Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #656274

Subject: "Insidious: Chapter 2 (James Wan, 2013)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Sun Jul-21-13 01:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Insidious: Chapter 2 (James Wan, 2013)"

Fresh off the heels of the very dope (and unsettling) The Conjuring, James Wan does his first sequel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBbi4NeebAk

The trailer above has sold me. The first falls apart in the last 15 minutes but this installment looks better. In an interview (I think in this one if I remember correctly: http://collider.com/james-wan-the-conjuring-fast-and-furious-7/), he says that the realism of The Conjuring has influenced Chapter 2 a lot as they tried to make this and the first feel as one movie hence Chapter 2. They said they ditched the haunted house feel of the first and made something more vicious this time around.

I really hope this is dope yo.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Double Feature Thursday Spetember 12th *swipe*
Aug 29th 2013
i'd be up for watching the first one again...
Aug 29th 2013
Anyone doing the double feature tonight or just seeing Chapter 2?
Sep 12th 2013
I'm doing the double feature tonight.
Sep 12th 2013
      Word. After spending IMAX money on Riddick last Thursday...
Sep 12th 2013
Better than one. This is NOT fucking with The Conjuring though.
Sep 13th 2013
RE: Better than one. This is NOT fucking with The Conjuring though.
Sep 13th 2013
      RE: Better than one. This is NOT fucking with The Conjuring though.
Sep 14th 2013
Jason Blum interview:
Sep 13th 2013
Leigh Whannell interviews:
Sep 13th 2013
Good looks on the interviews and articles Sanko.
Sep 14th 2013
you're welcome!
Sep 16th 2013
I have mixed feelings on this *probably spoilers*
Sep 16th 2013
better than the 1st, but still didn't make sense in parts (SPOILERS)
Sep 16th 2013

bwood
8614 posts
Thu Aug-29-13 05:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Double Feature Thursday Spetember 12th *swipe*"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=108273

In anticipation of James Wan's (The Conjuring) new horror thriller Insidious: Chapter 2, FilmDistrict announced today that participating theatres nationwide will host "The Ultimate Insidious Experience" – a one-night-only theatrical event giving fans the opportunity to catch the original Insidious playing back-to-back with early access to Insidious: Chapter 2.

"'Insidious: Chapter 2' picks up exactly where the original left off – making a double feature all the more gratifying," said Jim Orr, President of Distribution for FilmDistrict. "As we open the next chapter, this gives 'Insidious' fans the chance to take the edge-of-their-seat thrill ride to the next level.”

"The Ultimate Insidious Experience" starts Thursday, September 12 in select theaters nationwide. Fans will have the option to buy a ticket for the double feature and see both back-to-back or buy a single ticket to the sequel granting them early access to Insidious: Chapter 2 on Thursday, September 12. Check your local theatre listings for participating theatres near you. Tickets can be purchased online or at your local theatre. For a list of participating theatres, visit InsidiousCh2.com.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Thu Aug-29-13 06:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "i'd be up for watching the first one again..."
In response to Reply # 0

but damn the site they send you to is so *NOT* user friendly and i didn't find any link to showing you where the double feature is being shown that night...

I hope it is playing at the theatre near me...

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

bwood
8614 posts
Thu Sep-12-13 09:52 AM

3. "Anyone doing the double feature tonight or just seeing Chapter 2?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm gonna check it out tomorrow morning.

I was gonna do the double feature but nah.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Thu Sep-12-13 12:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I'm doing the double feature tonight."
In response to Reply # 3

I was planning to anyways.

Get Out the Room

bwood
8614 posts
Thu Sep-12-13 12:34 PM

5. "Word. After spending IMAX money on Riddick last Thursday..."
In response to Reply # 4

...I can't do the shit again this week. Even more so seeing as almost every movie coming out on IMAX for the rest I'm seeing minus Ender's Game which I'll peep on normal screens.

bwood
8614 posts
Fri Sep-13-13 11:36 AM

6. "Better than one. This is NOT fucking with The Conjuring though."
In response to Reply # 0

Wan has really developed into a good director. Minus a couple of gripes, I think he builds suspense well here, but to better effect in The Conjuring.

This shit gets really fucked up in the story on the ghosts. Nothing of which I'll spoil here. And also, I thought this got over the top at the end at points, but didn't completely loose itself like the first did.

