Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #583589

Subject: "What Have You Watched Lately? (October Edition)" Previous topic | Next topic
Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Sun Oct-09-11 08:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What Have You Watched Lately? (October Edition)"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Winter's Bone!
Oct 09th 2011
Showed the opening from that film to my tech theater class.
Oct 09th 2011
Parks and Recreation (Season 3)
Oct 09th 2011
Machine gun preacher
Oct 09th 2011
Bad movie I watched this weekend: The A Team
Oct 10th 2011
uh-huh...i loved it and hope they make a sequel
Oct 10th 2011
Rewatched this too. Hated it less the second time.
Oct 10th 2011
RE: Is the informant (2009) Matt's worst film?
Oct 10th 2011
some people find it hilarious
Oct 10th 2011
I love this movie and love his performance.
Oct 10th 2011
Another way too long list
Oct 10th 2011
getouttahere!
Oct 10th 2011
what do you love so much about it?
Oct 10th 2011
      comedy is subjective
Oct 10th 2011
           I agree with everything except this
Oct 10th 2011
You mean Michelle & I haven't seen it yet but you're right
Oct 11th 2011
RE: Romance in Venice
Oct 11th 2011
White Teeth
Oct 11th 2011
RE: Rio (2011) flies high
Oct 21st 2011
RE:Born to be wild
Oct 22nd 2011
The Rum Diary
Oct 24th 2011
RE: Brazil (1985)
Oct 27th 2011
Pusher I
Oct 28th 2011
Just a few:
Oct 28th 2011
RE: Stephen King
Oct 29th 2011

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Sun Oct-09-11 08:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Winter's Bone!"
In response to Reply # 0

clearly the best thing i've seen in a minute. in some ways a much much rawer, grimier version of the bennett stuff on justified. the beautiful hopelessness of the setting, the performances.. all top notch. gonna watch again this week.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86673 posts
Sun Oct-09-11 10:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Showed the opening from that film to my tech theater class."
In response to Reply # 1

We're learning about establishing setting and the tone of the film from the first pictures we see in a film or play, before the dialogue begins. The opening to Winter's Bone is an awesome example of this.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Mageddon
Charter member
4018 posts
Sun Oct-09-11 11:24 PM

3. "Parks and Recreation (Season 3)"
In response to Reply # 0

My favorite, and probably the best comedy on television. I absolutely love this show.

also...

Louie - A close second in the comedy department. The freedom he gets, allows him to do a lot of amazing things.

Ken Burns's Prohibition - Obviously it wasn't built for this reason, but it's a great companion piece to Boardwalk Empire.

Project Runway - This has been the best season since that "hot tranny mess" guy won, and probably its most balance season ever. Also, the Trini girl can get it.

Kramer vs Kramer - Didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would. Not really a fan of child actors, and this movie had a lot child.

New Girl - Watched the third episode, which apparently was supposed to be the best so far. The group dance at the end of the episode was sweet, but otherwise, I hated it. Zooey is supposed to be the main draw here? I'm not seeing adorable at all. I find her to be very irritating.

loki2stunt
Member since Sep 20th 2009
764 posts
Sun Oct-09-11 11:30 PM

4. "Machine gun preacher"
In response to Reply # 0

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Mon Oct-10-11 08:41 AM

5. "Bad movie I watched this weekend: The A Team"
In response to Reply # 0

Comedic elements were so forced but at least it moved stupidly fast and was over quickly. I hope Hollywood gets over this "make a movie as if there will be sequels" thing.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Oct-10-11 03:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "uh-huh...i loved it and hope they make a sequel"
In response to Reply # 5

good mindless fun...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Mon Oct-10-11 09:20 PM

15. "Rewatched this too. Hated it less the second time."
In response to Reply # 5

Easily the best part of the movie is Patrick Wilson as the hammy CIA officer-- he might even be out-hamming Jason Patric who plays the EXACT same role in The Losers.

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Mon Oct-10-11 02:15 PM

6. "RE: Is the informant (2009) Matt's worst film?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think satire was the wrong approach for the subject matter (whistleblowing). This film is not funny and all of those ridiculous random thoughts in Whitacre's head were annoying.

