Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #652107

Subject: "Prisoners (Villenueve, 2013)" Previous topic | Next topic
SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri May-31-13 01:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Prisoners (Villenueve, 2013)"
Wed Sep-18-13 03:38 PM by ZooTown74

Damn...it took this movie forever to come out and I'm glad it finally is in September.

Basic Logline: A Boston man kidnaps the person he suspects is behind the disappearance of his young daughter and her best friend.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392214/?ref_=sr_1 imdb page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpXfcTF6iVk Trailer 1

I'm in...Jackman, Davis, Leo, Dano, Gyllenhaal and Bello (who, quiet as its kept *STAYS* putting in quality work on both screens) all in the same movie? WIN

Howard: well, I think he needs a nice career renaissance and general rehab...

but the script is a great read too.

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
My group saw this this morning. Looking forward to peeping it Saturday
Sep 18th 2013
2:23
Sep 18th 2013
My bad. Didn't recall ever seeing a post for this & forgot to search.
Sep 18th 2013
RE: My bad. Didn't recall ever seeing a post for this & forgot to search...
Sep 20th 2013
      I like the screenplay/movie overall alot more after it set in a few days...
Sep 20th 2013
           RE: I like the screenplay/movie overall alot more after it set in a few ...
Sep 20th 2013
           Found this article that sheds a little more light on the delay (swipe)
Sep 20th 2013
           Yeah, I'm gonna have to revisit...
Sep 20th 2013
Paul Dano sleeper pick for 'Best Supporting'
Sep 20th 2013
Him & Jake might have a shot...Hugh too come to think about it
Sep 20th 2013
Totally agree...I thought all of the performances were dead on
Sep 20th 2013
Jeah Jake's starting to grow on me now after this one...he killed it
Sep 20th 2013
      He was really solid in 'End of Watch' too.
Sep 20th 2013
Save maybe DEAKINS, no chance this gets any noms.
Sep 21st 2013
Lol, what??
Sep 22nd 2013
      Playing someone with the intelligence of a 10 year old....
Sep 22nd 2013
           Agree to disagree
Sep 22nd 2013
                No doubt, fam
Sep 22nd 2013
Incredibly tense movie with enough puzzle pieces to keep you guessing
Sep 21st 2013
RE: Incredibly tense movie with enough puzzle pieces to keep you guessin...
Sep 21st 2013
RE: Incredibly tense movie with enough puzzle pieces to keep you guessin...
Sep 21st 2013
***SPOILER***
Sep 21st 2013
I was wondering the same. I can't figure that one for anything.
Sep 21st 2013
That plot point was too big to not be explained...
Sep 21st 2013
      I thought they showed it in a quick flashback
Sep 21st 2013
           I thought that was a pretty damn big stretch.
Sep 21st 2013
                melissa leo's character did say "shoulda left them in that hole"
Sep 30th 2013
                     the flashbacks and holly jones' admission...
Oct 05th 2013
RE: ***SPOILER***
Sep 22nd 2013
long and good
Sep 21st 2013
bob
Sep 21st 2013
RE: bob
Sep 22nd 2013
leo (holly) said she had abducted him too, but he got away i guess
Sep 30th 2013
loved the ending, and the grimness throughout
Sep 21st 2013
gyllenhall is really good, just watched love and other drugs
Sep 30th 2013
Dark, bleak, and heavy. More movies need to be like this. Adult and
Sep 21st 2013
^^^^
Sep 30th 2013
Movie's fine. All hail God DEAKINS. One spoiler question:
Sep 21st 2013
RE: Movie's fine. All hail God DEAKINS. One spoiler question:
Sep 21st 2013
      lol, yes, I know THAT.
Sep 21st 2013
           RE: lol, yes, I know THAT.
Sep 22nd 2013
solid ass movie that's only getting notice because of
Sep 21st 2013
BTW, this is the type of movie that the more you think about...
Sep 21st 2013
Um....
Sep 22nd 2013
Response:
Sep 22nd 2013
RE: Response:
Sep 22nd 2013
      I touched on this elsewhere.
Sep 22nd 2013
      All of the characters were statues
Sep 22nd 2013
           Gyllenhaal was my favorite too.
Sep 23rd 2013
           No they weren't
Sep 23rd 2013
      Ambiguity and the Worst Cops of the Year
Dec 09th 2013
agreed
Sep 22nd 2013
I thought it had a lot going for it.
Sep 22nd 2013
Interesting thoughts. Thanks for sharing.
Sep 22nd 2013
But wait, there's more.
Sep 22nd 2013
excellent synopsis
Sep 22nd 2013
RE: BTW, this is the type of movie that the more you think about...
Sep 22nd 2013
lol, no, I understand that these things are *there*.
Sep 22nd 2013
RE: BTW, this is the type of movie that the more you think about...
Sep 25th 2013
At the end of the day this movie is silly with 0 payoff
Sep 22nd 2013
And just to clarify, when I say payoff, I don't mean everything needs
Sep 22nd 2013
      That's true...
Sep 22nd 2013
      RE: And just to clarify, when I say payoff, I don't mean everything need...
Sep 23rd 2013
      SPOILER
Sep 27th 2013
           I mean....
Sep 27th 2013
                i really think it was psychological more than plot point
Sep 27th 2013
                     bingo
Sep 27th 2013
the one to beat this year
Sep 22nd 2013
Can someone tell me what drew the detective to the priest's house
Sep 22nd 2013
He was investigating sex offenders within a 10 mile radius...
Sep 22nd 2013
Ok thanks
Sep 22nd 2013
*** spoiler *****
Sep 22nd 2013
      ty
Sep 22nd 2013
This shit sucked.
Sep 23rd 2013
RE: damn this had a LOT of potential
Sep 25th 2013
agree 100%, very similar to Mystic River, just not as good
Sep 26th 2013
My problem with Mystic River...
Sep 26th 2013
Reminded me more of Zodiac than Mystic River
Sep 26th 2013
      RE: Reminded me more of Zodiac than Mystic River
Sep 26th 2013
           Like Frank, I hardly recall anything specific about Mystic River
Sep 27th 2013
One thing I didn't get (spoiler)
Sep 28th 2013
Keller was grilling her about the location & she helped him fio
Sep 28th 2013
over.....fucking......rated
Sep 29th 2013
you serious?
Sep 30th 2013
      its overrated due to these exaggerated praises.
Oct 01st 2013
This movie was Disjointed and Awful. The Ending SUCKED!
Oct 01st 2013
Howard has been on autopilot for a while now.
Oct 01st 2013
      They could've & then you could've read similar complaints
Oct 01st 2013
           precisely my point,
Oct 02nd 2013
                The role really didn't call for much but I thought he played it perfect
Oct 02nd 2013
ambivalent...
Oct 05th 2013
I thought it was awesome
Oct 06th 2013
Mystic Vanishing
Dec 09th 2013
Good film but--
Dec 25th 2013
it was good
Jul 21st 2014
really enjoyed this, I was sleepin' on it
Jul 21st 2014

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Wed Sep-18-13 12:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "My group saw this this morning. Looking forward to peeping it Saturday"
In response to Reply # 0

morning.

I heard the shit is damn near three hours so, that'll be most of my Saturday morning.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Wed Sep-18-13 03:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "2:23"
In response to Reply # 1

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
But Zootown, black people and media, so...

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Sep-18-13 04:58 PM

3. "My bad. Didn't recall ever seeing a post for this & forgot to search."
In response to Reply # 0

Guess I'll add that I think it takes place in either Pennsylvania or Georgia insteada Boston for what it's worth

& a shot out to Deakins for doin the damn thing w/ the lens again

Dark, doom, gloom but damn does Hugh put his foot in this

Matter fact...this man put his ankle in it, so much that I'm sure there'll be claims of overacting in a scene or few

Remember the hubbub bout Joaquin Phoenix tearin that toilet up in The Master? I almost had to turn away when Wolvy starts fuckin the faucet up.

Jake G's in Zodiac mode again for fans of that

Viola Davis, Maria Bello, & Terrence Howard don't have a ton of screen time but they all steal a scene or three

Paul Dano, Melissa Leo, & Wayne(oh that guy)Duvall are a little more involved & on their A game

Not for the faint of heart but this was a polarizing look into some somber territory. Drags a bit @ 2.5+ hours but there were enough twists & turns along the way to keep me guessing & intrigued.

Was a little worried knowing the screenwriter from Contraband did the script, but whenever it slipped the direction made up for it. Solid score & cinematography with some strange comic relief at times. Gotta kick outta gravediggers bumpin Radiohead on a boombox while they worked.

*Possible mini spoiler*

If you didn't like the ending for Inception or The Grey...you might wanna stay away

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Sep-20-13 03:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "RE: My bad. Didn't recall ever seeing a post for this & forgot to search..."
In response to Reply # 3

>
>Was a little worried knowing the screenwriter from Contraband
>did the script, but whenever it slipped the direction made up
>for it. Solid score & cinematography with some strange comic
>relief at times. Gotta kick outta gravediggers bumpin
>Radiohead on a boombox while they worked.

nah Guzikowski is the real deal and this was written *BEFORE* Contraband.

