Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #485124

Subject: "Netflix has "The Citizen Kane of Bad Movies" for rent" Previous topic | Next topic
Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Thu Nov-05-09 03:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Netflix has "The Citizen Kane of Bad Movies" for rent"
Thu Nov-05-09 04:01 PM by Sponge

Tommy Wiseau's The Room:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2009/05/the-movie-thats.html

If you haven't seen it yet, put it at the top of your queue now. Man, the rooftop and football scenes, the character entrances, the dialogue, acting, music, the moans during the sex scenes, Wiseau's laugh - gold.

In the DVD interview, the greatest question of all-time was asked: Why are the characters playing football in tuxedos, and why just three feet apart?

Theatrical screenings:
http://www.theroommovie.com/screeningspop.html

Who here has been to one?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Sunset 5, Los Angeles
Nov 05th 2009
Rooftop scene: You should be an exxxperttt Mark...
Nov 05th 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISXiFJS9D5A
Nov 05th 2009
RE: Sunset 5, Los Angeles
Nov 05th 2009
PURCHASE that got damn DVD
Nov 05th 2009
Make it the November movie for the OKP Movie Club
Nov 05th 2009
^^^co-sign.
Nov 05th 2009
David Cross, Paul Rudd, et al and The Room (article)
Nov 10th 2009
I gotta see this.
Nov 10th 2009
This is in the queue
Nov 10th 2009
RE: This is in the queue
Nov 10th 2009
dude, you made me dream last night that I went to the SF screening
Nov 11th 2009
That's awesome.
Nov 12th 2009
      The dream is fading but here's all I remember
Nov 24th 2009
That truly is awesomely bad
Nov 11th 2009
Manos...
Nov 11th 2009
Oh, it's on that level?
Nov 24th 2009
      I'm fed up with this world....
Nov 24th 2009
           cheep cheep cheep cheep
Nov 24th 2009
went last night (sunset5, LA)
Nov 29th 2009
Watched this with a friend last night
Nov 29th 2009
Want to play some football?
Nov 29th 2009
WHAT KIND OF DRUGS DENNY?
Dec 03rd 2009
hold up ... OKPs can have friends?
Dec 03rd 2009
      I'll do it
Dec 03rd 2009
           my brother's got a copy and i am seeing him this weekend.
Dec 03rd 2009
                Whenever, the next Bears game is a Monday Nighter isn't it?
Dec 03rd 2009
Need to check it out.
Dec 01st 2009
Troll2 is on Hulu.com in it's entirety...
Dec 01st 2009
I saw this
Dec 24th 2018
LMFAO I LOVE that movie. Adult Swim randomly showed it.
Dec 01st 2009
tried to watch it...man, it's just bad in large parts
Dec 16th 2009
FUCK THIS MOVIE IS AWFUL
Jan 08th 2010
IS HE DEAD!!!
Jan 08th 2010
MOTHER FUCKER *runs at Mark in slow motion*
Jan 08th 2010
Tried to watch it with my girl
Jan 08th 2010
      yeah my wife was working out in the other room
Jan 08th 2010
"The Citizen Kane of Bad Movies" is Plan 9
Jan 08th 2010
i hate when cultural irony becomes profitable for talentless people
Jan 08th 2010
i agreed with you until i saw the trailer and a couple scenes
Jan 08th 2010
they are never making the money back on this movie
Jan 08th 2010
      Ehhh, the movie's like 9 bucks on Amazon
Jan 08th 2010
download links:
Jan 08th 2010
So how's your sex life?
Jan 08th 2010
Well, the results came back: I definitely have BREAST CANCER
Jan 08th 2010
      You have nice legs, Lisa
Jan 08th 2010
           why do you wanna know my secret
Jan 08th 2010
                Come on, play some football with us, what are you chicken? BLAKBLAKBLAKB...
Jan 13th 2010
It's on adult swim right now.
Apr 01st 2010
I feel high... watching this shit. The roof scene *dead*
Apr 01st 2010
I was hoping someone would post this. I was just too tired.
Apr 01st 2010
I caught a few minutes of this last night... dear god
Apr 01st 2010
All it's cracked up to be and more
Apr 01st 2010
Went to a midnight showing a couple weeks ago
Apr 01st 2010
Lisas neck was wylin when she was drinkin wine with her girl
Apr 17th 2010
XYZ
Apr 17th 2010
Just now watching this.
Nov 16th 2011
I expect the next podcast to have at least 20 minutes of Room discussion
Nov 16th 2011
I don't even know what to say, really.
Nov 16th 2011
      *cut to same shot of Wiseau's ass for the 12th time*
Nov 17th 2011
please tell me you aren't sober
Nov 17th 2011
      I say your first time should be sober
Nov 17th 2011
I thought the Room was the shit....
Nov 17th 2011
How Did This Get Made? did this this week
Nov 17th 2011
Listening to it for the second time
Nov 17th 2011
I can't believe that adlibing ISNT the excuse for some lines
Nov 17th 2011
good listen
Nov 18th 2011
They've found their path with that one.
Nov 18th 2011
If you liked "The Room", and you like horror...check out "Things"
Dec 26th 2018

