Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #645432

Subject: "Tyler Perry's Temptation (Tyler Dogg, 2013)" Previous topic | Next topic
Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Fri Mar-29-13 01:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tyler Perry's Temptation (Tyler Dogg, 2013)"
Fri Mar-29-13 01:23 PM by Basaglia

NOPE! anchor. it's a new release. i'm bout to see it. we gon talk about it. it count. anchor.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Tyler Perry's Temptation (Tyler Dogg, 2013)
Mar 29th 2013
Damn spoilers homie
Mar 30th 2013
      That is not a hustle to be respected, unless you are purely
Mar 30th 2013
           i don't feel foisting upon. and if you don't see hit shit, how can you?
Mar 30th 2013
           pretty much all of the above
Mar 30th 2013
                I don't have a problem not seeing Tyler Perry pictures
Mar 30th 2013
                     muhfucka, NO ONE in this thread asked WHY you ain't see his shit.
Mar 30th 2013
                          lol unprompted. It's a shame you had to bring GD level trolling
Apr 01st 2013
                               all you gotta do is NOT say anything.
Apr 01st 2013
                                    No.
Apr 02nd 2013
           Agreed.
Mar 31st 2013
A powerful, visually breathtaking essay on the dangers of adultery
Mar 30th 2013
girl, bye.
Mar 30th 2013
LOL
Mar 30th 2013
Tyler beating Twilight
Mar 30th 2013
lofl. awesome
Mar 30th 2013
Temptation was Dope - One of Tyler Perry's Better Films
Mar 31st 2013
i liked your comments
Mar 31st 2013
RE;There is absolutely nothing christian about Tyler Perry or any
Mar 31st 2013
wat
Apr 01st 2013
nigga bye with that generalizing and assuming...
Apr 03rd 2013
      lmao
Apr 03rd 2013
      RE:Tyler Perry movie= updated Good Times
Apr 07th 2013
           that is highly unprompted Good Times slander.
Apr 25th 2013
Question: how can you have a great film with one-dimensional characters
Apr 01st 2013
RE: Question: how can you have a great film with one-dimensional charact...
Apr 02nd 2013
Not All The Characters in "The Family That Preys" are One Dimensional
Apr 05th 2013
      Oh yes they are.
Apr 05th 2013
You are giving Tyler Perry too much credit
Apr 02nd 2013
      There are Some Powerful Moments That Speak to the Heart in Tyler Perry's...
Apr 05th 2013
           RE: There are Some Powerful Moments That Speak to the Heart in Tyler Per...
Apr 05th 2013
           RE: There are Some Powerful Moments That Speak to the Heart in Tyler Per...
Apr 06th 2013
Ha!
Mar 31st 2013
My observation:
Mar 31st 2013
"That's not makeup. That's makedown."
Apr 01st 2013
not good. n/m
Apr 04th 2013
lol
Apr 08th 2013
He should be ashamed of himself.
Apr 07th 2013
Highly ashamed. Most socially irresponsible film I've seen
Apr 25th 2013
RE: Tyler Perry's Temptation (Tyler Dogg, 2013)
Apr 24th 2013
LMAO!!!
Apr 25th 2013
is it predictable? YEP but is it entertaining and thought provoking?
Jul 13th 2013
if you think that film is "thought provoking"
Jul 13th 2013
      stop attacking everything you don't like
Jul 13th 2013
           It's a message board, man.
Jul 13th 2013
           LOL...i knew someone would use that tired cliche...
Jul 13th 2013
                It's not a cliche. It's just the truth.
Jul 13th 2013
                     so you're trolling and throwing insults....i'm SO surprised
Jul 13th 2013
                          Nigga, nobody insulted you.
Jul 13th 2013
                               calm down lilnick....
Jul 14th 2013
                               Don't worry, nigga. You didn't hurt anything.
Jul 14th 2013
                                    glad to hear it ....LOL
Jul 14th 2013
                               he wasn't insulted. he was condecended to, and that's probably worse.
Jul 14th 2013
                                    Oh no. Not condescension!?
Jul 14th 2013
                                         party on, nick
Jul 14th 2013
           I'm sorry, but no. This is different than just "I don't like it"
Jul 13th 2013
                i never took HIV as a "curse from God", from this flick
Jul 14th 2013
                HIV as a curse from God is the entire fucking point of the story
Jul 14th 2013
                     HIV ISN'T the whole point of the movie homie...
Jul 14th 2013
                          The point of the movie is marriage fidelity, "temptation", blah blah bla...
Jul 14th 2013
                               lol damn yall really mad about this one huh??
Jul 14th 2013
                really? how's that? you merely saying it is doesn't really prove this.
Jul 14th 2013
                     *pats head*
Jul 14th 2013
Why were Judith and Brice the only ones who aged?
Jul 13th 2013
LMAO!!!! tyler dogg is a genius!!! he got people thinking...lmao!
Jul 14th 2013

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Fri Mar-29-13 03:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Tyler Perry's Temptation (Tyler Dogg, 2013)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/film-review-tyler-perrys-temptation-confessions-of-a-marriage-counselor-1200330836/

Film Review: ‘Tyler Perry’s Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor’

03.29.13 | 11:06AM PT
Perry's latest offers a sluggish, relentlessly downbeat portrait of a young couple in crisis
Scott Foundas

The devil is in the details — or perhaps under the bed sheets — in “Tyler Perry’s Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor,” a ludicrous marital drama-cum-morality play from contemporary black cinema’s most prolific multihyphenate. Significantly lacking in star wattage (including Perry’s own), this sluggish, relentlessly downbeat portrait of a young couple in crisis should play well to Perry’s fanbase, but won’t draw anywhere near Madea-sized crowds at a very competitive Easter box office.

Like many of Perry’s films, this one originated as a stage play, though judging from the evidence onscreen, it’s hard to imagine it playing very far outside the dinner-theater circuit. Framed as the titular “confession,” related by a marriage counselor to her latest client, “Temptation” introduces childhood sweethearts Judith (Jurnee Smollett-Bell) and Brice (Lance Gross), married for several years and living in Washington, D.C., where Brice works as a pharmacist in a small family drugstore (run by Yiddishe Momme Renee Taylor, whom some may initially mistake for Perry himself in whiteface and drag).

