Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #616201

Subject: "Celeste and Jesse Forever trailer (Samberg/Rashida rom-com)" Previous topic | Next topic
ChampAreno
Member since Apr 29th 2010
2508 posts
Sun Jun-24-12 01:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Celeste and Jesse Forever trailer (Samberg/Rashida rom-com)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjxbVmxgY-Q&feature=player_embedded

Celeste (Jones) and Jesse (Samberg) met in high school, married young and are growing apart. Now thirty, Celeste is the driven owner of her own media consulting firm, Jesse is once again unemployed and in no particular rush to do anything with his life. Celeste is convinced that divorcing Jesse is the right thing to do — she is on her way up, he is on his way nowhere, and if they do it now instead of later, they can remain supportive friends. Jesse passively accepts this transition into friendship, even though he is still in love with her. As the reality of their separation sets in, Celeste slowly and painfully realizes she has been cavalier about their relationship, and her decision, which once seemed mature and progressive, now seems impulsive and selfish. But her timing with Jesse is less than fortuitous. While navigating the turbulent changes in their lives and in their hearts, these two learn that in order to truly love someone, you may have to let them go.

"Take one for the team when the opponents disperse damage"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i might have to see this
Jun 24th 2012
Yeah, looked better than expected. (Limited release 8/3)
Jun 24th 2012
That looks dope.
Jun 24th 2012
'Shida co-wrote it! I'm there.
Jun 24th 2012
I'll check for it
Jun 25th 2012
I am going to check this out...
Jun 25th 2012
They need to re-title this shit "The Neverending Story: The Divorce Vers...
Aug 01st 2012
Loosey-goosey break up story. It was fine. Loved the soundtrack.
Aug 06th 2012
Great soundtrack, good lead performances, fine movie.
Aug 08th 2012
i am fully prepared to hate it. will report back.
Aug 08th 2012
I second that emotion (c)
Aug 09th 2012
      didn't hate it...damn sure didn't love it.
Aug 11th 2012
This sounds AMAZING.
Aug 10th 2012
Fuck Rashida Jones.
Aug 11th 2012
Why yes, I'd love to.
Aug 11th 2012
I loved this film, way better than the Rom-Com it presents it's self as
Aug 11th 2012
I loved this movie..
Mar 18th 2013
The soundtrack is awesome and so is the film.
Mar 19th 2013
I really hated this flick. Made me not want to watch either...
Mar 18th 2013
Tragi-Rom
Mar 23rd 2013
save for the soundtrack, Rashida Jones, Chris Messina,
Mar 24th 2013
I see I'm in the minority here, but I really liked it.
Jun 01st 2013

forgivenphoenix
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2514 posts
Sun Jun-24-12 02:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i might have to see this"
In response to Reply # 0

it looks good. I'm glad Rashida is getting a lead role and Samberg seems pretty convincing as an earnest, yet hapless boyfriend.

when does this come out?

http://www.twitter.com/chriscjamison/

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Sun Jun-24-12 05:23 PM

2. "Yeah, looked better than expected. (Limited release 8/3)"
In response to Reply # 1

I hope Samberg goes for more stuff like this and less stuff like That's My Boy. I'm sure he made a shitload more for the latter but the former is better off for his long term career.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23885 posts
Sun Jun-24-12 07:08 PM

3. "That looks dope."
In response to Reply # 0

I'd file it in the "Movies About Me" section with "I Love You, Man", and "Eternal Sunshine...".

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sun Jun-24-12 08:50 PM

4. "'Shida co-wrote it! I'm there."
In response to Reply # 0

I gives a fuck.

Dae021
Member since Mar 12th 2003
39375 posts
Mon Jun-25-12 11:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I'll check for it"
In response to Reply # 0

It looks like its well written and I already like what I see of the Chemistry between Shida and Andy.

This one could be real dope.

Get out the room,
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Situation Podemy love

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpres

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Mon Jun-25-12 03:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I am going to check this out..."
In response to Reply # 0

and i'm not a fan of either Shida or Samberg...but there was something about the rawness of that trailer that hooked me...

plus, i'm down for watching some low-fi indies during the summer.

so, consider me in the movie theater for this one, matinee showing the first weekend.

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8620 posts
Wed Aug-01-12 10:36 PM

7. "They need to re-title this shit "The Neverending Story: The Divorce Vers..."
In response to Reply # 0

This shit had me for the first 30 or so minutes and then I stopped giving a fuck. Seriously, this movie was mostly one sided and told from Celeste's side of things. And I understand they were hurt and going through a divorce, but seriously I saw this shit done was better in Blue Valentine. There was like 10 parts were I though okay this is the end. And it kept going. Also, no one laughed when the jokes were made.

With all that said the fact that Rashida Jones touched me is heavenly. I may never wash my hands again.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Mon Aug-06-12 12:30 AM

8. "Loosey-goosey break up story. It was fine. Loved the soundtrack."
In response to Reply # 0

I have to disagree with bwood, though, in that it's tough to compare this to Blue Valentine. For one, BV concerns the serious, intense and urgent details regarding the death of a relationship in a working-class city. Once those two separate, it's a wrap. The couple in this movie is younger, more urbane ("HIPSTER!!!!!!!!!!!"), and are cool with still being cool after things are over. They may officially be on the outs, but they're still friends, and unlike the fractured couple in Blue Valentine, the possibility of reconciliation is always in the air.

Blue Valentine may have been more compelling to watch, mainly because of the work of Ryan Gosling, but this movie is cool to watch in its own amiable, shaggy dog way.

