Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #610142

Subject: "Gangster Squad (Fleischer, 2012) " Previous topic | Next topic
SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed May-09-12 06:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Gangster Squad (Fleischer, 2012) "
Wed May-09-12 07:01 PM by SoulHonky

Now this is what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yc3Ab52uqM8#!

Los Angeles, 1949. Ruthless, Brooklyn-born mob king Mickey Cohen (Sean Penn) runs the show in this town, reaping the ill-gotten gains from the drugs, the guns, the prostitutes and--if he has his way--every wire bet placed west of Chicago. And he does it all with the protection of not only his own paid goons, but also the police and the politicians who are under his control. It's enough to intimidate even the bravest, street-hardened cop...except, perhaps, for the small, secret crew of LAPD outsiders led by Sgt. John O'Mara (Josh Brolin) and Jerry Wooters (Ryan Gosling), who come together to try to tear Cohen's world apart. "Gangster Squad" is a colorful retelling of events surrounding the LAPD's efforts to take back their nascent city from one of the most dangerous mafia bosses of all time.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I hope Fleischer rights the ship after 30 Minutes or Less.
May 09th 2012
trailer looks v generic IMO
May 10th 2012
i don't wanna agree with this but i do
May 10th 2012
yeah
May 11th 2012
Yeah. On paper= must see. Trailer= ehhhh
May 12th 2012
Digital definitely gives it more of a TV feel
May 12th 2012
shit looks fucking G'd up
May 10th 2012
AWW SHIT! GANGSTA SHIT!
May 10th 2012
CRAZY STUPID LOVE REUNION!
May 10th 2012
Nolte
May 10th 2012
jayz songs stay up in trailers nowadays...
May 10th 2012
that song was the worst thing about the trailer...
May 22nd 2012
      man you crazy
Jul 25th 2012
nothing says authentic 40s Michey Cohen gangster movie
May 12th 2012
You're right, someone should've caught that
Jan 09th 2013
No ma'am...I was just hoping to take you to bed *LoL*
May 21st 2012
Moved to January 11, 2013 (swipe)
Jul 25th 2012
Because a different killing spree is better
Jul 25th 2012
I wonder if there'll be an Oscar qualifying run?
Jul 25th 2012
      I didn't really think that shit looked like an Oscar contender anyhow..
Jul 25th 2012
      Couldn't agree more. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Jul 25th 2012
Should've been better w/ all the talent involved. Lol @ Ehhmeh Stone.
Jan 08th 2013
Sean Penn "might've overacted a bit"? You don't say!
Jan 08th 2013
I can't comment on this flick as I haven't seen it yet but...
Jan 08th 2013
I thought the tone of the movie was *supposed* to be hammy
Jan 08th 2013
This has to have had the most cliche'ed trailer ive ever seen
Jan 09th 2013
This is getting some shitty reviews
Jan 11th 2013
If this is any indication, the Justice Leauge movie is gonna be rough
Jan 11th 2013
The Basterds in LA as played by Dick Tracy (spoilers)
Jan 12th 2013
      agree
Jan 13th 2013
Sadly, the worst movie I've seen this year.
Jan 13th 2013
we're 13 days in???
Jan 13th 2013
who's responsible for fucking up Gosling's swag
Jan 13th 2013
AN EPIC PIECE OF SHIT IN EVERY WAY IMAGINABLE.
May 28th 2013
RE: What are your worst of 2013 so far
May 29th 2013
I couldn't even finish this movie
May 30th 2013

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed May-09-12 08:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I hope Fleischer rights the ship after 30 Minutes or Less."
In response to Reply # 0

Looks great from the trailer.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Thu May-10-12 07:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "trailer looks v generic IMO"
In response to Reply # 0

can't quite put my finger on it but there's a vibe here that screams subpar to me (maybe it's the cinematography that feels a little MTV-ish although I'm not sure why)
And Gosling's voice sounds stupid. I've yet to dislike him in a role, but this trailer is not making me want to see him, or the movie.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Thu May-10-12 06:52 PM

6. "i don't wanna agree with this but i do"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu May-10-12 06:54 PM by Mynoriti

i LOVE that they're doing a movie about the LA gangster squad(LA confidential touched on it some), and that mickey cohen is getting a full movie... the cast is great, and i'll watch pretty much watch any movie with tommy guns... but generic was probably the best word for the trailer

hope we're both wrong tho

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Fri May-11-12 03:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "yeah"
In response to Reply # 2

this and Lawless remain high on my list, but neither trailer wow'd me. still optimistic considering the cast and directors for both.

--------

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Sat May-12-12 02:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Yeah. On paper= must see. Trailer= ehhhh"
In response to Reply # 2

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Sat May-12-12 03:25 PM

12. "Digital definitely gives it more of a TV feel"
In response to Reply # 2

I guess I was always expecting something pulpy since it's coming from the director of Zombieland and 30 Seconds or Less. I was always hoping for a better version of Mobsters than a new LA Confidential.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Thu May-10-12 09:29 AM

3. "shit looks fucking G'd up"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm there. My nigga Anthony Mackie is in it, the tommy gun is the star of the flick, and they used Jay-Z's "Oh My God" to good effect.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Thu May-10-12 10:42 AM

4. "AWW SHIT! GANGSTA SHIT!"
In response to Reply # 0

It *does* look derivative, and I'm not sure if the world wanted/needed to see another Gosling-Stone hookup, but of course I'm there

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu May-10-12 12:31 PM

5. "CRAZY STUPID LOVE REUNION!"
In response to Reply # 4

Shit, I'd be happy to see those two start making a lot of movies together.

