Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #644200

Subject: "Tell me again why cats like Firefly" Previous topic | Next topic
final_prospect82
Member since Mar 21st 2007
1358 posts
Thu Mar-14-13 10:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tell me again why cats like Firefly"

I finally got around to watching this show and honestly I'm not entertained.

I know I haven't seen anyone saying it's better than BSG but it's not close. Coincidentally this show has some of the same shots and style as BSG.

It's not better than Stargate Universe which, despite it's flaws, I'm fond of.
So please explain to me what am I missing in Firefly.

happiness is a mediocre standard for a middle class existence - S. Williams

I don't not like you because you have dumb ideas about the world, I don't like you because you have other people's dumb ideas about the world. - Rjcc

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
if its not for you, its not for you
Mar 15th 2013
RE: if its not for you, its not for you
Mar 15th 2013
its the other way around: BSG was stylistically comparable to Firefly
Mar 15th 2013
BSG was before Firefly
Mar 15th 2013
wha? which BSG did u think i was talkn about? lol
Mar 15th 2013
      RE: wha? which BSG did u think i was talkn about? lol
Mar 15th 2013
           doesnt make sense. why would i be talking bout the 70s series?
Mar 16th 2013
RE: its the other way around: BSG was stylistically comparable to Firefl...
Mar 16th 2013
      wait...
Mar 17th 2013
           not compelling
Mar 17th 2013
BSG was fucking awful.
Mar 15th 2013
Saul Tigh makes it all worthwhile
Mar 15th 2013
LOL.
Mar 15th 2013
No.
Mar 15th 2013
which of the stargate shows are worth watching?
Mar 15th 2013
that 1st season of Atlantis was le bomba
Mar 15th 2013
      I like the original SG-1 and Stargate universe
Mar 15th 2013
           i dig season long arcs too
Mar 16th 2013
                RE: i dig season long arcs too
Mar 16th 2013
BSG sucked dick thoroughly
Mar 15th 2013
I almost left an identical comment right now
Aug 22nd 2016
I actually much preferred Firefly.
Mar 15th 2013
the mini-series + seasons 1-3 are unfuckwitable
Mar 16th 2013
      agree with everything that said ^^^
Mar 16th 2013
Watch the episode "Objects in Space", if you don't like that
Mar 16th 2013
that one gets better n better each time ive seen it
Mar 16th 2013
the movie was ok
Mar 16th 2013
Glad I'm not the only one that struggles to like westerns
Mar 16th 2013
      i'm mostly been proven wrong last few years
Mar 19th 2013
           RE: i'm mostly been proven wrong last few years
Mar 19th 2013
                Ok we are on the same page then
Mar 22nd 2013
BSG is trash.
Mar 16th 2013
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that didn't like BSG
Mar 16th 2013
Never seen the show, but Serenity was garbage.
Mar 16th 2013
That gotdamn episode when they went to the planet where Jane was a hero....
Mar 17th 2013
i get that song in my head randomly every once in a while
Mar 17th 2013
Firefly was before BSG
Mar 18th 2013
Mar 18th 2013
the characters/actors were so lovable, and the West/China thing
Mar 18th 2013
Firefly was superior to every Sci-Fi Series before it...
Mar 20th 2013
those lips!
Mar 23rd 2013
this reference went over my head
Mar 24th 2013
      http://g987fm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/fish.jpg
Mar 24th 2013
           gotcha..
Mar 24th 2013
I thought it was cool but didn't blow me away like BSG
Mar 24th 2013
Watching this again now
Aug 22nd 2016

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Fri Mar-15-13 12:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "if its not for you, its not for you"
In response to Reply # 0

It had a point of view. It was character-based and those characters were often charming or fun. It had an interesting universe that still needed to be fleshed out. It's best episode was it's last, Objects in Space.

It didn't really do conflict well...many of the villains and grey characters didn't get enough screen time to develop so it could fall flat...but those aspects were MUCH better later on and in the movie. And I'm also sure those issues were exacerbated by heavy notes and edits and looming cancellation from FOX. If you look at successful sci-fi series before Firefly...including Star Trek: TNG and DS9 and Stargate...they really took a season or three to figure out what the fuck they were doing. Firefly was basically cancelled a handful of episodes in.