Judith, meanwhile, holds one of the more fanciful jobs in recent movie memory: “inhouse therapist” for Janice (Vanessa Williams), a high-end matchmaker with a Pepe Le Pew accent and a devoted minion (Kim Kardashian) whose primary responsibility seems to be castigating Judith for her sensible shoes and discount-store couture. (“Is your fashion icon Delta stewardess?”)

As if credibility were not already stretched to the breaking point, it soon emerges that, for all her supposed insight into relationship compatibility, Judith is a nice Christian girl who’s never been with any man except Brice. Which makes her the perfect catnip for Harley (Robbie Jones), a social-media billionaire who comes calling ostensibly to invest in Janice’s company, but quickly makes a bigger bid to get Judith into the sack.

From there, “Temptation” takes a sharp right turn toward the smugly moralistic. Harley isn’t just a snake in Judith’s middle-class Eden. With his Internet billions, he promises to set her up in the private marriage counseling practice she’s always dreamed of, proves chivalrous (nearly pummeling a cyclist who accidentally runs into Judith in a park) where Brice is cowardly, takes her for rides in his Ferrari and Rolls, and eventually entreats her on to his private plane — a one-way ticket to the Mile High Club. But fret not: Like a subsequent bathroom tryst cloaked in enough steam for a three-alarm blaze, this encounter has been skillfully designed not to offend Perry’s churchgoing base or endanger his PG-13 rating.

Love of money is the root of all evil, don’t we know, because the Bible says so and because the notion of Judith being tempted by a rich guy who isn’t also a total asshole would be far too complex for Perry’s reductive universe. So, having attained his prize, Harley stands revealed as a sadistic bully luring Judith into a decadent underworld of very bad behavior (evidenced by a throbbing techno rave party that’s like Perry’s answer to the masked ball from “Eyes Wide Shut”).

In the interest of padding the running time to nearly a full two hours, Perry also adds a second woman-in-distress subplot involving a mysterious new pharmacy assistant (Brandy Norwood) on the run from something — or someone — in her troubled past. Less mysterious is the true identity of the film’s unnamed narrator, who leaves the listener of her story suitably traumatized, but with no clear moral to take away, save perhaps: Listen to your mother and you won’t end up getting divorced, or getting an STD, or both.

Perry previously took on the subjects of marriage, infidelity and the hard work of sustaining relationships with far more nuance in his 2007 dramedy “Why Did I Get Married?,” in which the characters were reasonably three-dimensional and had some semblance of inner lives. Here, they’re mere puppets on Perry’s strings, and impossible roles for the actors. Gross, in particular, spends most of the movie projecting all the assertiveness of a teacup chihuahua, only to finally rise to the occasion when the script needs him to, his dearly beloved poised on the threshold of damnation. What more, really, can one say about a movie in which Kim Kardashian is the single most believable thing on screen?

Consistent with most of Perry’s films, craft contributions are adequate but undistinguished, with occasional overhead shots of metro D.C. adding a dollop of location flavor to otherwise obvious Georgia soundstage shooting.

Tyler Perry’s Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor

Reviewed at AMC Empire 25, New York, March 28, 2013. MPAA Rating: PG-13. Running time: 111 MIN.

A Lionsgate release presented with TPS of a TPS/Lionsgate production. Produced by Tyler Perry, Ozzie Areu, Paul Hall. Executive producers, Michael Paseornek, Mike Upton.

Directed, written by Tyler Perry, based on his stage play “The Marriage Counselor.” Camera (Deluxe color, HD, widescreen), Alexander Gruszynski; editor, Maysie Hoy; music, Aaron Zigman; music supervisor, Joel C. High; production designer, Eloise C. Stammerjohn; art director, Gentry L. Akens, II; set decorator, Dane Moore; costume designer, Johnetta Boone; sound (Dolby Digital/Datasat), Chris Durfy; re-recording mixers, Joe Barnett, Marshall Garlington; assistant director, Chip Signore; second unit director, Paul Hall; casting, Kim Taylor-Coleman.

Cast: Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Lance Gross, Kim Kardashian, Vanessa Williams, Robbie Jones, Renee Taylor, Ella Joyce, Brandy Norwood.

IceburgSmurf
Member since May 17th 2008
4724 posts
Sat Mar-30-13 07:05 AM

2. "Damn spoilers homie"
In response to Reply # 1

I mean if i ever planned to watch this (i don't) all the drama would be ruined.

Even though i've never watched a TP film you have to respect his hustle it seems he writes and directs a new one every 9months

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sat Mar-30-13 11:45 AM

4. "That is not a hustle to be respected, unless you are purely"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat Mar-30-13 11:46 AM by b.Touch

a money person. The fact that he turns out a picture every 6 months is _exactly_ what is wrong with his work.

Maybe if he took 12 to 18 months a film, and took the time to polish those scripts, he wouldn't be foisting so much bullshit onto folks.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Sat Mar-30-13 11:54 AM

6. "i don't feel foisting upon. and if you don't see hit shit, how can you?"
In response to Reply # 4

do niggas feel FOISTED upon when soderbergh releases two films within a year. so, NIGGAS SKIP THAT SHIT and KIM.

stop whining.

IceburgSmurf
Member since May 17th 2008
4724 posts
Sat Mar-30-13 04:26 PM

9. "pretty much all of the above"
In response to Reply # 6

nobody's getting marched at gunpoint to watch this stuff and if you feel harassed by adverts maybe you need to question the media sites/shows/channels you frequent.

and yeah i meant from a money point of view to respecting his hustle cos like i said i have no interest in watching his work

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sat Mar-30-13 04:43 PM

10. "I don't have a problem not seeing Tyler Perry pictures"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat Mar-30-13 04:43 PM by b.Touch

I have a problem when people say dumb shit when I say _why_ I'm not going to see them.

I also feel he's complicit in keeping black cinema in a ghetto of poorlyade, cheap films (on the "lead by example") ticket, but we've already had that discussion as nauseum. I'm crossing my fingers for DeVon Franklin & Tim Story to improve upon "Think Like a Man" over at Sony.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Sat Mar-30-13 06:35 PM

11. "muhfucka, NO ONE in this thread asked WHY you ain't see his shit. "
In response to Reply # 10

FOH with that tired ass excuse. that's what ALL you lame ass tyler-critics say because you can't just own up to the fact that your hate is unprompted. you just wanna hate and be mad. but, you can't admit to that because it makes you look stupid and petty.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 10:19 AM

21. "lol unprompted. It's a shame you had to bring GD level trolling"
In response to Reply # 11

into this board.