Jason C
Member since Aug 01st 2005
846 posts
Thu Nov-05-09 04:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Sunset 5, Los Angeles"
In response to Reply # 0

>Tommy Wiseau's The Room:
>http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2009/05/the-movie-thats.html
>
>If you haven't seen it yet, put it at the top of your queue
>now. Man, the rooftop and football scenes, the character
>entrances, the dialogue, acting, music, the moans during the
>sex scenes, Wiseau's laugh - gold.
>
>In the DVD interview, the greatest question of all-time was
>asked: Why are the characters playing football in tuxedos,
>and why just three feet apart?
>
>Theatrical screenings:
>http://www.theroommovie.com/screeningspop.html
>
>Who here has been to one?
>
>

i've been to a couple screenings out here in LA. i was HIGHLY skeptical at first. something about watching a loony french dude and his shitty movie wasn't appealing to me. "i paid 15 bucks to watch a horrible film and throw spoons? what's wrong with me?"

i ate my words, cause that night made me a believer.

it's too epic. i've tried to describe the movie to everyone i know, but it all sounds like gibberish until you actually go and experience it. all i know is, ever since i experienced this movie, i can't go to sleep without a soothing glass of scotchka.

some of my favourite lines:

"You are tearing me apart, Lisa!"
"Well, the results came back - I definitely have breast cancer."
"She's a stupid bitch. She wants to control my life. I'm not going to put up with that. I'm going to do what I want to do, and that's it. What do you think I should do?"

da_illest_one
Member since Apr 09th 2005
1761 posts
Thu Nov-05-09 04:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Rooftop scene: You should be an exxxperttt Mark..."
In response to Reply # 1

Also: I did NAHT hit her, I did NAHHHTTTT........ O, Hi Mark

Worst film ever made and also the most enjoyable I've seen in a while.
On amazon.com for $8.99...

On The Lookout 4:
some new music. WTF is going on this year?

THRILLHOUSE
Member since Oct 26th 2007
3655 posts
Thu Nov-05-09 05:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISXiFJS9D5A"
In response to Reply # 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISXiFJS9D5A

LOL that is terrific

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Thu Nov-05-09 04:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Sunset 5, Los Angeles"
In response to Reply # 1

>it's too epic. i've tried to describe the movie to everyone i
>know, but it all sounds like gibberish until you actually go
>and experience it. all i know is, ever since i experienced
>this movie, i can't go to sleep without a soothing glass of
>scotchka.

Even the small stuff are terribly directed and acted like the character entrances; awkward as hell. Example: Peter rings the doorbell, enters the house, door closes, doorbell rings 2 or 3 seconds later, Denny opens the door, Mark enters. LOL.

>some of my favourite lines:

LOL @ these:

>"Well, the results came back - I definitely have breast
>cancer."
>"She's a stupid bitch. She wants to control my life. I'm not
>going to put up with that. I'm going to do what I want to do,
>and that's it. What do you think I should do?"

I'm forgetting tons but three that I recall are:

-"I did naaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhht."

-"You're my favorite customer." (The timing of the delivery and its randomness was awesome.)

-"Oh, hey, Peter." (Mark saw Peter open the door to the rooftop and the way it's written and delivered only makes sense if Mark never knew Peter was there until Peter said hi."