It took nearly 6-7 years for this to come to screen.

In the interim, he wrote Contraband. And also, remember, once Contraband went into production, he probably had a limited role and whatever choices were made to the script, i'd look at the director.

Aaron created and is showrunning the Sundance Channel's next drama The Red Road (formerly titled The Descendants). He wrote a solid ass pilot for this series.

He's a talented writer.
>
>
>
>
>*Possible mini spoiler*
>
>
>
>
>
>If you didn't like the ending for Inception or The Grey...you
>might wanna stay away
>
>

Get Out the Room

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Sep-20-13 11:44 AM

6. "I like the screenplay/movie overall alot more after it set in a few days..."
In response to Reply # 5
Fri Sep-20-13 11:45 AM by jigga

Left me kinda numb afterwards initially. There's still a couple scenes/characters I'm sorta confused about, but I might see it again to clear things up a bit.

Do you know why it took so long for this to come out?

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Sep-20-13 01:01 PM

8. "RE: I like the screenplay/movie overall alot more after it set in a few ..."
In response to Reply # 6

>Left me kinda numb afterwards initially. There's still a
>couple scenes/characters I'm sorta confused about, but I might
>see it again to clear things up a bit.
>
>Do you know why it took so long for this to come out?
>
>

there were many reasons:

people who attached themselves (at one point, it was Bale, Wahlberg, DiCaprio, etc.) then dropped out...

funding came and went...

lots of reasons.

But, after nearly 7 years, it's out (Guzikowski apparently wrote this in 2006, I believe)

Get Out the Room

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Sep-20-13 03:01 PM

12. "Found this article that sheds a little more light on the delay (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 8

Interested in that other one you have as well though so I sent you my email

>there were many reasons:
>
>people who attached themselves (at one point, it was Bale,
>Wahlberg, DiCaprio, etc.) then dropped out...
>
>funding came and went...
>
>lots of reasons.
>
>But, after nearly 7 years, it's out (Guzikowski apparently
>wrote this in 2006, I believe)

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/prisoners-screenwriter-hugh-jackman-jake-gyllenhaal-thriller-twisted-141706819.html

‘Prisoners’ Screenwriter on the Hugh Jackman-Jake Gyllenhaal Thriller’s Twisted Road to Theaters.

When Aaron Guzikowski’s “Prisoners” script was first sent around Hollywood, the most common complaint from agents was the project’s lack of commercial viability. A bleak kidnapping thriller is a tough sell to studios, especially one without a neat little bow wrapped around the ending.

But by 2009, Guzikowski’s dream began to come true: Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale attached themselves to star, while Bryan Singer circled the director’s chair. However, months later, the heat had cooled, and though the script was voted to the Black List, the project still hadn’t sold and Guzikowski continued working his day job stuffing envelopes at a New York advertising firm.

Then he got The Call, the one every writer dreams of getting. Alcon Entertainment bought the script sans talent attachments. “Prisoners” was finally happening. As his manager, Adam Kolbrenner of Madhouse Entertainment, recalled in a recent blog post, Alcon founders Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosovo called with producer Kira Davis and told him “this episode of ‘Entourage’ will come to an end now.”

Director Antoine Fuqua came and went, as did superstar Leonardo DiCaprio, who was attached for about six months before bowing out. The project gained new momentum once French-Canadian director Denis Villeneuve came on board following an Oscar nomination for his movie “Incendies.”

With Villeneuve committed, an all-star cast and crew of past Oscar winners and nominees lined up en masse. Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal signed on to play the two leads, bolstered by a supporting cast that includes Terrence Howard, Viola Davis, Maria Bello, Melissa Leo and Paul Dano as the primary suspect in the disappearance of two young girls. Editor Joel Cox and cinematographer Roger Deakins, who has been nominated for 10 Oscars, highlight the below-the-line talent.

Warner Bros. will finally release “Prisoners” on Friday, and Guzikowski spoke with TheWrap in advance of its opening.

TheWrap: I found the film to be gripping and haunting … where did the idea originate from?

Aaron Guzikowski: I set out to write something scary and thrilling, and what scares me most is not being able to find something you deeply love or need to survive, as well as the feeling of being lost. Then I used those fears to motivate a dramatic thriller that is occasionally a horror movie. “Silence of the Lambs” and “Se7en” are two of my touchstones as far as being amazing thrillers. It was a lofty goal I always had in terms of trying to construct something character-driven with big surprises. It started to evolve as I worked on it.

What was the biggest challenge for you in writing the script?

Constantly putting myself in the mindset of these parents. I didn’t have kids back then. I had to put myself in Keller’s mindset or one of the others parents and try to process what that experience is like and what decisions they’d make. The plotting was difficult in a different sort of way, and the writing was sort of like a maze unto itself. I tried not to overtly plot the whole thing out, because I wanted to see where each character went.

Were you ever worried that because of the nature of the material, it would never get made?

The whole time I was writing it, I was convinced it was too dark and would never get bought, let alone get made. It still had to have a soul, but that’s what the story was. Alcon was always great about that. They didn’t try to make it something it wasn’t. Everyone embraced that it was gonna be a tightening-of-the-noose kind of movie. I was convinced, as much as I loved it, that it was so dark there was no way in hell it was going to get made as a studio movie.

How did the script change over the course of the development process?

Originally, the story was more focused on Keller. The detective character was in the story but it was a much smaller part. As I developed the script, it evolved and the movie became more of a two-hander.

The movie runs 2.5 hours, but is there anything from the script that didn’t make the final cut? I heard there was more with Dylan Minnette’s character, who is introduced hunting deer with his father (Jackman).

There were scenes we had to lose. There was more stuff with the two older kids. It wasn’t so much that Keller’s son (Minette) shot a gun later, but in the original script, the two older kids are actually the ones who find Paul Dano at the end, because they’re trying to get away from their parents and crumbling home life. There just wasn’t time for it all.

I understand Jake Gyllenhaal came up with a whole backstory for his character. Can you talk about that?

He did. Detective Loki grew up in a boys home and didn’t really have a family. He’s a prisoner of his own past with his own demons, and I wanted to create an air of mystery about him so the audience would question what his motivations are. We don’t see where he lives because I wanted to keep his origins mysterious. But Jake came up with the idea of the tattoos and the freemason ring and the facial tics. All of that further accentuated that mysteriousness, where you’re never quite sure what his story is. You get a good sense of him as a person but the question always lingers.

What about Paul Dano, who is so creepy in this role, and yet he barely says anything?

Dano doesn’t get to talk much, it’s more in his mannerisms and aura. He did an amazing job. On the page, it doesn’t seem like there’s a lot to work with, but he brought it to life and gave him a soul and a life. All of the actors did an amazing job. When they locked down the cast it was incredible.

How do you interpret the ending?

I like keeping the end ambiguous for myself. We flirted with extending that scene to give audiences more closure but I like a little bit of mystery. In most movies, everything needs to be tidily wrapped up and I like that you’re not quite sure at the end of this one, even if you assume that hears what he hears.

What about the character names? Any symbolism there?

The sound of them conjures up ideas and concepts. The girls are named Joy (Kyle Drew Simmons) and Grace (Bello), so there’s an obvious interpretation of that, but I didn’t set out to design a metaphorical meaning to it all. I just like the pentameter of certain names, and how there’s a lyrical quality to how they sound. They feel like they fit the characters. I was aware of the symbolic nature but I wouldn’t say there’s a real design to it.

What were some of your inspirations for this movie?

“Silence of the Lambs” was a huge influence. I’m also influenced by high-end horror movies like “The Exorcist” and thrillers like “Se7en” and “The Sixth Sense.” Kidnapping is part of the story but I never looked at “Prisoners” as a kidnapping movie like “Ransom.” It’s about the parents and what they’re driven to as a result of it.

I’m sure you’ll be offered a lot of high-profile studio assignments after this. Any idea what’s next for you?

Right now I’m swallowed up by the process of this TV show (“The Red Road”) which will air in February (on the Sundance Channel). There’s a lot of things I’d love to do, but I want to do another original. I like making stuff up from scratch.

The movie got some great reviews at the Toronto International Film Festival. How was that experience?

I had never experienced anything quite like that. All the craziness that goes on festival-wise was exciting. I had a ton of fun being there with Denis and the cast.

Any final thoughts?

I’m just so pleased with Denis’ work. He made a great piece of art with this movie.

ODotSoHot
Member since Apr 02nd 2013
1171 posts
Fri Sep-20-13 01:55 PM

10. "Yeah, I'm gonna have to revisit..."
In response to Reply # 6

Some of the storylines/characters weren't all that clear to me on the first go 'round.