Both the series you mentioned benefitted from having a heavy mythology and fanbase pre-installed...Firefly was pretty good from the beginning but it was just scratching the surface of what it could do. It was still trying to find a groove between episodes and larger arcs. That's something that Stargate Universe...even with it's backing and longer run never managed to do either.

BSG had a tighter start but i still would say that Firefly had better writing and acting.

final_prospect82
1358 posts
Fri Mar-15-13 01:03 AM

2. "RE: if its not for you, its not for you"
In response to Reply # 1

>It didn't really do conflict well...many of the villains and
>grey characters didn't get enough screen time to develop so it
>could fall flat...but those aspects were MUCH better later on
>and in the movie. And I'm also sure those issues were
>exacerbated by heavy notes and edits and looming cancellation
>from FOX. If you look at successful sci-fi series before
>Firefly...including Star Trek: TNG and DS9 and Stargate...they
>really took a season or three to figure out what the fuck they
>were doing. Firefly was basically cancelled a handful of
>episodes in.

I can understand this

>Both the series you mentioned benefitted from having a heavy
>mythology and fanbase pre-installed...Firefly was pretty good
>from the beginning but it was just scratching the surface of
>what it could do. It was still trying to find a groove between
>episodes and larger arcs.

I can understand this

That's something that Stargate
>Universe...even with it's backing and longer run never managed
>to do either.
>

Disagree here
>BSG had a tighter start but i still would say that Firefly had
>better writing and acting.

Definitely disagree here. Also BSG started out strongly. The last season left something to be desired

But my post was less about how much I liked it and more about how this was a cream of the crop sci-fi show and in viewing it, it was far from that level.

So my question was can someone explain what they saw in this show. And you did that somewhat. But I can only go off of the shows that were made. I can't give a show extra credit for where it might have gone if it continued. If I were to then I could say the same for Stargate Universe.

I don't not like you because you have dumb ideas about the world, I don't like you because you have other people's dumb ideas about the world. - Rjcc

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Fri Mar-15-13 02:43 AM

3. "its the other way around: BSG was stylistically comparable to Firefly"
In response to Reply # 0

Firefly came before, and off top of my head, was the first show to incorporate cutting edge "zoom" techniques in its space/cgi sequences, which BSG later became very well known for. u can also see "Serenity" flying overhead in the BSG mini-series pilot (the scene where Roslyn is at the docs office getting her diagnosis). most fans agree it was an homage to Firefly.

in terms of "gritty sci fi", id say Firefly kicked that trend off too. again predating BSG. and SGU, which i personally dug just on how wide a scope it was setting for itself, and was totally prepared for it to go at least 5 seasons. but it did become a slog at one point. some iffy acting didnt help. n the fan backlash from SG1's predominantly PG fanbase didnt help. a cool show but nowhere near BSG or Fireflys quality.

im a huge fan of both shows (FF+BSG), they got plenty of similarities but enuf differences too. for one had the hand of Joss, which meant you were gonna get the crazy dramatic moments but with heapings of sharp humour. characters are always front n center in a Jossverse, which given enuf TIME (aka more than a single season, half of which didnt even air) flesh out gloriously til they're almost real ppl living real lives. all the central and peripheral characters were pretty memorable and hecka likeable (Badger, YoSaphBridge, Early). Mal Reynolds in particular is often compared to Indy, and has won more than a few polls for "best sci fi captain" or something along those lines.

...actually im not quite sure how to explain it to someone whos already made up their mind? i also dont understand how u can laud BSG but see no value in Firefly?

let me keep it simple: if the opening scenes of Wash playing with his dinosaurs don't tickle ur fancy? its not for u. u may not have a sense of humour or a sense of adventure or fun.

BSG was HEAVY television. i redid the entire series with wifey pretty reecntly and that 4th season packed way more of a wallop than the first time. makes a lot more sense (in that ye it got religiousy near the end, but it was ALWAYS religiousy (i made up a word) from the beginning). it made a point to deal with on-the-nose topics but in its space-opera format. it was amazingly cerebral, had outstanding sfx, and characters you could love AND hate simultaneously depending on the episode. tonally, a completely different show to Firefly. the comparisons pretty much end at "its in space, its got wicked sfx, the characters rock".

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

final_prospect82
1358 posts
Fri Mar-15-13 03:38 AM

7. "BSG was before Firefly"
In response to Reply # 3

The last series was a remake of the 70's series with a few character changes.

