Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #648987

Subject: "An Oversimplification of Her Beauty (Nance) 2013" Previous topic | Next topic
madwriter
Charter member
12234 posts
Sun May-05-13 04:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"An Oversimplification of Her Beauty (Nance) 2013"

Well it opened in theaters in limited release in New York last week and has been extended.

A movie like this is difficult to pull off since so much of the narrative has many elements that can throw a film off the rails including a constant voiceover/narrator, not completely linear, very meta and self-aware.

But Nance makes it work with a film that took more than 6 years to complete. IT blurs the line between fiction and documentary with a very strong voice. It's the voice to keeps everything together. There is noticeable difference in the DPs used at the begging and the end which isn't to bothersome since the best visuals come from the animated sequences.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
loved it
May 09th 2013
The movie ran 84 minutes.
Jun 03rd 2013
MUSICIAN AND PERFORMANCE ARTIST TERENCE NANCE CREATES A STIR WITH HIS UN...
May 29th 2013
Nigga looks like he needs a haircut and some gangsta rap nm
May 30th 2013
      LOFL, dyin'
May 31st 2013
      hey you're the mod, fix it
Jun 01st 2013
gotta check to see if this will be playing in LA
May 30th 2013
It's currently at Downtown Independent
May 30th 2013
      thanks my dude
May 31st 2013
An arty movie for youngins
Jun 03rd 2013
aside from the overly self-serious title
Jun 03rd 2013
Going to see this tonight.
Aug 14th 2013
So... I pretty much loved it.
Aug 15th 2013
DVD is out and the film is "out there"
Oct 04th 2013

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Thu May-09-13 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "loved it"
In response to Reply # 0

i suspected i would
fantastic work

ran a bit long but cant have a movie that long in art houses
the seats just arent comfortble
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 12:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "The movie ran 84 minutes."
In response to Reply # 1

>ran a bit long but cant have a movie that long in art houses

_____________________________________________________________________________________
A No Rough Stuff Type Deal

lfresh
92696 posts
Wed May-29-13 11:15 PM

2. "MUSICIAN AND PERFORMANCE ARTIST TERENCE NANCE CREATES A STIR WITH HIS UN..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.theaesthete.com/story/view.dT/the-intuitionist

THE INTUITIONIST
MUSICIAN AND PERFORMANCE ARTIST TERENCE NANCE CREATES A STIR WITH HIS UNCONVENTIONAL DEBUT FILM, AN OVERSIMPLIFICATION OF HER BEAUTY

by GRACE BELLO photography THEA GOLDBERG

Terence Nance isn’t a filmmaker; he’s an artist who makes films. The 30-year-old Dallas-born, Brooklyn-based auteur just got back from Los Angeles where his feature film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty premiered at the Downtown Independent. Prior to that, it was shown at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival, played at the Film Society of Lincoln Center in April, and appeared in over three-dozen film festivals. Not bad for someone who never went to film school.

“I HAD NO IDEA HOW TO WRITE A MOVIE SCREENPLAY—I HAD NEVER EVEN READ ONE AT THE TIME. MY MOST COMFORTABLE CREATIVE SPACE IS MAKING MUSIC AND PERFORMING."

“I had no idea how to write a movie screenplay—I had never even read one at the time,” says Nance while sitting on his stoop in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn. Thanks to his father, a musician and photographer, and his mother, an actress, he says, "My most comfortable creative space is making music and performing."

Nance, who earned his MFA at NYU, wrote, directed and starred in An Oversimplification of Her Beauty, a Brooklyn-based story that examines the would-be romance between him and his friend and creative collaborator Namik Minter. But unlike a typical romantic comedy with a linear narrative, he wrote the film in a form that was more familiar to him—in the structure of a song with a chorus and several verses.

The inventive, multimedia verses bring to mind Michel Gondry’s The Science of Sleep, as Nance uses watercolor, collage, stop-motion animation and other media to explore the story of his elusive romantic relationship. These techniques speak not only to Nance’s background as a trained fine artist, but also to the multitudes contained in the film’s characters and their ambivalent feelings for each other.

As for the chorus, he wrote it in one night: The scene shows Nance calling Minter because they were supposed to meet up but didn’t. "It was direct in this way that, hopefully, was unnerving,” Nance explains. “No filtration through metaphor, allegory or symbol."

“The movie is a lot about ambiguity, and it uses a romantically ambiguous situation as an allegory for a more general, all-encompassing ambiguity that, at the time, I felt kind of plagued by.”

Richly imagined and deeply felt, the film was originally intended just for Minter: “A movie made for an audience of one.” Instead, An Oversimplification of Her Beauty is an intricate love letter to Minter that, rather than sparking a romance, has ignited Nance’s career.

Though the film is intensely personal, it was by no means a solo effort. The hard work of producer James Bartlett brought the film to the attention of veteran hip-hop writer Dream Hampton, The Daily Show’s Wyatt Cenac and Jay-Z, who are all executive producers on the movie and helped with fundraising and promotion.

