Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #545968

Subject: "Favreau out of Iron Man 3 (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Tue Dec-14-10 08:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Favreau out of Iron Man 3 (swipe)"
Tue Dec-14-10 08:38 PM by xangeluvr

from IGN:

"Favreau Not Directing Iron Man 3
UPDATED: The search is on for a new filmmaker.
December 14, 2010

by Eric Goldman
The search has begun for a new director to take on Tony Stark's cinematic adventures, as Vulture reports that Jon Favreau will not be returning to direct Iron Man 3.

Favreau informed Marvel Studios of his decision this week, though Vulture says it's unclear whether his decision was financial, creative or both. Vulture cites an informed source as saying Favreau was frustrated with Marvel wanting to include more and more of their characters into the Iron Man series, especially in the wake of Iron Man's role in The Avengers.

However, Vulture says Favreau may have simply been too expensive for Marvel at this point, as they and their parent company, Disney, look to find ways to cut costs – noting that Favreau is said to have made $10 million for Iron Man 2 and would almost certainly get another sizable raise for Iron Man 3 to as much as $15 million, along with receiving 15 percent of the film's gross after it recouped costs. In fact, Vulture says that one of their sources familiar with "Marvel's playbook" theorizes that the company, "had been pushing a confusing and packed vision of the third film as a tactic to provoke Favreau into leaving the project."

According to Vulture, Marvel began quietly searching for a new director as of last night. However, they note whoever is picked will have to be okayed by Robert Downey Jr., who has contractual approval over the director of the film.

Favreau may not be making Iron Man 3 for Disney (which purchased distribution rights for Avengers and IM3 back from Paramount recently), but he will still be working for the company – as he prepares to direct the Disneyland inspired Magic Kingdom, after completing work on Cowboys & Aliens.

In the meantime, Downey Jr. will get back in the Iron Man armor when he films The Avengers for director Joss Whedon next year, for a 2012 release date. Iron Man 3 is scheduled to be released May 3, 2013.

Now here's the big question: Will Favreau still appear in Iron Man 3 as Happy Hogan?

UPDATE: Both a Marvel source as well as Jon Favreau himself have confirmed the news. Favreau tweeted, "It's true, I'm directing Magic Kingdom, not Iron Man 3. I've had a great run with Marvel and wish them the best.""

