Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #647945

Subject: "As if you need ANOTHER amazing show to watch - Rectify (Sundance)" Previous topic | Next topic
jswerve386
Member since Jun 25th 2007
8979 posts
Tue Apr-23-13 10:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"As if you need ANOTHER amazing show to watch - Rectify (Sundance)"
Tue Apr-23-13 10:24 PM by jswerve386

Synopsis - Daniel Holden must put his life back together after serving 19 years on Georgia's Death Row before DNA evidence calls his conviction into question.

2 Episodes in and Im hooked (1st two episodes are on-demand)..

Excellently shot and acted..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2183404/?ref_=sr_1

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
help me out
Apr 23rd 2013
From the AV Club review
Apr 24th 2013
      this defintely helps
Apr 24th 2013
Off to a great start
Apr 24th 2013
Man that scene alone with his brother in law.....
May 01st 2013
RE: As if you need ANOTHER amazing show to watch - Rectify (Sundance)
Apr 24th 2013
This show is great.
Apr 30th 2013
Picked up for season 2.
May 01st 2013
its pretty damn good. i gotta get thru 3-6.
May 01st 2013
they released them all? where?
May 01st 2013
      your local visual medium site of ill repute.
May 02nd 2013
I'm all in. Props to AMC for airing episode 1
May 01st 2013
If you have Time Warner check On Demand..
May 01st 2013
DAAAAAAAAAYUM..
May 15th 2013
dude...
May 21st 2013
Damn, this is really good (spoiler possibly)
Jun 29th 2013
FYI, AMC is showing all 6 episodes starting this Sunday morning...
Jul 10th 2013
glad to hear about season 2 being picked up
Jul 10th 2013
sorry i slept so long.
Dec 09th 2013
Season 2 kicked off on Friday
Jun 23rd 2014
Aug 21st 2014
the finale left me with some white hot hate
Aug 25th 2014
UP cause Ray McKinnon is a fucking star
Nov 21st 2014
RE: As if you need ANOTHER amazing show to watch - Rectify (Sundance)
Jul 16th 2015

final_prospect82
Member since Mar 21st 2007
1358 posts
Tue Apr-23-13 10:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "help me out"
In response to Reply # 0

what would you compare this show to. both storyline stand point and tone.

I hope it's unlike any of the CBS dramas in tone

happiness is a mediocre standard for a middle class existence - S. Williams

I don't not like you because you have dumb ideas about the world, I don't like you because you have other people's dumb ideas about the world. - Rjcc

okaycomputer
Member since Dec 02nd 2002
8090 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 02:50 AM

3. "From the AV Club review"
In response to Reply # 1

"Rectify’s closest contemporary in tone and atmosphere is HBO’s recently departed Enlightened. The first two hours of the miniseries suggest that show’s creator, Mike White, integrating the Nicholas Brody component of first-season Homeland into the tight-knit American South of Justified, with a photographic assist from Terrence Malick"

final_prospect82
Member since Mar 21st 2007
1358 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 09:39 PM

4. "this defintely helps"
In response to Reply # 3

I'll give it a shot

happiness is a mediocre standard for a middle class existence - S. Williams

I don't not like you because you have dumb ideas about the world, I don't like you because you have other people's dumb ideas about the world. - Rjcc

okaycomputer
8090 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 02:45 AM

2. "Off to a great start"
In response to Reply # 0

A beautiful and riveting piece of work. A lot of the critics warned of it being slow, but I didn't feel that at all. Every time it felt in danger of going off the rails Daniel would break into one of his strange ramblings and I be sucked right back in.

A favorite was when he was speaking to his brother-in-law at the driving range. What Daniel was describing felt perfectly calculated yet completely innocent all at once.

I fear it may be too naval-gazing for some and the stuff that Daniel says and does borders on the edge of the ridiculous but, for me at least, never fell off the cliff. This was created by Ray McKinnon (Deadwood, Sons of Anarchy) and if you're familiar with his acting, you can feel it in the writing in a big way.

I can't wait for next week, one of the strongest debuts I've seen in some time.

