Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #651479

Subject: "Blue is the Warmest Color (Kechiche, 2013)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8608 posts
Sat Jul-12-14 10:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Blue is the Warmest Color (Kechiche, 2013)"
Wed Oct-09-13 11:12 AM by Frank Longo

...graphically explicit unsimulated sex scenes by the two female leads. I wanna see this for strictly cinematic purposes I swear.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/cannes-blue-is-the-warmest-color-wins-palme-d-or-1200488202/

“Blue Is the Warmest Color,” Abdellatif Kechiche’s sweeping and sexually explicit drama about a French teenage girl’s love affair with another woman, received the Palme d’Or at the 66th annual Cannes Film Festival on Sunday night. In a history-making decision, the Steven Spielberg-led jury opted not only to give the first Palme d’Or to a gay romantic drama, but to present the accolade jointly to three artists: Tunisian-born director Abdellatif Kechiche and French actresses Adele Exarchopoulos and Lea Seydoux.

SEE MORE: Cannes Film Festival

The Grand Prix went to “Inside Llewyn Davis,” Joel and Ethan Coen’s warmly received musical comedy-drama about a downtrodden singer-guitarist from New York’s 1960s folk scene. It’s the eighth film the Coen brothers have had in competition at Cannes; they won the Palme d’Or for 1991′s “Barton Fink,” as well as directing prizes for “Barton Fink,” “Fargo” (1996) and “The Man Who Wasn’t There” (2001).

The Coens weren’t the only Yank talents recognized at Sunday’s Audrey Tautou-hosted closing ceremony. In a widely applauded decision, 76-year-old Bruce Dern drew the actor kudo for his performance as an aging husband and father in Alexander Payne’s black-and-white road movie “Nebraska.” In contrast with last year, when none of the five American films in competition won a prize, Spielberg’s jury spread the wealth around, honoring a range of films from Europe, North America and Asia.

With its 175-minute running time (the longest of any film in competition) and graphic lesbian sex scenes, “Blue Is the Warmest Color” dominated festival conversation following its first press screenings on Wednesday night and was swiftly acquired for Stateside distribution by IFC’s Sundance Selects. Still, audiences at the Palais des Festivals were held in some suspense until the final moments of the ceremony, as Exarchopoulos’ presence had led many to assume she had won the actress prize, which would have technically prevented “Blue” from also winning the Palme.

This is the second year in a row that the festival’s top prize has gone to a French-language feature, as Austrian helmer’s Paris-set drama “Amour” won in 2012. It also represents a rare instance of a director winning Cannes’ top prize for his first film in competition; Kechiche’s previous two films, “The Secret of the Grain” (2007) and “Black Venus” (2010), bowed in competition at the Venice Film Festival (where “Grain” was a multiple prizewinner).

At a press conference following the ceremony, Spielberg described Kechiche’s film as “a great love story that made all of us feel privileged to be a fly on the wall, to see this story of deep love and deep heartbreak evolve from the beginning. The director didn’t put any constraints on the narrative. He let the scenes play in real life, and we were absolutely spellbound.”

While the presentation of international cinema’s highest honor to this particular film struck a topical note at a time when the gay-marriage debate continues to rage (France just legalized it last week), Spielberg rejected the idea that politics had influenced the jury’s decision. “As you know, the characters in this film do not get married,” he said. “Politics were never in the room with us.” He also said that the decision to honor thesps Exarchopoulos and Seydoux alongside Kechiche was essential, noting that, “If the casting had been even 3% wrong, it wouldn’t have worked in the same way. All of us felt we needed to invite all three artists to the stage together.”

Spielberg added that while he expected the film to play well in the U.S., “I’m not sure it will be allowed to play in every state.”

The jury presented a united front backstage, as Spielberg noted that there had been no behind-the-scenes drama, and that he and his fellow jurors were able to come to a consensus on “at least three of the incredibly important choices.” Juror Nicole Kidman noted that, given their hectic schedule, she asked her jurors to see certain films more than once. In addition to Spielberg and Kidman, the jury included directors Ang Lee, Cristian Mungiu, Lynne Ramsay and Naomi Kawase, and actors Christoph Waltz, Daniel Auteuil and Vidya Balan.

In perhaps the evening’s biggest surprise, Mexican helmer Amat Escalante received the directing nod for his third feature, “Heli.” A tough drama about a family torn apart by drug-related gang violence, the film screened on the first evening of the festival and generated discussion primarily for its attention-grabbing image of a man having his genitals set on fire.