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
IRON MAN 3: DIRECTED BY TIM STORY. IN CINEMAS SOON.
Dec 14th 2010
He apparently dropped out to direct Disney's "Magic Kingdom"
Dec 14th 2010
*shrugs*
Dec 14th 2010
http://tvrecappersanonymous.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/shark-jump.jpg
Dec 14th 2010
2 sucked, but I can't thank him enough for the first one
Dec 14th 2010
I'm still voting Superman I or The Dark Knight.
Dec 14th 2010
      when's the last time you saw superman: the movie?
Dec 15th 2010
      It's not a BAD movie either, though.
Dec 15th 2010
      Encore was showing it on the daily just last week. It's held up well.
Dec 15th 2010
      it's awful slow and the plot is pretty ordinary.
Dec 15th 2010
      Alright, now I know you are just taking the piss.
Dec 15th 2010
      no, i'm really not.
Dec 15th 2010
           That was bullshit, watch the Richard Donner cut.
Dec 15th 2010
                yeah, i do wanna see it.
Dec 16th 2010
      Superman I is slow?
Dec 15th 2010
           the opening credits go for 20 minutes.
Dec 15th 2010
                actually, they only go on for about 4 and a half.
Dec 15th 2010
                     the john williams score is indeed fantastic.
Dec 16th 2010
                          well, I've never seen Star Wars, so I'm good.
Dec 16th 2010
      only thing that really dates it (besides the SFX, of course)
Dec 15th 2010
           RE: only thing that really dates it (besides the SFX, of course)
Dec 16th 2010
      maybe a week or two ago. It's in my digital collection.
Dec 15th 2010
      I'd still go with Spider-Man 2.
Dec 15th 2010
           I knew I forgot one. Spider-Man 2 as well.
Dec 15th 2010
           that's my favorite movie of all time so i've stopped calling it just a
Dec 15th 2010
           yep
Dec 16th 2010
Good for him
Dec 14th 2010
considering he's making another movie for the same company
Dec 14th 2010
It really does seem as if, after the home run that was
Dec 15th 2010
thor is going to kick. ass.
Dec 15th 2010
The Incredible Hulk was ass juice.
Dec 15th 2010
      ^^^Non-fiction
Dec 15th 2010
      You are tripping.
Dec 15th 2010
      Back to this again
Dec 15th 2010
      it was excellent.
Dec 15th 2010
      "excellent" is hyperbole for describing most films, let alone that one.
Dec 15th 2010
           you really shouldn't talk about people using hyperbole
Dec 16th 2010
      I don't know why they're blasting you, you're right.
Dec 15th 2010
      not really.
Dec 15th 2010
           '08 Hulk has only a *slightly* better Tomatometer than '03 Hulk.
Dec 15th 2010
           fuck the tomato meter. go to yahoo user reviews. 22,000 people
Dec 16th 2010
                must be excellent
Dec 16th 2010
                     lol i don't really care about the populace opinion
Dec 16th 2010
           Can we at least agree lumping it in with IM1 is a terrible idea?
Dec 15th 2010
                honestly, given the history of comic book movies
Dec 15th 2010
                     RE: honestly, given the history of comic book movies
Dec 16th 2010
      It was a good popcorn movie, but it had serious story problems
Dec 15th 2010
      it wasn't too much story in the first, the story just sucked
Dec 16th 2010
           RE: it wasn't too much story in the first, the story just sucked
Dec 16th 2010
                addendum: the '08 Hulk only looked good in a handful of the shots
Dec 16th 2010
                oh god. try and stop trying to be a victim for 5 minutes.
Dec 16th 2010
                     if you can rewrite that in adult language without the insults, I might r...
Dec 16th 2010
                          one insult deserved another. you came with it first.
Dec 16th 2010
                               is this the goddamned third grade? we on that "he started it?"
Dec 16th 2010
                                    lol... man yuo really got upset at the brokeback thing.
Dec 16th 2010
      gotta disagree. this movie made me buy a blu-ray player.
Dec 15th 2010
           I don't want to see *that* movie in hi def.
Dec 15th 2010
well, i guess he's not happy.
Dec 15th 2010
I don't blame him after that last one
Dec 15th 2010
A tad depressing all comic sequels suffer from badguy-itis
Dec 16th 2010
Nobody learns the Batman lesson. Which is strange,
Dec 16th 2010
RE: A tad depressing all comic sequels suffer from badguy-itis
Dec 16th 2010
      it felt like a middle movie between the second Iron Man movie that
Dec 16th 2010

Nukkapedia
Member since Apr 16th 2006
35461 posts
Tue Dec-14-10 09:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "IRON MAN 3: DIRECTED BY TIM STORY. IN CINEMAS SOON."
In response to Reply # 0

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Tue Dec-14-10 09:42 PM

2. "He apparently dropped out to direct Disney's "Magic Kingdom""
In response to Reply # 0

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/12/14/jon-favreau-explains-why-he-traded-iron-man-3-for-disneyland-trip/

Jon Favreau explains why he traded ‘Iron Man 3′ for Disneyland trip
Dec. 14, 2010 | 6:23 p.m.
EXCLUSIVE

Jon Favreau said Tuesday that he is walking away from the billion-dollar ”Iron Man” franchise and will join filmmakers Guillermo del Toro and David Fincher as part of a next wave of filmmakers making major live-action feature films rooted in the imagery of Disney theme park attractions and classic characters.

Favreau is set to direct “Magic Kingdom,” which the 44-year-old filmmaker described as a family fantasy adventure that will tap into the vintage Disney imagery that “loomed so large in the imagination” of his generation. Favreau said that Fincher (expected by many to be a strong Oscar contender for “The Social Network“) will direct the studio’s ”20,000 Leagues Under the Sea,” a Jules Verne bookshelf classic that is closely associated with Disney after the landmark 1954 film and the submarine theme-park ride, and Del Toro has already been announced as director of a new “Haunted Mansion” film.

