Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #624724

Subject: "Y'all fux with Audiobooks? " Previous topic | Next topic
Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Wed Sep-05-12 12:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Y'all fux with Audiobooks? "

Dear PTP,

Y'al fux with audiobooks?

what sites do you guys use? Do you
just by them individually or subscribe to one of
these services? I'm sorta confused right now as to
what's out there, what is best

Sincerely,

The Orbster

----------------------------

Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it you? http://MatchShannon.com/

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Voraciously. I'm pretty much an audiobook addict.
Sep 05th 2012
Hook me up with your 'alternative' source.
Sep 05th 2012
Thank you for that.
Sep 05th 2012
Sep 05th 2012
           i was leaving after 3 months or so
Sep 05th 2012
Audible is probably the best
Sep 05th 2012
usually have one or two kids' books out from the library
Sep 05th 2012
HEAVILY
Sep 05th 2012
Nobody reads Burroughs like Bill or Bukowski like Chuck
Sep 05th 2012
Like they're saying... Audible.
Sep 05th 2012
OH YEAH: ALWAYS PREVIEW THE READER!!!
Sep 06th 2012
Oh yeah, something serious
Sep 09th 2012
I got 6 new joints this morning for a grand total of $32.
Sep 18th 2012
let me know how this is
Sep 18th 2012
Audible. I got Steve Jobs and DIsneyWar. Great "reads".
Sep 18th 2012
The Wake/Watch/Wonder trilogy may be the best produced book
Dec 21st 2012

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44828 posts
Wed Sep-05-12 12:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Voraciously. I'm pretty much an audiobook addict. "
In response to Reply # 0

I roll with Audible and I have two accounts at 2 books each per month. I've built up a big ass collection over the last year, because they have regular deals, like $6.95 a book for certain books, buy extra credits, shit like that. I've got well over 100 right now.

My Galaxy Player currently has on deck:

The Stand
It
Jacked- (The story of Grand Theft Auto, the game)
Blue Ocean Strategy- (A marketing book, more or less)
Trust Me, I'm Lying- Confessions of a Media Manipulator
Predator Nation (covers a ton of shit about the financial industry, presidential administrative policies, etc...)
Always Running (childhood favorite)
Daemon and Freedom
Amped
Robopacolypse
Family Secrets (BUSH family secrets.... good shit)
The Smartest Guys In The Room
The Rebel Entrepreneur
Start With Why- How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action
Steve Jobs
The Intelligent Entrepreneur
Free Marketing
1,000 Dollars and an Idea
Ghost In The Wires (Kevin Mitnick story)
The Art of Deception (Kevin Mitnicks book, more or less on social engineering... not bad, but kinda repetetive and a fairly dated.)
Change Anything
The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of The Cosmos
The Help
Losing My Cool (Fuck that guy for real)
The Zen of Social Media
The Facebook Effect
In The Plex (Google)
I'm Feeling Lucky (From a Google employee)
Obama's Wars
Game Change
Wicked
Kill The Dead
Thirteen
Revelation Space
WWW Trilogy
The Hunter Getting More
The Last Season (Phil Jackson's book on the 03-04 season)

MY S3 has a whole other library on it. More or less the same mix of sci fi, business/marketing, self help, general fiction, a few memoirs, etc.

I also have a ton of shit that I got through less honorable means, probably an equal number. All in all my paid collection is pretty solid, and my DL collection is equally sound.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Wed Sep-05-12 07:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Hook me up with your 'alternative' source."
In response to Reply # 1

If you dont mind

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Wed Sep-05-12 09:13 AM

5. "Thank you for that. "
In response to Reply # 1

Might hit you with more detailed questions soon

Cold Truth
44828 posts
Wed Sep-05-12 01:26 PM

7. "Sign up w/Audible through your Amazon account= 2 free credits. "
In response to Reply # 5

Then try to cancel, and they'll offer you a free book from a selected list or a $20 coupon or a free credit (I know it's changed a couple times) to stick around, so you can start out with three books to see if it's really your thing.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

hardware
42304 posts
Wed Sep-05-12 02:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "i was leaving after 3 months or so"
In response to Reply # 7

they offered 2 credits at $7

hardware
42304 posts
Wed Sep-05-12 07:15 AM

2. "Audible is probably the best"
In response to Reply # 0

Had the gold membership
Burned through The Millenium Trilogy and a few other mystery novels
Closed it up when it started getting expensive.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Sep-05-12 08:46 AM

4. "usually have one or two kids' books out from the library"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-05-12 08:48 AM by lonesome_d

which we listen to in the car (it kinda breaks my heart that the kids prefer stories to music, but oh well...) Currently listening to the 7th volume of Lemony Snicket's 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' as read by Tim Curry (infinitely preferable to the author, who did a few volumes as well).