But I get your overall point. When I stated it has some of the same shots as BSg I wasn't implying that Firefly took something from BSg. I was more so pointing out a similarity

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Fri Mar-15-13 11:10 AM

10. "wha? which BSG did u think i was talkn about? lol"
In response to Reply # 7

>The last series was a remake of the 70's series with a few
>character changes.

...............*blink*
kay.
ill pretend that u didnt know that i already knew that.

>But I get your overall point. When I stated it has some of the
>same shots as BSg I wasn't implying that Firefly took
>something from BSg. I was more so pointing out a similarity

understood.
im just pointing out Firefly happened in 2002. BSG in 2003. both shows special effects handled by Zoic Studios: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoic_Studios. im sure there are other similarities but that would be the main one. my main point was Firefly predated BSG. so any comparisons or similarities work in reverse. eg. BSG had similar shots as Firefly, not the other way around.

V.

---

DROkayplayerâ„¢

final_prospect82
1358 posts
Fri Mar-15-13 05:16 PM

13. "RE: wha? which BSG did u think i was talkn about? lol"
In response to Reply # 10

>>The last series was a remake of the 70's series with a few
>>character changes.
>
>...............*blink*
>kay.
>ill pretend that u didnt know that i already knew that.

no need to pretend because I didnt. Just like I don't know you. Don't know why I should assume you don't know or know anything. That's why my remark was less of a moment to check you and more of let me put this out there.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sat Mar-16-13 04:55 AM

18. "doesnt make sense. why would i be talking bout the 70s series?"
In response to Reply # 13

clearly i was talking bout the re-imagining that began in '03. buuut this convo kinda went off the rails anyway so fuck it lol.

V.

---

DROkayplayerâ„¢

final_prospect82
1358 posts
Sat Mar-16-13 11:21 PM

27. "RE: its the other way around: BSG was stylistically comparable to Firefl..."
In response to Reply # 3

>...actually im not quite sure how to explain it to someone
>whos already made up their mind? i also dont understand how u
>can laud BSG but see no value in Firefly

It would be easy for me to say the humor made it cheesy (SG-1 and SGU had humor but I love both of those) but it's alot more than that.

The characters on Firefly weren't interesting...at all. Let me take that back. There are 2 characters I took interest in which were the doctor and the companion. And honestly every other character, from the sheppard, to the mercenary, pilot, captain, and second in command seemed like caricatures to me. Or at least very cliche and shallow.

Also to me the show suffered from not having intriguing antagonists. However, this is something they got right in the movie.

BSG had very complex characters that had to deal with both internal conflict within themselves and also within their society. views. And this was realized within the first season IMO. And the show achieved what any great show should achieve: every character had huge moral questions and grey areas. The antagonists were these comic book villains and the protagonists weren't these comic book heroes. This was brought up wonderfully during the scene where Lee was put on the stand by Guyus (sp?) lawyer and basically said everyone's hands is dirty and have been forgiven ....etc.

BSG also showed a more complex world: Caprica vs other planets, or humans vs cylons, or the human cylons vs the metal cylons, etc. I could go one.

Although I did complete the entire season + movie for Firefly, it was better than Babylon 5 but still in the same class. I couldn't get through an episode of that garbage.

Big Chief Rumbletummy
Member since Jan 31st 2006
2005 posts
Sun Mar-17-13 12:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
29. "wait..."
In response to Reply # 27

>
>The characters on Firefly weren't interesting...at all. Let me
>take that back. There are 2 characters I took interest in
>which were the doctor and the companion. And honestly every
>other character, from the sheppard, to the mercenary, pilot,
>captain, and second in command seemed like caricatures to me.
>Or at least very cliche and shallow.

You found the character of Inara compelling?

final_prospect82
1358 posts
Sun Mar-17-13 10:36 PM

32. "not compelling"
In response to Reply # 29

I took an interest in her. But not nearly as much as the doctor

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Fri Mar-15-13 02:53 AM

4. "BSG was fucking awful."
In response to Reply # 0

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Fri Mar-15-13 03:05 AM

5. "Saul Tigh makes it all worthwhile"
In response to Reply # 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5N4CsNE-eg.

V.