When Tyler Perry makes a good picture, I'll be the first to give him praise for it.

Heck, I thought "Madea's Big Happy Family" by & large worked for what it was, primarily because it didn't try so hard to be over-melodramatic (except for about a three minute stretch at the end of act 2 that essentially constitutes a partial remake of "Imitation of Life").

Basaglia
49463 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 11:06 AM

22. "all you gotta do is NOT say anything. "
In response to Reply # 21

how many times can you say you don't wanna his stuff and you don't see his stuff and then talk about how bad his stuff is?

we get it. now leave and let us party of that $22 mil opening.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Tue Apr-02-13 05:25 PM

26. "No."
In response to Reply # 22

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Sun Mar-31-13 07:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Agreed."
In response to Reply # 4

>>Maybe if he took 12 to 18 months a film, and took the time to
>polish those scripts, he wouldn't be foisting so much bullshit
>onto folks.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oooo baby I like it raw. Oooo baby I like it RAAAW!(c)ODB- Shimmy Shimmy Ya

Basaglia
49463 posts
Sat Mar-30-13 09:21 AM

3. "A powerful, visually breathtaking essay on the dangers of adultery"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Mar-30-13 09:22 AM by Basaglia

Not since Adrian Lyne's Fatal Attraction has a film so deftly illustrated how disloyalty and immorality can--and will--destroy lives. Tyler Dogg has crafted a piece of art which will undoubtedly push young black filmmakers to raise their games and stop trying to make muhfuckin Soul Food and Love Jones over and over again. FUCK YO SOUNDTRACK, NIGGA!

Or maybe it won't. Maybe it will change nothing and inspire no one. In fact, it'll prolly just make a lotta money, entertain its intended audience, make haters mad and reinforce the misguided whining of Generation Blame-Tyler Dogg.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sat Mar-30-13 11:46 AM

5. "girl, bye."
In response to Reply # 3

Eph
Member since Feb 15th 2013
155 posts
Sat Mar-30-13 12:36 PM

7. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 3

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Sat Mar-30-13 02:33 PM

8. "Tyler beating Twilight"
In response to Reply # 3

Well, the author of Twilight.

9.4 million on Friday.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sat Mar-30-13 09:43 PM

12. "lofl. awesome"
In response to Reply # 3

i'm going with my lady to see this tomorrow

J-Elijah
Member since Dec 09th 2009
260 posts
Sun Mar-31-13 02:11 AM

13. "Temptation was Dope - One of Tyler Perry's Better Films"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun Mar-31-13 02:31 AM by J-Elijah

Being a supporter of both Spike Lee & Tyler Perry, I would have to say the main problem I've had with Tyler's films is the constant need to mix serious drama or tragedy with farce/comedy. That's what bothered me the most about "Madea Goes to Jail" - Tyler's most commercially successful film grossing over $90 Million at the box office. The scene in which two powerful actors - future Oscar Nominee Viola Davis (The Help) talks to Derek Luke's (Antwone Fisher) character about the guilt he has carried for years due to the past rape of his friend brought laughter from the audience when it should have brought tears with Derek Luke's tears. The laughter came from Madea being thrown into the mix. Serious, heart wrenching moments are constantly interrupted by Madea.

Now, with "Tyler Perry's Temptation" mockery, farce, & Madea have been completely removed, replaced by compelling story making with a thought provoking message. The quality of this film is on the level of "The Family That Preys" which was a great film whose only weakness was one dimensional characters that should have been fleshed out more. "Temptation" is better than that film because Tyler has done a great job with this script featuring three dimensional well rounded characters. The 3 primary characters of the film, the husband, the wife, & the guy who brings the temptation, are neither all good nor all bad, but a mixture of both.

"Scandal" is one of the best shows on tv, but it has almost glamorized adultery & seduction. In conversations with some of my peers and my generation, I have come to realize that adultery is much more common than we think. It is not frowned upon, but some think that it's nothing wrong to sleep with someone's husband or someone's wife. When I mentioned to one of my friends about my attraction to a married woman, they were like, you should get that. I mentioned that I would never disrespect this woman, I respect her marriage, I'm a Christian. My friend was like, so what. "Temptation" is not as exaggerated as Idris Elba's "Obsessed" or "Fatal Attraction"; it's actually more realistic than those films, and I'm sure many of us can relate to it. This film deals with how powerful & how destructive seduction can really be. Hopefully, "Temptation" will be a warning to those faced with adultery that choices have consequences, now or later.

forgivenphoenix
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2514 posts
Sun Mar-31-13 05:20 PM

17. "i liked your comments"
In response to Reply # 13

your take on one of Perry's weaknesses as a filmmaker - conveying genuine drama - is spot on. I've seen a few of Perry's movies, but I usually want to feel more genuine connection to the themes in the stories or to the humanity of the characters.

My issue with Perry is that he isn't the auteur Spike Lee is, even if Tyler Perry's movies are probably better in terms of basic storytelling in a more traditional sense of story. I find myself appreciating a filmmakers use of style and technique just as much if not more than the substance of their stories. I think I would enjoy Perry's tastes and stories more if he had someone else direct them. The settings and themes in his movies are heart-warming and refreshing since there aren't any movies in Hollywood that deal with issues relating to Black culture. That being said, I would like to see those themes in movies that are better made.

http://www.twitter.com/chriscjamison/

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Sun Mar-31-13 11:07 PM

18. "RE;There is absolutely nothing christian about Tyler Perry or any "

of his films.
It is a shame people still can't see that. All of his films(i have watched some) are simplistic feel good flicks. Nothing thought provoking. Most black people can't handle no thought provoking subject matter no way. I am not offended by him or his work. He does give black aciors that don't get a lot of other opportunities a chance to show their talent and be seen by a large audience.

Tyler perry will run his course trust me. Mostly church hoes go to see his films. No man can keep any ho's attention for long.
lol

Bliss

b.Touch
20514 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 10:14 AM

19. "wat"
In response to Reply # 18

>Most black people can't handle no thought
>provoking subject matter no way.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Wed Apr-03-13 01:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
27. "nigga bye with that generalizing and assuming..."
In response to Reply # 18

*YOU* can't handle thought provoking subject matter.

don't speak for me or any other black person who MORE than handles thought provoking subject matter in *ANY* medium: visual or not.