Berenice Bejo took the actress award for her performance as a Parisian woman seeking a divorce from her Iranian husband in Asghar Farhadi’s “The Past.” The last time Bejo appeared in a Cannes competition entry was in 2011 with “The Artist,” for which she later received an Oscar nomination.

Two of the three Asian films in competition were singled out for recognition. The jury prize was awarded to “Like Father, Like Son,” Japanese helmer Hirokazu Kore-eda’s delicate drama about two families who discover their sons were swapped at birth, while Chinese writer-director Jia Zhangke was given the screenplay prize for “A Touch of Sin,” his four-part drama based on real-life episodes of violence in contempo China.

In another victory for an Asian film, albeit one outside the official selection, the Camera d’Or jury, headed by Agnes Varda, presented its prize for best first feature to Singaporean helmer Anthony Chen’s Directors’ Fortnight entry “Ilo ilo.” Chen noted in his acceptance speech that his was the first pic from Singapore to receive an award in Cannes.

Despite having generated considerable buzz during the festival, Steven Soderbergh’s “Behind the Candelabra,” James Gray’s “The Immigrant” and Paolo Sorrentino’s “The Great Beauty” went home empty-handed.

Before Sunday’s ceremony, the Un Certain Regard jury, headed by Thomas Vinterberg, gave its top award to “The Missing Picture,” Cambodian helmer Rithy Panh’s documentary account of his childhood under the Pol Pot regime, and a jury prize to “Omar,” helmer Hany Abu-Assad’s drama about young Palestinian men driven to violence.

Ryan Coogler’s first feature, “Fruitvale Station,” received a Future prize, adding to its two big wins at Sundance, while a directing award was presented to Gallic helmer Alain Guiraudie for his gay-cruising thriller “Stranger by the Lake,” acquired during the festival by Strand Releasing. Finally, the Un Certain Regard jury handed a special A Certain Talent award to the ensemble cast of “La jaula de oro,” an immigration thriller from Mexico-based Spanish helmer Diego Quemada-Diaz.

The big winner in the Directors’ Fortnight sidebar was “Me Myself and Mum,” Gallic actor-director Guillaume Gallienne’s comedy adapted from his own stage show; the pic won both the Art Cinema award and the Society of Dramatic Authors and Composers’ SACD prize, given to a French-language film. “The Selfish Giant,” British helmer Clio Barnard’s unconventional take on Oscar Wilde, received the Europa Cinemas Label for best European film.

Like Directors’ Fortnight, the Critics’ Week yielded a double winner: “Salvo,” a thriller from Italian directors Fabio Grassadonia and Antonio Piazza, which won both the Grand Prix and the Visionary prize in the sidebar. A special mention went to Argentinian entry “The Owners,” helmed by Agustin Toscano and Ezequiel Radusky, while Canadian director Sebastien Pilote’s farming drama “Le Demantelement” took the SACD prize for best screenplay.

The Fipresci international critics jury sided with Spielberg’s jury, giving its top competition prize to “Blue Is the Warmest Color,” and also bestowed awards on Mohammad Rasoulof’s “Manuscripts Don’t Burn” (Un Certain Regard) and Jeremy Saulnier’s “Blue Ruin” (Directors’ Fortnight).

MAIN JURY PRIZES

Palme d’Or: “Blue Is the Warmest Color” (Abdellatif Kechiche, director; Adele Exarchopoulos and Lea Seydoux, actresses; France-Belgium-Spain)

Grand Prix: “Inside Llewyn Davis” (Joel and Ethan Coen, U.S.)

Director: Amat Escalante, “Heli” (Mexico)

Jury prize: “Like Father, Like Son” (Hirokazu Kore-eda, Japan)

Actor: Bruce Dern, “Nebraska” (Alexander Payne, U.S.)

Actress: Berenice Bejo, “The Past” (Asghar Farhadi, France-Italy)

Screenplay: Jia Zhangke, “A Touch of Sin” (China)

UN CERTAIN REGARD JURY PRIZES

Main prize: “The Missing Picture” (Rithy Panh, Cambodia-France)

Jury prize: Hany Abu-Assad, “Omar” (Palestine)

Director: Alain Guiraudie, “Stranger by the Lake” (France)

Future prize: “Fruitvale Station” (Ryan Coogler, U.S.)