Favreau spoke in reverent terms of the legacy of Walt Disney and made it clear that his departure from Marvel is no snap decision or the result of fractured relations. The main impulse was to “find something that lights a fire” inside of him as a filmmaker and gives him a chance to “blow people away, which is easier to do with a project that isn’t loaded with built-in expectations.” He also said he has been researching the film for many weeks even as he works in post-production on “Cowboys & Aliens,” the genre mash-up that hits theaters next summer.

Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. on set of "Iron Man 2" (Marvel Entertainment)

“Between the theme parks and the movies, the Disney iconography was probably the first set of archetypes that I was exposed to,” Favreau said of his youth in Flushing, N.Y. “Walt was able to expose me as a child to the full array of emotions, including fear and sorrow. Those movies and attractions haunted my dreams and made a deep impression on me as a child. When I first heard about the project, I was on my way to visit Disneyland with my family. I took notes and had no problem filling a book with all the ideas that this concept offered, even on first blush. Since then, I was lucky enough to be given a tour of Imagineering by Tony Baxter, who knows just about everything there is to know about Disneyland. He pulled original concept art from the archives for me and exposed me to Walt’s original vision.”

Walt Disney (Los Angeles Times archives)

Favreau walks away from the “Iron Man” franchise that pulled in $1.2 billion in worldwide grosses, raised the career of Robert Downey Jr. to a whole new strata and established upstart Marvel Studios as a serious player in the blockbuster business. In some corners of the Internet, the rumor of Favreau’s departure has been framed as a money issue or a conflict regarding Marvel’s aspiration to have all its superhero films crossover into one another. On Tuesday, though, Favreau said that he remains close to Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige (the executive has even been an informal sounding board for the filmmaker’s “Magic Kingdom” ideas) and that he will stay on as a producer on ”The Avengers,” Marvel’s 2012 superhero team-up film.

Feige could not be reached for comment for this story. While declining to make any specific comment, a Disney spokesman confirmed that Fincher and Favreau are indeed working on “Magic Kingdom” and “20,000 Leagues,” respectively. Marvel’s parent, Marvel Entertainment, was purchased by Disney and it will be interesting to see if the smaller studio becomes a proving ground that leads to more deeply funded Disney proper. It’s telling that Favreau described his departure from Marvel more like a graduation than a divorce.

“Marvel and I both came of age together,” Favreau said. “The years that we shared were a pivotal experience. Kevin has a firm grasp on the many franchises and how they all interweave and I am happy that I had the opportunity to establish the world that these characters can now play in…. ‘Iron Man’ has given me tremendous opportunities and Kevin and I are enjoying a lot of momentum in our careers thanks to the ‘Iron Man’ films. I look forward to seeing what others can do playing in the same world.”

Favreau said he was eager for the challenge of “Magic Kingdom” and candidly added that part of that challenge will be separating the film from movies such “Night at the Museum” or “Who Framed Roger Rabbit,” which have a similar concept at their foundation — presenting a new adventure with a gallery of iconic personas as supporting characters. (The film also will have to take a step or two away from Epic Mickey, the high-profile video game that just hit stores and presents a quest that plays out across a dark alternate counterpart version of Disneyland.)

“It can’t just be like the Christmas parade with all the Disney characters going by,” Favreau said. Speaking of holiday fare, Favreau also said he wants to connect with the smart but family-friendly spirit of “Elf,” his 2003 holiday film with Will Ferrell that grossed $220 million worldwide (and cost less than $35 million to make) and has grown in stature on home video and television reruns.

“I can’t begin to tell you how fulfilling the perennial nature of ‘Elf’ on television has been for me,” Favreau said. “It’s great to be able to connect parents with children both emotionally and through humor. I look forward to exploring family entertainment once again and examining the specifics of our day-to-day lives against the backdrop of an extraordinary adventure.”

– Geoff Boucher

Grand_Royal
Charter member
33210 posts
Tue Dec-14-10 10:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
7. "*shrugs*"
In response to Reply # 2

"you can go ahead and sneeze, cuz my presence blessed you"

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86679 posts
Tue Dec-14-10 09:56 PM

3. "http://tvrecappersanonymous.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/shark-jump.jpg"
In response to Reply # 0

http://tvrecappersanonymous.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/shark-jump.jpg

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18402 posts
Tue Dec-14-10 10:03 PM

4. "2 sucked, but I can't thank him enough for the first one"
In response to Reply # 0

A few years removed from it and I think it might be the best super hero flick yet.

