Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #502241

Subject: " i didn't know OLDBOY was part of a Trilogy......." Previous topic | Next topic
southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 02:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
" i didn't know OLDBOY was part of a Trilogy......."

1) Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
2) OldBoy
3) Lady Vengeance

i don't think the stories are related, but Chanwook Park made it a trilogy about REVENGE!!!!
anyway my korean coworker put me on to these
i just added (1,3) to my instant queue

~~~~~~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
first one is like a worse Oldboy.
Feb 08th 2010
yea he said the 1st was corny, but fuck it it's instant queue
Feb 08th 2010
OldBoy was my fav, loved Lady Vengeance.....
Feb 08th 2010
yup
Feb 08th 2010
I didn't like "Sympathy..."' but "Lady Vengeance" is dope
Feb 08th 2010
you should check out Thirst too
Feb 08th 2010
added thanks
Feb 08th 2010
also, I didn't know that Macaulay Culkin
Feb 08th 2010
Feel like I should defend the first one
Feb 08th 2010
elaborate if u will
Feb 08th 2010
      RE: elaborate if u will
Feb 08th 2010
I didn't wanna see the others after seein Oldboy. Thrist looks good tho
Feb 08th 2010
pretty much agree with everyone
Feb 08th 2010
2. > 1. > 3.
Feb 08th 2010
      RE: 2. > 1. > 3.
Feb 08th 2010
      i also preferred sympathy over lady vengeance n/m
Feb 10th 2010
I actually liked Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance a lot...
Feb 08th 2010
I always check for him
Feb 09th 2010
RE: I always check for him
Feb 09th 2010
I'm A Cyborg, But that's Ok is good...
Feb 09th 2010
I liked that about Lady Vengeance (minor spoilers).
Feb 09th 2010
I want him to tackle something in America.
Feb 10th 2010
that would be a disaster
Feb 10th 2010

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 02:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "first one is like a worse Oldboy."
In response to Reply # 0

I liked the third best.

--------

southphillyman
90059 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 02:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "yea he said the 1st was corny, but fuck it it's instant queue "
In response to Reply # 1

if it's real wack i'll just stop watching

~~~~~~

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 02:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "OldBoy was my fav, loved Lady Vengeance....."
In response to Reply # 0

never bothered watching Sympathy.... heard it was meh....

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 03:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "yup"
In response to Reply # 3

same for me. Never saw the first one but own the last two.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

woe.is.me.
Member since Aug 06th 2007
13957 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 03:19 PM

4. "I didn't like "Sympathy..."' but "Lady Vengeance" is dope"
In response to Reply # 0

---
www.ikirejones.com
FW16: After Migration.

PIMPINCHICAGO
Member since Mar 11th 2003
7441 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 03:19 PM

5. "you should check out Thirst too"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pge939Mt1yI

southphillyman
90059 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 04:33 PM

10. "added thanks"
In response to Reply # 5

~~~~~~

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 03:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "also, I didn't know that Macaulay Culkin"
In response to Reply # 0

has been fucking Mila Kunis since That 70's Show. that's some good recon, getting her wifed up before she really blew.

--------

Arch Stanton
Member since Jul 11th 2006
629 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 03:30 PM

8. "Feel like I should defend the first one"
In response to Reply # 0

I actually liked this one quite a bit. It doesn't have the gut-punch of the other two, but it's a good film. It was a bit static and slow, but I thought it was like watching a nature documentary on revenge (without any narration).

southphillyman
90059 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 04:32 PM

9. "elaborate if u will"
In response to Reply # 8

> but I thought it was like watching a
>nature documentary on revenge (without any narration).

~~~~~~

Arch Stanton
629 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 10:52 PM

14. "RE: elaborate if u will"
In response to Reply # 9

Hard to talk about much without spoilers. The pacing of the movie is really slow and the camera is usually static- which gives the film almost a detached, clinical feel (kind of how you feel watching a Kubrick movie). And it doesn't have the stylistic flourishes the other 2 movies have.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 04:41 PM

11. "I didn't wanna see the others after seein Oldboy. Thrist looks good tho"
In response to Reply # 0

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 05:20 PM

12. "pretty much agree with everyone"
In response to Reply # 0

mr. vengeance is ok, oldboy and lady are great.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

avillago
Charter member
442 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 08:58 PM

13. "2. > 1. > 3. "
In response to Reply # 12

I actually like Mr. Sympathy more than the third one...Lady Vengeance.

Arch Stanton
629 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 10:58 PM

16. "RE: 2. > 1. > 3. "
In response to Reply # 13

I agree. The third had too much of a shock value component without the mystery of the second. It was just revolting all around (still worth watching though).