Biggest hit as far as the parents are concerned was still Roald Dahl's 'Charlie' books as read by Eric Idle, who was magnificent.

As far as downloading sources go, my library does have a program (which I haven't used) for digital download loans which apparently works pretty well and has a huge selection. Only problem is the downloads are somehow encoded to delete themselves after two weeks, which is how the library is allowed to offer them.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6379 posts
Wed Sep-05-12 09:17 AM

6. "HEAVILY"
In response to Reply # 0

as a father of two young Gs, its damn hard for me to sit somewhere quietly and expect to not pass the fuck out, plus the audio format brings things to life and is more versatile.

do you insist on owning? if not, fuck with your local library. no need blowing a lot of dough on something you can put in the palm of your hand and aren't likely to listen to repeatedly. this year i've been kind of slow but in years past, i've been able to rip through 40-50 per year.

>
>Dear PTP,
>
>Y'al fux with audiobooks?
>
>what sites do you guys use? Do you
>just by them individually or subscribe to one of
>these services? I'm sorta confused right now as to
>what's out there, what is best
>
>
>Sincerely,
>
>The Orbster
>
>
>
>----------------------------
>
>Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it
>you? http://MatchShannon.com/
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"
>
>
>
>
>"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."
>
>(C)Keith Murray, "

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Wed Sep-05-12 02:37 PM

8. "Nobody reads Burroughs like Bill or Bukowski like Chuck"
In response to Reply # 0

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86665 posts
Wed Sep-05-12 02:55 PM

10. "Like they're saying... Audible."
In response to Reply # 0

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Cold Truth
44828 posts
Thu Sep-06-12 06:03 PM

11. "OH YEAH: ALWAYS PREVIEW THE READER!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-06-12 06:28 PM by Cold Truth

Theres NOTHING worse than getting a book with a great premise and a horrible reader. That's absolutely subjective, obviously, so if you get a guy with a voice you find hard to listen to, someone who's monotone or lacks the ability to give real life to characters, etc... the whole fucking book will suck.

If you're like me and generally don't enjoy listening to readers with Australian/English accents, this is especially bothersome. I've bought and used credits on promising books with intolverable accents. The English/Australian accents are especially numerous in self help, marketing, and business books, though I've found several in Sci-Fi books. This is why I've yet to finish a single Alastair Reynolds novel, because I struggle with the accent and vocal tone of the reader. The Revelation Space books are fucking dope with some very interesting ideas (sentient "doomsday class" weapons, people tapping into mass stream of conciousness), shit like that...but I can only listen for so long and it takes me forever to get through one. Same goes for Peter F. Hamilton and the Commonwealth Saga. I've still yet to finish one even half way.

I still haven't finished Game of Thrones. Amazing story, but I just flat don't like the dreary nature of the reader. He actually "fits" the tone of the books, but I just plain don't like his voice or style. It doesn't help that his interpretation of one of my favorite characters (Tyrion) sounds like a stereotypical LOTR/D&D style dwarf clashes with the smart, slick, witty portrayal we all know and love from Peter Dinklage, which falls much more in line with the way he's written.

For what it's worth, the Harry Potter books are vocally some of the absolute best produced books I've ever heard.