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Tue Dec-14-10 10:11 PM

5. "I'm still voting Superman I or The Dark Knight."
In response to Reply # 4

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 11:57 AM

11. "when's the last time you saw superman: the movie?"
In response to Reply # 5

it has some iconic and wonderful scenes but it's not a good movie.

Orfeo_Negro
Member since Oct 24th 2004
20923 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 12:00 PM

13. "It's not a BAD movie either, though."
In response to Reply # 11

Yeah, it's dated in a lot of ways and the whole turning back time shit was the huffness... But I think the movie is still good.

(Of course, I am saying this having last watched it in 1996 or so...)

"Do you know what a nerd is? A nerd is a human being without enough Africa in him or her." © Brian Eno, "A Year With Swollen Appendices"

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 12:05 PM

14. "Encore was showing it on the daily just last week. It's held up well."
In response to Reply # 13

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 01:09 PM

19. "it's awful slow and the plot is pretty ordinary."

superman 2, on the other hand, is AWFUL.

Orfeo_Negro
Member since Oct 24th 2004
20923 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 01:16 PM

20. "Alright, now I know you are just taking the piss."
In response to Reply # 19

>superman 2, on the other hand, is AWFUL.

*touches shock's forehead with back of hand*

You sure you okay, man?

"Do you know what a nerd is? A nerd is a human being without enough Africa in him or her." © Brian Eno, "A Year With Swollen Appendices"

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 04:23 PM

33. "no, i'm really not."
In response to Reply # 20

since when do superman's powers include throwing a transparent S-shield off his chest to shrinkwrap villains?

KNEEL BEFORE SHOCK.

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 04:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
36. "That was bullshit, watch the Richard Donner cut. "
In response to Reply # 33

will put the movie in a completely different light for you

<------ i wish they all can be california boho girls

http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://www.myspace.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.last.fm/user/ShinoShaw
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c) T510

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 05:49 AM

45. "yeah, i do wanna see it."
In response to Reply # 36

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 03:01 PM

28. "Superman I is slow?"
In response to Reply # 19

Now, Superman II does move at the speed of molasses, but I couldn't call the first slow at all.

And how "ordinary" is a film about an humanoid alien with powers beyond the boundaries of mortal men? Both today AND in 1978?

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 04:24 PM

34. "the opening credits go for 20 minutes."
In response to Reply # 28

and i don't know what kind of movies YOU watch..

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 05:46 PM

38. "actually, they only go on for about 4 and a half."
In response to Reply # 34

And why complain when they're matched with that awesome John Williams theme.

An as far as what types of movies I watch, all (well most) kinds. Not just ones made in the last few years. "Gone with the Wind" moves slow. "Superman: The Movie" does not.

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 05:49 AM

44. "the john williams score is indeed fantastic."
In response to Reply # 38

absolutely.

it's also exactly the same as his stars wars score but who's counting?

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 06:46 PM

61. "well, I've never seen Star Wars, so I'm good."
In response to Reply # 44

That, and I can name a GRIP of noted composers whose works for various films sounds more alike than it should - some of whom who've won whole trophycases of Oscars for music.

So who cares? The Superman music works for Superman.

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 03:02 PM

29. "only thing that really dates it (besides the SFX, of course)"

is that bullsht gag with the pimp on the corner when Supes changes for the first time.

Other than that, it holds up pretty well today.

rdhull
Charter member
33145 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 08:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
63. "RE: only thing that really dates it (besides the SFX, of course)"
In response to Reply # 29

>is that bullsht gag with the pimp on the corner when Supes
>changes for the first time.
>
>Other than that, it holds up pretty well today.

"Yo dude, that's a bad outFIT!!"

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 02:57 PM

27. "maybe a week or two ago. It's in my digital collection."
In response to Reply # 11
Wed Dec-15-10 03:05 PM by Nukkapedia

I bought that "Ultimate Superman Collection" when it dropped, so I have all of the Superman films.