SMH dusty ass...I swear.

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

Basaglia
49463 posts
Wed Apr-03-13 03:37 PM

28. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 27

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Sun Apr-07-13 02:02 PM

36. "RE:Tyler Perry movie= updated Good Times"
In response to Reply # 27

Go back and read post 13. What Elijah wrote in the first paragraph PROVES MY POINT.

Everytime there is a scene in his film in which there should be a more serious tone you get some laughter thrown in. That means that any serious theme in his film is neutralized. That is his formula he would not have a large black audience if he was not dumbing down his films.
His movies are the updated version of Good Times. I have watched some of his shit but i don't take it that seriously. Have not seen his last couple of flicks and probably wont. Just done gotten tired of it.

DON'T YOU KNOW ME BY NOW. Shit i keep it 1000%.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 08:03 AM

40. "that is highly unprompted Good Times slander."
In response to Reply # 36

moreover, a feature film shouldn't look or feel like a sitcom.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 10:15 AM

20. "Question: how can you have a great film with one-dimensional characters"

lacking some sort of significant aesthetic or technical prowess in the filmmaking?

TruOne
Member since Jun 29th 2002
14276 posts
Tue Apr-02-13 09:47 AM

25. "RE: Question: how can you have a great film with one-dimensional charact..."
In response to Reply # 20

^^^^

- - - Begin Sig. - - -

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'" ~ ~ Anne Radmacher

J-Elijah
260 posts
Fri Apr-05-13 12:19 AM

30. "Not All The Characters in "The Family That Preys" are One Dimensional"
In response to Reply # 20
Fri Apr-05-13 12:31 AM by J-Elijah

The problem I have with "The Family That Preys" is that there are 2 movies in one, and one is better than the other. The story about the lifelong friendship between Alice Evans (Alfre Woodard) and Charlotte Cartwright (Kathy Bates), who is developing Alzheimer's, was very compelling & powerful. That could have been a whole movie by itself & should have been because it was the more interesting story.

I had a problem with the main character Andrea (Sanaa Lathan) because I felt she was written as one dimensional; Andrea had no redeeming qualities. She hated her husband Chris Bennett (Rockmond Dunbar) and she has an affair with her caucasian boss who completely disrespects and mistreats her. It is clear that Andrea & Chris come from 2 different economic classes & they are headed in 2 different directions, but why did Andrea marry Chris in the first place? If Andrea is a golddigger, why didn't she marry someone with money? They seemed to have no chemistry. Andrea was the villain, but she was all evil, she hated her husband, & disliked her sister & mother. When Chris slaps Andrea across the face at the end of the movie, the audience clapped. Tyler should have balanced Andrea's character out making her more realistic so that the audience would understand how she got to be so coldhearted so we could have some compassion for her. Her sister Pam (Taraji Henson) was a more multi-dimensional character; though she has some flaws, she still has a healthy, loving relationship with her husband.

Tyler definitely improved with "Temptation" because when the main character Judith (Jurnee Smollett-Bell) has an extra-marital affair, you have some compassion for her, because she tries to resist being seduced as hard as she can, but her husband takes her for granted making major mistakes in their relationship, while this other guy appreciates her so much more.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Fri Apr-05-13 08:33 AM

32. "Oh yes they are."
In response to Reply # 30

>The problem I have with "The Family That Preys" is that there
>are 2 movies in one, and one is better than the other. The
>story about the lifelong friendship between Alice Evans (Alfre
>Woodard) and Charlotte Cartwright (Kathy Bates), who is
>developing Alzheimer's, was very compelling & powerful. That
>could have been a whole movie by itself & should have been
>because it was the more interesting story.

I didn't buy it, I thought the way the Alfre Woodard character reacted ot everything the exact same way was cheap and annoying. And I had not ounce of sympathy for Kathy Bates' character or her condition.

>
>I had a problem with the main character Andrea (Sanaa Lathan)
>because I felt she was written as one dimensional; Andrea had
>no redeeming qualities. She hated her husband Chris Bennett
>(Rockmond Dunbar) and she has an affair with her caucasian
>boss who completely disrespects and mistreats her. It is clear
>that Andrea & Chris come from 2 different economic classes &
>they are headed in 2 different directions, but why did Andrea
>marry Chris in the first place? If Andrea is a golddigger, why
>didn't she marry someone with money? They seemed to have no
>chemistry. Andrea was the villain, but she was all evil, she
>hated her husband, & disliked her sister & mother. When Chris
>slaps Andrea across the face at the end of the movie, the
>audience clapped. Tyler should have balanced Andrea's
>character out making her more realistic so that the audience
>would understand how she got to be so coldhearted so we could
>have some compassion for her. Her sister Pam (Taraji Henson)
>was a more multi-dimensional character; though she has some
>flaws, she still has a healthy, loving relationship with her
>husband.

No, they're pretty much all paper-thin. Predictable stock-types with no personality. And you're going to strain yourself like I did trying to bring "logic" into the Tyler Perry universe.

>
>Tyler definitely improved with "Temptation" because when the
>main character Judith (Jurnee Smollett-Bell) has an
>extra-marital affair, you have some compassion for her,
>because she tries to resist being seduced as hard as she can,
>but her husband takes her for granted making major mistakes in
>their relationship, while this other guy appreciates her so
>much more.

Haven't seen the picture, but I've been told - multiple times - that the "major mistakes" the husband makes are things like forgetting her birthday.

TruOne
14276 posts
Tue Apr-02-13 09:46 AM

24. "You are giving Tyler Perry too much credit"

That's what bothered me the most about "Madea
>Goes to Jail" - Tyler's most commercially successful film
>grossing over $90 Million at the box office. The scene in
>which two powerful actors - future Oscar Nominee Viola Davis
>(The Help) talks to Derek Luke's (Antwone Fisher) character
>about the guilt he has carried for years due to the past rape
>of his friend brought laughter from the audience when it
>should have brought tears with Derek Luke's tears. The
>laughter came from Madea being thrown into the mix. Serious,
>heart wrenching moments are constantly interrupted by Madea.