What I really like is that these two films are different and at the same time they could be played as one long film. The danger, at least to me, was more heightened. It was cool seeing the side characters from the first film coming back and getting bigger parts as well. The Carl character was a nice replacement for Elise, even though Elise comes back in this film in a big way with a very important role.

With all that said, I don't think there's gonna be a part 3, unless they wanna do a spin-off with the paranormal investigators. I sure as hell hope this is it.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Sep-13-13 07:36 PM

7. "RE: Better than one. This is NOT fucking with The Conjuring though."
In response to Reply # 6

>Wan has really developed into a good director. Minus a couple
>of gripes, I think he builds suspense well here, but to better
>effect in The Conjuring.

agreed. *NOTHING* is fucking with The Conjuring this year in regard to horror movies. NOTHING. It's just not. Like, I'm not even sure the Carrie remake is going to be that good (and i'm hearing A LOT of good and bad buzz for the movie...)

but Wan is developing into a great director. But I dig the fact that Jason Blum was behind his getting the FF 7 gig: in an interview, he said he knew the folks behind the Fast and the Furious franchise and sold them on Wan directing and it worked. Blum has a relationship with Universal so that's great.

sidenote: I'll make sure to post up interviews with Jason Blum, Leigh Whannell and Lin Shaye good stuff.

>
>This shit gets really fucked up in the story on the ghosts.
>Nothing of which I'll spoil here. And also, I thought this got
>over the top at the end at points, but didn't completely loose
>itself like the first did.

Agreed. And that "twist" people seem to be talking about, wasn't really that much of a twist at all given that's it telegraphed EARLY in the movie.

>
>What I really like is that these two films are different and
>at the same time they could be played as one long film. The
>danger, at least to me, was more heightened. It was cool
>seeing the side characters from the first film coming back and
>getting bigger parts as well. The Carl character was a nice
>replacement for Elise, even though Elise comes back in this
>film in a big way with a very important role.

TOTALLY. That's why the double feature was so great for me because it did play like one long ass film. if they were to recut both movies as ONE FILM, the story and world in Insidious would be totally expanded.

I liked the further character development for all of the characters, especially Renai, who was so fucking passive and weak in the first movie. To see her further development *AND* to see her be so damn strong and bout it was refreshing. I dug the later scenes with her an Fake Josh. it was great.

>
>With all that said, I don't think there's gonna be a part 3,
>unless they wanna do a spin-off with the paranormal
>investigators. I sure as hell hope this is it.

i bet there will be. the reason why people hated the first movie was because the ending was so abrupt and horrible...like you KNEW they were setting up a franchise.

they did that again with the ending for this one.

it's ridiculous.

i hope they dont make a three. but if they do, the paranormal investigators better be the main characters.

but Leigh Whannell, James Wan and the cast really put in that work for this one and it showed.

It was solid movie....not touching the conjuring but a MARKED IMPROVEMENT over the first movie.

Get Out the Room

bwood
8614 posts
Sat Sep-14-13 10:29 AM

10. "RE: Better than one. This is NOT fucking with The Conjuring though."
In response to Reply # 7

>>Wan has really developed into a good director. Minus a
>couple
>>of gripes, I think he builds suspense well here, but to
>better
>>effect in The Conjuring.
>
>agreed. *NOTHING* is fucking with The Conjuring this year in
>regard to horror movies. NOTHING. It's just not. Like, I'm not
>even sure the Carrie remake is going to be that good (and i'm
>hearing A LOT of good and bad buzz for the movie...)

Ugghhh....

Get out of the room is gonna have to let me know how that is. I have no interset in it at all. Add to the fact that every movie I go see has that damn preview in front of it, I feel worn out by it alrready.

>
>but Wan is developing into a great director. But I dig the
>fact that Jason Blum was behind his getting the FF 7 gig: in
>an interview, he said he knew the folks behind the Fast and
>the Furious franchise and sold them on Wan directing and it
>worked. Blum has a relationship with Universal so that's
>great.

My dude, I can't wait to see what Wan does wit F&F 7. After Insidious, The Conjuring, and Chapter 2 this guy's direction has remarkably improved even if he regressed slightly going from The Conjuring to Chapter 2.

Niggas is still gonna be mad that Justin Lin ain't doing it. And while I feel like they are rushing this shit, marinating on it I think it was a good idea to switch directors cause I don't know how much more retarted you can make F&F after 6 that can top that shit.

