Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #570803

Subject: "Anyone else catch the Pilot of Suits on USA this week?" Previous topic | Next topic
Oakley
Charter member
7810 posts
Sat Jun-25-11 03:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anyone else catch the Pilot of Suits on USA this week?"
Sat Jun-25-11 03:39 PM by Oakley

i think it has potential and was a decent pilot.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
watched the first half of it and liked it!
Jun 25th 2011
wasn't good. wait for next week and see if it only sucked cuz it was a
Jun 25th 2011
the eps get better..
Jul 06th 2011
      that's the thing, there's no subtlety to the dialogue
Jul 06th 2011
           yes...
Jul 06th 2011
its going to be a USA summer for me
Jun 25th 2011
SUCKS.
Jul 04th 2011
Gabriel Macht's delivery is so odd
Jul 04th 2011
for some reason I though sankofa posted this
Jul 04th 2011
      HAHAHAHAHA
Jul 06th 2011
           I think he risks it all and takes the test for her without her knowing
Jul 06th 2011
                lol! What's bad is that
Jul 06th 2011
dope Pilot, dope show....i'm all in....
Jul 04th 2011
it makes no sense
Jul 04th 2011
      *LOL* ok...
Jul 04th 2011
      RE: it makes no sense
Jul 06th 2011
compared to Franklin and Bash, this show is much better
Jul 05th 2011
I feel like Franklin and Bash goes for its niche though
Jul 05th 2011
It's a kind of shabby attempt at the USA's favorite, the savant genre
Jul 05th 2011
you could BUT
Jul 06th 2011
i peeped the first two eps and i liked it...
Jul 05th 2011
BigLaw HR depts suuuuuuuck.
Jul 05th 2011
Y'all didn't tell me my boo Gina Torres was in this
Jul 06th 2011
In fairness, said partner is a maverick, unfettered by your "rules"
Jul 06th 2011
Episode 2
Jul 06th 2011
RE: Episode 2
Jul 06th 2011
There is a tier of legal shows:
Jul 06th 2011
RE: There is a tier of legal shows:
Jul 06th 2011
      RE: There is a tier of legal shows:
Jul 07th 2011
           you know its funny...
Jul 07th 2011
ok i'm in
Jul 08th 2011
whats he doing kissing on his boy's girl...he needs to push up on Gina
Jul 08th 2011
      thats a good way to get fired
Jul 10th 2011
OK, watched the last couple eps; I'm with RJCC
Jul 10th 2011
With this show you have to suspend disbelief and enjoy
Aug 26th 2011
i agree but for some reason i still enjoy it....
Aug 26th 2011
as nonsensical as the show is i dig it
Aug 27th 2011
I suspended disbelief a long time ago
Sep 02nd 2011
i'm glad they dropped the "limitless" angle of the show
Sep 06th 2011
dropped how? he remembered pages of documents word for word
Sep 06th 2011
The Shelf Life (the accountant episode)
Sep 06th 2011
      except harvey's never 5 moves ahead
Sep 06th 2011
They've stopped hitting you over the head w/it - but it's still there.
Sep 06th 2011
Any thoughts on the season finale?
Sep 13th 2011
Loved it....
Sep 15th 2011

DJ007
Member since Apr 06th 2003
5447 posts
Sat Jun-25-11 04:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "watched the first half of it and liked it!"
In response to Reply # 0

Rjcc
Charter member
94969 posts
Sat Jun-25-11 05:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "wasn't good. wait for next week and see if it only sucked cuz it was a"
In response to Reply # 0

pilot.

but the dialogue was complete ass.

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Wed Jul-06-11 09:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "the eps get better.."
In response to Reply # 2

i hate shows where the dialogue is on the nose and obvious...

but the chemistry between Gabriel Macht and Patrick Adams is great, the cast works well with each other

and Gina Torres is *ANYTHING* is a plus with me...though they don't give her ENOUGH to do...