No, it's not a perfect film (it's hard to make a perfect comic book movie), but it captures the essence and world of the comic books so perfectly that the good far outweighs the bad (which is primarily how cartoony Lex Luthor is in that film).

"Batman" (1989) is also an excellent comic book movie, and I suppose "300" counts as well.

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17897 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 03:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
31. "I'd still go with Spider-Man 2."
In response to Reply # 5

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
-George Clinton

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 04:03 PM

32. "I knew I forgot one. Spider-Man 2 as well."
In response to Reply # 31

Tiger Woods
18402 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 09:13 PM

40. "that's my favorite movie of all time so i've stopped calling it just a "

comic book movie

s t a r s k y
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
2396 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 08:46 AM

46. "yep"

(屮゚Д゚ )屮

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5182 posts
Tue Dec-14-10 10:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Good for him"
In response to Reply # 0

I wonder if what the studios wanted was a bad turn and he didn't want part of it or he just said eff' it and left. Either way dude man two fun movies one of which was one of the best new Milena era Superhero flicks made.

wonder if he got the Richard Donner treatment?

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Tue Dec-14-10 11:30 PM

8. "considering he's making another movie for the same company"
In response to Reply # 6

I suspect not.

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 11:52 AM

9. "It really does seem as if, after the home run that was"
In response to Reply # 0

Iron Man and Incredible Hulk, Marvel/Disney are really trying their best to not be awesome.

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 11:58 AM

12. "thor is going to kick. ass."
In response to Reply # 9

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43755 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 12:07 PM

16. "The Incredible Hulk was ass juice."
In response to Reply # 9

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 12:39 PM

17. "^^^Non-fiction"
In response to Reply # 16

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 12:45 PM

18. "You are tripping."

OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 01:39 PM

21. "Back to this again"

*sigh*

http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/

Latest episode- Silky1's Unsung Tribute (Parts 1, 2 & 3)

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44918 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 02:00 PM

22. "it was excellent. "

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 02:54 PM

26. ""excellent" is hyperbole for describing most films, let alone that one."
In response to Reply # 22

Cold Truth
44918 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 02:05 PM

54. "you really shouldn't talk about people using hyperbole"
In response to Reply # 26

-Sig-

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Tiger Woods
18402 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 02:16 PM

23. "I don't know why they're blasting you, you're right."

movie sucked.

Cold Truth
44918 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 02:42 PM

24. "not really. "
In response to Reply # 23

plenty of people loved it
some people didn't care for it at all
it was critically well received by pros and joes alike

i will say he's certainly entitled to his opinion, as are you, because lets face it- the populace can and does get it wrong often enough, and i'm not one who really cares about that anyways.

-Sig-

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 03:05 PM

30. "'08 Hulk has only a *slightly* better Tomatometer than '03 Hulk."
In response to Reply # 24

like, "margin of error" slight.

I've said for the last two years that they're both heavily flawed, only in different ways.

Cold Truth
44918 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 01:43 AM

43. "fuck the tomato meter. go to yahoo user reviews. 22,000 people"
In response to Reply # 30

give it a B+

-Sig-

Wrongthink
Member since Sep 29th 2006
4874 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 01:11 PM

52. "must be excellent"
In response to Reply # 43

...says Wrongthink

Real talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12JJv6yCk7Q

Current Rotation:

Shad - TSOL
Onra - Long Distance
Cool Kids - Tacklebox
Shabazz Palaces

Cold Truth
44918 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 03:51 PM

56. "lol i don't really care about the populace opinion "
In response to Reply # 52

but if you want to use that barometer, fine
just don't limit that response to the relatively limited pool of RT

-Sig-

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43755 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 05:35 PM

37. "Can we at least agree lumping it in with IM1 is a terrible idea?"
In response to Reply # 24

Like really. One is a top tier comic book movie of all time; the other, at best, is a middling attempt at one.

There's nothing memorable about Incredible Hulk, and I don't know anyone who's seen it more than once. Iron Man, on the other hand, is a candidate for GOAT comic book film.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12496 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 10:52 PM

41. "honestly, given the history of comic book movies"
In response to Reply # 37

middling probably puts it in the top 25, lol.

also the final battle was memorable. not to mention I still don't understand the criticism of it really. What exactly did people want to see going in? Not to say that it meeting expectations automatically makes it a good film, but the criticisms are strange to me. People want Hulk Smash. '03 Hulk didn't deliver, '08 Hulk did.