That paragraph alone explains Tyler's deficiencies as a filmmaker. But what makes it worst is that you can find BIGGER PROBLEMS the further you go down his portfolio.

The quality of this
>film is on the level of "The Family That Preys" which was a
>great film whose only weakness was one dimensional characters
>that should have been fleshed out more.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHY THE MOVIE WAS HORRIBLE. You have assembled such a large number of GREAT and ACCOMPLISHED actors and this is the SHIT you give them to work with?

>"Scandal" is one of the best shows on tv, but it has almost
>glamorized adultery & seduction. In conversations with some of
>my peers and my generation, I have come to realize that
>adultery is much more common than we think. It is not frowned
>upon, but some think that it's nothing wrong to sleep with
>someone's husband or someone's wife. When I mentioned to one
>of my friends about my attraction to a married woman, they
>were like, you should get that. I mentioned that I would never
>disrespect this woman, I respect her marriage, I'm a
>Christian. My friend was like, so what. "Temptation" is not
>as exaggerated as Idris Elba's "Obsessed" or "Fatal
>Attraction"; it's actually more realistic than those films,
>and I'm sure many of us can relate to it. This film deals
>with how powerful & how destructive seduction can really be.
>Hopefully, "Temptation" will be a warning to those faced with
>adultery that choices have consequences, now or later.

Please don't try to depict Tyler Perry as the "voice of our generation". Adultery is not a new phenomena. It's been discussed since biblical times and even before that.

It is not "more acceptable" today than it was 50 years ago to sleep with someone else's husband. It all comes down to moral fortitude. If you were a shitty person 50 years ago, you'd sleep with a married man, just like if you are a shitty person today, you'll sleep with a married man.

TP takes tried tropes and puts pretty black people in them and tries to dress up his plethora of flaws as a filmmaker. There ain't nuthin' respectable about that.

- - - Begin Sig. - - -

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'" ~ ~ Anne Radmacher

J-Elijah
260 posts
Fri Apr-05-13 01:29 AM

31. "There are Some Powerful Moments That Speak to the Heart in Tyler Perry's..."
In response to Reply # 24
Fri Apr-05-13 01:51 AM by J-Elijah

> That's what bothered me the most about "Madea
>>Goes to Jail" - Tyler's most commercially successful film
>>grossing over $90 Million at the box office. The scene in
>>which two powerful actors - future Oscar Nominee Viola Davis
>>(The Help) talks to Derek Luke's (Antwone Fisher) character
>>about the guilt he has carried for years due to the past
>rape
>>of his friend brought laughter from the audience when it
>>should have brought tears with Derek Luke's tears. The
>>laughter came from Madea being thrown into the mix. Serious,
>>heart wrenching moments are constantly interrupted by Madea.
>
>That paragraph alone explains Tyler's deficiencies as a
>filmmaker. But what makes it worst is that you can find BIGGER
>PROBLEMS the further you go down his portfolio.

If the Madea character had been taken out of the film and the story focused on Joshua Hardaway (Derek Luke) seeking redemption because he let his football teammates rape his friend Candace Washington (Keisha Knight Pulliam), then we would have had a serious movie. Madea, though the money maker for Tyler's films, disrupts the pacing drastically changing the mood when it's completely not necessary.
In most of his films (Family Reunion, Diary of a Mad Black Woman, I Can Do Bad All By Myself), a compelling story is present, but the farce & mockery throws everything off.

> The quality of this
>>film is on the level of "The Family That Preys" which was a
>>great film whose only weakness was one dimensional
>characters
>>that should have been fleshed out more.
>
>THAT'S EXACTLY WHY THE MOVIE WAS HORRIBLE. You have assembled
>such a large number of GREAT and ACCOMPLISHED actors and this
>is the SHIT you give them to work with?

I wouldn't say "The Family That Preys" is horrible, it was uneven & somewhat frustrating. The half of the film that deals with the peculiar friendship between Alice (Alfre Woodard) & Charlotte (Kathy Bates) who is trying to fight Alzheimer's, was the best part of the movie & the most significant. He should have focused just on that story alone for the film, & made the coldhearted Andrea (Sanaa Lathan) storyline a separate film.

>
>>"Scandal" is one of the best shows on tv, but it has almost
>>glamorized adultery & seduction. In conversations with some
>of
>>my peers and my generation, I have come to realize that
>>adultery is much more common than we think. It is not
>frowned
>>upon, but some think that it's nothing wrong to sleep with
>>someone's husband or someone's wife. When I mentioned to one
>>of my friends about my attraction to a married woman, they
>>were like, you should get that. I mentioned that I would
>never
>>disrespect this woman, I respect her marriage, I'm a
>>Christian. My friend was like, so what. "Temptation" is not
>>as exaggerated as Idris Elba's "Obsessed" or "Fatal
>>Attraction"; it's actually more realistic than those films,
>>and I'm sure many of us can relate to it. This film deals
>>with how powerful & how destructive seduction can really be.
>
>>Hopefully, "Temptation" will be a warning to those faced
>with
>>adultery that choices have consequences, now or later.
>
>Please don't try to depict Tyler Perry as the "voice of our
>generation". Adultery is not a new phenomena. It's been
>discussed since biblical times and even before that.
>
>It is not "more acceptable" today than it was 50 years ago to
>sleep with someone else's husband. It all comes down to moral
>fortitude. If you were a shitty person 50 years ago, you'd
>sleep with a married man, just like if you are a shitty person
>today, you'll sleep with a married man.
>
>TP takes tried tropes and puts pretty black people in them and
>tries to dress up his plethora of flaws as a filmmaker. There
>ain't nuthin' respectable about that.