The narrative is pretty loose. The thing I liked about it is, once Celeste realizes that she made a mistake in asking for a divorce, the movie didn't shift into madcap rom-com territory, where Celeste spent the rest of the movie getting herself into zany situations in order to win Jesse back. She continues on with her life, but admits (repeatedly) how much she misses her bud Jesse.

I also didn't have a problem with the fact that this movie is, for all intents and purposes, Celeste's story. We see her do the majority of dating. We see her call and stare into the distance and long for Jesse. We also see her making moves at work, which was a funny-yet-jarring subplot involving a tart pop singer and a questionable logo. While this diversion gave us some extra laughs, I don't know if it was really needed.

But make no mistake, the movie is, for the most part, funny. This is not a searing portrait of divorce set in the world of L.A. hipsters. It's about a woman coming to terms with the fact that the love of her life has moved on, which I thought was an interesting take. Again, I know we get movies where a couple breaks up and the woman resorts to all kinds of zany antics to win her guy back, but this ain't that movie, and for that, it gets points from me.

Rashida was good. Samburg plays it relatively straight, except for a few moments when he goofs off with Rashida. He was okay. I thought that Will MacCormack was funny as the dope dealer/friend to both.

Here's the main problem I had with the movie. I easily bought Rashida and Samburg's chemistry... as good, good friends. I didn't buy their chemistry as a couple. Part of that, I think, is that while the movie starts with some kind of herky-jerky montage of their evolving relationship, I never got the sense that this was a real couple. Not sure if some extra backstory would have helped or not, but it was just tough to buy this romantic relationship. As friends, they got on fine, and it was fun to watch them pal around together, but I just couldn't get with them being a long-term couple.

Cool flick. No need to rush out and see it, though.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86675 posts
Wed Aug-08-12 09:18 PM

9. "Great soundtrack, good lead performances, fine movie."
In response to Reply # 0

Thought it'd annoy me and it didn't. Rashida needs a big vehicle to be the lead in-- she's charming, hilarious, pretty, can do drama and comedy and switch between both effortlessly, etc. Samberg showed he's got chops too. Some really strong and truthful scenes, some really funny moments...

... but some contrived stuff too. With Jesse as such an obvious bum, it definitely paints a one-sided picture... yet the film tries to give Jesse some depth later. I felt it should've focused on either solely Celeste or given Jesse more depth and screen time. Some clutter with the supporting character scenes didn't really add too much. The handheld "indie" direction moving in and out of focus for artsiness annoyed me.

Still, worth seeing. Good date flick-- my lady thoroughly enjoyed it.

And the soundtrack kicks fucking ass.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Wed Aug-08-12 09:44 PM

10. "i am fully prepared to hate it. will report back. "
In response to Reply # 0

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

elcurly117
Member since May 11th 2008
598 posts
Thu Aug-09-12 03:54 PM

11. "I second that emotion (c)"
In response to Reply # 10

n/m

---------------------------------------
Todo lo peligroso se convierte en plata, lo seguro no deja ningun peso.

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Sat Aug-11-12 09:30 PM

16. "didn't hate it...damn sure didn't love it. "
In response to Reply # 11

samberg is a terrible actor and his gray teeth distracted me.

rashida is not a lead.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Fri Aug-10-12 05:00 PM

12. "This sounds AMAZING."
In response to Reply # 0

I can't wait to see it.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Ghetto Black
Member since Dec 24th 2004
10172 posts
Sat Aug-11-12 02:48 PM

13. "Fuck Rashida Jones."
In response to Reply # 0

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Sat Aug-11-12 06:02 PM

14. "Why yes, I'd love to."
In response to Reply # 13

I repeat, I gives a fuck.

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Sat Aug-11-12 07:28 PM

15. "I loved this film, way better than the Rom-Com it presents it's self as"
In response to Reply # 0

It actually tried to dig a little deeper into the demise of a relationship than most films. definitely didn't go the way I thought it would and Samberg did a good job imo.

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2579 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 04:50 PM

17. "I loved this movie.."
In response to Reply # 0

Very well done romantic dramedy. Rashida is actually pretty hilarious in this.

Nice soundtrack.

Samberg used just the right amount of restraint as well.

Very grown up way of looking at relationships, I thought.

muzuabo
Member since Dec 03rd 2009
2064 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 08:07 PM

19. "The soundtrack is awesome and so is the film. "
In response to Reply # 17

This was a very honest and relatable flick. All of the characters were likeable.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 05:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "I really hated this flick. Made me not want to watch either..."
In response to Reply # 0

of the main characters ever again.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Sat Mar-23-13 09:38 PM

20. "Tragi-Rom"
In response to Reply # 0

Not much comedy

Was pleasant
Refreshing
Both characters were um... Had issues and not very likable
Like I like rahida and samberg
But those characters were really annoying
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Sun Mar-24-13 07:13 PM

21. "save for the soundtrack, Rashida Jones, Chris Messina,"
In response to Reply # 0

Frodo Baggins as her gay best friend (!!!! OOH, HOW YOU DOIN?!!!!!), etc.

shit was dull as fuck.

Andy Samberg does not *NOT* have serious chops...this is a character he should do well and he didn't.

I do agree that Rashida can step beyond this and do more dramatic work, she's growing on me since save for her being attractive, I never got her appeal at all...

but, meh....

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Sat Jun-01-13 01:34 PM

22. "I see I'm in the minority here, but I really liked it."
In response to Reply # 0

Great soundtrack, poignant story, I think Rashida put in some good work here. I agree Andy didn't really do much, but overall, I really dug this.

Takes me back to my time in L.A. and my divorce, so I might be biased, but this was good shit in my book. I'd def be interested in seeing more from her.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #616201 Previous topic | Next topic