A Certain Talent prize: Ensemble cast of “La jaula de oro” (Diego Quemada-Diaz, Mexico-Spain)

OTHER JURY PRIZES

Camera d’Or: “Ilo ilo” (Anthony Chen, Singapore)

Directors’ Fortnight Art Cinema Award: “Me Myself and Mum” (Guillaume Gallienne, France)

Directors’ Fortnight Europa Cinemas Label: “The Selfish Giant” (Clio Barnard, U.K.)

Directors’ Fortnight SACD Prize: “Me Myself and Mum”

Critics’ Week Grand Prix: “Salvo” (Fabio Grassadonia, Antonio Piazza, Italy)

Critics’ Week Visionary Prize: “Salvo”

Critics’ Week Special Mention: “The Owners” (Agustin Toscano, Ezequiel Radusky, Argentina)

Critics’ Week SACD Prize for Screenplay: “Le Demantelement” (Sebastien Pilote, Canada)

Short Films Palme d’Or: “Safe” (Moon Byoung-gon, South Korea)

Ecumenical Jury Prize: “The Past” (Asghar Farhadi, France-Italy)

FIPRESCI PRIZES

Competition: “Blue Is the Warmest Color” (Abdellatif Kechiche, France)

Un Certain Regard: “Manuscripts Don’t Burn” (Mohammad Rasoulof, Iran)

Directors’ Fortnight: “Blue Ruin” (Jeremy Saulnier, U.S.)

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's a good movie and it doesn't feel like 3h at all
May 28th 2013
Can you write a full review yo.
May 28th 2013
given that french folk turned out by the thousands
May 28th 2013
Stranger's responses were more mixed... but Blue was through the roof.
May 28th 2013
      *Gives the side eye*
May 28th 2013
      RE: Stranger's responses were more mixed... but Blue was through the roo...
May 29th 2013
THANK YOU BASED SPIELBERG
May 28th 2013
^^^^^^^^
May 28th 2013
you know Kate Capshaw was not pleased
May 29th 2013
damn, U.S. films looking like the Mets right now
May 28th 2013
Oh shit
May 28th 2013
      obvious or not, I never miss the chance to crack a Mets joke.
May 31st 2013
52-year-old men filming graphic teen girl sex
May 28th 2013
You niggas are on point with the jokes today.
May 28th 2013
shit.
May 28th 2013
I will fight you for that avy. Dear Marthas Kent and Wayne.
Oct 29th 2013
Dargis wrote a pretty nasty piece on the film underscoring that point.
May 28th 2013
RE: 52-year-old men filming graphic teen girl sex
May 28th 2013
On fucking point
Jul 12th 2014
hopefully the distribution is solid.
May 28th 2013
no joke
May 29th 2013
I'm doing a Kickstarter for the American remake in 3D.
May 29th 2013
wait whaaaaaa???---
May 29th 2013
You always have A plus posts yo.nm
May 29th 2013
Ehh, I wouldn't go THIS far.
May 30th 2013
sorry to break your heart
May 30th 2013
      Why you kill your dreams nigga?
May 31st 2013
      thats dumb as shit--
May 31st 2013
           Y'all don't mind fake breasts. I think you'll live.
May 31st 2013
So 76 films are eligible for the Best Foreign Language Oscar.
Oct 09th 2013
Read about that shit the yesterday.
Oct 09th 2013
After finding out Adele is only 19 making her 17 (or 16) when shooting.....
Oct 11th 2013
FYI, the age of consent in France apparently is 16.
Oct 25th 2013
I dug it
Oct 25th 2013
this and Stranger By The Lake
Oct 26th 2013
Dec 08th 2013
Strong flick. Moves fast for a three hour character study.
Dec 09th 2013
it's good. that's it
Mar 09th 2014
And on point
Jul 12th 2014
best female performance in a half-decade.
Mar 23rd 2014
oh yeah i saw this!--
Mar 25th 2014
Yep
Mar 26th 2014
Eh overhyped
Jul 12th 2014

IslaSoul
Member since Aug 01st 2003
5947 posts
Tue May-28-13 08:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's a good movie and it doesn't feel like 3h at all"
In response to Reply # 0

the female leads are great.
With all the tension & protest surrounding gay marriage in France, it's no surprise this movie won.

http://islasoul.bandcamp.com

bwood
8608 posts
Tue May-28-13 04:01 PM

10. "Can you write a full review yo."
In response to Reply # 1

I wanna know your thoughts further.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Tue May-28-13 11:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "given that french folk turned out by the thousands"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-28-13 11:26 AM by SankofaII

to support a marriage equality amendement being made into law very recently, the fact that this movie AND Stranger By The Lake (an extremely explicit gay psychosexual thriller) are both getting crazy press...