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 12:30 AM

42. "RE: honestly, given the history of comic book movies"
In response to Reply # 41

>
>middling probably puts it in the top 25, lol.
>
>also the final battle was memorable.
it was memorable for involving two very poorly designed cartoon characters slugging it out.

not to mention I still
>don't understand the criticism of it really. What exactly did
>people want to see going in?
Um, a good movie?

Not to say that it meeting
>expectations automatically makes it a good film, but the
>criticisms are strange to me. People want Hulk Smash. '03 Hulk
>didn't deliver, '08 Hulk did.
The problem with '08 Hulk is that all they focused on was "Hulk Smash", and they didn't even get much of that right (see also, that unconvincing looking fight on the green). The talent of Ed Norton was almost completely wasted on such a vapid film.

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 02:53 PM

25. "It was a good popcorn movie, but it had serious story problems"

and the CGI was awful, as was the effects of having the monsters voices be multitracked like a bad Saturday morning cartoon.

It was too light, while, in contrast, the first Hulk (Ang Lee's) had too much story, was far too long, and only had a few short action sequences. And while the texturing and compositing lacked seriously in Lee's Hulk, the actual character animation (and model) were a bit more convincing. I was in the theater _appalled_ at how rushed and subpar the CGI in the '08 Hulk was when I first saw it.

Cold Truth
44918 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 11:13 AM

49. "it wasn't too much story in the first, the story just sucked"
In response to Reply # 25
Thu Dec-16-10 11:23 AM by Cold Truth

i cringe everytime someone says that nonsense
because there wasn't "too much story"
the story just blew liquid out it's rear end

and hulk 08 looked HULK
that dude looked beastly
funny you call 08 two cartoons fighting when brokeback's version was far more cartoonish. it looked like banner just got ahold of jim carreys Mask instead of hulking out

the action and the context of the action itself plays up the hulk being HULK better in the second

and he just flat out looks better tall, lean, and ripped like he's been on p90ex and steroids. evem in teh comics i never liked the roundish, chubby hulk from the old days

-Sig-

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 12:40 PM

50. "RE: it wasn't too much story in the first, the story just sucked"
In response to Reply # 49

>i cringe everytime someone says that nonsense
>because there wasn't "too much story"
>the story just blew liquid out it's rear end

No, there was indeed too much story, specifically too much backstory. They tried to compress damn near all 40 years of psychologically-based Hulk comics into about 40% of the runtime of the film. Made the film very, very dense and over long.

>
>and hulk 08 looked HULK
>that dude looked beastly
>funny you call 08 two cartoons fighting when brokeback's
>version was far more cartoonish. it looked like banner just
>got ahold of jim carreys Mask instead of hulking out

I hope calling Ang Lee "Brokeback" was not meant to be an insult. That's some fifth grade bullshit.

And no, the '08 Hulk did not look that good. THr '03 Hulk might have been Technicolor green, but that's the color the character is in the books, so that's what they went with. Other people had a problem with it, so for the second I guess they thought they could dress up poor quality animation by over texturing it.

But the actual animation/motion catpure/whatever the fuck in the first film was far, far better than in the second, where I'm watching shoulders improperly deform and obviously low poly models swapped in and out between shots. The worst were the transformation scenes, which were wretched-looking. The '08 Hulk, didn't look like he could convincingly co-exist in the world with the rest of the characters, more by poor, weightless animation from Rhythm and Hues (versus ILM, who did the first film) than the design.

>
>the action and the context of the action itself plays up the
>hulk being HULK better in the second

Doesn't make up enough fo the rest.

>
>and he just flat out looks better tall, lean, and ripped like
>he's been on p90ex and steroids. evem in teh comics i never
>liked the roundish, chubby hulk from the old days

First of all, only a dumbass goes on p90x and steroids at the same fucking time. Second of all, the design doesn't mean shit if it's not utilized properly and if the head on the thing isn't designed properly (which I don't think it was). Third of all, the '03 Hulk was taller (MUCH taller) than the '08 one. Fourth of all, why are you throwing Jack Kirby under the bus like that?

