Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #504689

Subject: "Is Mark Millar and John Romita, Jr.'s Kick-Ass racist?" Previous topic | Next topic
Vaiops2wega
Member since Jul 01st 2002
2361 posts
Sun Feb-21-10 02:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is Mark Millar and John Romita, Jr.'s Kick-Ass racist?"

Here's an article by Douglas Wolk on the creepy race issues within the comic. I think he's reaching a bit with this, but his criticism certainly isn't unfounded. Click the link on the bottom to read the whole article

I’d like to skip over the problematic actual plot of Kick-Ass here, in part because other people have addressed some of its more dubious elements, but I can’t let its conclusion’s racial politics pass without comment. Dave’s ultimate two-part humiliation in the story’s coda is that the girl he likes is having sex with his (black) schoolmate (“I whacked off at that picture while crying, some nights,” he tells us), and his dad is having sex—on panel, no less—with a (black) woman Dave had tried to rescue earlier. Now, you can look at that two different ways. The less charitable one is that Millar is suggesting that everybody knows that’s the worst thing that could possibly happen to a white kid, and therefore we get to laugh at Dave. Millar’s too smart for that, I think (I hope). The subtler possibility is that since Dave is explicitly presented as a stand-in for the archetypal fanboy—the not-a-jock, not-a-brainiac loser who stocks up on comics every Wednesday—and that since (Millar is suggesting) fanboys are racist pricks, this is what Dave considers the worst thing that could possibly happen to him, and therefore we get to laugh at Dave. That’s a kinder interpretation; it only suggests that Millar is asking his audience to hold themselves in contempt.

http://techland.com/2010/02/19/emanata-hi-kids-do-you-like-violence/

“You do Coach bags, I do kush bags, you a douchebag, I’m the truth fag/share greedy, ya’ll niggas get scared easy, queer like multiple pairs of Air Yeezys” - Sean Price

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yeah, i don't see it
Feb 21st 2010
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Feb 21st 2010
gaaaaaaahhd yall will try to find racism in everything.
Feb 21st 2010
RE: gaaaaaaahhd yall will try to find racism in everything.
Feb 21st 2010
Yeah it's pretty annoying.
Feb 21st 2010
I don't know about y'all....
Feb 21st 2010
So basically this writer is getting his Scorsesse on. Got it.
Mar 30th 2010
more tarantino imo.
Mar 30th 2010
i said that same shit when i read the comic.
Mar 30th 2010
Millar's kinda a hack, guys
Mar 30th 2010
I agreee.
Mar 31st 2010
Millar's is a habitual line stepper
Mar 31st 2010
GOOD LORD.
Mar 31st 2010

IceburgSmurf
Member since May 17th 2008
4724 posts
Sun Feb-21-10 03:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yeah, i don't see it"
In response to Reply # 0

But im notoriously bad at reading subtle racism so maybe its just me but both situations just seem like black actors getting work

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Sun Feb-21-10 05:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
In response to Reply # 1

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85078 posts
Sun Feb-21-10 05:17 PM

3. "gaaaaaaahhd yall will try to find racism in everything."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Vaiops2wega
Member since Jul 01st 2002
2361 posts
Sun Feb-21-10 06:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: gaaaaaaahhd yall will try to find racism in everything."
In response to Reply # 3

You act like this shit never happens. The biggest movie of last year was the most racist shit I've ever seen

“You do Coach bags, I do kush bags, you a douchebag, I’m the truth fag/share greedy, ya’ll niggas get scared easy, queer like multiple pairs of Air Yeezys” - Sean Price

BennyTenStack
Member since Sep 09th 2007
5681 posts
Sun Feb-21-10 07:28 PM

5. "Yeah it's pretty annoying."
In response to Reply # 3

I'm sure the author of that article would think this post is racist because the black text in this message box is overwhelmed by all the blank white space.

I know there is a lot of racism still existing in Hollywood, but to just go looking for it with a huge chip on your shoulder is just stupid to me.

jadedeejay
Member since Sep 22nd 2006
2426 posts
Sun Feb-21-10 08:58 PM

6. "I don't know about y'all...."
In response to Reply # 0

...but if I walked in on my pops fuckin some broad - black, white, Puerto Rican, or purple -I'd be pretty mortified too. 'Cism ain't got shit to do w/ it.

www.www.facebook.com/pages/DJJedi/44191809751
www.myspace.com/djjedi1
www.twitter.com/DJJedi

cheap skeiht killa
Member since Dec 23rd 2008
4453 posts
Tue Mar-30-10 03:22 PM

7. "So basically this writer is getting his Scorsesse on. Got it."
In response to Reply # 0

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Tue Mar-30-10 03:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "more tarantino imo."
In response to Reply # 7

Bruce Belafonte
Member since Jan 14th 2008
31999 posts
Tue Mar-30-10 03:38 PM

9. "i said that same shit when i read the comic."
In response to Reply # 0

http://youtu.be/5o37GORoKUQ

#htpw

kevlar skully
Member since Mar 13th 2007
6049 posts
Tue Mar-30-10 08:14 PM

10. "Millar's kinda a hack, guys"
In response to Reply # 0

imo of course

Kick-ass seems like something he wrote in a week and got JRJR to draw in a month. I didn't pay too much attention to it when it was first announced but it seems like a book he made with the intent of it being made into a movie for some quick cash

His shit is stale

xbenzive
Charter member
3183 posts
Wed Mar-31-10 12:34 AM

11. "I agreee."
In response to Reply # 10

He's not that good of a writer and all of his material is over-rated.

http://www.artisticalliance.org

Brother_Afron
Member since Jul 06th 2003
3812 posts
Wed Mar-31-10 09:52 AM

12. "Millar's is a habitual line stepper"
In response to Reply # 0

"The kind of characters he runs into is like Spider-Man's granddaughter, who is called Spider-Bitch and she is this black Spidey-Girl type of person that runs around in Utah."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=12380

Then there's the upcoming Ultimate Avengers which features the "African-American Hulk" who can be seen here http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/preview2.php?image=solicits/marvelcomics/201006/130_ULTIMATE_COMICS_AVENGERS_2_4.jpg

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18759 posts
Wed Mar-31-10 10:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "GOOD LORD."
In response to Reply # 12

>Then there's the upcoming Ultimate Avengers which features the
>"African-American Hulk" who can be seen here
>http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/preview2.php?image=solicits/marvelcomics/201006/130_ULTIMATE_COMICS_AVENGERS_2_4.jpg

Like, I get that "Blulk" should be a bit of a bad ass, but making him Marcellus Wallace meets Mr. T?

http://www.erinjackson.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/cmon_son.jpg

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #504689 Previous topic | Next topic