ODotSoHot
1171 posts
Fri Sep-20-13 01:23 AM

4. "Paul Dano sleeper pick for 'Best Supporting'"
In response to Reply # 0

Really good flick.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Sep-20-13 11:49 AM

7. "Him & Jake might have a shot...Hugh too come to think about it"
In response to Reply # 4

Best performance I've seen from him since The Prestige

Subject matter worries me a bit tho

ODotSoHot
1171 posts
Fri Sep-20-13 01:54 PM

9. "Totally agree...I thought all of the performances were dead on"
In response to Reply # 7

Jake Gyllenhal was great...I think I'm quietly becoming a fan of dude's. He was incredibly nuanced throughout.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Sep-20-13 02:51 PM

11. "Jeah Jake's starting to grow on me now after this one...he killed it "
In response to Reply # 9

>Jake Gyllenhal was great...I think I'm quietly becoming a fan
>of dude's. He was incredibly nuanced throughout.

I really liked his first scene in the diner talking to the waitress

The opening scene w/ Hugh & his son was well done too

I've never not liked Jake. He's always been solid. But I'm starting to take notice now too. Gonna make it a point to see End of Watch soon since I haven't gotten around to that yet.

ODotSoHot
1171 posts
Fri Sep-20-13 03:23 PM

13. "He was really solid in 'End of Watch' too."
In response to Reply # 11

He had great chemistry with Michael Pena.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 06:45 PM

24. "Save maybe DEAKINS, no chance this gets any noms."
In response to Reply # 7

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 12:19 AM

32. "Lol, what??"
In response to Reply # 4

I don't understand this at all, all he did was get beat up.

ODotSoHot
1171 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 06:03 PM

42. "Playing someone with the intelligence of a 10 year old...."
In response to Reply # 32

...is incredibly difficult to do. A lesser actor would have made a lot of easy choices here, but Dano actually respected the character and opted for a more mature/nuanced approach. I thought he showed great restraint when necessary, maintained the characters' integrity, and committed wholly to the part without going 'full retard'. If the film gets award season buzz, I wouldn't be surprised or upset to see Dano's name thrown in the ring.

Deebot
26762 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 09:29 PM

49. "Agree to disagree"
In response to Reply # 42

it's all good. He shouldn't, and won't, sniff a nomination for this role.

ODotSoHot
1171 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 09:58 PM

53. "No doubt, fam"
In response to Reply # 49

I ain't mad at you.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 01:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Incredibly tense movie with enough puzzle pieces to keep you guessing"
In response to Reply # 0

I figured out some things fairly easily, but there were enough pieces in play until the very end that couldn't be 100% sure. Hugh and Jake delivered performances that are, right today, set firmly within the top tier of their career. I dunno who the actors playing Alex or Bob were, but they were both superb and I'm gonna look them up. I also liked that it didn't turn out to be torture porn dressed up with an Oscar sheen, which is something I feared.

Viola Davis was great for what she was given, as was Bello.

I do have a few minor gripes.

I don't see why Terrence Howard was even cast though, and all we got from him was tears and whiny Terrence-isms.

I feel like Loki took too long to make a connection that was painfully obvious the whole time.

The whole maze thing was never really explained, at least from what I saw. It was made to be too big a presence to be something that wound up having little significance overall.

I don't like the way Keller decided to approach Holly in the end. I'm not big on questioning poor character choices, but lately I've seen a few things that irked me. At that point, he had absolute certainty that his daughter had been there at some point. As a father, I can't imagine the need for some bullshit preamble with my back turned. I'm pulling out the piece the second she opens the door and putting that shit in her face, and subjecting her to the same horrors I visited upon Alex.

I'm not a fan of it ending like

SPOILER ALERT

A certain Liam Neeson movie.

There was too much tension in this movie for an ending like that. I needed a resolution to that particular characters story. I found myself particularly invested in seeing that reunion and I was disappointed that I didn't get to see it or at least get confirmation as to where things stood in the end. I could live with him being arrested, or even dead.

I dunno, to me that shit was like fucking and building toward an incredible orgasm only to ejaculate without the actual orgasm.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 02:39 PM

19. "RE: Incredibly tense movie with enough puzzle pieces to keep you guessin..."
In response to Reply # 14

>I figured out some things fairly easily, but there were
>enough pieces in play until the very end that couldn't be 100%
>sure. Hugh and Jake delivered performances that are, right
>today, set firmly within the top tier of their career. I dunno
>who the actors playing Alex or Bob were, but they were both
>superb and I'm gonna look them up.

Paul Dano played Alex. Might remember him from There Will be Blood, Looper &/or Little Miss Sunshine. David Dastmalchian played Bob & I had only seen him in a few commercials & as the fake cop who shot Gordon in The Dark Knight.

I also liked that it didn't
>turn out to be torture porn dressed up with an Oscar sheen,
>which is something I feared.

Yeah that would've sucked. I was worried it was about to go there when Hugh got the hammer.

>Viola Davis was great for what she was given, as was Bello.

yep yep

>I do have a few minor gripes.
>
>I don't see why Terrence Howard was even cast though, and all
>we got from him was tears and whiny Terrence-isms.

Not sure if this was intentional comic relief but the look on his face when Viola shows up @ Hugh's door w/ him was priceless

>I feel like Loki took too long to make a connection that was
>painfully obvious the whole time.

which one?

>The whole maze thing was never really explained, at least from
>what I saw. It was made to be too big a presence to be
>something that wound up having little significance overall.

Red herring

>I don't like the way Keller decided to approach Holly in the
>end. I'm not big on questioning poor character choices, but
>lately I've seen a few things that irked me. At that point, he
>had absolute certainty that his daughter had been there at
>some point. As a father, I can't imagine the need for some
>bullshit preamble with my back turned. I'm pulling out the
>piece the second she opens the door and putting that shit in
>her face, and subjecting her to the same horrors I visited
>upon Alex.

One of the other comedic relief moments I'm not sure was intended but still worked for me. Maybe he didn't know that she was in on it yet.

>I'm not a fan of it ending like
>
>SPOILER ALERT
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>A certain Liam Neeson movie.
>
>There was too much tension in this movie for an ending like
>that. I needed a resolution to that particular characters
>story. I found myself particularly invested in seeing that
>reunion and I was disappointed that I didn't get to see it or
>at least get confirmation as to where things stood in the end.
>I could live with him being arrested, or even dead.
>
>I dunno, to me that shit was like fucking and building toward
>an incredible orgasm only to ejaculate without the actual
>orgasm.

I loved it. There's shades of grey (No Neesons)the entire flick w/ the kids kidnapping leading to Alex being taken (npi) & then Keller eventually succumbing to the same fate. It's fucked up but that was the whole point of The Jones plan iirc.

gluvnast
Member since Nov 19th 2006
2367 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 09:57 PM

29. "RE: Incredibly tense movie with enough puzzle pieces to keep you guessin..."
In response to Reply # 14

>The whole maze thing was never really explained, at least from
>what I saw. It was made to be too big a presence to be
>something that wound up having little significance overall.
>
>I don't like the way Keller decided to approach Holly in the
>end. I'm not big on questioning poor character choices, but
>lately I've seen a few things that irked me. At that point, he
>had absolute certainty that his daughter had been there at
>some point. As a father, I can't imagine the need for some
>bullshit preamble with my back turned. I'm pulling out the
>piece the second she opens the door and putting that shit in
>her face, and subjecting her to the same horrors I visited
>upon Alex.

SPOILER:

The maze was indeed explained, and in fact inadvertently was the key for Det. Loki learn who the abductor was and save Keller's daughter.

For starters, the actually point of the "maze" itself was that it was used on the child abductees in giving them false hope. The Jones told the children they kidnapped that if they could solve how to escape the maze that they could leave, the problem was the maze was inescapeable on purpose. This was one of the things that drew Bob Taylor mad because he was one of the children that was kidnapped but escaped but lived the remainder of his adult life with severe PTSD and possible brain trauma from his time there which led to him becoming a copycat and obsessively drawing that maze. Bobby Taylor told Det. Loki that in order to find the children is through the maze. Det. Loki accidentally realized that the "maze" was actually a medallion worn by dead body found in the priest's basement. It turned out the dead body was the "aunt's" husband. When Loki went to the "aunt's" house to inform her about finding Alex, he went into the room and seen the picture of her husband with the same medallion on and he was able too put two and two together...

So, the MAZE is most important part of the story! Without it, Det. Loki would of never learn about the whereabouts of little girl.

As for Keller turning his back on the "aunt". I think he underestimated her. He had a gun inside his bag and he was turning around to reach for it, but didn't expect her being prepared for what he was about to do.

ODotSoHot
1171 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 01:58 AM

15. "***SPOILER***"
In response to Reply # 0

Might've missed the explanation, but how/why did Joy escape?

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 04:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "I was wondering the same. I can't figure that one for anything."
In response to Reply # 15

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

ODotSoHot
1171 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 09:37 AM

17. "That plot point was too big to not be explained..."
In response to Reply # 16

I was hoping I just spaced for a second.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 02:09 PM

18. "I thought they showed it in a quick flashback "
In response to Reply # 17

>I was hoping I just spaced for a second.

It was quick but I'm pretty sure they showed her bolt out the front or back door while Holly was busy tending to Anna

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 06:48 PM

25. "I thought that was a pretty damn big stretch."
In response to Reply # 18

Wouldn't a decades-in pro be more careful?