Crucian1
Member since Oct 04th 2002
32178 posts
Wed May-01-13 05:57 PM

10. "Man that scene alone with his brother in law....."
In response to Reply # 2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You posting in a hoe's tone (c) monkeynuts

BLAKEY
Member since Jun 25th 2012
234 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 11:36 PM

5. "RE: As if you need ANOTHER amazing show to watch - Rectify (Sundance)"
In response to Reply # 0

Checked it out because of this post.
4 episodes deep and the best way to describe it is Homeland without any action.
I agree with the critics that its moving a bit too slow though and I have a great attention span. I did love the golf range scene, but everything else seems to be over developing a bit. I'm ready for the story to start moving.

okaycomputer
8090 posts
Tue Apr-30-13 07:54 PM

6. "This show is great."
In response to Reply # 0

Watch it.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed May-01-13 12:51 PM

7. "Picked up for season 2."
In response to Reply # 0

Now I'll have to check it out.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

themaddfapper
Member since Mar 09th 2010
7558 posts
Wed May-01-13 01:19 PM

8. "its pretty damn good. i gotta get thru 3-6."
In response to Reply # 0

Crucian1
32178 posts
Wed May-01-13 05:57 PM

11. "they released them all? where?"
In response to Reply # 8

themaddfapper
Member since Mar 09th 2010
7558 posts
Thu May-02-13 02:01 AM

13. "your local visual medium site of ill repute."
In response to Reply # 11

Crucian1
32178 posts
Wed May-01-13 05:55 PM

9. "I'm all in. Props to AMC for airing episode 1 "
In response to Reply # 0

I don't have sundance channel but saw they put the full 2 hour pilot up on the sundance site. Hopefully they post the others.

I've seen the 2 hour pilot and episode 3 and I'm all in. Wish it were on AMC instead of the Killing that show is dead to me.

jswerve386
8979 posts
Wed May-01-13 10:12 PM

12. "If you have Time Warner check On Demand.. "
In response to Reply # 9

Its up under Sundance in the "free Movies"

I dont have the BIO channel yet get all of their On Demand stuff for some reason.. go figure.

jswerve386
8979 posts
Wed May-15-13 12:03 AM

14. "DAAAAAAAAAYUM.. "
In response to Reply # 0

Daniel went and murdered his brother-in-law.

al_sharp
Charter member
64140 posts
Tue May-21-13 01:17 PM

15. "dude..."
In response to Reply # 0

the finale gave me more feels than i've felt in a long long time.

jesus christ.

what a fucking show.

http://theyesyesyalls.com
http://facebook.com/theyesyesyalls
http://reverbnation.com/theyesyesyalls
http://shamelessplug.bandcamp.com
http://twitter.com/shamelessplug

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Sat Jun-29-13 12:34 PM

16. "Damn, this is really good (spoiler possibly)"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought the 1st episode was a bit slow, but it picked up with each subsequent episode. Some of the scenes that I really liked: Daniel and Ted Jr. at the driving range, Daniel and Tawney's discussion before his baptism (the cinematography was stunning), Daniel with the goat man, Daniel choking out Ted Jr. and when Ted wakes up, and the many scenes between Daniel and Kerwin.

Interesting tidbit from wikipedia, Walton Goggins was originally going to play Daniel when this was first being developed by AMC in 2008.

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 11:54 AM

17. "FYI, AMC is showing all 6 episodes starting this Sunday morning..."
In response to Reply # 0

DVR is set

LES
Member since Oct 17th 2006
4533 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 12:23 PM

18. "glad to hear about season 2 being picked up"
In response to Reply # 0

that finale upset me

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Mon Dec-09-13 11:11 PM

19. "sorry i slept so long."
In response to Reply # 0

this show is amazing. episode 5 is one of the best hours of tv this year. hell of a finale. can't wait for season 2.

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon Jun-23-14 02:11 AM

20. "Season 2 kicked off on Friday"
In response to Reply # 0

Snuck past me. Thought it was kicking off in July.

I could have used a previously on because I couldn't remember where we left off (totally forgot about the beat down).

Another great, slow episode. Honestly, I like the stuff without Daniel the most. The Sheriff's story seems like it could be particularly interesting this season. Hopefully, the final scene will have Daniel being at least a little less awkward. Obviously it's still going to be a transition but I thought they could have made him a little less shell-shocked. But, again, I get why he was.