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

Rjcc
Charter member
94969 posts
Wed Jul-06-11 10:26 PM

20. "that's the thing, there's no subtlety to the dialogue"
In response to Reply # 18

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Wed Jul-06-11 11:29 PM

26. "yes..."
In response to Reply # 20

that's been the one gripe i've had about USA shows...

save for In Plain Sight and Psych (and also Criminal Intent, the subtle going on with the banter between Goren and Eames was interesting...as well as how *BOTH* of them could convey A LOT with facial expressions and no dialogue, etc.)

most of the USA shows are guilty of this...

and *ALL* of the shows could benefit from subtlety.

I don't know if its the writing or how the characters are acted out by the actors, but subtlety would be such a plus...

but i still love their shows and i'm looking forward to this new show they greenlight with Michael Ealy and the guy who was Jennifer Beals bodyguard on Chicago Code...if its what I think it is, then this will be another hit...but it might have the same issues with subtlety the other USA shows have...

Get Out the Room

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Sat Jun-25-11 07:15 PM

3. "its going to be a USA summer for me"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Rjcc
Charter member
94969 posts
Mon Jul-04-11 08:37 AM

4. "SUCKS."
In response to Reply # 0

god damn this show is fucking bad.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon Jul-04-11 09:43 AM

5. "Gabriel Macht's delivery is so odd"
In response to Reply # 0

At first I thought it was something he was going for in The Spirit but it seems like he always talks in the stilted manner.

I thought the pilot was decent and I'm in love with the paralegal but I'm not really sure that there's enough there to keep me coming back. Maybe the future cases will be better but the characters aren't that strong and I'm not sure why I would keep tuning in. (although I haven't seen ep two yet.)

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Rjcc
Charter member
94969 posts
Mon Jul-04-11 10:22 AM

6. "for some reason I though sankofa posted this"
In response to Reply # 5

which made our agreement on the attractiveness of the paralegal kinda weird.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Wed Jul-06-11 09:53 PM

19. "HAHAHAHAHA"
In response to Reply # 6

I just posted above! LOL!

Honestly, Gabriel *DOES* have a stilted way of speaking, I think its the fact that he has a slight lisp and its very clear he works hard to *NOT* have it but it still comes out sometimes...

plus, with how odd he looks and just how he approaches his characters (i.e. a mix of detachment just hinting at some inner complexity and substance, etc.) is strange...

I like him as an actor because he's odd as hell and interesting to watch...he's hit or miss but SUITS works for him...

and the paralegal, I think her name is Meaghan Markle--I don't know where she comes from, but she's a looker. I like her character and I sense there's more to her and she'll end up either hooking up with Patrick Adams character or becoming his ally...watch her end up becoming a lawyer at the end of the show (it's so OBVIOUS she'll learn how to test well and get hired there, etc.)

Get Out the Room

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Wed Jul-06-11 11:09 PM

24. "I think he risks it all and takes the test for her without her knowing"
In response to Reply # 19

And then he tells her and she's pissed and maybe somehow let's it slip that he did it and that leads to him being outed as not a Harvard alum and then...

CLIFFHANGER!

... Will she forgive him and fall in love (and/or become a lawyer)?
... Will the kid get to keep his job? Or get fired for cheating?
... Will Macht get fired?

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Wed Jul-06-11 11:26 PM

25. "lol! What's bad is that"
In response to Reply # 24

>And then he tells her and she's pissed and maybe somehow
>let's it slip that he did it and that leads to him being outed
>as not a Harvard alum and then...
>
>CLIFFHANGER!
>
>... Will she forgive him and fall in love (and/or become a
>lawyer)?
>... Will the kid get to keep his job? Or get fired for
>cheating?
>... Will Macht get fired?