And yeah, it's derivative and probably closer to Mobsters than LA Confidential but hell, I kinda liked Mobsters.

----

Travis Holden
Member since Feb 15th 2007
240 posts
Thu May-10-12 08:15 PM

7. "Nolte"
In response to Reply # 0

Love that Nolte is in this; he's been on a roll lately. Plus, wasn't his role in Mulholland Falls similar to a gangster squad? All I remember of that joint is Jennifer Connelly.

---
"Every Golden Age is as much an act of disregard as it is of felicity."

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Thu May-10-12 08:29 PM

8. "jayz songs stay up in trailers nowadays..."
In response to Reply # 0

anybody think Brolin looks like dude in boardwalk empire on this?

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue May-22-12 07:49 PM

14. "that song was the worst thing about the trailer... "
In response to Reply # 8

..and miles to go before i sleep...

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Wed Jul-25-12 01:58 PM

19. "man you crazy"
In response to Reply # 14

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

jswerve386
Member since Jun 25th 2007
8979 posts
Sat May-12-12 02:03 PM

10. "nothing says authentic 40s Michey Cohen gangster movie"
In response to Reply # 0

like playing Jay Z in the trailer.

This movie looks like it will be shitty.

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 12:46 AM

25. "You're right, someone should've caught that"
In response to Reply # 10

Pretty glaring anachronism imo

-----------------------------
http://talestosuffice.com/
@kennykeil

no_i_cant_dance
Member since Apr 10th 2006
5577 posts
Mon May-21-12 04:19 PM

13. "No ma'am...I was just hoping to take you to bed *LoL*"
In response to Reply # 0

nm

<<Mood...Poppy Okotcha in Look 1 at Ashish Fall 2016

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa7KBq0q5bU

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Wed Jul-25-12 11:15 AM

15. "Moved to January 11, 2013 (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

deadline.com/hollywood:

>New Date For ‘Gangster Squad’: January 11
By MIKE FLEMING | Wednesday July 25, 2012 @ 7:48am PDT

Warner Bros is expected to announce today that it has moved Gangster Squad from September 7 to January 11. The move allows the filmmakers to excise a shootout scene that takes place in a movie theater, which nobody wants to see after the Aurora, Colorado, tragedy at the midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises. There will be an alternate murder spree scene shot, but it will not be in a movie theater. The move also creates some distance for the film, which unfortunately had a trailer attached to the Batman finale. Fox faced a similar dilemma with its comedy The Watch. Even though that film is about a volunteer neighborhood patrol encountering aliens, its original title Neighborhood Watch brought unfortunate connotations to the fatal shooting of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman. Changing that title was an attempt to avoid appearing sensitive and tasteless, and it seems to have worked.

The Ruben Fleischer-directed Gangster Squad is an L.A. Confidential-style period mob tale that stars Ryan Gosling, Sean Penn, Josh Brolin and Emma Stone, and it takes place in the 1940s and ’50s during the crime reign of Mickey Cohen. The six months of breathing room should help bring the focus back to the storyline, and not a murder spree that has no other correlation to the film.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Wed Jul-25-12 11:32 AM

16. "Because a different killing spree is better"
In response to Reply # 15

I get why they are doing it but it seems kind of silly to me that somehow things are better because they're replacing it with a different mass murder. There just seems to be something wrong there.

----

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Wed Jul-25-12 11:38 AM

17. "I wonder if there'll be an Oscar qualifying run?"
In response to Reply # 15

Regardless, it's a stupid stupid move. Especially cutting the movie. That lets James Holmes and people like him win.

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Wed Jul-25-12 12:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "I didn't really think that shit looked like an Oscar contender anyhow.."
In response to Reply # 17

I mean, it certainly has an impressive slate of actors, but the trailer made it look like they were aiming for the MTV crowd. I don't know an awful lot about it though, so I could be wrong...

----

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Wed Jul-25-12 01:59 PM

20. "Couldn't agree more. Dumb, dumb, dumb."
In response to Reply # 17

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 12:28 PM

21. "Should've been better w/ all the talent involved. Lol @ Ehhmeh Stone."
In response to Reply # 0

I understand Chastain was probably busy. Christina Hendricks also worked w/ Gos before & portrays the saucy tomato role it seemed her character was going for to a T. They tried to get by on some "she's his etiquette coach" shit but I wasn't buyin it.

Gos is good but that voice is somewhat jarring. Also made me want to leave the theater several times to have a smoke.

I wonder why Penn has never played a Cohen type character before. He really stood out. Might've overacted in a scene or two but I can't blame him for tryin to spice things up a bit. The script doesn't give him or anyone else a lot to work with.