THEdirtyone
Charter member
12088 posts
Thu Nov-05-09 07:34 PM

5. "PURCHASE that got damn DVD"
In response to Reply # 0

it will bring you hours of enjoyment guaranteed

You know, we could all be reading a book right now.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Thu Nov-05-09 08:45 PM

6. "Make it the November movie for the OKP Movie Club"
In response to Reply # 0

***Cheep, cheep, cheep.***

Jason C
846 posts
Thu Nov-05-09 10:44 PM

7. "^^^co-sign. "
In response to Reply # 6

if there's a screening in your area, i'd highly recommend attending it.

another highlight: lisa's neck creature. it moved around under her skin like sonic the hedgehog. i was confused, curious and disgusted at the same time.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Tue Nov-10-09 02:37 PM

8. "David Cross, Paul Rudd, et al and The Room (article)"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Nov-10-09 02:43 PM by Sponge

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20246031,00.html

The Crazy Cult of 'The Room'

A five-year-old box office flop has turned into the newest midnight movie sensation

By Clark Collis

At a midnight screening in a Los Angeles multiplex, the atmosphere hovers somewhere between rambunctious and mildly terrifying. Whenever a framed photograph of a spoon appears on screen, which it frequently does, audience members throw fistfuls of plastic cutlery. They also perform skits, at one point gathering at the bottom right of the screen and shouting, ''Down here, Tommy!'' anticipating the moment when the face of the lead actor, Tommy Wiseau, looks in their direction. And they comment loudly on blurrily shot scenes (''Focus!'') or inadequately introduced characters (''Who the f--- are you?'').

Late-night showings of cult films such as The Rocky Horror Picture Showand The Big Lebowski are known for their rowdy and strange behavior too. But people who go to see Rocky Horror and Lebowski think those films are good. Tonight's movie, an obscure, five-year-old drama called The Room, holds a different place in the hearts of those present at West Hollywood's Laemmle Sunset 5. ''It's absolutely terrible,'' says Chris Bonk, a talent-agency assistant who has seen the film more than 15 times. ''The script is not the best. The acting is certainly not the best. The music is horrible.''

The Room is a San Francisco-set love triangle involving a banker named Johnny, his friend Mark, and Johnny's fiancée Lisa, who is sleeping with both men. The film does seem to be beset with problems. Various subplots are inadequately resolved or simply disappear altogether, including the throwaway revelation that Lisa's mother is suffering from cancer. The film's many rooftop shots feature an unrealistic San Francisco backdrop, thanks to some less-than-impressive greenscreen work. There are lengthy, unerotic sex scenes, the last of which prompts a section of the audience to depart the auditorium temporarily in mock protest. Finally, in one sequence, a sharp bone seems about to erupt from Lisa's neck for no reason at all.

The film's so-bad-it's-freakin'-awesome vibe has attracted a devout army of aficionados whose membership includes the cream of Hollywood's comedy community. Role Models star Paul Rudd and Arrested Development's David Cross are both fans, as is Jonah Hill, who uses a still from the movie as his MySpace photograph. Heroes star Kristen Bell hosts Room-viewing parties at her house and last year attended the film's monthly Laemmle screening with Rudd, Hill, and Shaun of the Dead director Edgar Wright. ''There is a magic about that film that is indescribable,'' she says.

The Room has even infiltrated the halls of cinematic academia. ''It is one of the most important films of the past decade,'' says Ross Morin, an assistant professor of film studies at St. Cloud State University in Minnesota. ''It exposes the fabricated nature of Hollywood. The Room is the Citizen Kane of bad movies.''

If The Room is the Citizen Kane of bad movies, that makes Tommy Wiseau the Orson Welles of crap. Wiseau — who speaks with a thick, Schwarzeneggerian accent — directed, wrote, and produced the film. The muscled auteur also plays the cuckolded Johnny, and, when not exposing his ivory rump in the film's sex scenes, gives a performance that's both heartfelt and berserk. In one scene, a vein-poppingly distraught Wiseau howls the line, ''You are tearing me apart, Lisa!'' The moment — a favorite of Room fans — is reminiscent of both James Dean's ''You're tearing me apart!'' howl in Rebel Without A Cause and Marlon Brando screaming ''Stella!'' in A Streetcar Named Desire. At least it would be, if those actors had chosen to play their parts as deranged Austrians.

The Los Angeles-based Wiseau is an admirer of Streetcar playwright Tennessee Williams and (indeed) Orson Welles. ''You can relate to it,'' he says of their work, over lunch in L.A. the day after the Laemmle screening. ''You see all this emotion. That's why we are on the same page.'' Wiseau is also a big fan of Dean and Brando, but he insists that any discussion of specific films that may have influenced him be off the record. While the actor-director is friendly and infectiously upbeat about his work, he is also incredibly secretive. Wiseau shies away from questions about his background and his age, though he appears to be in his early 50s. ''We tried for a long time to figure out where he's from,'' says actress Juliette Danielle, who plays Lisa in The Room. ''We never got an answer.''