I could *EASILY* see this happen as a season 1 finale...LOL

but mike constantly being found out will always be one of the overarching storylines for this show and it should be...

the paralegal *SHOULD* end up becoming a lawyer...and working for a competitive, basically setting up the y'all didn't respect me when I was working for you, so i got my degree, went somewhere else and showed you how good I was, etc. storyline or something....

i like the show...i just leave the logic at the door and enjoy myself for an hour or so every thursday.

Get Out the Room

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Jul-04-11 02:51 PM

7. "dope Pilot, dope show....i'm all in...."
In response to Reply # 0

yeah, there are plotholes, but that's fine....it's a good show with interesting characters and stories...

...the paralegal is HOT.....

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

Rjcc
Charter member
94969 posts
Mon Jul-04-11 03:21 PM

8. "it makes no sense"
In response to Reply # 7

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Jul-04-11 06:53 PM

9. "*LOL* ok..."
In response to Reply # 8

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

TruOne
Member since Jun 29th 2002
14276 posts
Wed Jul-06-11 10:27 PM

21. "RE: it makes no sense"
In response to Reply # 8

. . .says the legal expert.

- - - Begin Sig. - - -

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'" ~ ~ Anne Radmacher

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Tue Jul-05-11 06:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "compared to Franklin and Bash, this show is much better"
In response to Reply # 0

But that's really not saying much.

I wonder if it's possible to do a legal/procedural show that's good and it's not criminal or even trial related.

Dash Newport, Estate Tax Attorney!

"I think we're going to have to use the Q-Tip Trust"

The typical practice of law is more like The Office, just more annoying and less funny.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue Jul-05-11 07:50 AM

11. "I feel like Franklin and Bash goes for its niche though"
In response to Reply # 10

It's an over-the-top, silly comedy and as that it does OK enough. Still stupid but it fills a niche.

I'm just not sure what Suits's niche is. It's not a strong legal drama. Not a believable character drama. Not much in the romance angle. Certainly not a legal thriller. It doesn't really fit a particular role but at the same time also doesn't do anything to set itself apart. It seems like it has the same issues as USA's last attempt at the legal genre: Fairly Legal (which despite having Sarah Shahi was hard to watch.)

----

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Tue Jul-05-11 10:35 AM

13. "It's a kind of shabby attempt at the USA's favorite, the savant genre"
In response to Reply # 11

The network tends to replace the kind of sad array of social and learning disabilities that real life savants have to suffer through with some circumstance of plot that just puts their leads on the margins of society in some way. It's a network full of brilliant, semi-obsessive, really attractive people with an extraordinary skill that, through re-integration with the society that's alienated them, attempt to use their weird skills for the benefit of society.

It just occurred to me that the description I just took a shot at makes it sound like I think this is something serious and worthy of interest, but, um, I don't. It's kind of stupid and occasionally insulting, actually. Though since it's possible to take all these shows on a case by base basis I will admit it's resulted in some stuff I rather like.

-Suits is sort of dumb, but seems harmless and I like seeing Gina Torres on TV again.

-I hate "Royal Pains" and I double hate it for casting Campbell Scott and making me watch it a couple times.

-"White Collar" is a lot of fun, and every time the FBI guy is on-screen I think of him having a vasectomy and convincing Elaine to cut her hair really short on Seinfeld.

-"Psych" is good, but I never watched it enough.

-I like "In Plain Sight" quite a bit.

-I rather like "Burn Notice", though it drives me crazy that Michael Weston runs around Miami like an action star and never, ever sweats. I wouldn't care except sometimes he's rather well dressed and that kind of seems like bullshit, having his cake and eating it too.

There are a couple shows on other networks that fit this, like "House" and "Lie To Me" too.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Wed Jul-06-11 11:31 PM

27. "you could BUT"
In response to Reply # 10

it would be cartoony..i.e. a show about entertainment lawyers, etc.

i mean, Fairly Legal is about mediators and the show is, save for Sarah Shahi, is complete crap.

right now, THE GOOD WIFE is pretty much the most recent standard for quality law shows on right now.