---

DROkayplayerâ„¢

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Fri Mar-15-13 03:25 AM

6. "LOL."
In response to Reply # 5

Bruce Belafonte
Member since Jan 14th 2008
31999 posts
Fri Mar-15-13 08:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "No."
In response to Reply # 4

http://youtu.be/5o37GORoKUQ

#htpw

Bruce Belafonte
Member since Jan 14th 2008
31999 posts
Fri Mar-15-13 08:37 AM

8. "which of the stargate shows are worth watching?"
In response to Reply # 0

i stopped a season or two after atlantis begun.

http://youtu.be/5o37GORoKUQ

#htpw

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Fri Mar-15-13 11:15 AM

11. "that 1st season of Atlantis was le bomba"
In response to Reply # 8

kinda goes progressively downhill after that. but there were some gems in the later seasons (it lasted 5 seasons). the Teal'c vs Ronan battle then teamup in particular, was epic. and the one and ONLY time Teal'c gets called on his overuse of the word "INDEED" lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CgG-vkxh2w.

any ep focusing on Ronan was the shit. n the Wraith were pretty creepy villains for the series. its worth the watch. shit pretty much all of the mythos is worth a watch. SG-1 got hit or miss near the end, but the very last TV movie they made ("Continuum") was so awesome.

V.

---

DROkayplayerâ„¢

final_prospect82
1358 posts
Fri Mar-15-13 05:23 PM

14. "I like the original SG-1 and Stargate universe"
In response to Reply # 11

But I'm partial true Season long story archs that are apart of a Series long story arch.

Which is why I liked Stargate Universe and the latter seasons of SG-1 more than the earlier seasons.

Episodes in the earlier seasons could be missed and it didn't mean anything. Once they started to add these seasons long story archs, you would pay for missing an episode

Also Continuum is good. I'm speaking of the Current TV series, not the movie. This has nothing to do with SG at all. Just thought I mention it.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sat Mar-16-13 05:05 AM

19. "i dig season long arcs too"
In response to Reply # 14
Sat Mar-16-13 05:09 AM by araQual

>But I'm partial true Season long story archs that are apart
>of a Series long story arch.
>
>Which is why I liked Stargate Universe and the latter seasons
>of SG-1 more than the earlier seasons.

same. but id recommend rewatching the 1st season (of SG-1). it had more of a vitality and edge to it despite the standalone eps that, beginning from s2, dissipated real quick into ho hum procedural stuff (tonally). the pilot had full frontal nudity for crapsakes lol. n O'Neill yelling "BULLSHIT!" in the season finale. felt like it got toned down a lot when they switched networks. still had moments of brilliance over the years whenever they actually had the balls to 'take it there' so to speak (one of my fav eps ever is "Abyss" in season 6 i think? ascended Daniel appears to Jack who is a prisoner of Ba'al, Jack dies repeatedly and is brought back to life, n Daniel pretty much rips Jack's whole persona open. was pretty strong stuff, just wish they coulda brought that kinda A game more often).

>Episodes in the earlier seasons could be missed and it didn't
>mean anything. Once they started to add these seasons long
>story archs, you would pay for missing an episode

definitely. it stayed good for a good long while, personally the introduction of The Ori is when it got a bit meh. which is why Continuum (the film) rocked with the throwback vibe.

>Also Continuum is good. I'm speaking of the Current TV series,
>not the movie. This has nothing to do with SG at all. Just
>thought I mention it.

ur not guna start saying random inexplicable things again to dead the convo are u? cos i could wax poetic nerd style allday if..yknow, we stay on topic? lol the fuck do i care about the show Continuum, which has nothing to do with Stargate, when we're talking about the tv/dvd movie "Stargate: Continuum"?

V.

---

DROkayplayerâ„¢

final_prospect82
1358 posts
Sat Mar-16-13 10:55 PM

25. "RE: i dig season long arcs too"
In response to Reply # 19
Sat Mar-16-13 10:56 PM by final_prospect82

>>But I'm partial true Season long story archs that are apart
>>of a Series long story arch.
>>
>>Which is why I liked Stargate Universe and the latter
>seasons
>>of SG-1 more than the earlier seasons.
>
>same. but id recommend rewatching the 1st season (of SG-1). it
>had more of a vitality and edge to it despite the standalone
>eps that, beginning from s2, dissipated real quick into ho hum
>procedural stuff (tonally). the pilot had full frontal nudity
>for crapsakes lol. n O'Neill yelling "BULLSHIT!" in the season
>finale. felt like it got toned down a lot when they switched
>networks. still had moments of brilliance over the years
>whenever they actually had the balls to 'take it there' so to
>speak (one of my fav eps ever is "Abyss" in season 6 i think?
>ascended Daniel appears to Jack who is a prisoner of Ba'al,
>Jack dies repeatedly and is brought back to life, n Daniel
>pretty much rips Jack's whole persona open. was pretty strong
>stuff, just wish they coulda brought that kinda A game more
>often).
>