Grade D

Duval Spit
Member since Jan 21st 2009
3355 posts
Mon Oct-10-11 02:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "some people find it hilarious"
In response to Reply # 6

I am not one of those people.

<----

Larry Otis!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeM89CITvMc

and his free new singles, produced by Tough Junkie!
http://soundcloud.com/toughjunkie/sets/larry-otis-leaks

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Mon Oct-10-11 09:19 PM

14. "I love this movie and love his performance."
In response to Reply # 6

One of my favorite movies the year it came out, and his performance may have been my favorite of the year as well. Certainly one of my favorite movies recently about corporate corruption, and if you don't like it on that level, on any level it's a fascinating true story.

Duval Spit
3355 posts
Mon Oct-10-11 02:39 PM

7. "Another way too long list"
In response to Reply # 0

Sexy Beast - Why didn't anybody tell me how surreal this movie was? I was all about it from top to bottom. It certainly wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, and it seemed as if some of the symbolism was heavy handed and a bit obvious, but the combination of an interesting side of the heist movie with the surrealist images made this well worth an eventual rewatch.

Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story - I liked the commentary for the movie more than the movie itself.

Flesh + Blood - I did not expect this movie to be as sexually explicit as it was. I expected the gratuitous violence, but the sex I had seen in PVH's other pictures couldn't hold a candle to the seemingly unending depravity of "Flesh + Blood." It's not a knock or a recommendation, but I feel like I've gotta let it be known before I talk well about it. The movie flies by at an incredible pace, Rutger Hauer and Jennifer Jason Leigh are both fantastic, the violence is over-the-top, and the religious overtones are devilish. This is not for the faint of heart, but it's a must see for all VerHoeven fans.

Slap Shot - Both better and worse than I expected. I laughed a lot, and it was definitely a better overall film than I expected, but it was repetitive, overly long, and rarely advanced the story. Whenever it did take a step forward I was happy, but I got kind of bored of all the hockey (I know, I know) and they didn't do a good enough job of showing just how much better the team was getting except in popularity. A recommend, but I don't know if I'll watch it again any time soon.

Fall Guy - This is a perfect example of comedy not standing up to changes in time or culture. I am a huge fan of the Yakuza Papers, and after reading about how awarded this film was I was very excited, but too much of it didn't work. I loved the main character and his dedication to his wife, so the end worked very well for me, but the parts in montage were the parts I wanted to be the bulk of the film. I know it was based on a stage play, but I thought it would have worked better if the character of the "big star" was cut and we were just given a stunt man going to further and further lengths for the woman he loved.

The Verdict - Y'all already know: http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=579990&mesg_id=579990&listing_type=search

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - woooooooooo, y'all did not steer me wrong at all with this one. In the first scene I felt trepidation at the look of the mother in CGI and the way in which Caesar was discovered, but I was all in for the rest of it. I wonder how it will work on repeat viewings only because I kept saying (either internally or externally) 'oh shit, y'all fucked up now' but in the end there wasn't as much revenge as I expected. I can't say I disliked the end though because I thought it very reasonably set up the obvious sequel to come and I really didn't need/expect the apes to take over the world by the end of this movie. Caesar got his own little corner of the world and I got resolution; good enough for me.

Drive - I am definitely going to see this again (for free this time, thank you) It's already been discussed ad nauseam so I will only say two things: 1) Apparently I need to see "Thief." 2) It seemed structurally and tonally extremely similar to "A History of Violence," which I think I like more at the end of the day, even though "Drive" was obviously a more stylish picture. Still, I could watch this kind of thing all day - worthwhile exposition leading to exciting resolutions. Yes please.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - Saw it for free. I wouldn't even recommend it for free.

Source Code - I liked it more than I thought I would based on the original trailer, but y'all overhyped this one. The ending was interesting, but it felt like it was also the only thing the director got to add to make it more interesting for himself. It certainly was not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but much of it felt similar to any rash of bad Philip K. Dick rip-offs and there wasn't enough genuinely interesting filmmaking to warrant a full Seal of Approval. Also, Bridget Monaghan should stop getting work. I don't like Jake much either, but he was bearable. The ending also worked against the extremely coincidental "deaths" that Jake went through like clockwork. I understood how it worked for getting him back and forth, but it felt forced. This one needed a little more in the pot; I expect the director to use his experience here to drive him towards more creative filmmaking like "Moon."