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 12:49 PM

51. "addendum: the '08 Hulk only looked good in a handful of the shots"
In response to Reply # 50

in the picture, and most, if not all of them, are in the trailer.

Cold Truth
44918 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 02:02 PM

53. "oh god. try and stop trying to be a victim for 5 minutes. "
In response to Reply # 50
Thu Dec-16-10 02:03 PM by Cold Truth

>No, there was indeed too much story, specifically too much
>backstory. They tried to compress damn near all 40 years of
>psychologically-based Hulk comics into about 40% of the
>runtime of the film. Made the film very, very dense and over
>long.

either way... the story was boring.

>I hope calling Ang Lee "Brokeback" was not meant to be an
>insult. That's some fifth grade bullshit.

clearly you took it as an insult, so it is what it is at this point.
ang lee did brokeback mouintain, right? i don't know any other ang lee movies to refference. people are way too caught up in this being an ang lee film. ang lee, ang lee, ang lee. put michael bays name on the exact same movie and you'd get an entirely different response for that steaming mess for the ang lee fanboys.

>And no, the '08 Hulk did not look that good.

yeah he did, so we'll agree to disagre on that. he looked great actually.

>might have been Technicolor green, but that's the color the
>character is in the books, so that's what they went with.

this is where the "stay faithful to the source material" types lose me. just because it was in the original medium, doesn't mean it translates well into a movie. giving me a legit reason why something was done the way it was done does not make that thing any good. it's still awful. next your gonna tell me the hulk dogs were a great idea because the comic had them.

>Other people had a problem with it, so for the second I guess
>they thought they could dress up poor quality animation by
>over texturing it.

it was a completely different creature. sue them for actually putting some detail and definition on this one.

>But the actual animation/motion catpure/whatever the fuck in
>the first film was far, far better than in the second, where
>I'm watching shoulders improperly deform and obviously low
>poly models swapped in and out between shots.

this is where your super animation know it all thing gets in yoru way:

how would you know what a proper shoulder deformation during a hulk transformation looks like?

how many of these have you seen in the real world?

The worst were
>the transformation scenes, which were wretched-looking. The
>'08 Hulk, didn't look like he could convincingly co-exist in
>the world with the rest of the characters, more by poor,
>weightless animation from Rhythm and Hues (versus ILM, who did
>the first film) than the design.

...and you really think that day glow green shrek monster looked like hhe really lived in that world? really? that mess was a half degree off of roger rabbit status.

>First of all, only a dumbass goes on p90x and steroids at the
>same fucking time.

first of all, dummy, only an idiot would make the hulked out leap from a blatantly obvious over the top description of a character in a movie to equating it to a real world action. i'm not talking about real people you dolt. i wasn't even making a suggestion of such a thing. it was basically saying he was freakishly ripped as the hulk should look, as if he went on p90ex and took steroids at the same time. take some prozac or something.

>if it's not utilized properly and if the head on the thing
>isn't designed properly (which I don't think it was). Third of
>all, the '03 Hulk was taller (MUCH taller) than the '08 one.

yes, and they decided to keep him a little more in line with the real world by making him 9 feet tall. the idea was to make him freakishly huge but try and keep some semblance of real world scale. so i dunno what you mean by "designed properly" and using this stupid comparison with the first one. wtf does 03 being taller have to do with anything? they created their own design with their own vision, who the hell are you to say they didn't design him properly?

>Fourth of all, why are you throwing Jack Kirby under the bus
>like that?

throw him under the buss? whats with you and the hyperbole today? lets not get carried away, mr misty eyes.

saying i'm not a fan of the og retard frankenstein styled design is throwing him under the buss now? is there some law stating that i have to like it? or one saying i am not allowed to say it if i don't? saying that's not really a good look for a movie version of that character is throwing him under the bus now? how is that throwing him under the bus?

did i somehow make him the scapegoat for something?
did i set him up for failure somehow?
did i put him in a position to lose every penny he's earned from it?
did i set fire to a wearhouse full of his original panels?

did i do anything even resembling "throwing jack kirby under a bus?
no?