-Sig-

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Sun Sep-09-12 08:29 PM

12. "Oh yeah, something serious"
In response to Reply # 0

The best place to get them - THE LIBRARY.
It's a place where they let you check out books and shit FOR FREE.
FOR FREE YO!!!!!
I'm buggin, but yeah, I religiously check out my local library's audiobook section.
Someone else suggested previewing the reader - a suggestion I wholeheartedly second. Some of them Maggie Smith-style British women are hard to listen to for minutes, much less hours.
I've become a big sucker for all the hard-boiled, detective genre stuff, along with the standard classics.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

Cold Truth
44828 posts
Tue Sep-18-12 12:17 PM

13. "I got 6 new joints this morning for a grand total of $32. "
In response to Reply # 0

THIS is the real benefit of audible, the monthly sales. My library- which is fairly respectable- wouldn't be half of what it is without them. Just copped:

Too Big To Fail
"chronicling the events of the 2008 financial crisis and the collapse of Lehman Brothers from the point of view of Wall Street CEOs and US government regulators."

Interface (Neal Stephenson)
"Interface is a near-future thriller, set in 1996, in which a shadowy coalition bent on controlling the world economy attempts to manipulate a candidate for president of the United States through the use of a computer bio-chip implanted in his brain"

Variant
"Variant follows the character of Benson Fisher as he's sent to Maxfield Academy on a scholarship. To him this is an opportunity to leave his unhappy life and take on a hopeful new future. As soon as he arrives at school he discovers that the school is constantly supervised and that rule breaking is not tolerated at all. In order to survive you must join one of the three groups on campus. With his new friends, Benson discovers that there's a deeper and more sinister secret the school possesses and that in order to survive he must escape."

Going through the site a little later this morning, their "Surprise!" pop up came on, and I got another one..

Farnhams Freehold
"Farnham's Freehold is a post-apocalyptic tale, as the setup for the story is a direct hit by a nuclear weapon, which sends a fallout shelter containing a man, his wife, son, daughter, daughter's friend, and black domestic servant into the future. Heinlein drew on his own experience in building a fallout shelter under his own house in Colorado Springs, Colorado in the 1960s.".

Oh, and I used my remaining credit for the month to buy a John Grisham Two Pack- A Time To Kill and King of Torts. I'm a JG stan, even if his protagonists are all a bit too similar. All in all, it cost me roughly $32 (when you count the cost of the one credit used on the JG books) for the 6 books I got this morning.I'll probably buy three more for $33 and be all set for awhile.

-Sig-

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Tue Sep-18-12 01:33 PM

14. "let me know how this is"
In response to Reply # 13

>Too Big To Fail
>"chronicling the events of the 2008 financial crisis and the
>collapse of Lehman Brothers from the point of view of Wall
>Street CEOs and US government regulators."

I've been meaning to check it out.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Tue Sep-18-12 03:26 PM

15. "Audible. I got Steve Jobs and DIsneyWar. Great "reads"."
In response to Reply # 0

Cold Truth
44828 posts
Fri Dec-21-12 01:42 PM

16. "The Wake/Watch/Wonder trilogy may be the best produced book "
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-21-12 01:43 PM by Cold Truth

I've ever listened to.

The only real rival is the Harry Potter books.

For starters, there are several voice actors.'

Second, pretty much everyone does a credible, believable job doing other characters.

I know a lot of folks may dismiss this as some young adult drivel due to a 16 year old girl being the central protagonist, but it's truly far from it. People also get the idea that it's about the internet, which is also far from true. It's a Robert J. Sawyer book, fyi.

The story in a nutshell:

A blind girl is able to "see" the internet due to an error in a device created to help her see. At the same time, a sentient being composed of cellular automata is accidentally created on the internet. This being is able to "see" through her lense. The blind girl happens to be a brilliant mathematician, as she is the child of two equally brilliant parents with PHD's (Her mother is a Game Theorist, her father is an autistic Doctor of Theoretical Physics. The blind girl basically becomes the beings teacher.

So, WebMind, as he comes to be called, becomes a boon to society, solving many of the major problems of society and helping millions in smaller, more personal ways. Meanwhile, the US government is trying to take him out.

It's an exceptionally well written story to begin with, one that seems to deviate a great deal from the canon of AI centered sci-fi. The relationship between WebMind and Kaitlyn (the blind girl) is intriguing enough on it's own. In the end, WebMind exhibits a special brand of gangsta that I can't reveal. Great book though and very, very well acted.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #624724 Previous topic | Next topic