I'm not necessarily saying that he is the "voice of our generation", but he is "a voice for our generation" because his films are definitely speaking to someone & he is connecting with people. That's why almost every movie he makes opens with $20 million at the box office the first weekend. Very few even white directors can say that. Spike Lee, Lee Daniels, Antoine Fuqua, & Tyler Perry are each successful black directors that have a voice that is so distinctive; they each have something different to say that represents the spectrum of us as a people. Tyler is making history owning his own studio making films & tv shows at the same time keeping a lot of black actors & crew working who would not have jobs. The elite of black Hollywood like Sidney Poitier, Cicely Tyson, & Ruby Dee have no problem showing their support for Tyler. When his stories don't get taken over by Madea, portions of his films are very powerful. There are definitely some powerful moments in "Family Reunion" (the 2 sisters, Lisa (Rochelle Aytes) & Vanessa (Lisa Arrindell Anderson) confronting their mother (Lynn Whitfield) about the molestation & abuse that occurred when they were kids), "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" (Kimberly Elise's character trying to overcome depression after her husband leaves), "Madea Goes to Jail" (forgiveness & redemption when Candace Washington (Keisha Knight Pulliam) forgives Josh (Derek Luke) for her rape releasing his guilt), Good Deeds (courage to take the road less traveled to fulfill your purpose).

I understand that adultery is not a new phenomenon, but Tyler Perry's "Temptation" is speaking to a lot of people because it honestly & effectively shows a Christian dealing with falling into the sin of adultery & seduction in a believable way & the tug a war effect it has on her revealing the conflict between her Christian values and her unwanted lustful desires once she gets "turned out." In most Hollywood films about adultery like "Fatal Attraction" & "Obsessed,"
Christianity is not regarded & the characters are not Christians so "Temptation" brings a whole other dynamic to the table by focusing on an aspect that is usually neglected in the adultery conversation in films.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Fri Apr-05-13 08:35 AM

33. "RE: There are Some Powerful Moments That Speak to the Heart in Tyler Per..."
In response to Reply # 31

If the Madea character had been taken out of the film and the
>story focused on Joshua Hardaway (Derek Luke) seeking
>redemption because he let his football teammates rape his
>friend Candace Washington (Keisha Knight Pulliam), then we
>would have had..

...a cartoon show! Did you watch the same picture we all did? With RUdy Huxtable's poor acting, Derek Luke crying every three minutes, and the evil bougie lightskinned girlfriend? The Madea portions are the only parts of those films worth watching.

TruOne
14276 posts
Sat Apr-06-13 11:16 AM

34. "RE: There are Some Powerful Moments That Speak to the Heart in Tyler Per..."
In response to Reply # 31

The half of the film that deals
>with the peculiar friendship between Alice (Alfre Woodard) &
>Charlotte (Kathy Bates) who is trying to fight Alzheimer's,
>was the best part of the movie & the most significant. He
>should have focused just on that story alone for the film, &
>made the coldhearted Andrea (Sanaa Lathan) storyline a
>separate film.

I agree. Or perhaps just left out the whole "cheating wife" storyline since he completely fucked it up.

>I'm not necessarily saying that he is the "voice of our
>generation", but he is "a voice for our generation" because
>his films are definitely speaking to someone & he is
>connecting with people. That's why almost every movie he makes
>opens with $20 million at the box office the first weekend.
>Very few even white directors can say that. Spike Lee, Lee
>Daniels, Antoine Fuqua, & Tyler Perry are each successful
>black directors that have a voice that is so distinctive; they
>each have something different to say that represents the
>spectrum of us as a people.

Everybody has a "distinctive" voice.

Having a "distinctive" voice doesn't change the fact that TP makes shitty movies. It's just that his Black Female Christian fanbase flock to see his shitty movies.

Outside of that small niche, all other film goers recognize the trash that he creates and tries to call, "quality cinema".

Tyler is making history owning his
>own studio making films & tv shows at the same time keeping a
>lot of black actors & crew working who would not have jobs.

A lot of drug dealers keep people employed, too. That doesn't change the fact that their product is horrible and negative.

>The elite of black Hollywood like Sidney Poitier, Cicely
>Tyson, & Ruby Dee have no problem showing their support for
>Tyler. When his stories don't get taken over by Madea,
>portions of his films are very powerful.

No they aren't. Just because "serious music" is playing in the background doesn't make any of TP's "dramatic" scenes powerful.

>"Diary
>of a Mad Black Woman" (Kimberly Elise's character trying to
>overcome depression after her husband leaves),

Was that before or after she beat her paralyzed husband with a wiffle bat?

Or how about when she left the family dinner to go after "her man" all while leaving her paralyzed husband at the table, by himself?

Or was that AFTER she dumped him into a bathtub while fully clothed.

You left out "For Colored Girls" when Crystal (Kimberly Elise) is on the rooftop having a "sister-girl" moment with all her bff's despite the fact THAT HER CHILDREN PLUMMETED TO THEIR DEATHS LESS THAN A DAY BEFORE!

WTF!?!

>
>I understand that adultery is not a new phenomenon, but Tyler
>Perry's "Temptation" is speaking to a lot of people because it
>honestly & effectively shows a Christian dealing with falling
>into the sin of adultery & seduction in a believable way & the
>tug a war effect it has on her revealing the conflict between
>her Christian values and her unwanted lustful desires once she
>gets "turned out."

No it doesn't. It treats Christianity as a stereotype.

Judith is a "Christian" because she has sex with the lights off, wears conservative clothing and doesn't drink alcohol?

THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION OR FAITH IN GOD!

It's Tyler Perry talking down to his audience as if they are 3rd graders who need everything simplified and put into easy to digest 2-dimensional characters.

Judith - "Christian" woman who can be seduced
Harley - "Devil" who drives a red car and spreads AIDS

Moral of the story: Be a good "Christian" woman or else you might get HIV!

In most Hollywood films about adultery like
>"Fatal Attraction" & "Obsessed,"
>Christianity is not regarded & the characters are not
>Christians so "Temptation" brings a whole other dynamic to the
>table by focusing on an aspect that is usually neglected in
>the adultery conversation in films.

Christianity wasn't recognized or identified in "Temptation", either.

- - - Begin Sig. - - -

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Sun Mar-31-13 09:09 AM

15. "Ha!"
In response to Reply # 3

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Sun Mar-31-13 10:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "My observation:"
In response to Reply # 0

Tyler Perry goes out of his way to "stylize" his movies, but adding the elements to the "plot" of movies that get people into the discussion of "why the HELL did he write it like THAT???!!!" This is the KEY to Tyler Perry's success (not an endorsement or a condemnation, just an observation).