Glad to have another quality show to check in on. This summer is pretty thin.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Thu Aug-21-14 10:25 PM

21. ""
In response to Reply # 0

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/rectify-renewed-season-3-sundancetv-1201285904/

‘Rectify’ Renewed for Season 3 by SundanceTV
Laura Prudom
News Editor
AUGUST 19, 2014 | 06:46AM PT

SundanceTV has renewed “Rectify” for season three, the cabler announced Tuesday. The third season will debut in 2015. An official episode order has yet to be announced, but season one spanned six episodes, while the currently-airing season two was expanded to ten installments.

“‘Rectify’ has evolved into a show much loved by critics and fans. As SundanceTV’s first scripted series, it’s gratifying to see such distinctive and unusual storytelling embraced with such passion. Ray McKinnon is a true television auteur, and we can’t wait to see where he takes us next,” said Sarah Barnett, SundanceTV President.

“Rectify” is created and written by Ray McKinnon, and executive produced by Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein. The series stars Aden Young, Abigail Spencer, J. Smith Cameron, Luke Kirby, Clayne Crawford, Adelaide Clemens and Jake Austin Walker.

The show tells the story of Daniel Holden (Young) who is released after serving nearly 20 years in complete isolation on death row, as he returns as an outsider to his family, to his community, and to the times. Somehow, he survived the mental and emotional strain of his imprisonment, but now the walls have suddenly come crumbling down and Daniel is set free in a world he no longer understands. Daniel’s unexpected presence not only throws his family into disarray, it ripples out to all the people connected to his case – the prosecutor who rode the notoriety to become a State Senator, the Sheriff who pushed the boundaries of the investigation, and the entire town of Paulie, GA, that blamed him for killing one of their own. Like a deadly spark, Daniel’s release reignites the mystery, the power plays, and the questionable justice that condemned him.

“Rectify’s” season two finale will air on Thursday, Aug. 21 at 9 p.m. on SundanceTV.

LES
Member since Oct 17th 2006
4533 posts
Mon Aug-25-14 10:33 AM

22. "the finale left me with some white hot hate"
In response to Reply # 0

Daniel retelling what happened finally was chilling. the criminal justice system real and fictional is some bs. the music for the entire final act was spot on.

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Fri Nov-21-14 04:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "UP cause Ray McKinnon is a fucking star"
In response to Reply # 0

I had watched the pilot when it first went up on Netflix last year, but forgot about it. I was caught in a blizzard yesterday and burned through all of season 1 and the first ep of season 2. I am HOOKED.

I loved Ray McKinnon since his Deadwood days, and put up with Sons of Anarchy when I found out he was on. Every time Daniel talks I picture Ray doing it. As someone above noted, Ray's acting style and distant tone is definitely painted heavily on Daniel.

I read somewhere that Walton Goggins (ray's longtime collaborator) was supposed to play Daniel but then his one-off Justified pilot got picked up and we all know what happened with Justified/Goggins. I honestly can't picture Goggins in the role of Daniel having seen what masterful work Aden Young has done. Actually...if it had been Goggins all along, I could have gotten behind that. He's that talented.

The guy who plays Teddy is obviously a really fucking great cast, because I hate that guy with a passion.

I find Abigail Spencer to be good in the part, but her choices can get a little bit over the top at times.

I love the casting all around, but the real breakout for me is the girl that plays Tawny. That character could so easily be annoying and stereotypically bible-thumpery, but Adelaide whatsherface plays her with such grace and subtlety. I'm not even into her, but she is honestly like a painting. She's beautiful. How is she not an indie-star. Is she? I'll google after I hit submit.

Anyway, I'm sure i'll burn through the rest of season 2 by next week, and I'm so excited to. I kept thinking "I hope Ray shows up at some point" but the fact that he hasn't shows just how talented this dude is. His voice and skill is painted all over this series. It's like he's there without ever being seen.

A beautiful show.

If I could compare it to anything...Six Feet Under. The way it makes me feel is very reminiscent of the feelings Six Feet Under used to elicit in me.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

funklectic
Member since May 04th 2005
471 posts
Thu Jul-16-15 09:17 AM

24. "RE: As if you need ANOTHER amazing show to watch - Rectify (Sundance)"
In response to Reply # 0

Nearly 3 episodes into season 3 and no post?

This series is beautiful. Y'all need to be watching.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #647945 Previous topic | Next topic