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 02:37 PM

78. "melissa leo's character did say "shoulda left them in that hole""
In response to Reply # 25

this was after Joy escaped, it might have just been a bit harder to manage in the house and leo also said it was harder without her husband

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Sat Oct-05-13 05:07 AM

89. "the flashbacks and holly jones' admission... "
In response to Reply # 78
Sat Oct-05-13 05:12 AM by CyrenYoung

..it was already strenuous to continue without the help of her husband

once alex was out of the picture, holly was left to deal with both girls on her own. at her age, it was only a matter of time before she made a mistake.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B7E8dge7H8Y

..and miles to go before i sleep...

gluvnast
2367 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 07:42 PM

46. "RE: ***SPOILER***"
In response to Reply # 15

The flashback showed her able to escape from Holly's clutches,but Anna wasn't able to do the same and was recaptured. Joy continued on running until almost getting hit by a car, but a woman was able to save her from getting hit and then was sent to the hospital.

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 04:01 PM

20. "long and good"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Sep-21-13 04:25 PM by Crash Bandacoot

this movie was so f*cked up (in a good way).

*********** SPOILER ALERT ****************

did bob have any involvement with holly and alex? or was he just
a fake killer? did i miss this? why did he shoot
himself? he knew about the maze. how?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 06:44 PM

23. "bob"
In response to Reply # 20

>this movie was so f*cked up (in a good way).
>
>
>*********** SPOILER ALERT ****************
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>did bob have any involvement with holly and alex? or was he
>just
>a fake killer? did i miss this? why did he shoot
>himself? he knew about the maze. how?

thought it mentioned he might've also either been abducted or adopted by the jones...maybe that was just alex tho

if so it would explain how he knew about the maze & why he was following in alex footsteps

figured he shot himself cause he didn't wanna be a prisoner again

never saw how he got the gun but guess it was from loki or one of the other officers during the tussle

ODotSoHot
1171 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 05:53 PM

41. "RE: bob"
In response to Reply # 23

>figured he shot himself cause he didn't wanna be a prisoner
>again

See, I thought he shot himself to create doubt. Like if the cops bought his confession and he killed himself, he'd get credit for all the crimes and they'd just stop looking.

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 02:39 PM

79. "leo (holly) said she had abducted him too, but he got away i guess"
In response to Reply # 20

she said that when she captured keller when he came to the house

she says " i had forgot all about bob taylor until i saw he killed himself in the paper"

prototype

believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 04:15 PM

21. "loved the ending, and the grimness throughout"
In response to Reply # 0

props to Gyllenhaal, since End Of Days I've been noticing how good he is (also finally watched Zodiac a couple of weeks ago). Jackman did well though I didn't quite take to his character all the way. Which made the experience a little better IMO since I'm not really into simplistic characters.
Deakins did his damn thing once more. Can we make him take PEDs so he can work on 10 movies a year?

A little long but a tight enough script to not make that matter too much.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 02:40 PM

80. "gyllenhall is really good, just watched love and other drugs"
In response to Reply # 21

a few days before seeing this film and gotta say boy is really a good actor

prototype

bwood
8614 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 04:43 PM

22. "Dark, bleak, and heavy. More movies need to be like this. Adult and"
In response to Reply # 0

unapologetic. The cast killed it and the director's shot selection is outstanding. Loved the ending that pissed everyone off. Would've liked to know about the significance of the maze and another reason for the abduction other than bringing out the evil in people. Also, while I thoroughly enjoyed this shit, it could've moved faster.

But yo, this shit is a solid must see. Dope fucking film.

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 02:41 PM

81. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 22

and yeah the maze was never really adequatly explained

prototype

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 06:50 PM

26. "Movie's fine. All hail God DEAKINS. One spoiler question:"
In response to Reply # 0

So did they just let Bob Taylor go or what?

Gyllenhaal stood out in the cast for me, since he was the only one who did minimal crying/screaming. Jackman and Dano were typically strong.

This isn't really my type of movie, admittedly, with the screaming and gnashing of teeth and basic procedural unfolding. Best part of it by a country mile was DEAKINS. Shit looked GLORIOUS.

gluvnast
2367 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 09:36 PM

28. "RE: Movie's fine. All hail God DEAKINS. One spoiler question:"
In response to Reply # 26

(Spoiler)

Bob Taylor was the copycat that killed himself.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 10:44 PM

30. "lol, yes, I know THAT."
In response to Reply # 28

>(Spoiler)
>
>Bob Taylor was the copycat that killed himself.

But did Melissa Leo and her hubby just let dude waltz out of there like they did Joy or what?

gluvnast
2367 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 07:35 PM

45. "RE: lol, yes, I know THAT."
In response to Reply # 30

(MORE SPOILERS)

well presumably he escaped... It was impossible to know being that dude had similar brain trauma as Alex (even though Alex's was more extreme due to being there all his life), and Holly saying she can't recall due to so many they had kidnapped.

That said, being that Alex had the freedom to go about on his own as an adult, the same could of been said about Bobby, that he gotten old enough to leave on his on and he never came back.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 08:40 PM

27. "solid ass movie that's only getting notice because of "
In response to Reply # 0

the SCREENPLAY, and not much else really.

everyone was great across the board, though Terence Howard? he really did come off like a weak link to me for some reason.

An extremely solid ass, character driven, adult procedural thriller.

The red herrings were numerous but you didn't mind because you were so invested in Loki finding the girls *AND* wondering how far Keller would go that you'd almost overlook the fact that there were so many.

But, it's the writing though: The writing is what is the driving force behind why this movie *IS* getting oscar buzz. As it should. Guzikowski wrote a ridiculously fantastic movie and if it is nominated, he should get every damn accolade possible.

Jackman was on point; Gyllenhaal, with End of Watch and this, TRULY shows that yes, dude should be an A lister (it will never happen though). And he's following this up with the other Denis Villeneuve (sp?) flick he did called Enemy (dark character thriller), Everest *AND* Nightcrawler, he'll be closer to becoming one.

Though this ran long, it was unrelenting in the bleakness and darkness of the story and that was fine with me.

I'm just glad that adult, hard R, character driven thrillers are coming back. It's about fucking time.

Get Out the Room

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sat Sep-21-13 11:15 PM

31. "BTW, this is the type of movie that the more you think about..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Sep-21-13 11:23 PM by Frank Longo

... the more it falls apart.

How in the world do Howard/Davis not look at the bloody clothes and go, "yeah, those are hers, but she wasn't wearing those clothes that day"?

Also, how is Joy not questioned by cops the second she's found? And why isn't the first question, "so, where'd you go? Who took you?" She could've positively ID'd Alex Jones, which would've implicated Melissa Leo as an accessory, in moments!

In fact, a good amount of the police work seemed dicey, beginning to end. Maybe that's the point, but they could've made the cops competent instead of conveniently incompetent in order to delay solutions.

Finally, I know the ending is spooky and "ambiguous"... but what's the point of that ambiguous ending? Just to cut the audience off? Is there a purpose other than reasonless suspense?

Then again, I don't know why I want it to be more. The film is reasonless suspense. There's not really a theme; it's a procedural, meant to be suspenseful while you watch it and that's all. To hope for it to be more is to hold the film to a different standard than it aspires to achieve.

Maybe I just wanted it to be more because the performances were strong and Deakins was fucking insane. But it's not. Sigh.

(Side note: there's little I hate more than needless "plot hole" bickering-- I think this is the opposite. None of these are really plot holes, so much as they are inconsistent character behaviors for plot convenience and unsatisfactory choices. Which didn't bother me so much during the film, but afterward while discussing it began to irk me.)

bwood
8614 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 07:52 AM

34. "Um...."
In response to Reply # 31

>... the more it falls apart.
>
>How in the world do Howard/Davis not look at the bloody
>clothes and go, "yeah, those are hers, but she wasn't wearing
>those clothes that day"?

It doesn't matter. They wanted anything to help them find their daughter. If this shit happened to my godkids the last thing I'm gonna be thinking is "THEY WEREN"T WEARING THAT SHIT THE DAY THEY WERE TOOKEN!!!"

>
>Also, how is Joy not questioned by cops the second she's
>found? And why isn't the first question, "so, where'd you go?
>Who took you?" She could've positively ID'd Alex Jones, which
>would've implicated Melissa Leo as an accessory, in moments!

This is a little kid whose just been through some shit. They didn't even want the Dovers asking that many questions or getting her upset.
They're gonna give a little kid a few hours to recover.

>
>In fact, a good amount of the police work seemed dicey,
>beginning to end. Maybe that's the point, but they could've
>made the cops competent instead of conveniently incompetent in
>order to delay solutions.
>
>Finally, I know the ending is spooky and "ambiguous"... but
>what's the point of that ambiguous ending? Just to cut the
>audience off? Is there a purpose other than reasonless
>suspense?
>

Um, the ending is not ambiguous. Loki heard Dover blowing the whistle. I don't really need it spelt out for me.