Don't Look Now - I didn't feel a heavy psychological weight dropping on me throughout, so I guess I don't like this movie as much as most of its fans. And there is no sense even bringing up it's "#1 British Film" ranking since it's obviously absurd. Better than average, and certainly a sight different than today's horror/suspense fare, but I didn't feel like I gained much from seeing it.

The Devil's Backbone - This, on the other hand, I was all about. I loved the pace, I loved the violence, I loved the genuine sense of dread, I loved the fact that the ghost was ultimately not a figure of fear, I loved the script, I loved the child acting, I loved the villain, I loved the love rectangle. Like I said, I was all about this movie. It remains to be seen whether or not I will eventually put this over "Pan's Labyrinth," but I will definitely be rewatching it to find out.

Powaqqatsi - Too similar to Koyanisqatsi without being as structurally effective as it. This movie felt more disjointed and less clear in purpose than Koyanisqatsi. It also seemed to repeat the same themes as the previous film without adding much except a new location. I felt that where Koyanisqatsi was able to use its central location as a jumping off point to touch on the world as a whole, the very fact that Powaqqatsi jumped from region to region and peoples to peoples disconnected the ideas it was trying to show as being inherently connected. The only improvement from the first film to this one was the score, which was great in both but more my style in Powaqqatsi. In all other regards though I kept wishing that I was watching Koyanisqatsi instead.

Trois Couleurs: Bleu - This one is fresh in my mind so it still hasn't settled in yet. Like "Network," this was a movie I liked more when it was over than when I was watching it. It moved surprisingly fluently, but I say "surprisingly" only because the DVD box COMPLETELY misrepresented the film as a mystery. If it hadn't I at least would have been more prepared, but frankly I was impressed at its ability to keep my attention even though I figured out relatively quickly that there was going to be no mystery here. Anyways, somebody else is going to have to start the discussion on this one cause I'm gonna need my ideas pulled out of me.

Midnight Run - An above average chase movie, and I'm sure it was more of a revelation in its day, but I was underwhelmed. It was too damn long and it wasn't all that funny. The acting was obviously great, but it's pretty damn obvious why Beverly Hills Cop is more famous than this. I was less impressed with De Niro's acting than I was with the amount of cigarettes he managed to suck down throughout this picture. Unfortunately, my girlfriend and I both knew the ending an hour before it happened and it became a waiting game to get there. Chop off 15 minutes and this movie is better, but again, it would still be overrated.

Persepolis - Lots to like in this one, but another that I'm not sure I'll ever rewatch. I liked getting to see a movie (especially an animated one) tell what a doubly untold story (a genuine female coming of age story and a view of Iran from the inside out) but I couldn't help but thinking how much this film would have suffered had it NOT been an animated movie. I know that's kind of like saying that the sky would be a lot more orange if it weren't so blue, but it was an inescapable thought for me. That said, numerous sequences stick out for me: the little girl buying tapes on the streets, the constant changing of political opinions, the de-beautification of her ex-boyfriend, the bitter sweet view of a future marriage; all of these things were good, but I felt as if the film was a memoir that ended too soon. If and when there is a sequel I will line up to see it, because it was unique and genuine, but I couldn't help feel that I was missing something.

The Pianist - I don't know how I got this far without seeing this movie. I'm sure all of you have seen it so I'll be brief: Schindler's List better, but I liked seeing it from a more intimate viewpoint. I'd have cut the scenes of him being nursed by Dorota, it added nothing for me. The cinematography was beautiful - Polanski sure does love seeing paper blowing in the wind. I could definitely see Polanski's story coming out of the picture, but it was more minor masterpiece than undeniable classic for me.

Catching Hell - Gibney sure can make a good documentary, can't he? I don't even like baseball but I was enthralled.