I'm not surprised the movie won the prize at all. Plus, i hear it's just a very good movie..this *AND* Stranger By The Lake (though this is getting LOTS of controversy, folk seemed to love it at Cannes)

which means i'll be watching *BOTH* when they end up at my local indie theaters and/or Netflix if they don't come out here...

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86665 posts
Tue May-28-13 04:20 PM

11. "Stranger's responses were more mixed... but Blue was through the roof."
In response to Reply # 2

Mike D'Angelo posted a graphic that essentially indicated that this was the most high ranking consensus on a Cannes film in years. I can't wait to see it, literally for cinematic purposes, lol.

I think Stranger's two-pronged tale (sexually explicit character building, followed by tense thriller) made people more torn. Some liked one half more than the other, some vice versa.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

bwood
8608 posts
Tue May-28-13 04:22 PM

13. "*Gives the side eye*"
In response to Reply # 11

>I can't wait to see it, literally for cinematic
>purposes, lol.

Don't lie nigga...

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Wed May-29-13 12:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "RE: Stranger's responses were more mixed... but Blue was through the roo..."
In response to Reply # 11

>Mike D'Angelo posted a graphic that essentially indicated
>that this was the most high ranking consensus on a Cannes film
>in years. I can't wait to see it, literally for cinematic
>purposes, lol.
>
>I think Stranger's two-pronged tale (sexually explicit
>character building, followed by tense thriller) made people
>more torn. Some liked one half more than the other, some vice
>versa.

interesting...though BOTH will be *WAY BETTER* than half of the crap that comes out over here...

really, they probably will be.

Get Out the Room

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Tue May-28-13 11:36 AM

3. "THANK YOU BASED SPIELBERG"
In response to Reply # 0

_________________________________________________________________________________
A No Rough Stuff Type Deal

bwood
8608 posts
Tue May-28-13 11:45 AM

4. "^^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue May-28-13 11:57 AM by bwood

I swear I wanna see it for strictly cinematic purposes.

*EDIT* Both of those girls look good as fuck...

colonelk
Member since Dec 10th 2002
5058 posts
Wed May-29-13 12:23 AM

17. "you know Kate Capshaw was not pleased"
In response to Reply # 3

Spielberg sleeping on his sold gold couch when he got home from France.

--------

hell-below.com

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Tue May-28-13 01:55 PM

5. "damn, U.S. films looking like the Mets right now"
In response to Reply # 0

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

bwood
8608 posts
Tue May-28-13 02:00 PM

6. "Oh shit"
In response to Reply # 5

That was an A plus joke.

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Fri May-31-13 10:11 AM

25. "obvious or not, I never miss the chance to crack a Mets joke."
In response to Reply # 6

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

colonelk
5058 posts
Tue May-28-13 02:08 PM

7. "52-year-old men filming graphic teen girl sex"
In response to Reply # 0

European cinema finally returning to its roots.

--------

hell-below.com

bwood
8608 posts
Tue May-28-13 02:13 PM

8. "You niggas are on point with the jokes today."
In response to Reply # 7

I'm dying.

PlanetInfinite
Charter member
126185 posts
Tue May-28-13 02:39 PM

9. "shit."
In response to Reply # 7

i'm out.

Doronmonkflake
Member since Jan 10th 2007
11078 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 04:17 AM

34. "I will fight you for that avy. Dear Marthas Kent and Wayne."
In response to Reply # 9

Da bayball, babeh. (c) Charlie Kelly.

Frank Longo
86665 posts
Tue May-28-13 04:22 PM

12. "Dargis wrote a pretty nasty piece on the film underscoring that point."
In response to Reply # 7
Tue May-28-13 04:22 PM by Frank Longo

Most critics, male and female alike, rallied behind the film instead of Dargis, but I'll be interested to see what happens when the non-elite critical cinephiles get a hold of the film.

rdhull
Charter member
33126 posts
Tue May-28-13 07:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "RE: 52-year-old men filming graphic teen girl sex"
In response to Reply # 7

>European cinema finally returning to its roots.

