Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #649052

Subject: "Anybody watching Syfy's Defiance?" Previous topic | Next topic
debo40oz
Member since Apr 16th 2003
4081 posts
Mon May-06-13 08:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anybody watching Syfy's Defiance?"

I checked the first 3 episodes over the weekend on demand. I think I am on board. It has a little bit of a firefly feeling.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I tried but I was bored and couldn't look at that chicks face anymore
May 06th 2013
yeah that look is a little rough on the eyes
May 06th 2013
i like it. it's got some interesting ish going on. intrigue and
May 07th 2013
the whole video game/axe sponsorship/production value
May 07th 2013
      oh, yeah. there's that. that's 3 vested interests in seeing this
May 07th 2013
saw the premiere
May 07th 2013
3 eps in, it's definitely getting better.
May 07th 2013
RE: Anybody watching Syfy's Defiance?
May 07th 2013
Jaime Murray is working for me
May 09th 2013
watched the premierre....wasn't impressive...didn't like the writing
May 07th 2013
Tangent: Anyone play the game?
May 08th 2013
I am not sure how it is for 360
May 09th 2013
drawing comparisons to firefly makes me want to watch it less
May 11th 2013
I don't think I want to like it unless I know it'll get another season
Jun 25th 2013
yes...i've lost interest though
Jun 25th 2013
almost finished Season 1 and it's the shit
Jul 12th 2014
Okay interest is back
Jul 26th 2014
this season definitely
Jul 28th 2014
Welp
Aug 29th 2014
It was so much darker this season. I LOVED it.
Aug 29th 2014
this show is the fucking TITS. i loved every minute of it.
Aug 31st 2014
i forget what happened to Nolan and Arissa
Aug 31st 2014
Dang it
Sep 01st 2014

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44844 posts
Mon May-06-13 09:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I tried but I was bored and couldn't look at that chicks face anymore"
In response to Reply # 0

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

debo40oz
4081 posts
Mon May-06-13 09:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "yeah that look is a little rough on the eyes"
In response to Reply # 1

but the british chick from dexter making up for it a little bit. I think the show has potential but it definately isn't there yet.

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Tue May-07-13 09:40 AM

3. "i like it. it's got some interesting ish going on. intrigue and "
In response to Reply # 0

back stories.

plus the production values are very high for tv and especially so for syfy channel.

i wanted to smack the shit out of the mayor for not womaning up last night but the show has been pretty dope.

i'm watching on some leap of faith shit b/c i could mess around and get invested and then it could get axed like Alphas.

its a good show, though. better than revolution (although i still watch that).

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
** i move away from the mic to breathe in

debo40oz
4081 posts
Tue May-07-13 11:57 AM

7. "the whole video game/axe sponsorship/production value"
In response to Reply # 3

makes me think that they are going to give this a fair shot to catch on. I never heard about it though except for some drunken convo on the porch with a friend who brought it up. so who knows. I didn't even know alphas was canned. I just watch that first season on netflix and dug it.

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Tue May-07-13 03:49 PM

8. "oh, yeah. there's that. that's 3 vested interests in seeing this "
In response to Reply # 7

succeed.

re: alphas, i was mad at that. i actually found out on it while watching Community 2 wks ago (wtf?) - somebody broke the news to abed, and we reacted about the same.

:-/

i'ma miss gary. he used to crack me up. especially his interplay w/ malik yoba (and i knew something was up b/c he now on some other regular ass show).

long as they don't fuck w/ Grimm. that's my shit. they have been moving it around, though.

but yeah, defiance is pretty dope. fan acceptance is i guess the biggest thing. but it seems, via the character development, plots, etc., that they have a long ways to go before exhausting the possibilities of the world they've created, unlike some shows that start off big and then kinda fizzle out b/c the writers paint themselves into a corner.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
** i move away from the mic to breathe in

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Tue May-07-13 10:29 AM

4. "saw the premiere"
In response to Reply # 0

havent gone back yet
i dunno

if they could dump that western feel...
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Tue May-07-13 10:40 AM

5. "3 eps in, it's definitely getting better. "
In response to Reply # 0

I can feel them settling into their groove.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Tue May-07-13 11:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "RE: Anybody watching Syfy's Defiance?"
In response to Reply # 0

>I checked the first 3 episodes over the weekend on demand. I
>think I am on board. It has a little bit of a firefly
>feeling.

its actually good. but, im not seeing how it has a bit of a firefly feeling though.

quite the opposite..it definitely doesn't (to me) and its quite original in that respect.

i'm not sure how I feel about Julie Benz and Grant Bowler, neither has really impressed me at all as actors. they work on this show, but...not 100% for me yet.

But, Mia Kirschner is always fun to watch in anything.

I dig it...

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu May-09-13 01:22 PM

11. "Jaime Murray is working for me"
In response to Reply # 6

wasnt sure why she seemed familiar
then i looked her up
yep
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

Ink_Spot
Member since Mar 26th 2004
2948 posts
Tue May-07-13 05:00 PM

9. "watched the premierre....wasn't impressive...didn't like the writing"
In response to Reply # 0

the special effects were bad too...will give it a second try at the end of the season....