Encounters at the End of the World - This seemed very similar to "Cave of Forgotten Dreams," but I liked this a lot more. Here is my list of reasons why: 1) More variety in backgrounds. There was only so much to be seen in those caves so they got repeated over and over, while "Encounters" had a much more varied landscape than expected. Which brings us to 2) "Encounter" was more surprising. From the lonely trek of the penguin, to the differing backgrounds/skill sets of the workers, to the very fact that it wasn't all icy backdrops, "Encounters" offered me a more unique vision of a place I assumed I knew all about. With "Caves" we sat in the caves and had historians babble about them; the people and settings in "Encounters" brought more to the table than just "This is ice, this is how animals survive here." 3) Less patronizing to the speakers. In "Encounters" people say some pretty over the top things, but they are dealt with in a much kinder way than the equally impassioned historians of "Caves." It is obvious that Werner respects the people of Antarctica even while being willing to show them doing/saying absurd things. It seems he regards the people in Antarctica as being much more genuine in their pretention than the people in "Caves" who he seems to treat as intentional charlatans. 4) More memorable. I remember parts of "Caves," namely the perfumist, the spear thrower, and the ending, but as a whole I am still not quite sure what Werner was trying to get it. With "Encounters" on the other hand I can name at least ten different scenes/talking heads that I found interesting, beautiful, and/or thought provoking. 5) That penguin. Best thing in either film. Nuff sed.

True Romance - I see why this is such a cult hit. I for one think Tarantino's jumbling up of the time line would not help this film, but if anybody could have pulled it off it would have been him. Is anybody unhappy that Reservoir Dogs was his first official film though? I guess I have to see Natural Born Killers now before I give the final word on this one.

I also watched a bunch of Eddie Murphy pictures, but you'll hear all about that soon come Halloween time.

<----

Larry Otis!

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Mon Oct-10-11 02:43 PM

9. "getouttahere!"
In response to Reply # 7

>Midnight Run - An above average chase movie, and I'm sure it
>was more of a revelation in its day, but I was underwhelmed.
>It was too damn long and it wasn't all that funny. The acting
>was obviously great, but it's pretty damn obvious why Beverly
>Hills Cop is more famous than this. I was less impressed with
>De Niro's acting than I was with the amount of cigarettes he
>managed to suck down throughout this picture. Unfortunately,
>my girlfriend and I both knew the ending an hour before it
>happened and it became a waiting game to get there. Chop off
>15 minutes and this movie is better, but again, it would still
>be overrated.

--------

Duval Spit
3355 posts
Mon Oct-10-11 02:48 PM

10. "what do you love so much about it?"
In response to Reply # 9

Cause I thought it was okay, but if it came out today I wouldn't be that impressed by it either.

<----

Larry Otis!

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Mon Oct-10-11 03:26 PM

12. "comedy is subjective"
In response to Reply # 10

because I think De Niro and Grodin are hilarious throughout ("We're starving, and you're buying cigarettes?" "I need these cigarettes"). they even squeeze in some character depth: Grodin's prodding reveals De Niro's estrangement from his family, part of how they've both been self-destructive while trying to take stands against corruption. and the soundtrack is classic.

it's a great buddy movie that I enjoy every time I watch it.

--------

Duval Spit
3355 posts
Mon Oct-10-11 03:47 PM

13. "I agree with everything except this"
In response to Reply # 12

> and the soundtrack
>is classic.

I just thought that the general thrust of the movie is as a chase film and it got old for me.

<----

Larry Otis!

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Oct-11-11 02:22 PM

18. "You mean Michelle & I haven't seen it yet but you're right"
In response to Reply # 7

>Also, Bridget Monaghan should stop getting work.

maternalbliss
2553 posts
Tue Oct-11-11 01:28 AM

16. "RE: Romance in Venice"
In response to Reply # 0

The Wings of the Dove (1997)

Let's backtrack a bit. Remember what i said about the Tourist and the bad reviews. I said it was a beautiful film with beautiful leads and those hating on it were ugly people,lol.

