcohol-related so he doesn't get pigeonholed.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon Aug-19-13 03:49 PM

13. "Agreed. One of the year's best. "
In response to Reply # 0

Pretty much agree with what everyone else has to say. Kyle Chandler did a great job with his role. Teller and Woodley were great and I liked seeing Bubbles and the girl from Justified pop up in a small role.
I thought it was a little too centered on Teller's character and didn't build up everyone else enough. I felt like they tried to get away with it with Woodley's character by having her say that she wasn't a type that she was more than one thing, but then they didn't really give her much besides that she liked comic books and her mom wasn't much of a mom.

Still, a second echelon teen drama that I think works for people of all ages and definitely worth checking out.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Wed Sep-04-13 11:46 AM

14. "Shit was good. Nothing groundbreaking. I don't get all the hype."
In response to Reply # 0

Outside of the direction and the two leads I thought this was okay. To be honest seeing as this is getting raves just goes to show how weak this year's been.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5629 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 08:20 PM

15. "Damn Good Movie.......damn good"
In response to Reply # 0

Sad its not getting more love during this awards season

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #656695 Previous topic | Next topic