After some prodding, Wiseau does let slip a few personal details. ''I used to live in France, a long time ago,'' he says. ''Then I moved to New Orleans — I have family there. Then I moved to Bay Area. I work for hospital, I work for the city. But I always wanted to be an actor.''

Wiseau got his directorial feet wet with a short film, Robbery Doesn't Pay, and then, in 2002, shot The Room in L.A. and San Francisco. The filmmaker has always refused to discuss where he got the movie's $6 million budget, but he now hints that at least some of the money came from a clothing import business. ''I tell you a little bit, but that's it,'' he says. ''We import from Korea the leather jackets that we design here in America. If you work, you have to save money, right? I didn't get money from the sky. I was preparing, let's put it this way.'' The shoot was marred by the constant departures of cast and crew members. ''It was just mayhem,'' recalls Dan Janjigian, who plays a drug dealer in one of the film's peculiar plot cul-de-sacs. ''You could come in and it would be a completely different cast and crew. It was crazy.'' Wiseau himself initially denies that he had problems with his behind-the-camera team — ''I was very happy with everyone'' — but then admits that he did come into conflict with individuals who tried to tamper with his work. ''Some of the crew members, it's correct, we changed three times basically,'' he recalls. ''Because they tried, for example, to change the script. They say, 'This is the way to do, etcetera, etcetera.' I say, 'No!''' However, according to one cast member who requested anonymity, the script was indeed altered during the shoot: ''It was actually a lot longer. There was stuff that was just unsayable. I know it's hard to imagine there was stuff that was worse. But there was.''

Wiseau insists he always intended The Room to be partly comedic, and that the movie's perceived faults — including the out-of-focus scenes — are deliberate. ''Let's assume we did everything perfect way,'' he hypothesizes. ''You will be asking this question? No, no.'' However, another anonymous cast member has no doubt that Wiseau is merely making the best of an extremely bad job: ''I don't have anything to say about Tommy as a person. He is a nice guy. But he is full of s---. He was trying to put together a drama. It was basically his stage to show off his acting ability.''

The Room opened at a handful of cinemas in L.A. on June 27, 2003. The director, who self-distributed the movie, offered a free soundtrack CD for ticket buyers, and promoted the film with a TV and print campaign that compared The Room to the work of Tennessee Williams. Wiseau rented a billboard on Highland Avenue, which featured a close-up of his glowering visage, and submitted the film to the Academy Awards, without success. Cast member Robyn Paris recalls the film's premiere screening as ''a big deal. Tommy rode in a limousine. There was a spotlight set up. It was pretty packed. Everyone in the theater was crying with laughter.'' Not everyone found the film so amusing, however. Variety critic Scott Foundas noted that it ''may be something of a first: a movie that prompts most of its viewers to ask for their money back — before even 30 minutes have passed.'' Foundas also called Wiseau ''a narcissist nonpareil whose movie makes Vincent Gallo's The Brown Bunny seem the apotheosis of cinematic self-restraint.''

Tommy Wiseau insists that he ''really doesn't know'' how the film fared at the box office on its initial release. However, one industry source states that the combined gross from the two-week run at two theaters — the Laemmle Fallbrook and Fairfax — was just $1,900. Michael Rousselet, a young screenwriter who seems to be Patient Zero of the film's cult, says he first caught the movie at an ''absolutely empty'' theater. ''It was like our own private Mystery Science Theater,'' he says. ''I was calling friends during the end and saying, 'You have to come to this movie.' We saw it four times in three days, and on the last day I had over 100 people there.'' Soon, screenings of The Room were thick with both laughter and cutlery. ''The spoon thing probably started during the fourth screening with my friends,'' says Rousselet. ''I was like, Why is there a spoon in the picture frame? Every time it came up, I'd scream 'Spoon!' So we brought spoons.''

Wiseau says that he received ''almost a hundred'' e-mails thanking him for the film. ''That's when I say, 'Let's just show The Room once a month, midnight screening,''' he explains.

Wiseau regularly attended these events and answered questions. Sometimes he recited Shakespearean sonnets. Wiseau released The Room on DVD in December 2005, and produced another, promotional, DVD that featured fans of the film at screenings praising the Room experience. And he continued to pay for the billboard, which, as the years passed, became a local landmark until Wiseau finally gave it up in the fall of 2008. ''People started coming up to me randomly in L.A. and saying, 'Were you in The Room?''' says Paris. She wasn't the only cast member to achieve a degree of fame thanks to the film. When Greg Sestero, who plays Mark, attended a screening a year after the movie's release, he says he was ''mobbed'' by fans. Juliette Danielle attended the second-anniversary screening and encountered fans dressed as her character. One even wore a prosthetic neck piece in homage to that scene in which it appears Lisa is about to endure a freakish compound fracture.