I feel the same way about this film. If you don't like tales of romance and scandal fine but if you like great actinng do check this film out. Is there anybody better than Helena Bonham Carter?
Grade B+

Spoiler

Although i did love the film i could not give it an A+ rating. The ending was sad. Kate(HBC) ended up with no man and no money. I was rooting for her, for real, lol.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Tue Oct-11-11 07:02 AM

17. "White Teeth"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-11-11 07:04 AM by lfresh

loved it
i've missed 4 months of movies
i may have to tap out until dec
=\

oh no wait
i managed to catch black power mixtape 1967-1975 at the IFC but at home
love that i can catch this at home
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

maternalbliss
2553 posts
Fri Oct-21-11 10:24 PM

19. "RE: Rio (2011) flies high"
In response to Reply # 0

Grade A

Way way better than that other animated film with that uglay ass lizard.

maternalbliss
2553 posts
Sat Oct-22-11 10:29 PM

20. "RE:Born to be wild"
In response to Reply # 0

Easy Ruder (1969)

Grade B-
spoilers

lol. How can i give a film about 2 druggies a pass?
Well ER is not about the LSD, ER is really about Freedom and i most certainly am all for that. Er is not a great film but it is interesting because it really shows you how little much has changed since the summer of 69. Everyone was mad at the system then and we still mad now(Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street). The rednecks who hated hippies then hate the arabs now. Freedom of expression is still under attack.
Hanson,(Jack Nicholson) told us everything we needed to know about the aliens and the secret government long before we had Art Bell and Coast to Coast. lol, shoot, i should have seen ER 15 years ago i would not have needed to stay up all night missing so much sleep, lol.

Freedom, I find it odd that everyone that was seeking freedom are all dead at the end of the movie. Were Fonda and Hopper(druggies themselves) suggesting death was the only way to become free? Well i certainly don't endorse that. We are eternal and we are immortal beings. We don't die. Yes, I know I am as crazy as Hanson was but pot or lsd is not necessary for me.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Oct-24-11 12:08 PM

21. "The Rum Diary"
In response to Reply # 0

Expected Fear & Loathing in Puerto Rico from the trailer which was a mistake. Not bad but not all that memorable either. Gionvanni Ribisi steals it with more screen time.

maternalbliss
2553 posts
Thu Oct-27-11 03:46 PM

22. "RE: Brazil (1985)"
In response to Reply # 0

This highly acclaimes sci-fi classic was a big letdown. I was so bored i did not even finish watching it. It is pretty much 1984 done in satire.

okaycomputer
Member since Dec 02nd 2002
8090 posts
Fri Oct-28-11 06:45 AM

23. "Pusher I"
In response to Reply # 0

I enjoyed it overall, a good crime/drug movie. Definitely fits in that mid 90's crime movie genre. Pretty impressive how uncomfortable it gets you while Frank keeps piling one bad decision on top of another.

Mads looked young as hell.

I was totally distracted by the escort/girlfriend...she was a dead ringer for Shane Botwin and that's just not right.

I'm looking forward to Pusher II. (Amazon has the trilogy streaming)

Sepia.
Member since Feb 25th 2009
12896 posts
Fri Oct-28-11 09:24 PM

24. "Just a few:"
In response to Reply # 0

13 Assassins (again)
Still love it. And I decided to go with the theory that Upashi and Kiga are demons.
Because nobody else seemed bothered by Upashi at the river but I needed a dadgum explanation! lol. I'ma go with it.

Bodyguards and Assassins
I really liked it even though it was so sad. I hate getting too emotionally involved
in martial arts movies because, 1, I'm tryna see faces get smashed,
and 2, my favorites always die. But I was involved. Even though my favorites all died.

True Legend
Surprised me. My dad picked this one and I was expecting super corn. But I really enjoyed this.
Watching the DVD extras after showed me why it worked.
And I was giddy over the drunken style the first time I saw it, lol. I need more drunken style movies.

Paranormal Activity 3
Let me down. I feel like it was "PA3, part 1." The scene with Randy and Katy in the bathroom
got me interested, but in general, I was feeling "meh" throughout. Plus, I figured it out really quickly.

The Mistress of Spices
It was aight. It was mostly about Aishwarya looking pretty.

maternalbliss
2553 posts
Sat Oct-29-11 09:16 PM

25. "RE: Stephen King"
In response to Reply # 0

The Mist(ake) 2007
The characters were so exaggerated and the ending was terrible,

Children of the Corny, 1984
Got off to a good start. The opening scenes were quite intense but after that it got kinda silly.

Both films are graded D

Misery(1990)
Solid well acted flick. I did like it even tho i thought it was kinda predictable.
Grade B

Salem's Lot
I love Salem's Lot and never get tired of it.
Grade A

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #583589 Previous topic | Next topic