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed May-08-13 08:38 PM

10. "Tangent: Anyone play the game?"
In response to Reply # 0

Just wondering how it ties into the show.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

debo40oz
4081 posts
Thu May-09-13 02:15 PM

12. "I am not sure how it is for 360"
In response to Reply # 10

not sure if I am going to getit or not

final_prospect82
Member since Mar 21st 2007
1358 posts
Sat May-11-13 03:24 PM

13. "drawing comparisons to firefly makes me want to watch it less"
In response to Reply # 0

happiness is a mediocre standard for a middle class existence - S. Williams

I don't not like you because you have dumb ideas about the world, I don't like you because you have other people's dumb ideas about the world. - Rjcc

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Jun-25-13 05:20 PM

14. "I don't think I want to like it unless I know it'll get another season"
In response to Reply # 0

There's a whole lot going on. Tons of little plot twists and shit. And keeping up with the races is a chore. I keep watching though. Last night's ep was really kinda dope in the reveal, except they killed old girl off, and she was definitely keeping my interest. Now all eyes are on the Dr. who is reall some twisted shit, but perhaps truly on the right side of things. But man if this shit ain't getting another season... fuck this show.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." Miles

lfresh
92696 posts
Tue Jun-25-13 06:22 PM

15. "yes...i've lost interest though"
In response to Reply # 0

i really dont care about any of these characters
~~~~
~~~~

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sat Jul-12-14 04:14 AM

16. "almost finished Season 1 and it's the shit"
In response to Reply # 0

who said the efx were bad?? shit is textured and epic in scope, on par with the mini sci fi tv renaissance we got with Firefly and BSG (in terms of both content and movie-level efx on a tv budget).

holy shit at the body count on this show man. just never know who's gonna make it til nxt ep.

i think ppl are reminded of Firefly's grit, mayhem, humour and sexuality. but the main comparison i'd throw at it is another classic sci fi show, Farscape. which incidentally is the only reason i even found out Defiance existed (whilst randomly reading Rockne S. O'Bannon's wiki last week).

i was hooked by the end of the pilot. shit's got legs, is currently in its 2nd season (which i hope to be caught up to by nxt week), and the creators have the show mapped out til at least season 4. pretty much anything can happen til then and i'll be watchin til it's done.

however i will not take any criticism toward my man Grant Bowler. dude was a regular on my tv screen growin up and always brought it (Grant's Aussie, he was a mainstay on Aussie tv here for years before he made his way to the States eventually). for some reason i think if they let him use his natural accent it would work a heckuva lot better for his character. i think that might hold him back sometimes but Grant's a solid actor, has been since the early 90s.

love the whole cast, actually. didn't REALLY expect the level of quality the show brings, but it does so i'll support.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

lfresh
92696 posts
Sat Jul-26-14 06:04 PM

17. "Okay interest is back"
In response to Reply # 0

Here I'll fess to zoo's point about laying groundwork
This is the series for it
Beginning to pay of...kinda
We'll see
~~~~
~~~~

madwriter
Charter member
12234 posts
Mon Jul-28-14 08:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "this season definitely "
In response to Reply # 17

paying off.

and the power pays between Datak and his wife great stuff.
Jamie Murray is killing it.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Aug-29-14 09:29 AM

19. "Welp"
In response to Reply # 0

The effects at the end were kinda wack, but man I loved Daytek and his wife this whole season. They really made it for me. Not sure if it's coming back. I mean yeah there's a whole bunch of possibility for it but, it really completed the cycle.

The ER mayor was wack as fuck. I mean just wack, nothing likable about dude, and it wasn't even fun rooting against him because you knew he was going to get away with shit.

I was into the interracial marriage bit up until the mom came home. The scene with the husband in the back and the girl just chilling was just so ho hum. Kinda care less what happens with that. Nolan did his thing. Can't really see them going anywhere without bringing him back.

Twas decent, but feel like it could have been better.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Fri Aug-29-14 02:12 PM

20. "It was so much darker this season. I LOVED it."
In response to Reply # 0

I feel like they turned the adult dial WAY up. I ain't seen the finale yet, can't wait.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sun Aug-31-14 10:55 AM

21. "this show is the fucking TITS. i loved every minute of it."
In response to Reply # 0

epic finale.
poor Tommy.
and poor anyone else who's died and seen their murderers not only set free, but protected.
Daytak and wifey are still the most compelling couple ive seen on TV since Tony and Carmella.
this totally needs a third season. they got it mapped out til at least #4. might as well let em make it.

anyone else love how they slipped in a "holy shit" via Tommy and then a "SHIT" from Nolan? SyFy lettin their balls hang or what? should've happened all season long considering all the amount of times i've seen characters cop it from behind or jerked off through a fence lol.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sun Aug-31-14 04:38 PM

22. "i forget what happened to Nolan and Arissa"
In response to Reply # 0

...but i remember i sorta enjoyed it...i liked last year's finale more but this was still good....

....i wish i understood more of what the mom is up too and why the son would listen.....

i felt bad for Tommy and Berlin....

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

lfresh
92696 posts
Mon Sep-01-14 10:57 AM

23. "Dang it"
In response to Reply # 0

Imma miss tommy

I think they have me for another season
~~~~
~~~~

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #649052 Previous topic | Next topic