Woody hoping the expatriotism finally gonna pay off

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Sat Jul-12-14 07:56 PM

42. "On fucking point"
In response to Reply # 7

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

will_5198
Charter member
63106 posts
Tue May-28-13 07:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "hopefully the distribution is solid."
In response to Reply # 0

"On the Road" was semi-around, but Sundance Selects made "Like Someone In Love" really hard to find in theaters.

--------

colonelk
5058 posts
Wed May-29-13 12:28 AM

18. "no joke"
In response to Reply # 14

Like Someone in Love only played in this brewpub theater up here.

Waiters taking drink orders while you watch a Kiarostami film? No thanks.

--------

hell-below.com

bwood
8608 posts
Wed May-29-13 09:33 AM

19. "I'm doing a Kickstarter for the American remake in 3D."
In response to Reply # 0

You know cause it has to be in 3D for Americans.

bloocollar
Member since Aug 14th 2008
18163 posts
Wed May-29-13 07:15 PM

20. "wait whaaaaaa???---"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-29-13 07:26 PM by bloocollar

graphic lesbian sex?

i need to see the cinematography on this one

edit: unsimulated? so....they were really fucking?

dude im looking for the bootleg now

edit 2: this from the Daily Beast

"An approximately 10-minute scene (although estimates of its length go as high as 20 minutes; I’m not sure that anyone has timed it with a stopwatch), that, in the parlance of the ever-tasteful Daily Mail “leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination”—and that Vulture praised for its “impressive scissoring”—has been the subject of extensive scrutiny."

impressive scissoring....

edit 3: damn i havent seen this film but already i love it

its pissing off feminists, which means its awesome

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/29/abdellatif-kechiche-s-palme-d-or-winner-blue-is-the-warmest-color-is-not-porn.html

bwood
8608 posts
Wed May-29-13 10:30 PM

21. "You always have A plus posts yo.nm"
In response to Reply # 20

Frank Longo
86665 posts
Thu May-30-13 01:30 AM

22. "Ehh, I wouldn't go THIS far."

>its pissing off feminists, which means its awesome
>
>http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/29/abdellatif-kechiche-s-palme-d-or-winner-blue-is-the-warmest-color-is-not-porn.html

Most of the female critics who saw it loved it. It's really just Dargis alone on her own out of the prominent female crit voices. I'd imagine most people "angry" haven't actually seen it.

It's been across the board one of the most acclaimed films from the festival in some time, really.

colonelk
5058 posts
Thu May-30-13 12:06 PM

23. "sorry to break your heart"

"Fake pussies."

http://www.craveonline.com/film/interviews/507231-cannes-roundtable-lea-seydoux

--------

hell-below.com

bwood
8608 posts
Fri May-31-13 09:38 AM

24. "Why you kill your dreams nigga?"
In response to Reply # 23

Why?

bloocollar
18163 posts
Fri May-31-13 03:11 PM

26. "thats dumb as shit--"
In response to Reply # 23

so we're going to put a realistic mold of your pussy over your pussy

WTF?!

Frank Longo
86665 posts
Fri May-31-13 04:40 PM

27. "Y'all don't mind fake breasts. I think you'll live."
In response to Reply # 26

lol

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Wed Oct-09-13 11:39 AM

28. "So 76 films are eligible for the Best Foreign Language Oscar."
In response to Reply # 0

This movie is not one of them, because it's opening in France a few days after the cutoff release date.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Be Less Sensitive.

bwood
8608 posts
Wed Oct-09-13 04:56 PM

29. "Read about that shit the yesterday. "
In response to Reply # 28

I smell a certain phobia in the air.

bwood
8608 posts
Fri Oct-11-13 07:54 PM

30. "After finding out Adele is only 19 making her 17 (or 16) when shooting....."
In response to Reply # 0

...I can't co-sign the sex scenes at all. At the time, I did enjoy them as both Adele and Lea are very beautiful women, but now that I got that shit in the back of my head...yea no...

With that said this is one of the best films of the year that shouldn't have been 3 hours and could've easily have parts of it trimmed. Like even though my colleagues disagree with me I think the movie should've ended at the cafe scene. Everything else to me felt extra. That's an easy 15 minutes gone after that cafe scene. Also, a few more trims here and there and you could easily have a 2 and a half or 2 and 15 minute film that would've been even better.