>Then again, I don't know why I want it to be more. The film is
>reasonless suspense. There's not really a theme; it's a
>procedural, meant to be suspenseful while you watch it and
>that's all. To hope for it to be more is to hold the film to a
>different standard than it aspires to achieve.
>
>Maybe I just wanted it to be more because the performances
>were strong and Deakins was fucking insane. But it's not.
>Sigh.
>
>(Side note: there's little I hate more than needless "plot
>hole" bickering-- I think this is the opposite. None of these
>are really plot holes, so much as they are inconsistent
>character behaviors for plot convenience and unsatisfactory
>choices. Which didn't bother me so much during the film, but
>afterward while discussing it began to irk me.)

Sorry you felt that way. The only shit that bothered me was the weak ass explanation for the abductions and the shit with the maze that had no explanation and was just used as weak ass plot device.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 11:17 AM

35. "Response:"
In response to Reply # 34

>>... the more it falls apart.
>>
>>How in the world do Howard/Davis not look at the bloody
>>clothes and go, "yeah, those are hers, but she wasn't
>wearing
>>those clothes that day"?
>
>It doesn't matter. They wanted anything to help them find
>their daughter. If this shit happened to my godkids the last
>thing I'm gonna be thinking is "THEY WEREN"T WEARING THAT SHIT
>THE DAY THEY WERE TOOKEN!!!"

You wouldn't be curious how bloody clothes out of the daughter's drawer popped up? I would be looking for things that would help give hope my kid is alive.

Not to mention the slaughtered pig in the sink should've given an immediate question to what blood was on those clothes. These were the worst damn cops in history, talking "let's show bloody clothes to parents before a positive ID."

>>Also, how is Joy not questioned by cops the second she's
>>found? And why isn't the first question, "so, where'd you
>go?
>>Who took you?" She could've positively ID'd Alex Jones,
>which
>>would've implicated Melissa Leo as an accessory, in moments!
>
>This is a little kid whose just been through some shit. They
>didn't even want the Dovers asking that many questions or
>getting her upset.
>They're gonna give a little kid a few hours to recover.

Again, I find it wildly unlikely with another child out there that they would (a) let non-family in, especially someone as obviously irritable as Keller, and (b) they wouldn't do one or two pre-lim questions. A bothers me more than B, because it's more bad police judgment in a movie full of it.

>>In fact, a good amount of the police work seemed dicey,
>>beginning to end. Maybe that's the point, but they could've
>>made the cops competent instead of conveniently incompetent
>in
>>order to delay solutions.
>>
>>Finally, I know the ending is spooky and "ambiguous"... but
>>what's the point of that ambiguous ending? Just to cut the
>>audience off? Is there a purpose other than reasonless
>>suspense?
>>
>
>Um, the ending is not ambiguous. Loki heard Dover blowing the
>whistle. I don't really need it spelt out for me.

Then why stylistically cut it off there? What's the point? It's clearly stylized to be at least a little ambiguous, as we see a questioning look still on his face, and the director chose to not show Keller get rescued or even show the cop take a single step in his direction. Why choose that?

(I could also ask how the cops didn't immediately search a car or its surroundings and discover that pit, instead opting to dig up a frozen yard.)

>>Then again, I don't know why I want it to be more. The film
>is
>>reasonless suspense. There's not really a theme; it's a
>>procedural, meant to be suspenseful while you watch it and
>>that's all. To hope for it to be more is to hold the film to
>a
>>different standard than it aspires to achieve.
>>
>>Maybe I just wanted it to be more because the performances
>>were strong and Deakins was fucking insane. But it's not.
>>Sigh.
>>
>>(Side note: there's little I hate more than needless "plot
>>hole" bickering-- I think this is the opposite. None of
>these
>>are really plot holes, so much as they are inconsistent
>>character behaviors for plot convenience and unsatisfactory
>>choices. Which didn't bother me so much during the film,
>but
>>afterward while discussing it began to irk me.)
>
>Sorry you felt that way. The only shit that bothered me was
>the weak ass explanation for the abductions and the shit with
>the maze that had no explanation and was just used as weak ass
>plot device.

Yeah, the "war against God" reverse Blues Brothers explanation was nearly laughable.

I also had beef, reading through the post and seeing Cold Truth's complaint, with them having Keller so politely approach the house of the woman he now knows kidnapped his daughter. This is a dude who beat the shit out of a suspect in front of the media, yet he KNOWS lady was involved and he strolls up offering to fix her house? Not suspicious of her "burned hand"? Just another instance of characters conveniently acting uncharacteristically dumb just to extend beats of suspense.

Like I said, the film was suspenseful if long, and it looked great. I just don't think its execution of characterization was terribly precise. We have the worst cops in the world seeking out the worst child kidnapper in the world, lol.

bwood
8614 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 07:18 PM

44. "RE: Response:"
In response to Reply # 35

>>>... the more it falls apart.
>>>
>>>How in the world do Howard/Davis not look at the bloody
>>>clothes and go, "yeah, those are hers, but she wasn't
>>wearing
>>>those clothes that day"?
>>
>>It doesn't matter. They wanted anything to help them find
>>their daughter. If this shit happened to my godkids the last
>>thing I'm gonna be thinking is "THEY WEREN"T WEARING THAT
>SHIT
>>THE DAY THEY WERE TOOKEN!!!"
>
>You wouldn't be curious how bloody clothes out of the
>daughter's drawer popped up? I would be looking for things
>that would help give hope my kid is alive.
>

As Crash Bandicoot pointed out, most parents don't memorize the socks their kids are wearing on any given day.

C'mon. Now you're reaching.

>Not to mention the slaughtered pig in the sink should've given
>an immediate question to what blood was on those clothes.
>These were the worst damn cops in history, talking "let's show
>bloody clothes to parents before a positive ID."
>

It's a small ass town. They prematurely jumped to the conclusion that it was the girl's blood. I can't really fault them on that.

>>>Also, how is Joy not questioned by cops the second she's
>>>found? And why isn't the first question, "so, where'd you
>>go?
>>>Who took you?" She could've positively ID'd Alex Jones,
>>which
>>>would've implicated Melissa Leo as an accessory, in
>moments!
>>
>>This is a little kid whose just been through some shit. They
>>didn't even want the Dovers asking that many questions or
>>getting her upset.
>>They're gonna give a little kid a few hours to recover.
>
>Again, I find it wildly unlikely with another child out there
>that they would (a) let non-family in, especially someone as
>obviously irritable as Keller, and (b) they wouldn't do one or
>two pre-lim questions. A bothers me more than B, because it's
>more bad police judgment in a movie full of it.
>

They're close and suffering a tragedy together by the same assailant. Why wouldn't they let them in?

>>>In fact, a good amount of the police work seemed dicey,
>>>beginning to end. Maybe that's the point, but they could've
>>>made the cops competent instead of conveniently incompetent
>>in
>>>order to delay solutions.
>>>
>>>Finally, I know the ending is spooky and "ambiguous"... but
>>>what's the point of that ambiguous ending? Just to cut the
>>>audience off? Is there a purpose other than reasonless
>>>suspense?
>>>
>>
>>Um, the ending is not ambiguous. Loki heard Dover blowing
>the
>>whistle. I don't really need it spelt out for me.
>
>Then why stylistically cut it off there? What's the point?
>It's clearly stylized to be at least a little ambiguous, as we
>see a questioning look still on his face, and the director
>chose to not show Keller get rescued or even show the cop take
>a single step in his direction. Why choose that?
>

Nigga had questioning look cause he's hearing some shit out of the ordinary. Obviously homie is gonna investigate and found Keller. Like I said do we need to see him get rescued, hospitalized, and then sent to jail. C'mon. These are nitpicks dawg.

>(I could also ask how the cops didn't immediately search a car
>or its surroundings and discover that pit, instead opting to
>dig up a frozen yard.)
>

Yea, my boy and I were seriously bothered by that. Like how do these niggas not find Dover's truck in the woods?

>>>Then again, I don't know why I want it to be more. The film
>>is
>>>reasonless suspense. There's not really a theme; it's a
>>>procedural, meant to be suspenseful while you watch it and
>>>that's all. To hope for it to be more is to hold the film
>to
>>a
>>>different standard than it aspires to achieve.
>>>
>>>Maybe I just wanted it to be more because the performances
>>>were strong and Deakins was fucking insane. But it's not.
>>>Sigh.
>>>
>>>(Side note: there's little I hate more than needless "plot
>>>hole" bickering-- I think this is the opposite. None of
>>these
>>>are really plot holes, so much as they are inconsistent
>>>character behaviors for plot convenience and unsatisfactory
>>>choices. Which didn't bother me so much during the film,
>>but
>>>afterward while discussing it began to irk me.)

There's a lot themes that thankfully someone pointed out below, because I did not want to sit here and point out the shit to you. I mean a HUGE theme here is morality and what's right and how far is too far. How you didn't even pick up on that is beyond me.

I don't know what exactly what you were looking for cause I got as advertised what the film is. An above average crime thriller. As far as plot holes and shit almost every movie has them, after writing and doctoring scripts, it's gonna happen. For better or worse.