I forgot about the nudity in the pilot. I liked the entire series. I just prefer the story archs vs procedural for television shows. Which is why I'm lukewarm to southland

>>Episodes in the earlier seasons could be missed and it
>didn't
>>mean anything. Once they started to add these seasons long
>>story archs, you would pay for missing an episode
>
>definitely. it stayed good for a good long while, personally
>the introduction of The Ori is when it got a bit meh. which is
>why Continuum (the film) rocked with the throwback vibe.

I actually enjoyed the Ori storyline

>>Also Continuum is good. I'm speaking of the Current TV
>series,
>>not the movie. This has nothing to do with SG at all. Just
>>thought I mention it.
>
>ur not guna start saying random inexplicable things again to
>dead the convo are u? cos i could wax poetic nerd style allday
>if..yknow, we stay on topic? lol the fuck do i care about the
>show Continuum, which has nothing to do with Stargate, when
>we're talking about the tv/dvd movie "Stargate: Continuum"?
>

My entire reply was meant to be towards Bruce which would put my comment about seperating the movie from the TV show in better . perspective. I just mistakenly replied under yours. my bad

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Mar-15-13 12:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "BSG sucked dick thoroughly"
In response to Reply # 0

firefly had likeable characters, a great cast and three particularly interesting episodes.

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Aug-22-16 02:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
46. "I almost left an identical comment right now"
In response to Reply # 12

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Fri Mar-15-13 07:02 PM

15. "I actually much preferred Firefly."
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't start watching BSG until the last couple of seasons, but it got pretty fucking tacky in those years.

People say the first few seasons are great, and I certainly liked the movie, but I can't seem to muster the interest.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sat Mar-16-13 06:28 AM

21. "the mini-series + seasons 1-3 are unfuckwitable"
In response to Reply # 15

thats the general consensus.
but like i said in another post, wen u redo the entire series from beginning to end in say the span of, like, a month? s4 gets pretty awesome. repeat viewings might be key.

V.

---

DROkayplayerâ„¢

final_prospect82
1358 posts
Sat Mar-16-13 11:01 PM

26. "agree with everything that said ^^^"
In response to Reply # 21

what's your theory one why Season 4 went to craps like it did?

I'm not into sci-fi like some and I didn't start watching the series until after it finished so I don't know the backstory to the show or anything but

it seemed rushed. as if the show was expected to go 5 seasons and they got the news it would so they tried to condense 2 seasons into one.

Also the 4th season went overboard with the destiny, faith, religion, can we all get along theme. This was prorperly balanced in season 3.

Also are you looking forward to the Syfy show Definance?

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Sat Mar-16-13 12:08 AM

16. "Watch the episode "Objects in Space", if you don't like that"
In response to Reply # 0

then its not for you.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sat Mar-16-13 05:10 AM

20. "that one gets better n better each time ive seen it"
In response to Reply # 16

V.

---

DROkayplayerâ„¢

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Sat Mar-16-13 12:16 AM

17. "the movie was ok"
In response to Reply # 0

watched on tv years after

while i love Gina Torres

westerns are usually really bad
this being a space western made it unusually bad
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

final_prospect82
1358 posts
Sat Mar-16-13 11:22 PM

28. "Glad I'm not the only one that struggles to like westerns"
In response to Reply # 17

I sat through the entire Deadwood series and it was ok at best.