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

TheWhiteMedia
Member since Jun 23rd 2005
792 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 03:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
23. ""That's not makeup. That's makedown.""
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.vulture.com/2013/03/every-kim-kardashian-line-in-tyler-perrys-temptation.html

Read Every Line Kim Kardashian Says in Tyler Perry’s Temptation
By Kyle Buchanan

The grannies were very upset with Tyler Perry when he gave Kim Kardashian a supporting role in his new film Temptation, but as an image-obsessed clotheshorse whose primary concern is snagging a rich man, you can't say Kardashian was cast against type. The real surprise is that the 32-year-old reality star has quite a bit of dialogue to deliver (over 50 lines worth!) in this film, though some of it — in particular, the flatly mumbled line, "Push me out of a window, why don't you?" — seems designed to provoke chuckles. Here, then, are all of Kardashian's lines in the movie, taken wildly out of context. Read them in Kim K's voice: a vaguely disapproving murmur with random words emphasized so suddenly it's as though she were jolted to life by an unexpected electric shock.

"Good morning. Your 8 a.m. is on his way up."
"Ugh, look at those shoes."
"I wasn't talking about hers, I was talking about yours. They look like orthopedic shoes."
"Judith, we've been going over this for weeks. Look around this office, what do you see?"
"Look at me, Judith. What you should see is people in this office care about what they look like. UNlike you."
"We have over a billion dollars walking in and out of these offices looking for love, and we have a standard to uphold. And this is not our standard!"
"Yes, you do."
"Yeah, you do."
"A degree?"
"A degree on the wall, without labels on your back, is nothing."
"Where are you from, new girl?"
"Where the hell is that?"
"The South. That explains it. You grew up below the Mason-Dixon."
"And you really need an iron to that skirt."
"Say no more. That … that blouse. It's telling it all."
"What's wrong with my dress? You don't breathe in Hervé."
"Oh my God."
"You're killing me. You don't know who that is? The third largest social media inventor since Zuckerberg? ClassMeet? What planet are you from?"
"She is no madam. You need to bite your tongue. She's a matchmaker, and she's very good at her job."
"Stay right there, I know she was talkin' to me."
"Okay!"
"Bye. Nice to meet you."
"Do I have any calls?"
"Flowers!"
"I didn't know that the 15th was your birthday. Happy birthday, here you go."
"You are so excited about him. That is great."
"Did you try something new? With your hair?"
"Unfortunately, I do. Is your fashion icon, like, 'Delta stewardess'? That's what you look like."
"Ugh! Is this wool? It's making me itch."
"A blend of what?"
"That WAS a compliment."
"He … he's on his way up. C'mon. We … we gotta go."
"No, Harley. Come on, we really gotta go."
"Watch my manicure!"
"I'm trying to be your friend here, Judith. When people look at you, it reflects bad on me. They don't think you have a mirror or a friend, and they know we're friends! My friends don't look like this! They look like THIS."
"That's not makeup. That's makedown."
"Oh. My. God! You're wearing flats?"
"Push me out of the window, why don't you?"
"H-Harley's here. C'mon, we gotta go. Enough with the coffee. No coffee break. Nope, nope. We gotta go."
"Hi Harley!"
"What? We're back to this again? Did you not have a good birthday or something."
"He forgot? I thought he sent you flowers yesterday."
"You are forgettable. Honey. You have to make a man remember you. I've tried to give you my assistance, but you don't want it. So, get out."
"Win what?"
"Are you kidding. Oh my … thank you. I have been dying to get my hands on this hair. C'mon, c'mon."
"Look. Look at the bag, the shoes, the purses, everything. I dream of this room! Look at this."
"This is the place that Janice sends the girls that she's not happy with. Where, you know, she sets them up. So, this is what I call Couture Heaven."
"All right, let's get started. I have so much to do to you and so little time."
"What do you think of this?"
"One that's never been on your back. It's called 'expensive.'"
"Wait a minute … those are NOT my hand-me-downs."
"Oh my God. You caught on. Wait a minute, wait! You caught on. Let me see. I am so proud."
"This is my finest moment in life."

--------------------------------------
It wasn't any conspiracy, or the media. They weren't doing anything. We were bad boys, and we were enjoying being bad boys.
Michael Irvin
Black person
The U

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 10:11 AM

29. "not good. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Mon Apr-08-13 12:09 PM

37. "lol"
In response to Reply # 29

no_i_cant_dance
Member since Apr 10th 2006
5577 posts
Sun Apr-07-13 11:02 AM

35. "He should be ashamed of himself."
In response to Reply # 0

nm

<<Mood...Poppy Okotcha in Look 1 at Ashish Fall 2016

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa7KBq0q5bU

b.Touch
20514 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 08:04 AM

41. "Highly ashamed. Most socially irresponsible film I've seen"
In response to Reply # 35

since "The Help".

Universadevine
Member since Mar 14th 2003
1991 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 08:53 PM

38. "RE: Tyler Perry's Temptation (Tyler Dogg, 2013)"
In response to Reply # 0

Loved it! I saw it twice..

I honestly, think this was the best written script Tyler Perry has written so far..

When Brandy's Character said she had HIV this Jamaica dude in the theatre yelled out "boomboclat".

Dovefly

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 06:29 AM

39. "LMAO!!!"
In response to Reply # 38

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sat Jul-13-13 12:53 AM

42. "is it predictable? YEP but is it entertaining and thought provoking?"
In response to Reply # 0

YEP....it's a sad but fairly realistic movie about people who get caught up....

...i didn't think it was great, but it's a pretty honest movie , even though everyone should be able to telegraph the movie after the first 15 mins....

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sat Jul-13-13 01:16 AM

43. "if you think that film is "thought provoking""
In response to Reply # 42

not only would you do well to expand your world view and horizons, but you'd also do well to get proper information on what life is, can be, and should be like for people who, well, you saw the damn movie.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sat Jul-13-13 11:06 AM

45. "stop attacking everything you don't like"
In response to Reply # 43

just cause i liked the the movie for what it is doesn't men you have to come in and talk about you don't like it...get over it and move on....i'll never understand people whining about movies and music they don't like...i can't spend that much time on things i don't like...and nigga, don't worry bout my world view, expand yours to accept that people have different opinions and the sun still sets and rises...you mad about nothing...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Sat Jul-13-13 12:30 PM

46. "It's a message board, man."
In response to Reply # 45

Everybody doesn't have to hold their tongue if they disagree with you.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sat Jul-13-13 12:46 PM

47. "LOL...i knew someone would use that tired cliche..."
In response to Reply # 46

..everyone who wants to whine and troll does....i'm not mad he disagrees that the movie was cool, but don't attack me cause "I" do.... so please read before you jump in with hyperbole....