Adele and Lea absolutely kill it. Two of the best performances of the year. This is definitely my favorite foreign film of the year.

Depressing film about loneliness and heartbreak on 10/11/2013 Part 2 of 2.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Oct-25-13 07:48 PM

32. "FYI, the age of consent in France apparently is 16."
In response to Reply # 30
Fri Oct-25-13 07:58 PM by ZooTown74

I was/remain more alarmed by the flat-out war of words that seems to still be going on between the director and his two leads...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gotta hear both sides

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Oct-25-13 07:27 PM

31. "I dug it"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Oct-25-13 11:32 PM by ZooTown74

Honestly, the advertised Hot Lesbian Action (© Eric Bischoff) is a bit of a red herring for a 3-hour character study which tracks the journey of a young woman into a slightly (?) older woman... both Adele (which is also her name in the movie) and Lea were great, particularly in the final 90 minutes...

I was fascinated throughout... and wouldn't cut one frame.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gotta hear both sides

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Sat Oct-26-13 04:02 AM

33. "this and Stranger By The Lake"
In response to Reply # 31

>Honestly, the advertised Hot Lesbian Action (© Eric Bischoff)
>is a bit of a red herring for a 3-hour character study which
>tracks the journey of a young woman into a slightly (?) older
>woman... both Adele (which is also her name in the movie) and
>Lea were great, particularly in the final 90 minutes...
>

the other controversial French gay move are BOTH playing at the Three Rivers Film Festival out here and I intend o n getting tickets to both movies....

I can't wait to see both of them. But, Blue specifically given all the controversy and the director trashing BOTH stars it seems eery other day...

damn the director's douchebaggyness has been on FULL DISPLAY as of late when promoting this film.

Wild....

Get Out the Room

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41491 posts
Sun Dec-08-13 08:50 PM

35. ""
In response to Reply # 0

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Frank Longo
86665 posts
Mon Dec-09-13 01:07 AM

36. "Strong flick. Moves fast for a three hour character study."
In response to Reply # 0

I raced home and made pasta afterward, everyone who's seen it will know why.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sun Mar-09-14 04:59 PM

37. "it's good. that's it"
In response to Reply # 0

Knowing it was three hours long, I watched this in three one hour sittings (teaching and grad school take priority at this point). I guess now I can understand the critical hype and all, but in the end its just a good film. Nothing groundbreaking or even shocking.

Adčle Exarchopoulos does some great work in places in this film as our "protagonist" Adele, but it's at times its nothing more than two plus hours of tender lips and sad eyes faces trying to figure out the world. Very rarely does it seem like Adele is actually enjoying her life, even when it is in full bloom with Emma.

The sex scenes are over the top, borderline pederast-y, and simply pornographic. I understand Adele and Emma's bond is due to their intense sexual chemistry, but really their is porno is one wants to get off lesbian sex. It really did nothing to move the narrative forward and was compounded by the endless shots of Adele's great ass. Sure my "heteronormative male gaze" has no problems with objectification of the female body, but in terms of film aesthetics and plot/pacing its just comes off exploitative.

Also how much lens flare does one film need. I know it seems I really didn't like this movie, but I did, it was just a little too steeped in pathos and one-note emotionally.

lfresh
92696 posts
Sat Jul-12-14 07:59 PM

43. "And on point"
In response to Reply # 37

I liked it but
The male gushing is way too obvious for such a mediocre film
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

will_5198
Charter member
63106 posts
Sun Mar-23-14 08:47 PM

38. "best female performance in a half-decade."
In response to Reply # 0

its simplicity glides over (or ignores) provoking themes, the sex is gratuitous to a fault, and it could probably be shorter, but Adele's journey is so engrossing that I didn't even care. beautiful and painful, as the best coming-of-age stories should be.

--------

bloocollar
18163 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 10:40 AM

39. "oh yeah i saw this!--"
In response to Reply # 0

......actually i just saw the s*x scene

and yes its that good

went into the high rated fap folder

lfresh
92696 posts
Wed Mar-26-14 11:57 PM

40. "Yep"
In response to Reply # 0

You're a hypocrite
~~~~
~~~~

lfresh
92696 posts
Sat Jul-12-14 07:55 PM

41. "Eh overhyped "
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~
~~~~

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #651479 Previous topic | Next topic