And you're right, a sci-fi wester is garbage

lfresh
92696 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 11:51 AM

36. "i'm mostly been proven wrong last few years"
In response to Reply # 28

deadwood and firefly aint them though

but true grit
last burial of melquiades
assasination of jesse james...
no country for old men

maybe i just like josh brolin and tommy lee
and dont like john wayne
i'm ok with the siero leone ones
i should see the newman/redford one

but i am on automatic ugh with westerns for the most part
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

final_prospect82
1358 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 09:46 PM

37. "RE: i'm mostly been proven wrong last few years"
In response to Reply # 36

>deadwood and firefly aint them though
>
>
>but true grit

this was a little better than ok

>last burial of melquiades

never seen it

>assasination of jesse james...

saw it and didn't like it. but that may be my fualt. watched it late at night

>no country for old men

loved it

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Mar-22-13 06:03 PM

39. "Ok we are on the same page then"
In response to Reply # 37

See it if it's good

But the rest are really for fanboys
~~~~
~~~~

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Sat Mar-16-13 12:51 PM

22. "BSG is trash."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5180 posts
Sat Mar-16-13 02:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "I'm so glad I'm not the only one that didn't like BSG"
In response to Reply # 0

Everything everyone is saying in here about firefly I totally agree with.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Sat Mar-16-13 04:29 PM

24. "Never seen the show, but Serenity was garbage."
In response to Reply # 0

Straight trash.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

placee_22
Member since Sep 30th 2002
12956 posts
Sun Mar-17-13 09:40 PM

30. "That gotdamn episode when they went to the planet where Jane was a hero...."
In response to Reply # 0

was fantastic.

debo40oz
Member since Apr 16th 2003
4081 posts
Sun Mar-17-13 09:46 PM

31. "i get that song in my head randomly every once in a while"
In response to Reply # 30

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 02:37 AM

33. "Firefly was before BSG"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-18-13 02:43 AM by xangeluvr

FF 2002, BSG 2004. So what you said here makes no sense. For me, even though it was only a short 13 episode run, FF is hands down the show that i prefer. reasons i like this show are the writing (especially the wit and humor), the acting that brought the writing to life, and of course the characters and their interactions. those 3 things i think were better in FF. just my opinion.

>I know I haven't seen anyone saying it's better than BSG but
>it's not close. Coincidentally this show has some of the same
>shots and style as BSG.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

final_prospect82
1358 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 05:35 AM

34. "#7"
In response to Reply # 33
Mon Mar-18-13 05:36 AM by final_prospect82

please notice that nowhere in my orignal post did I say FF USES. All I said was had the same shots.

I knew FF came out before BSG.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 07:34 PM

35. "the characters/actors were so lovable, and the West/China thing"
In response to Reply # 0

was super intriguing, it's a shame they never really found time to explore that.

"Objects in Space" is a total outlier in the series, truthfully, but it's basically the blueprint for the movie and I think it's an amazing character study. Jubal Early is one of TV's great villains, IMO, and all he had was one episode.

Serenity is a flawed film, I'll agree with that. It's not fan service but at times it really threatens to feel like it. But the world is just so juicy and ripe for storytelling it's a real shame it had to die. Unlike some other folks, I grew up on westerns and Star Trek so, it's like...what else could I ask for but Firefly? I loved how the main characters were always broke as hell and the world was generally junk, too.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Wed Mar-20-13 02:59 PM

38. "Firefly was superior to every Sci-Fi Series before it..."
In response to Reply # 0

with regards to dialogue and character development. The end.

"naive as the dry leaves on the ground looking past the trees to the blue sky asking 'why me?'" -Blu

Why I still fuzz with the Lesson
http://open.spotify.com/user/brothersport86/playlist/3DhEhilho77Z0UCPbJlEJf

chi_soul
Member since Aug 18th 2002
2449 posts
Sat Mar-23-13 06:34 PM

40. "those lips!"
In response to Reply # 0

Morpheus is a lucky man...

http://cdn.hiphopdx.com//images/audio/6-Sean_Price_304x304.jpg

final_prospect82
1358 posts
Sun Mar-24-13 05:54 AM

41. "this reference went over my head"
In response to Reply # 40

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Sun Mar-24-13 09:40 PM

42. "http://g987fm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/fish.jpg"
In response to Reply # 41

http://g987fm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/fish.jpg

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

final_prospect82
1358 posts
Sun Mar-24-13 11:31 PM

44. "gotcha.."
In response to Reply # 42

definitely a reason why I;m watching Suits

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Sun Mar-24-13 11:28 PM

43. "I thought it was cool but didn't blow me away like BSG"
In response to Reply # 0

I wasn't trying to compare the two when I watched it. That said BSG was one of the best viewing experiences I've ever had for a TV show. The last seasons was some BS mostly but overall I love that show.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Mon Aug-22-16 11:42 AM

45. "Watching this again now"
In response to Reply # 0

It's very good still

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #644200 Previous topic | Next topic