By the time the film's third anniversary rolled around, in 2006, word of The Room had spread through the comedy scene. ''I was at Paul Rudd's house a couple of years ago, and he said, 'You have to watch this,''' recalls Rudd's frequent collaborator and Role Models director David Wain. ''Within two minutes, I'm like, 'Okay, this is my favorite thing I've ever seen.' I've watched it over and over and over. We've had a lot of fun thinking which character we're going to play when we do our shot-for-shot remake.'' Rudd also showed the film to Veronica Marscreator Rob Thomas, who in turn recommended it to the show's star, Kristen Bell. ''I watched it in my trailer with my mouth agape the entire time,'' she recalls. ''I knew I would never be the same. We tried to reference it on Veronica Mars as much as possible.'' In one example, during a May 2007 episode of the show, a character mentions ''the new Rocky Horror,'' where ''people throw plastic spoons at the screen.''

David Cross became intrigued by The Room while filming the 2004-05 season of Arrested Development. ''Will Arnett and I would always see the billboard and be like, 'What the f--- is that thing?''' he says. ''Will Googled it, and then we would often watch the trailer.'' Soon, the pair were cracking each other up by repeating Wiseau's signature line: ''You are tearing me apart, Lisa!'' Then, at the 2005 Screen Actors Guild awards, Cross noticed a familiar figure. ''I was like, Holy s---, Tommy Wiseau's here!'' he says. ''I was kind of drunk, and kept following him. I was literally finding every excuse to be next to him wherever he was in the building. He was getting weirded out by me.'' Eventually Cross made the pilgrimage to see The Room itself. ''The idea of a participatory thing doesn't sound like fun to me,'' he says, ''but I really, really enjoyed it. It's not like there's one or two or three things that are bad about it. There are several hundred. I don't think Will ever saw it,'' Cross laughs. ''What a f---ing a--hole he is!''

Cross recommended the film to Eric Wareheim and Tim Heidecker, stars of the Cartoon Network's bizarre late-night sketch extravaganza Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!, who became similarly obsessed. And Rudd, Bell, and Hill practically transformed the set of last April's comedy Forgetting Sarah Marshall into a Room convention. (''Paul and Jonah and I were talking off set and Jonah kept snickering,'' says Bell. ''And I'm like, Am I being pranked? Finally, I look down, and Paul is wearing a silk-screen picture of Tommy Wiseau on his T-shirt.'') Meanwhile, Rudd and Wain conspired to slip Room references into Role Models. ''There were all sorts of ideas,'' says Wain. ''Like someone in the background going, 'You are tearing me apart, Lisa!' But Role Models was such a crazy process — we were kind of writing it as we were shooting — I don't know if any of them ended up in the movie.'' It seems like the comedy community is now divided into two camps: those who have fallen in love with The Room, and those who are about to. ''It's ridiculous that I haven't seen this,'' says Adam McKay, Will Ferrell's longtime writing partner, and the director of Anchorman. ''I've been told by a dozen people that I have to go. I've got to find the next showing.'' Wiseau's film has even become a verb. ''When we do a take, and it seems bad, a comment about The Room is often made,'' says Joe Lo Truglio, who played the jolly knight in Role Models, and is yet another fan of The Room. '''Dude, your heart was in the right place, but the acting wasn't. You Roomed it!'''

Wiseau followed up The Room with 2004's Homeless in America, a loose but rather moving documentary about the plight of Los Angeles street dwellers. ''I wanted to show people that this exists,'' he says, with such sincerity that you want to hug him. ''Because I myself did not know. My God!'' Wiseau is currently ''very, very busy'' working on a number of future projects, including a sitcom called The Neighbors, the pilot for which he has already shot. And his fame among comedians has started to pay dividends. Wiseau recently filmed a sketch for the next season of Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! ''He kind of took over the set,'' recalls star Wareheim. ''He would yell, 'Rolling! Sound! Speed! Action!' You could tell he had this feeling that he was a master of cinema.''

Meanwhile, the cult of The Room grows. Increasingly, the Laemmle Sunset 5 shows the movie on two screens, due to demand. Fans have begun to re-create scenes and post them on YouTube. Wiseau is mulling the possibility of turning the film into a Broadway musical and would like to dub it in French and Spanish for a possible European theatrical release. He also, ambitiously, wants to screen The Room at the Staples Center, which has a seating capacity of 20,000. ''We live in America. So everything is possible!'' he says.