>
>sidenote: I'll make sure to post up interviews with Jason
>Blum, Leigh Whannell and Lin Shaye good stuff.
>
>>
>>This shit gets really fucked up in the story on the ghosts.
>>Nothing of which I'll spoil here. And also, I thought this
>got
>>over the top at the end at points, but didn't completely
>loose
>>itself like the first did.
>
>Agreed. And that "twist" people seem to be talking about,
>wasn't really that much of a twist at all given that's it
>telegraphed EARLY in the movie.
>
>>
>>What I really like is that these two films are different and
>>at the same time they could be played as one long film. The
>>danger, at least to me, was more heightened. It was cool
>>seeing the side characters from the first film coming back
>and
>>getting bigger parts as well. The Carl character was a nice
>>replacement for Elise, even though Elise comes back in this
>>film in a big way with a very important role.
>
>TOTALLY. That's why the double feature was so great for me
>because it did play like one long ass film. if they were to
>recut both movies as ONE FILM, the story and world in
>Insidious would be totally expanded.

Dawg. I regret not doing the double feature cause I did need a refresher and my local Redbox was sold out...

>
>I liked the further character development for all of the
>characters, especially Renai, who was so fucking passive and
>weak in the first movie. To see her further development *AND*
>to see her be so damn strong and bout it was refreshing. I dug
>the later scenes with her an Fake Josh. it was great.
>
>>
>>With all that said, I don't think there's gonna be a part 3,
>>unless they wanna do a spin-off with the paranormal
>>investigators. I sure as hell hope this is it.
>
>i bet there will be. the reason why people hated the first
>movie was because the ending was so abrupt and horrible...like
>you KNEW they were setting up a franchise.
>
>they did that again with the ending for this one.
>
>it's ridiculous.
>
>i hope they dont make a three. but if they do, the paranormal
>investigators better be the main characters.

That's Leigh Whannell's problem. This nigga can't write a movie without that twist and/or cliffhanger ending.

I agree that there will be a Chapter 3, but it will probably be a spin-off and it SHOULD be called something else.

>
>but Leigh Whannell, James Wan and the cast really put in that
>work for this one and it showed.
>
>It was solid movie....not touching the conjuring but a MARKED
>IMPROVEMENT over the first movie.
>
>
>

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Sep-13-13 07:38 PM

8. "Jason Blum interview:"
In response to Reply # 0

Great article and interview with Blum plus video:

http://screenrant.com/insidious-2-interview-jason-blum-amityville-lost-tapes/?fb_action_ids=10151874913141967&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=&action_type_map=&action_ref_map=[]

Even though Insidious opened to the tune of $13.3 million back in April of 2011 on a mere $1.5 million production budget, producer Jason Blum didn’t consider the film a hit until it defied the odds and evaded the familiar horror genre weekend #2 box office crash. Even more impressive: after dipping just 29.4% making the move through weekend two, Insidious continued to play exceptionally well – so well in fact that the film spent 23 weekends in theaters and wrapped its worldwide theatrical run with nearly $100 million in the bank. Clearly that success warranted sequel talk.

Insidious came out in April 2011, but the Insidious Chapter 2 treatment didn’t arrive until nearly a year later. And, even more striking, after finally getting the go-ahead in November 2012, it then zipped through pre-production, production, and was totally finished by June of 2013. While at the Insidious Chapter 2 press day in New York City, Blum recalled the reasoning behind the rapid production timeline:

“We started talking about Insidious 2 pretty soon after Insidious 1… As long as there was a chance that James and Leigh were gonna write the second movie and direct the second movie, I didn’t want to do it with someone else, and they kept saying they might do it, they might not do it, which was why there’s quite a bit of time between the two movies.