Brolin was beasting a few years ago but it seemed like he sleptwalk through this. He's not bad. He's just there. Michael Shannon might've been a better choice. Brolin probably would've flourished more as one of Cohen's henchman. As good as he was in American Gangster, he's woefully average here.

Patrick, Peña, Mackie, Nolte, Ribisi & the rest of em are all just kinda there to make up the rest of the squad.

The action is good enough to make up for the trite family stuff in between. Entertaining for the most part but nothing exceptional you haven't seen in this genre before.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 12:53 PM

22. "Sean Penn "might've overacted a bit"? You don't say!"
In response to Reply # 21

lol

I mean, it seems overacting is all good fun for a role like this, but yeah, Penn's been an overactor for years

muzuabo
Member since Dec 03rd 2009
2064 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 05:39 PM

23. "I can't comment on this flick as I haven't seen it yet but..."

American Gangster had a well written script.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44844 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 11:16 PM

24. "I thought the tone of the movie was *supposed* to be hammy"

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 09:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "This has to have had the most cliche'ed trailer ive ever seen"
In response to Reply # 0

Every scene, EVERY LINE, was taken from another gangster flick. Like, I can't believe it was unintentional.

quikfit
Charter member
1897 posts
Fri Jan-11-13 09:06 AM

27. "This is getting some shitty reviews"
In response to Reply # 0

But I still want to see it!

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Soul music is bad, bad, bad!

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Fri Jan-11-13 02:43 PM

28. "If this is any indication, the Justice Leauge movie is gonna be rough"
In response to Reply # 0

Will Beall who wrote this is writing JL and wow yo.

1st problem is the script

2nd problem is this shit is so over stylized that it's distracting at points.

Ryan Gosling's accent is really distracting at points and it's cool seeing the cast having fun but yea. This is Netflix shit.

Only good thing is that the minorities (Pena and Mackie) survived.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Sat Jan-12-13 03:11 AM

29. "The Basterds in LA as played by Dick Tracy (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 28

And written by the last man on the "Castle" writing staff.

I can't believe the screenwriter is working on JL, Lethal Weapon 5, and Logan's Run. He's a former cop so I assume he's got some shit on people because this was bad.

I enjoyed the first half of the film for what it was (I was looking for something on par with "Mobsters", which this ultimately wasn't) but man, this shit falls apart fast and the final act is borderline parody. Not only did it hit every gangster movie cliche, it did them about as cheesily as possible.

Zombieland was a perfect storm for Fleisher. After this and 30 Minutes or Less, I have little faith in him helming a film.

I laughed when Robert Patrick seemed to try to outdo Marion Cotllard's Dark Knight Rises death. (The climatic Untouchables moment also was so bad that I laughed.)

On a mildly related note, if people are gong to bitch about Zero Dark Thirty, they should hate this movie which not only glorifies violence (save for a second of remorse by Brolin's character) but it changes history to make violence seem like it led to the solution. (Ironically, the book they shut down is actually what likely led to Cohen's real arrest - tax evasion.)

It's worth a rental but it's by no means a good movie.

----

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sun Jan-13-13 12:42 PM

31. "agree"
In response to Reply # 29

And Yo!, when we walked out the theater I told my girl, damn, this was like a rated R Dick Tracy

Solaam
Charter member
2997 posts
Sun Jan-13-13 05:28 AM

30. "Sadly, the worst movie I've seen this year."
In response to Reply # 0

Cliched, overacting, disjointed. Ugh.

Nice costume and set designs though.

PS3/Xbox ID: BackDo Do
Wii: Solaam

astralblak
20029 posts
Sun Jan-13-13 12:44 PM

32. "we're 13 days in???"
In response to Reply # 30

But yeah, it wasnt good.

astralblak
20029 posts
Sun Jan-13-13 12:49 PM

33. "who's responsible for fucking up Gosling's swag"
In response to Reply # 0

Who okayed that ridiculous accent

And who's dick is Emma Stone's agent sucking. She a cool little actress. Got that sweet red head thing going, BUT she aint no dime and def aint got the sex appeal that role required for that role. Her ordinary broadness kept taking me out of scenes

Zoo already pretty much covered why this film sucked

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Tue May-28-13 08:21 PM

34. "AN EPIC PIECE OF SHIT IN EVERY WAY IMAGINABLE."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-28-13 08:21 PM by The Analyst

I mean, I guess it's a stretch to say this was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, but I still can't think of a single redeeming quality. Literally every single thing about it sucks. It's going to be nearly impossible to dethrone this from my bottom 5 of 2013.

----

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Wed May-29-13 09:35 PM

35. "RE: What are your worst of 2013 so far"
In response to Reply # 34

This year got of to such an awful start.I bet you gonna have two worst of lists. The first list will be for Jan.-June 2013 and the second from June- Dec.2013.

lol

Biggamal
Member since Jun 21st 2011
614 posts
Thu May-30-13 02:25 PM

36. "I couldn't even finish this movie"
In response to Reply # 0

Shit was Bad Boys II: 1950.

Well they used to call me Maf

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #610142 Previous topic | Next topic