Get Out the Room

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue Jul-05-11 09:48 AM

12. "i peeped the first two eps and i liked it..."
In response to Reply # 0

set the dvr for the season. its not on par with some of the better shows i watch (game of thrones, breaking bad...) but its filling a television void right now since there isn't much on. between this and southland, usa is doing alright with its dramas.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

illegal
Charter member
78381 posts
Tue Jul-05-11 10:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "BigLaw HR depts suuuuuuuck."
In response to Reply # 0

when I come around, they frown
then wanna dap me down
but when I leave?

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Jul-06-11 06:45 PM

15. "Y'all didn't tell me my boo Gina Torres was in this"
In response to Reply # 0

That alone is reason enough to watch. But on the other hand, I'm insulted by this preposterous premise.

A certified genius makes ends meet by taking LSATs for others?
A soon to be senior partner jeopardizes his career by KNOWINGLY hires some guy who is a complete fraud?
I had to go through two background checks for my firm, but apparently some guy with no law degree is hired as an associate for a big time firm?
So to do research for a hearing, they go to the law library and do book research that can take hours rather than hopping on westlaw or LEXIS and knocking it out in fraction of the time?

That being said, it could've been a lot worse. I'll give it another shot.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Wed Jul-06-11 07:04 PM

16. "In fairness, said partner is a maverick, unfettered by your "rules""
In response to Reply # 15

>So to do research for a hearing, they go to the law library
>and do book research that can take hours rather than hopping
>on westlaw or LEXIS and knocking it out in fraction of the
>time?

It's kind of funny how they cooked up a superpower for our lead (he has amaaaaaaazing memory) and then almost immediately realized how difficult it is to display said superpower. For that purpose, stacks of intimidating books just work way better.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Jul-06-11 09:22 PM

17. "Episode 2"
In response to Reply # 0

1. So their client has a multimillion dollar satellite phone prototype that will revolutionize communications and they decide to file the patent the day he shows it to investors?

2. Harvey gives the incredibly complex task of filing the patent for a satellite phone to Mike and expects him to complete it in one day? Right.... That's a great idea considering your very important client sunk millions into this prototype.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

TruOne
14276 posts
Wed Jul-06-11 10:32 PM

22. "RE: Episode 2"
In response to Reply # 17

Counselor, I'm gonna need you to stop being logical and common sensical.

Truly Yours,

Me, Esq.

- - - Begin Sig. - - -

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'" ~ ~ Anne Radmacher

TruOne
14276 posts
Wed Jul-06-11 10:38 PM

23. "There is a tier of legal shows:"
In response to Reply # 0

- Law & Order (Jack McCoy)
- The Practice
- Matlock
- Raising the Bar
- The Good Wife
- Suits
- Boston Legal

- - - Begin Sig. - - -

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Wed Jul-06-11 11:32 PM

28. "RE: There is a tier of legal shows:"
In response to Reply # 23

>- Law & Order (Jack McCoy)
>- The Practice
>- Matlock
>- Raising the Bar
>- The Good Wife
>- Suits
>- Boston Legal

I agree...but the Good Wife would be right between Law and Order and The Practice for real...

and I'd stick The Practice RIGHT beneath Matlock because The Practice was utter crap most of its run...for real.

Get Out the Room

TruOne
14276 posts
Thu Jul-07-11 12:33 PM

29. "RE: There is a tier of legal shows:"
In response to Reply # 28

Nah, fam. The Practice probably came the CLOSEST to being realistc portrayal of what it is like to scrape together a law practice.

- - - Begin Sig. - - -

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Thu Jul-07-11 11:36 PM

30. "you know its funny..."
In response to Reply # 29

i know lawyers who have had this very discussion and all have argued over how realistic the practice was as compared to the other shows...

some say its a very real look at law, especially in Boston...

others have said its not and that David E. Kelley is a hack (which i'd agree with, BUT he did give us LA Law..which was the shit)

but you might be right though...all i have talked to say that the storylines on the practice are real as hell....

with law and order and the good wife (at least corporate law--aspects of it, etc.) are up there also...