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Sat Jul-13-13 05:23 PM

48. "It's not a cliche. It's just the truth. "
In response to Reply # 47

"i'll never understand people whining about movies and music they don't like...i can't spend that much time on things i don't like"

Then you don't understand the purpose of a message board.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sat Jul-13-13 06:50 PM

49. "so you're trolling and throwing insults....i'm SO surprised"
In response to Reply # 48

...good stuff....

i don't whine about what i don't like ad nauseam...it's also called realizing that everyone won't agree with me and i don't have to try to insult my way to proving my point....you don't like TP movies, why go into TP posts and complain...i don't like CSI, but if someone else likes CSI it doesn't mean i have to come at them, for wat a bad decision TO ME.....it's also called maturity....but ok...keep hiding behind that "it's a messageboard" schtick, maybe it'll work in a argument some day....you choose what you wanna post about and THIS is what you like to do with that time?? whine? ..good for you, it's your right.."it's a messageboard"...LOL

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Sat Jul-13-13 10:31 PM

50. "Nigga, nobody insulted you."
In response to Reply # 49

You just on a message board mad because somebody disagrees with you. That's it.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 01:01 AM

52. "calm down lilnick...."
In response to Reply # 50

i really don't care either way, we're both in this post cause we're bored....... it's funny you don't seem to know what an insult is though, the net can do that though...hope i didn't hurt your feelings...

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 09:06 AM

57. "Don't worry, nigga. You didn't hurt anything."
In response to Reply # 52

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 04:28 PM

60. "glad to hear it ....LOL"
In response to Reply # 57

...i like that you're STILL trying to insult me tho, it's cute....

Basaglia
49463 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 08:22 AM

54. "he wasn't insulted. he was condecended to, and that's probably worse. "
In response to Reply # 50

telling someone to expand their world view and to "get proper information on what life is..." because they liked a tyler perry movie is exactly the kinda shit that has made me want to create as much havoc on this board as possible. there's no real dialogue here. so, i just party.

i don't wanna raise my kids in a world where it's "unsafe" to say they like wack ass movies.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 09:23 PM

62. "Oh no. Not condescension!?"
In response to Reply # 54

Fuck outta here.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 11:18 PM

64. "party on, nick"
In response to Reply # 62

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sat Jul-13-13 11:14 PM

51. "I'm sorry, but no. This is different than just "I don't like it""
In response to Reply # 45

the picture is fucking socially irresponsible and wrong-headed in its treatment and handling of HIV-positive people and of HIV as a strongly implied "curse from God".

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 01:11 AM

53. "i never took HIV as a "curse from God", from this flick"
In response to Reply # 51

.....but i DO get what you're saying as it's easy for other people to see it like you are....

i just thought of the HIV stuff as a bad reveal period....

...i honestly focused on the "you have to pay attention to the people you choose to interact with" parts of the movie... her descent into adultery was plausible cause i've seen people play with fire like she did, and i've seen people take their SO for granted and that backfire....i've seen people not pay attention to something dangerous.....

...i do agree that Perry puts lil stuff in his movies and tries to make it seem like it's an ok statement to make, when it's the opposite...

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 01:50 PM

58. "HIV as a curse from God is the entire fucking point of the story"
In response to Reply # 53
Sun Jul-14-13 01:56 PM by b.Touch

If you missed it, you were only half paying attention. To a Tyler Perry film, which demands less of your attention by default.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 04:31 PM

61. "HIV ISN'T the whole point of the movie homie..."
In response to Reply # 58

...i get that you think it is though, and that's cool..that's what you took from it....LOL at you guys NOT being able to have a discussion without being condescending though...i hope you argue better IRL...

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 10:17 PM

63. "The point of the movie is marriage fidelity, "temptation", blah blah bla..."
In response to Reply # 61

HIV is the punishment for Judith not being faithful to her husband. It's laid out practically in black and white.

I suppose if Jurnee Smollett had turned to the camera and said "see ladies? Don't let this happen to you! Stay with your man and BEWARE of HIV, which will leave you unmarried, unloved, and hobbling down the road like the hunchback in 300" it would have gotten through to you better?

The film presents a shameful and dangerous message that takes little regard for people actually living in this world with HIV. Nevermind that it was already trash during the previous five reels.

You're in no position to laugh at anyone for any reason - you called this piece of shit "thought provoking", which raises alarm and concern for how "unprovoked" your thoughts usually are.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 11:26 PM

65. "lol damn yall really mad about this one huh??"
In response to Reply # 63
Sun Jul-14-13 11:37 PM by Calico

Get over it...of course I can laugh at people getting upset about someone else liking a doggone TP movie when there are clearly more pressing issues in the world...I laugh at people who whine about things they say they don't care about...grow up...yes HIV was a consequence of her actions but that doesn't make it the focal point of the whole movie....lol and u must think it's thought provoking or it wouldn't have inspired the thoughts that seem to have u so upset ....I'm not looking down on u, I just think u 're wasting time trying to convince me of something that isn't there, that u say u didn't even like....would I recommend the movie? No, I wouldn't, but obviously it stirs something between your external pinnaes or u wouldn't be engaged in this dialogue.... what ARE u so upset about anyway?

Basaglia
49463 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 08:26 AM

55. "really? how's that? you merely saying it is doesn't really prove this. "
In response to Reply # 51

>the picture is fucking socially irresponsible and
>wrong-headed in its treatment and handling of HIV-positive
>people and of HIV as a strongly implied "curse from God".

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 01:51 PM

59. "*pats head*"
In response to Reply # 55

Starbaby Jones
Member since Mar 08th 2003
5034 posts
Sat Jul-13-13 07:44 AM

44. "Why were Judith and Brice the only ones who aged?"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean Brandy looked exactly the same, but they looked like 20 years had passed. Shit was laughable.

http://soundcloud.com/forestbrooks

Basaglia
49463 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 08:26 AM

56. "LMAO!!!! tyler dogg is a genius!!! he got people thinking...lmao!"
In response to Reply # 44

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #645432 Previous topic | Next topic