Wiseau is mum about whether he will see any profit from the film, though it seems doubtful. According to one billboard industry expert, the signage on Highland probably cost in the region of $5,000 a month, comfortably more than the gross box office of the midnight screenings. And one source close to the production admits that the movie ''hasn't cleared expenses.'' Wiseau himself attests that he is ''an artist. I really don't like to talk about money.''

His secrecy has been key to the film's success. (As Wain puts it, ''Part of the fun is guessing: Who is this guy? Where is he from? Why did he shoot on a greenscreen instead of going up on a roof?'') His Ed Wood-like innocence and enthusiasm for moviemaking has helped as well: Rudd declined to talk about The Room for this article because he didn't want to ''mock somebody else's stuff.'' And Lo Truglio later got back in touch, concerned that he had been too harsh about Wiseau. ''It is a guilty pleasure in every sense of the word,'' he says of the movie.

Ultimately, it really doesn't matter whether the comedy in the film is intentional or accidental. Wiseau always planned for The Room to provoke a reaction and entertain, and it has certainly done both those things. And how many other independent filmmakers can claim to have entranced — and even influenced — such a roll call of comedic luminaries? ''Anything that I've seen that many times seeps into my subconscious,'' says David Wain. ''In the same way that Steve Martin or Woody Allen movies became part of my vocabulary, that's what happened with The Room. I'm laughing just thinking about it!''

The fact is that Wiseau has succeeded where so many big-screen hopefuls have failed. He has made his mark. True, it may not be quite the one he intended. But he has proved, without a doubt, that there is a place — that there is room — in Hollywood for Tommy Wiseau.

Don't Just Sit There...
Throw rice! Sing scales! A guide to the rare and rabid world of participatory film.

The Sound of Music (1965)
The L.A. hills are alive with the sound of you-know-what at the Hollywood Bowl's sing-along.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
The granddaddy of cult films — one that encourages reenactments, rice-throwing, and cross-dressing.

Showgirls (1995)
This much-reviled film got new life as a midnight movie in 1996: Audience choreography and mimicry of the camp dialogue ensued.

The Big Lebowski (1998)
Fans at vodka-fueled ''Lebowski Fest'' events dress in costumes both obvious (''The Dude'') and bizarre (a giant Creedence tape).

Laughs From Underground
From Jerry Lewis to an animated Jesus, a look at some other cult obsessions among comedians.

The Day the Clown Cried
In the '90s, comedian Patton Oswalt held readings of this infamously terrible Holocaust drama, until one of the producers sent a cease-and-desist order.

The Spirit of Christmas
Trey Parker and Matt Stone's short — commissioned by a Fox exec as an animated Xmas card — was a Hollywood hit and helped score a deal for South Park.

The Aristocrats
For years, comedians have amused themselves seeing who can tell the filthiest version of this joke, which was commemorated in the 2005 doc of the same name.

The Foot Fist Way
Will Ferrell loved this comedy so much that he helped it to get distribution. Fist fan Judd Apatow cast star Danny McBride in Pineapple Express.

Celebrity Fan Club
These comedic all-stars are just some of the Hollywood insiders who see genius in the badness of The Room:

Kristen Bell, Actress

David Wain, Director (Role Models)

Jonah Hill, Actor

David Cross, Actor-Comedian (Arrested Development)

Paul Rudd, Actor

Joe Lo Truglio, Actor (Role Models)

Tim Heidecker, Actor-Director (Tim and Eric Awesome Show, great job!)

Eric Wareheim, Actor-Director (Tim and Eric Awesome Show, great job!)

Mr. Wednesday
Member since Jun 06th 2005
776 posts
Tue Nov-10-09 02:52 PM

9. "I gotta see this."
In response to Reply # 0

Even out here in cultural fringes of Spokane, WA there's a weekly showing. It's on my list now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King." - Tom Waits

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/theprivateers_music.htm

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Nov-10-09 03:51 PM

10. "This is in the queue"
In response to Reply # 0

Is it still the same/similar watching it @ home without the communal feeling of a theater?

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Tue Nov-10-09 04:00 PM

11. "RE: This is in the queue"
In response to Reply # 10

>Is it still the same/similar watching it @ home without the
>communal feeling of a theater?

I'd imagine watching it for the first time with a crowd will cause you to miss out on lines since people would be reciting them which might some lines hard to make out if you don't know the lines ahead of time.