When they finally decided they wanted to do it, then it did go very quickly, and we were working on trying to make it work with James’ schedule with The Conjuring … It was a very tough needle to thread, but we threaded it. We basically green lit it off a long treatment.â€

Insidious Chapter 2 Set ‘Insidious Chapter 2’ Producer Talks Micro Budget Horror & Amityville: Lost Tapes

While Insidious Chapter 2 did come with a higher price tag than the original, the film’s budget is still strikingly minimal compared to the typical Hollywood horror sequel – and that’s a standard Blum is adamant about upholding. Somewhat ironically, he insists on keeping his budgets below a certain level so he can give his filmmakers the chance to do whatever they want:

“If the sequel of The Purge gets green lit or the sequel of Sinister gets green lit, those will be very low budget movies for all the same reasons that the originals are low budget. I can’t say to James and Leigh, do whatever you want, if the movie cost $20 million. Then, there’s a lot more people involved, understandably. The only way I get to say, ‘You can make a sequel, but it can be whatever you want it to be,’ is if the movie’s very inexpensive.â€

But before The Purge 2 and Sinister 2 get that same treatment, Blumhouse has plans to see a few other projects through production. Even though The Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes is not one of the ones moving forward before the year’s end, Blum did confirm that his company is actively developing it and that, even though we’ve seen the story time and time again, should it get that coveted green light, the film will exceed our expectations:

“One of the reasons it’s taking as long as it is, is because I don’t want to make an Amityville movie unless – the fun thing about making the Amityville movie is that everyone’s like, ‘Ugh! This is gonna suck,’ right? So you gotta make something that surprises them … The reason I like making sequels is because people come and see them like , ‘Ugh, it’s gonna suck.’ it’s like, ‘Wow. This is good!’ Like, the Paranormal movies, hopefully most of them, the sequels stand up on their own. I think Insidious does that, too. It’s like, people will be pleasantly surprised. And Amityville, I can promise, if we make it, which we’re not doing yet but we’re developing it, it’s gonna feel very different.â€

You know the best part about anticipating The Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes, Sinister 2, The Purge 2, or any other project Blum has in the works? Since Insidious, Blum has delivered a steady stream of horror movies and looks to continue to do so, meaning we never really have to wait for our next horror move fix.

You can check out our full chat with Blum in the video interview below

Get Out the Room

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Sep-13-13 07:45 PM

9. "Leigh Whannell interviews:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.studiosystemnews.com/spotlight-insidious-2-writer-leigh-whannell-on-sequels-the-shining-being-afraid-of-the-dark/

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thematthewaaronshow/2013/09/11/leigh-whannell-lin-shaye-matthew-aaron-show-91113

the second one is hilarious as hell.

Get Out the Room

bwood
8614 posts
Sat Sep-14-13 10:30 AM

11. "Good looks on the interviews and articles Sanko."
In response to Reply # 0

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Mon Sep-16-13 12:41 AM

12. "you're welcome!"
In response to Reply # 11

Get Out the Room

crow
Member since Feb 23rd 2005
4034 posts
Mon Sep-16-13 01:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "I have mixed feelings on this *probably spoilers*"
In response to Reply # 0

I loved the first Insidious until Darth Maul showed up. Besides that the movie was great.

This movie had two distinct plot lines tied into one and I loved one but felt meh about the other.

The dad there possessed story just felt done before. Yeah, I know it isn't really possession but still. Guy gets possessed, must kill family. That was boring to me.

The investigators whole part was awesome though. I loved the dice and I loved all the places they went. I hate handheld cameras tho but that is more because I get nauseous.

It was good but felt uneven to me. Still recommend for my horror fans.

*Note to self: Add Sig*

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Sep-16-13 04:41 PM

14. "better than the 1st, but still didn't make sense in parts (SPOILERS)"
In response to Reply # 0

It was good, a decent follow up.

BUT

So the father was possessed by the son of the crazy lady, right?

He was a killer too, but just wanted to live a normal life inside of o' boy's body?

Then the way that they got him out of the body didn't make much sense.

I enjoyed it, but it seemed like they were stretching the story thin. I think it was better when it was just a simple story of a crazy ghost lady trying to possess people to get back into the land of the living...

Everyone's right, the two paranormal investigator guys were the best part of the movie (along with their deceased "leader" guide). A movie just about them would be way better. But I feel like the cliffhanger at the end of 2 is preparing us to have the family tied back in somehow. My guess is that the old dude didn't come back with Patrick Wilson and his kid, and another spirit took over his body...

Anyhow, overall good. I'm sick and tired of the whole grim "everyone dies, evil wins and no one ever stood a chance" tone that a lot of bigger horror movies have now. It's just not entertaining to me--the hopelessness of it doesn't make for an enjoyable watch. I'm glad this one went off in a different direction.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #656274 Previous topic | Next topic