>>
>>Sorry you felt that way. The only shit that bothered me was
>>the weak ass explanation for the abductions and the shit
>with
>>the maze that had no explanation and was just used as weak
>ass
>>plot device.
>
>Yeah, the "war against God" reverse Blues Brothers explanation
>was nearly laughable.
>
>I also had beef, reading through the post and seeing Cold
>Truth's complaint, with them having Keller so politely
>approach the house of the woman he now knows kidnapped his
>daughter. This is a dude who beat the shit out of a suspect in
>front of the media, yet he KNOWS lady was involved and he
>strolls up offering to fix her house? Not suspicious of her
>"burned hand"? Just another instance of characters
>conveniently acting uncharacteristically dumb just to extend
>beats of suspense.
>

Yea, that shit is odd now that I marinate on it.

>Like I said, the film was suspenseful if long, and it looked
>great. I just don't think its execution of characterization
>was terribly precise. We have the worst cops in the world
>seeking out the worst child kidnapper in the world, lol.

I don't know about all that. They needed to show more with Joy's escape cause I don't buy that she was that careless with those kids. Even more so after she's been doing it for 20+ years.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 09:38 PM

50. "I touched on this elsewhere."
In response to Reply # 44

>I don't know what exactly what you were looking for cause I
>got as advertised what the film is. An above average crime
>thriller. As far as plot holes and shit almost every movie has
>them, after writing and doctoring scripts, it's gonna happen.
>For better or worse.

I've loved plenty of flicks with abundant plot holes. This movie just didn't come together for me, which leads me to be more irked by the plot holes than in films that did strike a chord. Believe me, I know there's no such thing as a perfect script, lol. Yet if I'd felt the film added up to more, those things likely wouldn't have bothered me as much.

I should have just avoided bringing up those holes/choices/logic discrepancies/whatever, as I firmly believe those are small potatoes in the grand scheme of whether a movie "works" or not (although admittedly something with procedural elements does seem to require in my book something a little bit closer to airtight). Did I connect to the characters? Was the journey satisfactory? Did it challenge me, or did it effectively deliver my genre expectations? My response to those questions comes closer to Deebot's than most of the others in the post, honestly.

I wouldn't call it above average, personally. I'd call it average with exceptional visuals-- which probably does add up to above average in some books, but in two months, when I remember this movie, I won't feel any emotional attachment. I'll just remember a few of those shots, and if the tech awes me more than the story, that's not necessarily a winning recipe.

You know that answer, when someone asks you if you liked a movie, and you say "it was good", but that final inflection in good scoops a bit, like you're going to follow it up with gripes instead of praise? Yeah, that's essentially how my girl and I left the theater talking, lol.

Deebot
26762 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 09:57 PM

52. "All of the characters were statues"
In response to Reply # 50

no depth, no change whatsoever.

I mean shit, Gyllenhaal's character had so little personality that he decided to come up with his OWN backstory, LMAO. And yet Gyllenhaal's performance/character was my favorite of the movie...that is not a good thing.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Mon Sep-23-13 12:05 AM

60. "Gyllenhaal was my favorite too."
In response to Reply # 52

>no depth, no change whatsoever.
>
>I mean shit, Gyllenhaal's character had so little personality
>that he decided to come up with his OWN backstory, LMAO. And
>yet Gyllenhaal's performance/character was my favorite of the
>movie...that is not a good thing.

bwood
8614 posts
Mon Sep-23-13 05:51 AM

61. "No they weren't"
In response to Reply # 52

Loki's ego got the best of him on this case. And over the course of the movie you see him really start to care about the people involved whereas when he started he tried to distance himself from the victims "so he can just do his job".

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon Dec-09-13 02:49 AM

93. "Ambiguity and the Worst Cops of the Year"
In response to Reply # 44

The cops were laughably bad in this one.

So they have a burned body of a possibly kidnapper and the only identifying item is his maze necklace. Days later, a guy keeps drawing mazes and nobody puts 2 + 2 together. Nobody sees the picture during their first sweep of the house. Nobody bothers to ask, "Hey, anything under this board under the car? (In fact, even when they know who did it, they still opt to dig through frozen ground than check that out.)

The RV M.O. was similar to a kidnapping 26 years ago. The RV is owned by Paul Dano's aunt. The kidnapped kid would be around Paul Dano's age now. I mean, that might be a stretch to figure that out but when you have Paul Dano in custody for 48 hours, you can't figure out that his parents weren't killed in a car accident leaving him with their aunt?

As for the ending, you guys are both right. It was ambigious per the writer but the ambiguity is whether or not Gylenhall is going to save Keller.

On the decision to end the movie with a cliffhanger:
“Oddly enough, that’s how it was in the script when it was bought. And it never really changed. When we were shooting, we did shoot a version where it goes a little beyond where the fade out is. There’s a version where he moves the car and sees Hugh down there, and so on. None of us really wanted to do that version, but we wanted to make sure we had it in case once the film was put together it seemed like it really needed it. But after testing the film with the ending it has now, everyone decided that was definitely the way to go. Joel Cox, the editor, felt very strongly about it. I just think that’s the moment when the movie is ready to end.”
And the ending that was shot but didn’t get used was…
“They move the car. They see he’s down there. You know he’s going to be taken out of the hole. I like it much better being ambiguous. Even though you assume that’s what’s probably going to happen, I like that there’s a small chance that he’s not going to get him out of there for whatever reason.”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/the-prisoners-spoilers-on-the-ending

"For whatever reason" seems to have been used a lot in script meetings on this one.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Crash Bandacoot
10119 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 01:12 PM

38. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 34
Sun Sep-22-13 01:17 PM by Crash Bandacoot

plus, i only saw the damning bloody sock and his reaction...are parents
keen on what socks their children are wearing at all times?

the only thing that i didn't understand was bob's involvement (if any) with holly and alex.

"It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

ricky_BUTLER
Member since Jul 06th 2003
16899 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 11:21 AM

36. "I thought it had a lot going for it."
Sun Sep-22-13 11:23 AM by ricky_BUTLER

>suspense?

SPOILER

Do you think Keller was to be rescued?

I thought there were a decent number of at least interesting religious allusions. Plus, the repeated prisoners theme, no matter how obtuse it was at times, demonstrated to me that the procedural aspects of the films, like 'em or not, were not all the film had going for it.

The film takes place three times under ground, right?* The priest's basement, Keller's basement, and then the Melissa Leo's hole in the ground. All three are not easily physically escapable. Sure, Keller's basement is, for now, but as designed and if in use, it would be a place to be "trapped" for a long time. But how were they all used to imprison?

Leo's kid dies of cancer. The loss of a child takes her away from God and turns her into a "demon" (her own words). She kidnaps little boy Dano. Ma and Pa Leo are now "prisoners" of grief, while Dano is a literal captive. Along the way, they kidnap gaunt-faced boy as well (and maybe 14 others). There's some traumatic incident involving snakes. Don't know if there was much to their inclusion in the story except to 1) be scary; 2) be religious imagery; 3) represent a maze like quality with their bodies.

Eventually, Gaunt-faced escapes from the maze but is forever changed / held hostage by the experience. Pa Leo feels guilt, confesses to a (sex-offending) priest, and finds the only way to keep himself from committing these acts again is to make himself a prisoner in the priest's religious-statues-aplenty basement. Jump ahead and the the two little girls are kidnapped, drugged, etc.. The loss of a child turns Jackman and, to a slightly lesser degree, Terrence Howard and Viola Davis into demons (all still complicit IMO).

So now this original-sin-believing religious survivalist who always promised to protect those who put their faith in him is having his power tested. His recourse is to kidnap a scarred, scared "boy", lock him up, and then eventually confine him to this cell of a contraption in the shower.

Everyone either turns to or blames their faith in times of crisis (no personal responsibility). Scripture is quoted or God summoned right before or during acts of violence throughout the movie. Those who are the most fervently religious commit the most demonic of acts when pushed.

Additionally, grief moves many to self-medicate. Look at the way it distorts Bello's whole being, while the need to alleviate such great pain on their own pushed Jackman and Leo to such reckless extremes. What did he say in the beginning about eventually it's going to be you versus the world? His religious and political beliefs, as well as his grief, have pushed him away from the community / societal norms. There's also something to Jackman drinking Leo's concoction upon the promise that it will bring him closer to what he wants.

Only the children are innocent.**

I'm not saying that this is some brilliant indictment of religion or patriotism or how its followers will go to extremes to justify however they arrive at their own closure or survival. I think however there is more going on beyond the superficial procedural aspects. I enjoyed the ride of the procedural with only a couple quibbles along the way, but found myself more fascinated by everything else afterward on the ride home.

*Hypocrisy being a common ploy of the faithful. . . . Leo's last request on earth was not be buried in a box somewhere. She knew the hell she was inflicting and didn't want it for herself; just like she knew the loss of a child, wouldn't want to revisit that again, but kept inflicting that pain on parents all over.