In my experience, watching it on DVD, the film was still all kinds of awesomely bad. Fun viewing. I wasn't sold on it until the first rooftop scene which may or may not be past the 15 minute mark. After that, shit just snowballed and I was won over.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Nov-11-09 11:31 AM

12. "dude, you made me dream last night that I went to the SF screening"
In response to Reply # 0

and I do blame you. Because if this post had been made by anyone else, I wouldn't have taken it so seriously, and therefore I wouldn't have dreamt about it.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Thu Nov-12-09 04:42 AM

15. "That's awesome."
In response to Reply # 12

What was the crowd doing? Most importantly, what were the thoughts running through your head in your dream?

The only way this can be topped is if you hear Tommy Wiseau's laugh or throw a football around with the movie's characters in a dream.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Nov-24-09 11:31 AM

17. "The dream is fading but here's all I remember"
In response to Reply # 15

The screening was at the Red Vic and everyone was on zabutons or blankets rather than in chairs. While waiting for the film to start, everyone was wandering in and out of the theatre, which is in the Haight, and there was a bicycle race.

That's all I remember.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Dae021
Member since Mar 12th 2003
39375 posts
Wed Nov-11-09 02:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "That truly is awesomely bad"
In response to Reply # 0

awesome

Get out the room,
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Situation Podemy love

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpres

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Wed Nov-11-09 02:22 PM

14. "Manos..."
In response to Reply # 0

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

DarkStar
Charter member
20015 posts
Tue Nov-24-09 04:57 AM

16. "Oh, it's on that level?"
In response to Reply # 14

Okay, I'm game...

*adds to queue*

da_illest_one
1761 posts
Tue Nov-24-09 01:19 PM

18. "I'm fed up with this world...."
In response to Reply # 16

You're just a chicken "chirppa chirppa chip chip"...

lmao...

On The Lookout 4:

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Tue Nov-24-09 02:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "cheep cheep cheep cheep"
In response to Reply # 18

Jason C
846 posts
Sun Nov-29-09 04:13 PM

20. "went last night (sunset5, LA)"
In response to Reply # 0

tommy told us that he was dressed as a vampire and wants to be a vampire, then bit the neck of a fanboy that was standing in line.

its my third time going. i can safely say that i'll never get sick of these screenings.

we should all get together sometime and head to the sunset5. ill bring the spoons.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Sun Nov-29-09 07:11 PM

21. "Watched this with a friend last night"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Nov-29-09 07:14 PM by Marauder21

Hoe. Lee. Shit.

It was everything I ever dreamed of and more.

So how's your sex life?

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Sun Nov-29-09 11:17 PM

22. "Want to play some football?"
In response to Reply # 21

*Walks three feet away from you, stands there, and tosses you the ball*

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Dec-03-09 10:16 AM

28. "WHAT KIND OF DRUGS DENNY?"
In response to Reply # 22

------

Drizzit
Member since Sep 19th 2002
6467 posts
Thu Dec-03-09 09:26 AM

26. "hold up ... OKPs can have friends? "
In response to Reply # 21

and since you have now witnessed the glory of the room, you need to subject yourself to the star wars holiday special.

life day demands to be recognized!

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Dec-03-09 10:16 AM

27. "I'll do it"
In response to Reply # 26

You got it on DVD? Bring a copy next time there's a reason to wear purple.

------

Drizzit
Member since Sep 19th 2002
6467 posts
Thu Dec-03-09 02:27 PM

29. "my brother's got a copy and i am seeing him this weekend. "
In response to Reply # 27

locked for AZ & Cincy, but after that?

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Dec-03-09 03:07 PM

30. "Whenever, the next Bears game is a Monday Nighter isn't it?"
In response to Reply # 29

------

BtotheC
Member since Jan 16th 2007
36 posts
Tue Dec-01-09 05:06 PM

23. "Need to check it out."
In response to Reply # 0

Don't know if they do any crazy screenings where I am though.

Another great bad movie is Troll 2. Not sure if it's on DVD though. If you can find it, it's hilariously bad.

www.yawma.net
Profits to the People - Independant Music and Games

da_illest_one
1761 posts
Tue Dec-01-09 05:40 PM

24. "Troll2 is on Hulu.com in it's entirety..."
In response to Reply # 23

I couldn't force myself to watch the whole film though. It just wasn't entertainingly bad as other cult classics...

On The Lookout 4:

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Mon Dec-24-18 09:42 AM

68. "I saw this"
In response to Reply # 23

>Another great bad movie is Troll 2. Not sure if it's on DVD
>though. If you can find it, it's hilariously bad.

as result of the Rifftrax channel on Twitch. What a glorious and genius cinematic experience. My mind was blown at that popcorn scene towards the end.

