Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #613758

Subject: "Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap (Ice-T and Baybutt, 2012)" Previous topic | Next topic
ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 10:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap (Ice-T and Baybutt, 2012)"
Wed Jun-06-12 11:01 AM by ZooTown74

Looking forward to seeing this

http://youtu.be/AhwBUydknWI

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
For newbies mostly...
Jun 15th 2012
A cliff's notes version of rappers talking about hip hop
Jun 15th 2012
Better shot and edited than I expected
Jun 30th 2012
After a second viewing, it's still terrible.
Dec 27th 2012
thank you
Dec 27th 2012
      I'm the reply to a post nigga/put some organic boysenberry jam on my...
Dec 27th 2012
I think I turned it off after an hour when I came across it on Netflix
Dec 27th 2012
I started a post on this in the General board about 2 months ago (link)
Dec 28th 2012
not good. very self-indulgent. strong concept + poor execution
Jan 02nd 2013

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8629 posts
Fri Jun-15-12 12:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "For newbies mostly..."
In response to Reply # 0

Really well shot and edited, but most of this shit hip-hop fans already know. For us veterans, it's awesome seeing all our favorties freestyle or do a quick rhyme from their catalog or another artist's catalog.

Surprised to see no one from the South was interviewed. I guess Andre and Big Boi were busy.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Fri Jun-15-12 05:16 PM

2. "A cliff's notes version of rappers talking about hip hop"
In response to Reply # 0

There's no through-line to speak of but it was cool to hear some of your favorite rappers wax poetic on what it takes to rap

It's all mutual admiration society storytelling and anecdotes, along with snippets of hip hop classics and LOTS of overhead shots of NYC and L.A.

The funniest moments to me were the off-the-cuff ones, such as Grandmaster Caz writing a rhyme, Ice-T trying to tell bystanders to keep it moving as he interviewed Q-Tip on a New York street, and Eminem reciting one of the early, EARLY Ice-T rap songs

I, too, was surprised we didn't get any perspective from the South. Would have been nice to hear from cats like OutKast or T.I. or Scarface

Overall, a nice diversion, worth a Netflix stream if nothing else

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Sat Jun-30-12 10:05 AM

3. "Better shot and edited than I expected"
In response to Reply # 0

Limitations in perspective showed when it came to west coast footage though

Started out great did become tiring after a while
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Deluge
Charter member
64711 posts
Thu Dec-27-12 08:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "After a second viewing, it's still terrible."
In response to Reply # 0

It's an extremely incoherent film that goes all over the place. There are way too many shots of Ice walking around staring at nothing, on top of way too many helicopter shots of NYC and LA. Some of the greats are MIA, while others seem rushed. The NYC interviews come across as if they only had 1 day to shoot. An example of this is the Q-Tip interview outside of Starbucks where Ice goes off on bystanders twice. Other shots have absolutely no relevance such as the endless shots of Caz writing and smoking.

In the end you're basically watching Ice-T visit rappers, rap with them and tell them his own stories while his documentary lacks any story.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu Dec-27-12 03:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "thank you"
In response to Reply # 4

it was horrible. I couldnt get through the entire movie. I mean not only was there no rhyme or reason to who he talked to and what about. But did everyone need to spit a "freestyle" before or after EVERY fucking interview? Awful.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Dec-27-12 07:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "I'm the reply to a post nigga/put some organic boysenberry jam on my..."
In response to Reply # 5

toast nigga"

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15322 posts
Thu Dec-27-12 07:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I think I turned it off after an hour when I came across it on Netflix"
In response to Reply # 0

Cool idea, but there's a LOT of shots of Ice-T walking around the streets of New York, and it's just not very interesting to see him talk to the guys he's talking to because he comes off like how I interviewed rappers when I was working for a college newspaper

aka scared as balls to ask truly interesting questions.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

CaptainRook
Charter member
4937 posts
Fri Dec-28-12 12:53 AM

8. "I started a post on this in the General board about 2 months ago (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=11608860&mesg_id=11608860&listing_type=search

<<<<"Nothings more attractive than a heavy praying woman" © Andre 3000

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8061 posts
Wed Jan-02-13 03:46 PM

9. "not good. very self-indulgent. strong concept + poor execution"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-02-13 03:47 PM by bearfield

i was expecting some "inside baseball" on the art of rapping. things like structure and technique and syllable counting, etc. all i got was a bunch of "you should respect your elders and write down your rhymes." i think it's telling that he didn't interview anyone under the age of 35

how do you interview raekwon, author of one of the most influential rap albums ever released, a master of figuratively placing the listener in a theater seat and rapping a movie for them, and only ask him "what does it mean to be wack?" what a waste

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #613758 Previous topic | Next topic