**Gyllenhaal too, right? In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 11:58 AM

37. "Interesting thoughts. Thanks for sharing."
In response to Reply # 36
Sun Sep-22-13 11:59 AM by Frank Longo

I'm not hellbent on it being "just a procedural," my quibbles just tended to outweigh my enjoyment upon reflection. I couldn't really get too into it save for Deakins' tremendous work.

Plus, I firmly believe going down the rabbit hole of quibbles (which I'm totally doing in this thread, sadly) is never a road that ends well, as I love plenty of films that are far from airtight. So there's a reason this film led me to focus on my beefs leaving the theater instead of basking in enjoyment. I just haven't necessarily pinpointed it yet.

ricky_BUTLER
Member since Jul 06th 2003
16899 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 03:31 PM

40. "But wait, there's more."
In response to Reply # 37
Sun Sep-22-13 03:34 PM by ricky_BUTLER

>I'm not hellbent on it being "just a procedural," my quibbles
>just tended to outweigh my enjoyment upon reflection. I
>couldn't really get too into it save for Deakins' tremendous
>work.

As far as end of the year stuff, Deakins, Bello, and the script are on my lists as of this moment.

I like what the movie does also as far as audience expectations / sympathies. The movie starts with a deer in the crosshairs (a gun's scope and the circular maze were an interesting comparison to me). One woman in my audience said something like, "poor little deer." But we're more or less "cool" with the deer in nature being killed. It's part of the hunt. Yada yada. Later, Viola Davis politely turns down handling the deer meet, citing her occupation as a vet (we later get a shot of Maria Bello prepping the deer--no such hangups). Davis' elder daughter also expresses her concern about the boy shooting the deer. His response is to compare it to the hamburgers he presumes she eats with no qualms. Meat is meat is meat is meat or not? It's okay to eat fish because they don't have any feelings.

The other instance of animal peril is the dog that Dano takes on a walk. When he picked it up by the leash and let it swing in the air, the one "poor little deer" woman now had a theater full of gaspers to join her. What do we as audience choose as acceptable to be hurt / tortured / killed? Why the deer but not the dog?

Are we cool with Dano being punched in the police parking lot? Are we cool with Gyllenhaal going at the handcuffed gaunt-faced dude?

If Dano is the abductor or the gaunt-faced boy is, has it all been justifiable? Are we cool with them being attacked when we think each is the perpetrator? What happens when they find out they're not?

Jackman was on the Daly Show relaying an anecdote about how he was watching the movie with his wife. She was holding his hand during the screening until about halfway through (the sink scene I'm guessing) when she got her distance from him. I think Villeneuve and company are purposefully playing with audience expectations in a similar way.

When does Jackman cross the line? How much is too much? This is what Terrence Howard and Viola Davis have to face. If they find out where their daughter is, has it all been justifiable? How complicit are they? Does it matter how much if they were complicit to any degree?

>Plus, I firmly believe going down the rabbit hole of quibbles
>(which I'm totally doing in this thread, sadly) is never a
>road that ends well, as I love plenty of films that are far
>from airtight.

Right. The mysterious car in Vertigo is my favorite example of something that doesn't make sense but also doesn't have to.

Crash Bandacoot
10119 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 01:48 PM

39. "excellent synopsis"
In response to Reply # 36
Sun Sep-22-13 01:50 PM by Crash Bandacoot

i think that i may see this again. i like films
that meander outside of direct plot points
and tie in to 'other' philosophical reasoning.

gluvnast
2367 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 07:57 PM

47. "RE: BTW, this is the type of movie that the more you think about..."

>
>How in the world do Howard/Davis not look at the bloody
>clothes and go, "yeah, those are hers, but she wasn't wearing
>those clothes that day"?

Depends on what they saw. Keller remember a sock that was his daughter's but you cannot remember what exact kind of SOCK that she wore that day. Especially when you are emotionally distraught. It could of been a pair of underwear they remembered being hers for all we know.

>Also, how is Joy not questioned by cops the second she's
>found? And why isn't the first question, "so, where'd you go?
>Who took you?" She could've positively ID'd Alex Jones, which
>would've implicated Melissa Leo as an accessory, in moments!

If I recall, they told Keller that she's been in a traumatic experience and needs time. This was the implied reason why the police didn't question her. Keller just didn't GAF and did anyway. Plus, it wouldn't of helped because she was distraught as it was due to the fact she been drugged and her mind wasn't fully focused. Which was why the flashback from her perspective was all blurry and hazy.

>In fact, a good amount of the police work seemed dicey,
>beginning to end. Maybe that's the point, but they could've
>made the cops competent instead of conveniently incompetent in
>order to delay solutions.

Yea, that was the point which was why Keller lost total faith on the police and decided to take matters in his own hands.

>
>suspense?

Totally agree on this. Tired of this "Nolan-esque" ambiguous ending gimmick these directors tried to pull that serves no purpose at all.

>Then again, I don't know why I want it to be more. The film is
>reasonless suspense. There's not really a theme; it's a
>procedural, meant to be suspenseful while you watch it and
>that's all. To hope for it to be more is to hold the film to a
>different standard than it aspires to achieve.

I think you didn't pay full attention to the OBVIOUS themes in this movie, especially the overt religious themes of faith and repentance, not to mention the literal and metaphorical aspects of being a "prisoner"

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 09:28 PM

48. "lol, no, I understand that these things are *there*."
In response to Reply # 47

>I think you didn't pay full attention to the OBVIOUS themes in
>this movie, especially the overt religious themes of faith and
>repentance, not to mention the literal and metaphorical
>aspects of being a "prisoner"

The "prisoner" aspect is especially crystal clear. I just don't think those things added up to much or really said anything especially compelling. Merely having religious imagery doesn't automatically make it dynamite from a thematic perspective.

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Wed Sep-25-13 09:15 PM

64. "RE: BTW, this is the type of movie that the more you think about..."

>
oh my god, lol, i agree with you about this one.

Deebot
26762 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 12:47 AM

33. "At the end of the day this movie is silly with 0 payoff"
In response to Reply # 0

If you choose to make a slow-moving 2.5 hour movie and reveal small detail by small detail throughout, then it NEEDS to have an amazing payoff. This did not.

The main reveal of the movie is contrived, which is not a good look. Detective cracks the case during a random fit of rage...that is laziness in the script.

Deebot
26762 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 10:07 PM

55. "And just to clarify, when I say payoff, I don't mean everything needs"
In response to Reply # 33

to be tied up in a bow at the end. I just mean the climax needs to be amazing. The climax in this film is sadly wack and silly. I wanted this movie to have a good ending, I really did. I would have liked it alot with a worthy, smart climax.

**SPOILER**

What was with the old lady demanding Hugh to drink her magic potion? What did it actually do, and what was the point of it?

Just bizarre silliness...

ODotSoHot
1171 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 10:12 PM

56. "That's true..."
In response to Reply # 55

With a gun trained on him, he was gonna do her bidding regardless. The 'magic potion' was unnecessary. Just a way for them to deliver exposition (how she kept the girls quiet/sedated) a little less painlessly.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Mon Sep-23-13 07:41 PM

63. "RE: And just to clarify, when I say payoff, I don't mean everything need..."
Mon Sep-23-13 08:12 PM by howisya

i think putting him in a drugged stupor and throwing him off balance was just insurance and probably to inflict extra harm (maybe he fell down the hole more sloppily than he would have without the drink) or make him feel what his daughter felt after drinking it

lexx3001
Charter member
9211 posts
Fri Sep-27-13 11:02 AM

71. "SPOILER"

The "potion" made him sedated. Made easier to handle. I thought it was obvious? I don't know I liked it for what it was.

Stay strong

Lexx

iamlexx.com
newvintagegroup.com
aim: lexx3001

ODotSoHot
1171 posts
Fri Sep-27-13 11:57 AM

72. "I mean...."
In response to Reply # 71

He was cuffed with a gun on him...he would've done whatever she said regardless. He wouldn't have gotten too buck, because she had his daughter.

howisya
39983 posts
Fri Sep-27-13 12:06 PM

73. "i really think it was psychological more than plot point"
In response to Reply # 72

i agree with those of you saying she didn't *need* to do that, but i think the mind-altering substance caused an effect on the character and the viewer that added to the stakes

Crash Bandacoot
10119 posts
Fri Sep-27-13 01:41 PM

74. "bingo"
In response to Reply # 73

people are making this movie out to be
more nonsensical than what it really is.

howisya
39983 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 06:21 PM

43. "the one to beat this year"
In response to Reply # 0

Deebot
26762 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 09:47 PM

51. "Can someone tell me what drew the detective to the priest's house"
In response to Reply # 0

at the beginning? I must have missed the reason he snuck over there in the middle of the night.

ODotSoHot
1171 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 10:03 PM

54. "He was investigating sex offenders within a 10 mile radius..."
In response to Reply # 51

The priest was on the list.

Deebot
26762 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 10:25 PM

58. "Ok thanks"
In response to Reply # 54

Crash Bandacoot
10119 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 10:16 PM

57. "*** spoiler *****"
In response to Reply # 51

i think that the priest was a registered sex offender.