Get Out the Room

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Jul-08-11 09:50 AM

31. "ok i'm in"
In response to Reply # 0

love gina torres

and folks?
stop watching tv shows for reality

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

gumz
20118 posts
Fri Jul-08-11 10:10 AM

32. "whats he doing kissing on his boy's girl...he needs to push up on Gina"
In response to Reply # 31

lfresh
92696 posts
Sun Jul-10-11 07:38 PM

34. "thats a good way to get fired"
In response to Reply # 32

now you know gina ain't having that

and dude i dunno
=\ i don't like that plotline hes about to do something stupid because of her
i'm glad he walked away i hope he meant it
~~~~
~~~~

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Sun Jul-10-11 05:24 PM

33. "OK, watched the last couple eps; I'm with RJCC"
In response to Reply # 0

This show makes no sense. It's hard to care about the conflicts when they are so ridiculous and contrived.

----

muzuabo
Member since Dec 03rd 2009
2064 posts
Fri Aug-26-11 10:55 AM

35. "With this show you have to suspend disbelief and enjoy"
In response to Reply # 33

the snarky behavior between all the characters.

gumz
20118 posts
Fri Aug-26-11 03:47 PM

36. "i agree but for some reason i still enjoy it...."
In response to Reply # 33

its my guilty pleasure at this point. unlike my other shows i'm not all that invested in it but it still entertains me for about 45 mins...gives me something to dvr during the week.

Iltigo
Charter member
8609 posts
Sat Aug-27-11 11:07 AM

37. "as nonsensical as the show is i dig it"
In response to Reply # 0

harvey would have been found out in a about a week, andd mike would be back selling weed.

mike needs a bar reg number to work on cases and track his billables. he never passed the bar for himself, and you can't take the bar in new york state without a law degree. mike has no reg number which means he can't work on cases, or even the little shit cases that harvey gives him.

someone in hr would have figured out this kid has no reg number by now.

oh and the sat phone ep..WTF. all mike had to do was go to the IP department. every LARGE firm has an intellectual property department, all mike had to do was go there and have them file the application. also NO law firm can file a patent in an afternoon. the process takes too long to get through the quality controls of the USPTO. further there is no way in the 4 hells that they got a same day response from the PTO. there is a WELL publicized 3 year backlog at the office. the most he could get from the office is a confirmation of receipt. hell after one day it wouldn't even be assigned.

but other than that i like the show.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Fri Sep-02-11 09:29 PM

38. "I suspended disbelief a long time ago"
In response to Reply # 37

and now I enjoy the show immensely.

>harvey would have been found out in a about a week, andd mike
>would be back selling weed.
>
>mike needs a bar reg number to work on cases and track his
>billables. he never passed the bar for himself, and you can't
>take the bar in new york state without a law degree. mike has
>no reg number which means he can't work on cases, or even the
>little shit cases that harvey gives him.

Yup.

>
>someone in hr would have figured out this kid has no reg
>number by now.

Yup.

>
>oh and the sat phone ep..WTF. all mike had to do was go to
>the IP department. every LARGE firm has an intellectual
>property department, all mike had to do was go there and have
>them file the application. also NO law firm can file a patent
>in an afternoon. the process takes too long to get through
>the quality controls of the USPTO. further there is no way in
>the 4 hells that they got a same day response from the PTO.
>there is a WELL publicized 3 year backlog at the office. the
>most he could get from the office is a confirmation of
>receipt. hell after one day it wouldn't even be assigned.

One of my biggest gripes.

>
>but other than that i like the show.