-Sig-

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 05:08 PM

58. "if you can rewrite that in adult language without the insults, I might r..."
In response to Reply # 53

(and miss me with the "you just don't have a response" - I have plenty of things to say, but knowledgeable discourse seems lost on you)

Otherwise, I've better things to do.

Cold Truth
44918 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 05:58 PM

59. "one insult deserved another. you came with it first."
In response to Reply # 58

-Sig-

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 06:44 PM

60. "is this the goddamned third grade? we on that "he started it?""
In response to Reply # 59
Thu Dec-16-10 06:44 PM by Nukkapedia

If we're on that, the negatively connotated "Brokeback" comment came first, to which I wasn't trying to play "victim" (because my name isn't Ang Lee), only pointing out how immature it is to call dude 'Brokeback" in a disparaging manner, as if him directing that picture was a bad thing in any for or fashion.

And even if I _had_ taken personal offense to it, where does the "stop being a victim" nonsense stop? Am I allowed to run up on white folks or Latinos and spew racial epithets, run u on Christians and tell anti-Jesus jokes, etc, and then flip the script on them when they complain? It's not too hard to learn to communicate in a civil, adult manner, especially when discussing shit as trivial as comic book movies.

Cold Truth
44918 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 06:53 PM

62. "lol... man yuo really got upset at the brokeback thing. "
In response to Reply # 60
Thu Dec-16-10 07:01 PM by Cold Truth

you popped things off with your comment on the p90ex thing
spare me the third grade comment because you got all juvenile about something you know good and well was merely descriptive language of the appearance of hulk.

>If we're on that, the negatively connotated "Brokeback"
>comment came first, to which I wasn't trying to play "victim"
>(because my name isn't Ang Lee), only pointing out how
>immature it is to call dude 'Brokeback" in a disparaging
>manner, as if him directing that picture was a bad thing in
>any for or fashion.

it wasn't disparaging, only wisecracking,, you simply took offense to that wisecrack and asumed an agenda that wasn't there. it's no different from the way you initially read into the boyz in the hood thread yesterday. you can either accept that i meant no malice or not, but that's your choice.

>Am I allowed to run
>up on white folks or Latinos and spew racial epithets,

smh. did i call you a bunch of names? i called ang lee brokeback because- NEWSFLASH- he directed the movie. i didn't call you brokeback. i didn't insult you.

at worst, it was an insensitive quip of zero consequence on my part.
you've made much more of it then there was. for what it's worth, i apologize because it absolutely wasn't meant to be taken as an ephitet.

-Sig-

forte
Member since Jul 19th 2007
6827 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 04:28 PM

35. "gotta disagree. this movie made me buy a blu-ray player."

real talk. this is the single reason i brought a blu ray player back in 08 when the shits were still expensive.

- u already know

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 05:47 PM

39. "I don't want to see *that* movie in hi def."
In response to Reply # 35

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 11:55 AM

10. "well, i guess he's not happy."
In response to Reply # 0

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Dec-15-10 12:07 PM

15. "I don't blame him after that last one"
In response to Reply # 0

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 09:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
47. "A tad depressing all comic sequels suffer from badguy-itis"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean I know you want to sell more action figures, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

It's just weird to me to higher all these solid directors as if they are focused on quality, and then start mucking around with the process. Might as well just find some dude transitioning from music videos who will be the studio's bitch.

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 09:59 AM

48. "Nobody learns the Batman lesson. Which is strange, "
In response to Reply # 47

Brother_Afron
Member since Jul 06th 2003
3812 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 03:17 PM

55. "RE: A tad depressing all comic sequels suffer from badguy-itis"
In response to Reply # 47

Actually, I think the problem is that they're trying to stuff more good guys in it, not villains.

That was my problem with Iron Man 2. They were so busy trying to tie everything into the fucking Avengers instead of letting Iron Man get his own shine on.

It looks like they wanted to not only continue that, but amp it up even more.

Tiger Woods
18402 posts
Thu Dec-16-10 04:57 PM

57. "it felt like a middle movie between the second Iron Man movie that "
In response to Reply # 55

we never saw and the Avengers movie that's on its way

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #545968 Previous topic | Next topic