The first one is not as exciting as the others, but it's more of a meditation on vengeance and its consequences than a twisted, elaborate revenge flick.

moonwrita
Charter member
1557 posts
Wed Feb-10-10 04:15 AM

21. "i also preferred sympathy over lady vengeance n/m"
In response to Reply # 13

@LDNHipHopmgp(we meetup, go to hip hop events)

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Feb-08-10 10:55 PM

15. "I actually liked Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance a lot..."
In response to Reply # 0

Okay, a pivotal plot development with a mentally challenged guy is a little weak, and kind of wrong to be the catalyst to everything that happens after, but overall I thought it was pretty great, and more than anything, I think it's more successful than Oldboy AND Lady Vengeance as a clever vengeance story.

Stylistically, Oldboy and Lady Vengeance are far better. But my problem with Lady Vengeance is that the villain is cut and dried, you don't feel bad for him and there's never any doubt that the revenge is in order, even when it arrives in a bloody way. With Oldboy, we're shown a more sympathetic side to all the main characters to kind of blur the line of who to root for--but I think the bad guy always remains the bad guy. When I saw Oldboy the second time, it stood out a little more that the main character was more of a villain than a hero, that he was meant to be a despicable guy...but the movie always stays closest to him, to keep him as the emotional focus.

In Mr. Vengeance, the 'villain' is the revenge, and all the main characters are good people that meet a tragic end because of the vengeance. You understand why each character needs the vengeance, but it's at the expense of another sympathetic character. Up til that point, I hadn't seen too many movies that successfully pulled that off--they always take a convenient way out and give the audience a reason to hate one of the characters. In fact, right now I can't think of another movie that pulls it off as well.

Sorry, that was probably way more than necessary. But because of these movies, Thirst and Joint Security Area, Park Chan-wook is probably my favorite contemporary director right now...

Arch Stanton
629 posts
Tue Feb-09-10 12:18 PM

17. "I always check for him"
In response to Reply # 15

JSA was very, very good. Thirst was awesomely weird, but it really should have been trimmed down a bit more. Overall, I love his stylistic touches but they shouldn't be first priority (which affected Lady V and Thirst, I think).

Has anyone seen "I'm a Cyborg and that's OK"? Haven't seen it yet.

ryc
Member since Jan 01st 2007
448 posts
Tue Feb-09-10 05:52 PM

19. "RE: I always check for him"
In response to Reply # 17

>Has anyone seen "I'm a Cyborg and that's OK"? Haven't seen it
>yet.

I liked it even though I don't remember much of it. I thought the hate was pretty undeserved

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Feb-09-10 08:12 PM

20. "I'm A Cyborg, But that's Ok is good..."
In response to Reply # 17

Not great, but good. A few scenes are really memorable. It's a light film, and it kind of ends on a flat note, but it's good. And of course it looks beautiful--the colors jumped out at me in this one in a way similar to Jean-Pierre Jeunet's style (the director of Amelie).

It's easy to see why it didn't do so well in the U.S. though. It's a cute, 'little' movie. There's no real antagonist, the love story is very understated, and it ends on such a quiet, unexpected note (not 'unexpected' in a surprising way, just abrupt, seemingly without a real finish).

But it's definitely worth seeing.

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Tue Feb-09-10 12:31 PM

18. "I liked that about Lady Vengeance (minor spoilers)."
In response to Reply # 15
Tue Feb-09-10 12:32 PM by will_5198

>my problem with Lady Vengeance is that the villain is cut and
>dried, you don't feel bad for him and there's never any doubt
>that the revenge is in order

because of the removed ambiguity, and how despicable his acts were, it's all set up to be the most acceptable "revenge" of them all. you know, that whole "lock him in a room with so-and-so" adage brought to life.

but in the end, the revenge is just as hollow as all the other movies. even when they had every reason to relish it. I think the first two movies were more about how revenge never stops, the cost of revenge and the misguided notions for revenge. Lady Vengeance was the capper: even if you get your perfect revenge, and for all the right reasons, you never get back what was taken from you in the first place. it's an empty conclusion.

--------

xbenzive
Charter member
3183 posts
Wed Feb-10-10 11:02 AM

22. "I want him to tackle something in America. "
In response to Reply # 0

But it has to be original content. I don't want remakes, comic book, or an establish franchise. He's very unique and talented as a film maker and I want him to at lease make one film set in America. I would love to see that transition.

http://www.artisticalliance.org

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Wed Feb-10-10 05:10 PM

23. "that would be a disaster"
In response to Reply # 22

So far every single Asian director I've liked seriously fell off when they went to make a movie in America.

It would be great for Chan-wook Park to be the exception. But I just really think any movie he tried to make would get quickly eaten up in the Hollywood machine.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #502241 Previous topic | Next topic