Preposterous notwithstanding....it's entertaining.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Tue Sep-06-11 10:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
39. "i'm glad they dropped the "limitless" angle of the show"
In response to Reply # 0

Super-memory seems to be less of a plot device as the series progressed.

Rjcc
Charter member
94969 posts
Tue Sep-06-11 11:13 AM

40. "dropped how? he remembered pages of documents word for word"
In response to Reply # 39

and pulled the paralegals panties off with his awesome brain one episode ago

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Tue Sep-06-11 12:10 PM

41. "The Shelf Life (the accountant episode)"
In response to Reply # 40

was a throwback to the old "superman as mike ross" theme they had going.

I thought the whole show would be like the first episode where he pulls a freeze frame Sherlock Holmes, remembering/noticing this and that to concoct some cockamamie story for the cops.

Most of the time, his super brain is relegated to pulling all nighters doing some research project.

In terms of solving the episode's problem, it's usually Harvey's "5 moves ahead of you" chess thinking that saves the day.

Rjcc
Charter member
94969 posts
Tue Sep-06-11 01:24 PM

42. "except harvey's never 5 moves ahead"
In response to Reply # 41

until the last 5 minutes of the show. it's the same as any procedural

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Tue Sep-06-11 03:26 PM

43. "They've stopped hitting you over the head w/it - but it's still there."
In response to Reply # 39

Honestly, at this point I'm enamored w/the characters and I like the banter. I don't need this to be anything deeper than that.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Tue Sep-13-11 08:18 PM

44. "Any thoughts on the season finale?"
In response to Reply # 0

Q&A with the show creator on finale:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/09/09/suits-season-finale-cliffhangers/

'Suits' season finale: Creator Aaron Korsh talks cliffhangers, chemistry, and of course, that can opener

by Mandi Bierly
Categories: Suits, Television, TV Scoop

SPOILER ALERT: USA’s Suits ended its first season last night with more than one cliffhanger: What will Trevor, who found out that Mike was dating Jenny by listening to a pining, drunken voicemail from Rachel on Mike’s phone, tell Jessica about Mike in revenge? At what moment in the past did Donna and/or Harvey think about crossing a line but decide against it because they could never go back? And what the hell do Harvey and Donna do with a can opener before he begins every trial? Let’s see what creator Aaron Korsh has to say about those questions, and where we might be headed in the long-awaited season 2.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: The first question is obvious: What do they do with the can opener?

AARON KORSCH: I have some notions as to what they do, but there’s no definitive answer currently. I will tell you the story of coming up with the can opener. Originally, there was no can opener. You were wondering, Were they having sex in the office? What was going on? I wanted to imply that maybe they were, but then answer later when Rachel asked Donna ‘Have you ever?’ and Donna says ‘No’ and it’s truthful, so then you’re wondering, well, then what did they do? There was some thoughts that it should be a little less sexual innuendo in the front, so the can opener just popped into my head. There was a big debate: Do we tell people what they do with the can opener, or do we not tell people what they do with the can opener? It’s kinda my feeling that people want to want to know what the can opener was, they don’t really want to know. It’s gonna drive them crazy in a great way. I watch Twitter. I don’t think it would be ablaze if we said what the can opener was. It’d be a couple of comments. But because you don’t say it, people are like, “What was the can opener?!” I try to gauge what I would want as a viewer.

And what’s the gymnastics video Mike and Jenny referred to?

The story there is, originally, there was no line of dialogue there. It was Mike talking to Jenny, and she wants a ritual, and he says, “I can get behind that” but you didn’t know what she says, so it’s like the can opener. For some reason, the network, and they were not alone on this, thought it was weird to hear Jenny on the first half of the phone call and not hear her on the second half. So in editing, we were just kind of kickin’ around stuff. Gavin Barclay, our post-producer, actually came up with a different line — “Remember that website you tried to get me to look at?” — that we were gonna use. When they recorded them all, Gavin picked the other one because he thought it sounded better, and it broke his heart. But it showed he put the show’s interest above his own. With both the can opener and the gymnastics reference, the viewer can either think a dirty thought about it or you can think a clean thought about it. It’s like a Rorschach Test.