The artist also credits Brooklyn, where he has lived on and off since 2007, for inspiring him. He calls his local community the Swarm: eclectic, creative, culturally and socially conscious people of color and allies who are, like himself, postgrads originally from elsewhere.

“THE MOVIE IS A LOT ABOUT AMBIGUITY, AND IT USES A ROMANTICALLY AMBIGUOUS SITUATION AS AN ALLEGORY FOR A MORE GENERAL, ALL-ENCOMPASSING AMBIGUITY THAT, AT THE TIME, I FELT KIND OF PLAGUED BY.”
Does he ever worry that he’ll have to leave his community because it’s too expensive to live here? “It already is too expensive,” he says. “My view of money is, money is like water.” He glances to his right toward a new condo that recently sprang up and where one unit rents for $4,000 per month. “Some woman put a sign outside her window that said, ‘If you hang out outside of my window, I will release my pit bull on you.’ Clearly, she doesn’t understand the culture of the neighborhood,” he laughs.

And, as clearly, Nance is not interested in becoming the next big Hollywood director. Currently, he’s working on films with a broader scope but that still aren’t outright commercial projects. One, called The Lobbyist, tells the story of a con man and an ex-CIA agent who blackmail politicians into voting for progressive legislation. The other is a documentary on skin-whitening creams across the globe.

Through more collaborative work with Minter, Bartlett, artist and researcher Chanelle Pearson and support from the Swarm, he’s happy to continue on a more unusual path as an artist and filmmaker—not unlike Steve McQueen or Miranda July. “I don’t think about who I am really,” he says, peering down the row of brownstones. “It’s more just, ‘What am I making today?’”

~via
New York Magazine

http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/05/male-gaze-terence-nances-beautiful-mind.html?fb_action_ids=10101942121499749&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210101942121499749%22%3A356145527841305%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210101942121499749%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map

Male Gaze: Terence Nance’s Beautiful Mind
BY JULIE MA

According to writer Grace Bello at the Aesthete, Terence Nance "isn’t a filmmaker; he’s an artist who makes films." Before you find yourself rendered speechless by Nance's soulful eyes, light scruff, healthy head of hair, and the gorgeous way that dappled sunlight hits his bone structure, pinch yourself. This man is an artist (and romantic) — and while his external beauty may entice, he's also got a creative mind. The Dallas-born Nance just released his feature film, An Oversimplification of Her Beauty. Check out the trailer below, become captivated by the magical lull of his voice, and swoon forevermore.
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Thu May-30-13 05:19 PM

4. "Nigga looks like he needs a haircut and some gangsta rap nm"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu May-30-13 05:24 PM by ZooTown74

I'ma see the flick, but I'm just saying

Also, swiping the stuff in ALL CAPS IS FUCKING ANNOYING TO READ AND SERVES NO REAL PURPOSE

____________________________________________________________________________________

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Fri May-31-13 11:24 AM

7. "LOFL, dyin' "
In response to Reply # 4

lfresh
92696 posts
Sat Jun-01-13 08:20 PM

8. "hey you're the mod, fix it"
In response to Reply # 4

~~~~
~~~~

astralblak
20029 posts
Thu May-30-13 05:11 PM

3. "gotta check to see if this will be playing in LA "
In response to Reply # 0

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Thu May-30-13 05:26 PM

5. "It's currently at Downtown Independent "
In response to Reply # 3

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/producerevent/380886

___________________________________________________________________________________

astralblak
20029 posts
Fri May-31-13 11:18 AM

6. "thanks my dude"
In response to Reply # 5

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 12:57 AM

9. "An arty movie for youngins"
In response to Reply # 0

I actually thought it was well-executed and observed but couldn't really "relate" because I'm Roger Murtaugh and a lot of this is Games Young People Play

Nevertheless I liked the originality and style of it, the article says Nance put it together like a song and that makes sense, now that I think about it

Just don't go in expecting a straightforward story or "plot" and you should be fine

___________________________________________________________________________________

Fructose Soda
Member since Feb 19th 2012
2150 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 05:39 AM

11. "aside from the overly self-serious title"
In response to Reply # 9

the film has a lot of style. Very ambitious and experimental.
It repeats itself after the first point got acrossed, tho.
Overall, it felt very Brooklyn vegan/boho-ish.
Still, its cool that something different has been made by a Black filmmaker.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22101 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 01:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Going to see this tonight."
In response to Reply # 0

nm

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Hitokiri
Charter member
22101 posts
Thu Aug-15-13 02:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "So... I pretty much loved it."
In response to Reply # 12

Really good film. Very honest. Very funny. Very relatable.

--

Hitokiri
Charter member
22101 posts
Fri Oct-04-13 12:37 PM

14. "DVD is out and the film is "out there""
In response to Reply # 0

fyi

--

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #648987 Previous topic | Next topic