Deebot
26762 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 10:30 PM

59. "ty"
In response to Reply # 57

lightworks
Member since Feb 17th 2006
5818 posts
Mon Sep-23-13 06:02 PM

62. "This shit sucked."
In response to Reply # 0

So much potential.

Red herrings like crazy.

Shit that didn't add up (the priest? The dude randomly having keys to their houses? The snakes?)

Wack ending.

Fuck this movie.

maternalbliss
2553 posts
Wed Sep-25-13 09:55 PM

65. "RE: damn this had a LOT of potential"
In response to Reply # 0

but imo it missed the mark. The acting is stellar, the atmosphere is dark and intense. I was totally engrossed with the film but it relies on too many contrivances. The ending is ambiguous which is a shame. This movie is 2 and a half hours long so there damn sure was enough time for det. Loki to do problem solving.
Grade B

Spoiler

Quite early in the film I figured out the dead man in the priest's basement was the aunt's husband. What did not make sense to me was the girl escaping and the maze thing. This movie reminded me of Mystic River. IMO MR is waaaaay better than this.

Deebot
26762 posts
Thu Sep-26-13 01:40 AM

66. "agree 100%, very similar to Mystic River, just not as good"
In response to Reply # 65

Mystic River gets alot of hate for its ending, but that movie is tense as hell.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Thu Sep-26-13 01:36 PM

68. "My problem with Mystic River..."
In response to Reply # 66

... was that while I remember enjoying it until the ending, it's one of those movies that I can't for the life of me remember anything specific about EXCEPT for its godawful ending.

I also remember thinking Penn was milking it a little too hard, but that's par for the course for his career.

Robbins kilt it though. At least, I seem to remember he did. Can't for the life of me remember a specific scene from this flick.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Sep-26-13 09:54 AM

67. "Reminded me more of Zodiac than Mystic River "
In response to Reply # 65

> This movie reminded me of Mystic River. IMO MR is
>waaaaay better than this.

Exact opposite for me. Hated Mystic River & not just cause of it's horrible ending. Haven't seen a Clint flick since & have no desire to either.

maternalbliss
2553 posts
Thu Sep-26-13 06:43 PM

69. "RE: Reminded me more of Zodiac than Mystic River "
In response to Reply # 67

possibler spoilers

when i watched Zodiac for the first time i thought ok this is a pretty good film. The second time i thouht wow what was i thinkinng this is a GREAT flick. In Zodiac the investigation was very detailed. In my opinion, Prisoners, is nothing like that. Keller's rage and his revenge were at the forefront and not the kidnapping investigation. Once they found the first girl at that point everything about loki's investigation seemed rushed. They explained none of the details about what happened very well.

Keller and Penn's character(in MR) were exactly the same. Both of them were being self righteous and taking matters into their own hands.

I did like this movie a lot but i can't call it great, it was almost there tho.

BLISS

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Sep-27-13 10:01 AM

70. "Like Frank, I hardly recall anything specific about Mystic River "
In response to Reply # 69

The only scenes that stood out for me were:

Penn losing his mind which they showed in the trailer

Penn in beast mode at the wake (best part of the movie by far for me)

Tim Robbins & Marcia Gay Harden seeming sorta retarted

& the worse ending ever

Triber
Charter member
1609 posts
Sat Sep-28-13 09:16 AM

75. "One thing I didn't get (spoiler)"
In response to Reply # 0

Why did Joy ID Keller when she woke up in the hospital? Saying that "He was there". Was there something more to that? Or was she just disillusion at that point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Stroke Of Death" is so gangster it makes you wanna stab your baby sitter. (c) Chris Rock on Supreme Clientele

<--------Great In '08! (said back in '06)

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Sat Sep-28-13 11:39 AM

76. "Keller was grilling her about the location & she helped him fio"
In response to Reply # 75

>Why did Joy ID Keller when she woke up in the hospital?
>Saying that "He was there". Was there something more to that?
>Or was she just disillusion at that point.

She must've heard his voice when he was over at the house the time before. He was able to put it together after she told him that he had already been there.

Fructose Soda
Member since Feb 19th 2012
2150 posts
Sun Sep-29-13 03:56 PM

77. "over.....fucking......rated"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Sep-29-13 04:00 PM by Fructose Soda

Okay,...so Jackman fucked up a bathroom sink and tortured the hell out of Dano. So what? Jackman is used to doing roles like this. Yelling and punching isn't a stretch for him.
Speaking of Dano, he did the least bit of acting. I don't get what the big deal is. Its like his voice gets more & more timid with each film. He used to get slapped, now he gets beaten into a bloody pulp.
And, the ending........ UGH!
Joy miraculously escapes...all of a sudden, after a week. But yet, they couldn't scream or make a scene when they were on their own street?
It would've made more sense if Jake's character fucked Jackman up because of the torture he put that grown 10 yr old through.
And... they couldn't figure out (earlier) that dude was kidnapped?
Whatever.

I'm gonna go watch "Newlyweeds", now.

lexx3001
Charter member
9211 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 03:18 PM

82. "you serious?"
In response to Reply # 77

She couldn't scream? Did you miss the part where they said that the kids willingly went to play in the RV? and the aunt decided to take them? It all made sense to me, i don't see how this was overrated. It was a solid suspense thriller. Was never claimed to Citizen Kane or anything, just a solid dope flick. Maybe you don't like the genre, well to each their own, but in no way is this overrated.

Stay strong

Lexx

iamlexx.com
newvintagegroup.com
aim: lexx3001

Fructose Soda
2150 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 12:12 PM

85. "its overrated due to these exaggerated praises."
In response to Reply # 82

I didn't claim the movie was bad.
Yes, it was interesting toward the middle.
But is it as wonderful as all these comments in here are boasting?
No way.
A year from now, I doubt most of yall will even remember this movie.

MainSource
Member since Jul 28th 2012
4368 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 07:49 AM

83. "This movie was Disjointed and Awful. The Ending SUCKED!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-01-13 07:50 AM by MainSource

And they paid Terrence Howard to do nothing but Cry the whole time..

........... My Ctrl+Alt+Delete is Mind Blowing!

Fructose Soda
2150 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 12:06 PM

84. "Howard has been on autopilot for a while now."
In response to Reply # 83

They couldve paid me to give the same performance.
Seriously.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 12:29 PM

86. "They could've & then you could've read similar complaints "
In response to Reply # 84

>Seriously

Fructose Soda
2150 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 09:42 AM

87. "precisely my point,"
In response to Reply # 86

But atleast nobody wouldve had any expectations (since I'm a "no name" actor).
And I wouldnt charge as much as Howard to give the same boring performance.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 10:10 AM

88. "The role really didn't call for much but I thought he played it perfect"
In response to Reply # 87

& I'm not a big fan of Howard either

Hustle & Flow was a loooong time ago

This was right in his lane these days

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Sat Oct-05-13 02:47 PM

90. "ambivalent..."
In response to Reply # 0

..not bad.

not great, but certainly not bad.

a few issues:

- a kidnapping/missing child(ren) investigation would be MUCH more intense. keller dover's family history would've surfaced MUCH sooner. his father's old property would've been discovered & searched MUCH sooner.

- jake gyllenhaal is a good actor overall, but isn't believable as a cop. an investigative reporter maybe, but definitely not a cop. outside of that, the cast was on point.

- the incident/suicide in the interrogation room would've effectively shut down det. loki. such a critical mistake would've brought on a massive internal investigation, and he would've been relieved from the case (and duty) as a result.

someone here mentioned that the more you think about this movie, the more it falls apart. procedurally, this is true. still, the premise and basic execution works well enough to keep the movie in solid standing.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B7E8dge7H8Y

..and miles to go before i sleep...

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Sun Oct-06-13 10:38 PM

91. "I thought it was awesome"
In response to Reply # 0

Would watch another Det. Loki film.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon Dec-09-13 02:04 AM

92. "Mystic Vanishing"
In response to Reply # 0

It's like they tried to do a mash up of Mystic River and The Vanishing and then ended up wasting some strong performances in the name of adding a rather pointless Whodunnit element. It kind of felt like something a studio exec threw in. "People don't want character pieces; throw in a creepy crazy case element to it."

It was fine. Forgettable but entertaining enough. Definitely didn't need to be 2.5 hours.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

bloocollar
Member since Aug 14th 2008
18163 posts
Wed Dec-25-13 07:57 PM

94. "Good film but--"
In response to Reply # 0

could have used one or two more re-writes

parts of it were a little too convenient

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Mon Jul-21-14 04:10 PM

95. "it was good"
In response to Reply # 0

great acting. great cinematic atmosphere

some of the complaints in this thread are valid, some are laughable

overall good discussion of this film, which doesn't happen often in PTP anymore

Grand_Royal
Charter member
33210 posts
Mon Jul-21-14 06:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
96. "really enjoyed this, I was sleepin' on it"
In response to Reply # 0

It was long, but I don't feel like it much of it was unnecessary.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #652107 Previous topic | Next topic