Was the idea that there could’ve been a moment for Donna (Sarah Rafferty) and Harvey (Gabriel Macht) in the past something that was in your mind from the start of the show, or did it develop over the course of the season?

I always felt like Harvey, to me, would never sleep with anyone in the office because he doesn’t have to. It’s kinda similar to in the beginning of the season when he says he wouldn’t sleep with someone else’s wife, not because of morals but because it’s a pain in the ass. It’s mysterious: Is he really not doing it because of morals and he doesn’t want people to know that he’s an ethical man? But in any case, he doesn’t need to do it because he’s so good-looking he can have any woman, so it’s too big of a problem to do that in the office. So I never thought that Harvey and Donna had actually done anything, but two attractive people who have worked together for a long time, and if it’s 12 years, they would have been in their late 20s or early 30s, so how could they not have had some moment where they were tempted at least? I feel like Sarah brought that in that look.

Was that look scripted?

No. Sarah brought it, and we talked about it a lot, what it meant to her and what it meant to me, and in the end, I thought it was great.

Will you explore what that moment was Harvey and Donna next season?
Most likely, yes. That look is an intriguing thing. There’s a story there. Whether we tell it in season 2 or in the future, I can’t be sure. But I’d love to tell it.

Gabriel and Sarah have actually been friends for more than 20 years, and now their daughters are best friends. Did you know that during casting?

Gabriel kind of recommended Sarah for the role, and we said to him and to her we’ll obviously take a look at her, but we weren’t gonna give her that part just because he recommended her. She had to earn it like everyone did, and she came in, and she was just hands-down the best for the role.

Donna and Louis (Rick Hoffman) have such a fun relationship that as a viewer, you want to see them more. But then you don’t want their awesomeness to be diluted. Is that hard to balance?

It’s always a challenge to do that. You can’t do it every episode, or it’ll feel like too much. What we have yet to do is give them a real story between the two of them. We’ve just given them scenes together. Maybe next season that will be something that would allow you to see them more, but it’s not just a comedic kind of thing. The way it happened was in episode 105, we were a little short and we needed to go back and reshoot a scene. I remembered Harvey asks Louis for a favor and Louis says he’s gonna ask for a favor back, and we never see what that is. Why don’t we add that scene in, and why doesn’t he ask for Donna, because she’s such an amazing secretary? It’s kinda funny that he’s like, “I want Donna” but not in a sexual way. Sean Jablonski actually wrote those scenes, and they were so good together that you wanted to see these people together more often. I feel like if you love Suits, a large part of what makes it so great is the actors improv particular moments throughout an episode, and those moments are often my favorite moments. From top to bottom, we have no weakness, we only have amazing actors. All the actors are great at improv, in particular, Sarah and Rick are just so good at that.

That scene with Louis demanding to be made senior partner, and Jessica (Gina Torres) shooting him down so quickly it was like she was Indiana Jones pulling out a gun instead of whip — his reaction was amazing. Was that scripted?

That was not scripted. He added that last bit of comedic capitulation in the end, which to me made the scene. Originally, it was supposed to be saying Jessica saying, “I don’t respond to threats. I make them. If you ever want to be senior partner, call your cousin. Call your cousin now,” and then cut right to Harvey in the DA’s office slamming the results down. But Rick did it in the rehearsal, and I thought it was just amazing. To me, the character is likely to stew on that — he wants to be partner and he just keeps not getting it. Even though he gave in, it’s definitely a potential seed being laid for next year in terms of how he’s gonna feel about that.

What can you say about the Trevor cliffhanger?

I have notions of what’s gonna happen next year but have not locked it down yet. I think it would be cheating the audience to have Trevor not something say that is of major impact to Mike. The bomb that he’s gonna drop has to be a significant one. We can’t defuse the situation by him just deciding not to say something. We actually filmed him telling her a couple things, just for fun and to have the option — we may not show either one of them.

