Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #654421

Subject: "The Heat (Feig, 2013)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8613 posts
Tue Jun-25-13 11:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Heat (Feig, 2013)"
Tue Jun-25-13 11:21 PM by bwood

It's after midnight here on tha East Coast and I'm still coming down from this movie.

The trailers really did nothing for me and I wasn't expecting anything so maybe that's why I'm so surprised at how good this was (But I wasn't expecting much from most shit this summer so...).

Seriously this shit is hysterical and surprising gruesome at times. Bullock and McCarty just have that chemistry that pops. Shit really reminded me of 48 Hours and other action comedies from the 80s (the opening credits also helped). This is the best film Marlon Waynes has done in a minute.

I was surprised also, no matter how routine it was, that these characters were better fleshed out than most of the movies this summer, and at how many times fuck was said. I mean shit they fuck more than I do, and I say fuck alot.

But yea me and my boy were really taken aback about how consistently funny this shit is. I really hope this shit make a grip at the B.O. and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a sequel.

*EDIT* Fox was wise to move this from April to June. Shit is definitely a summer movie.

*2nd EDIT* The soundtrack was super dope for this movie.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Fox has already paid Katie Dippold to start writing a sequel nm
Jun 26th 2013
And there it is...
Jun 26th 2013
This was really funny
Jun 26th 2013
After that first red band trailer, I bet the house on HSX.
Jun 26th 2013
you in a league over on HSX?
Jun 28th 2013
Funny enough and likable. Also too long.
Jun 29th 2013
Funny in spots but thought it tried too hard
Jul 01st 2013
Better than I expected.
Jul 01st 2013
This is Cop Out but with funny actors
Jul 06th 2013
RE: Grade B
Jul 27th 2013
it has???
Aug 17th 2013
this shit was wildly unfunny to me
Dec 27th 2013

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Wed Jun-26-13 01:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Fox has already paid Katie Dippold to start writing a sequel nm"
In response to Reply # 0

______________________________________________________________________________________
Im not posting in PTP

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8613 posts
Wed Jun-26-13 06:54 AM

2. "And there it is..."
In response to Reply # 1

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Wed Jun-26-13 07:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "This was really funny"
In response to Reply # 0

go see this

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Wed Jun-26-13 03:05 PM

4. "After that first red band trailer, I bet the house on HSX."
In response to Reply # 0

I knew this fucker would:
a) be funny
b) make stacks

Can't wait.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Fri Jun-28-13 01:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "you in a league over on HSX?"
In response to Reply # 4

didn't know if anyone over here played that

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Sat Jun-29-13 03:07 PM

6. "Funny enough and likable. Also too long."
In response to Reply # 0

I was in the minority that thought Bridesmaids was cluttered and overstuffed too, so maybe don't take my word for it.

Still, great to see a funny comedy about women written by women today. It'll obviously be a big hit too. McCarthy continues to be so awesome, and Bullock provides the ideally stiff counterpoint.

Totally superficial side note: a bit saddened that Bullock looked in places here a bit waxy, like the work had been recently done.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Mon Jul-01-13 01:34 AM

7. "Funny in spots but thought it tried too hard"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought Sandra was okay but the moment she started saying lines of dialogue without cussing you knew it was only a matter of time before the "reckless but with integrity"-filled spirit of Melissa McCarthy would rub off on her and she'd be saying cusswords in no time.

And Melissa was one-note; about 95% of her laughs consisted of her saying a variation on the word "fuck" and combining "fuck" with some kind of violent threat, ie "If you run I'm going to fuckin' turn you around and fuckin' shove my fuckin' foot up your fuckin' ass"

*hold for laughs*

A big part of what makes Melissa appealing to me as a comedy actress is what she does with physical comedy, and there wasn't much of that here, just the bit where she crawls through the cop car from her squeezed in car and the other bit where she chases a perp and they both flip over a fence. Oh, and the scene in the bathroom where she's stripping Sandra Bullock down so she'd better fit in the club. The dance in the bar wasn't funny.

I also was hoping for some new spin on the buddy cop trope other than, "Hey here's two women in law enforcement! One's straitlaced and arrogant! The other's vulgar but dutiful and gets results! Peep the comedy when they CLASH and have to work together to solve crime!" The whole thing just felt... overwritten and overworked.

There were some funny one-liners, though. And McCarthy's family (Michael Rapaport! Bill Burr! Jane Curtin! Joey "NKOTB" McIntyre!) was pretty funny. But overall it was eh to me.

I can see why this is a hit, though. No diss.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Im not posting in PTP

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6737 posts
Mon Jul-01-13 11:25 AM

8. "Better than I expected."
In response to Reply # 0

Better than Identity Thief. Most of the criticisms are valid (too long, lots of variations on the same jokes), but still adds up to a consistently funny movie. McCarthy is super talented. A lot of her best moments come across as improvised.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Sat Jul-06-13 02:31 AM

9. "This is Cop Out but with funny actors"
In response to Reply # 0

But things seemed off.

I LOVE Feig, but this one rested almost entirely on MM's shoulders. Bullock was occasionally good - but everything else was pretty generic.

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Sat Jul-27-13 05:32 PM

10. "RE: Grade B"
In response to Reply # 0

I hope next time around they make the leads less over the top. I loved the last scene about the cat. lol.
Who knew this would be the comedy of the summer. The Heat has made more $$$$$ than Hangover 3.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sat Aug-17-13 08:34 PM

11. "it has???"
In response to Reply # 10

>Who knew this would be the comedy of the summer. The Heat has
>made more $$$$$ than Hangover 3.

I actually felt like I was watching Miss Congeniality 3 at points....not a bad movie, just nothing special......

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

bleekgilliam_420
Charter member
7357 posts
Fri Dec-27-13 07:03 AM

12. "this shit was wildly unfunny to me"
In response to Reply # 0

it was so bad that one point i thought about stopping in the middle of the movie and just returning it to netflix. i tried to ride it out and still feel asleep on it towards the end. im not going back to see it.

---------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/malael

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #654421 Previous topic | Next topic