Could we see the new D.A., played by Chi McBride, return in season 2?

It’s not set in stone either way. I loved him, I loved this character, and if we land on it, I would love to bring him back. When the writers regroup, I have a thousand things I’d love to do next year and there won’t be room for every one of them. There could be an arc in there. He suspects what Harvey did in the season finale, so you could have him investigating Harvey a little bit, and that would be a recurring role if we decide to go that road. I probably wouldn’t bring him back for just one episode.

What other story lines might we see in season 2?

One of things I had wanted to do this year was see Grammy a little bit more, and somehow we kinda got away from her and we didn’t pick her back up. To me, I’d like to see his relationship with Grammy lead to an impact on his life somehow, be it someone from his past comes back into play or figuring out what exactly happened to his parents, there’s some mystery there. With Harvey, why is Harvey not in a relationship and doesn’t seem to have ever really had a meaningful relationship with a woman? I mean, he may have, but we don’t know that. That’s a question that is often answered by exploring someone’s relationship with their parents or siblings or something. So finding out what his relationship with his father or mother is like seems like a good way to answer the question about his relationship with women, and then we just have to figure out how that story is told so it’s impactful in the present day. And like we talked about, Louis and the partnership and what’s gonna happen with that. A lot of people want to know what happened to Hartman. Who’s Hartman? Where is Hartman of Pearson Hartman? I want to definitely meet him and have him have some impact on the firm. I don’t know if that will be in season 2 or the future. Trevor and Jenny, will have to figure out what’s gonna with them. Obviously, Rachel, is Rachel is gonna take the LSATs? Is she gonna start going to law school? What’s her grander scheme? Maybe digging in a little bit to Jessica’s personal life. Maybe Donna’s personal life. Those are all things that are on the table, and we won’t be able to do them all, but I’d love to.

I loved that episode when Harvey found out Jessica had an ex-husband and the scene in the bar when he awkwardly tried to comfort her.
A lot of people love that scene. Harvey’s a tough character: If you played it exactly as written, without what Gabriel brings to the table, I think people would not love Harvey. Gabriel, as a person, is the opposite of Harvey. He’s a sensitive, sweet, gentle, kind man. He brings that to Harvey in subtle ways, like in that touching her hand moment. It was Jon Cowan, the writer’s idea, to have Jessica have a husband and be married and Harvey hadn’t known it. It was a bold move to go into not of one of your two main characters’ personal lives so early in the season, and I was glad he pushed for that.

Where does Harvey’s love of movies come from?

I love quoting movies. All of my friends and I always quote movies, and I always wondered why for a lot of TV shows, it’s an unwritten rule that you don’t quote or talk about TV and movies. Maybe it’s because you’re shining the light on you are a TV show, and you don’t want to make people aware of that in the moment, but to me, real people quote movies, so that’s where that comes from.

Last question: How are we going to make it till next summer for a new episode of Suits? Has there been any talk of webisodes or something like that?

It’s not been talked about. I believe there’ll be a DVD coming out . I don’t know if it will satisfy viewers, but to my knowledge, it will have deleted scenes, a gag reel, and we are scheduled to do commentary. And look, sometimes I get on Twitter or Facebook and say something. You never know, maybe in the next few months I’ll come out with what the can opener really was.

Just FYI: Gabriel will be getting asked that question a lot, so you may want to prep him on how to answer when people are trying to break him.

He doesn’t know. I didn’t tell him.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Thu Sep-15-11 07:49 AM

45. "Loved it...."
In response to Reply # 44

curious how that ending will play out next season if Trev is gonna bust him, or black mail him trying to leverage his way into a position/job at the firm. Problem is he dont have the smarts to pull of that type of scam so.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #570803 Previous topic | Next topic