Also, the documentary about this flick is quite interesting as well, especially when the director for the movie gets on the screen. I believe it's called The Best Worst Movie and it's on Amazon Prime Video at the moment. I highly recommend any and all to watch this. Highly fascinating movie.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

ActWon
Member since May 01st 2007
3290 posts
Tue Dec-01-09 11:26 PM

25. "LMFAO I LOVE that movie. Adult Swim randomly showed it."
In response to Reply # 0

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Dec-16-09 08:14 AM

31. "tried to watch it...man, it's just bad in large parts"
In response to Reply # 0

like not laughably bad, but just bad. I couldnt finish it (made it to the second fight at the party ((why were there two fights when the same resolution and realization was made at the end of the first?))), and had to turn it off. Cleaning the catbox was more rewarding. The unintentional comedy winner of the whole thing is how progressively less attractive the chick in the movie got, and of course the overdub ands the creepy kid that lived in "the same building" (that first scene where he wants to watch them fuck? WTF happened to that creepy plot line?). Guys rule, women suck, etc...

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Fri Jan-08-10 07:52 AM

32. "FUCK THIS MOVIE IS AWFUL"
In response to Reply # 0

4 sex scenes in the first 27 minutes. They are all awkward and long as shit.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

RobOne4
56697 posts
Fri Jan-08-10 08:36 AM

34. "IS HE DEAD!!!"
In response to Reply # 32

as Tommy lies there like a newborn fucking baby god.

RobOne4
56697 posts
Fri Jan-08-10 08:37 AM

35. "MOTHER FUCKER *runs at Mark in slow motion*"
In response to Reply # 34

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Fri Jan-08-10 10:55 AM

36. "Tried to watch it with my girl"
In response to Reply # 32

the first 5 minutes (pre-first sex scene) she was like 'is this softcore?' then the sex scene...then her saying 'this IS softcore!' then the shot of Tommy's disgusting ass and her saying 'I'm done'.

I fastforwarded through the rest of the sex scenes; chick is NOT HOT and way too much unecessary dude-ass shots.

RobOne4
56697 posts
Fri Jan-08-10 05:07 PM

43. "yeah my wife was working out in the other room"
In response to Reply # 36

she was like is that a sex scene already? Then 4 minutes later when it was still going. IS IT STILL GOING!!!! I was like yeah and she aint even naked yet. WTF!

I loved it. I am going to watch it again this weekend.

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Fri Jan-08-10 08:32 AM

33. ""The Citizen Kane of Bad Movies" is Plan 9"
In response to Reply # 0

Ed Wood.

Even the Rifftrax commentary says this.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Fri Jan-08-10 11:09 AM

37. "i hate when cultural irony becomes profitable for talentless people"
In response to Reply # 0

i ain't seeing that shit and i damn sure ain't buying it. shit ain't THAT funny.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

thoughtprocess
Member since Nov 16th 2003
22223 posts
Fri Jan-08-10 01:25 PM

39. "i agreed with you until i saw the trailer and a couple scenes"
In response to Reply # 37

now i have to see this at some point. not urgently, but yeah.

and while they make a profit, i think they know why and are ashamed by that. in the interview i saw he looked embarrassed/ashamed as he stuck to his revisionist claim that it was intentionally a black comedy.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Fri Jan-08-10 02:16 PM

41. "they are never making the money back on this movie"
In response to Reply # 37

I don't see why anyone would buy this movie when it's available from Netflix and most indie video stores, and the midnight showings surely are theatrical at this point so not gaining box office. He spent $8 million on this turd. It will never make that much money back.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jan-08-10 05:19 PM

45. "Ehhh, the movie's like 9 bucks on Amazon"
In response to Reply # 41

I actually got my copy used, so Tommy didn't see any money from it.

------

Deluge
Charter member
64711 posts
Fri Jan-08-10 11:54 AM

38. "download links:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.rapidshareindex.com/The-Room-2003-_168625.html

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jan-08-10 02:06 PM

40. "So how's your sex life?"
In response to Reply # 0

------

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Fri Jan-08-10 02:20 PM

42. "Well, the results came back: I definitely have BREAST CANCER"
In response to Reply # 40

-Relax, mom, you're going to be alright

CURED

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jan-08-10 05:18 PM

44. "You have nice legs, Lisa"
In response to Reply # 42

------

Deluge
Charter member
64711 posts
Fri Jan-08-10 08:01 PM

46. "why do you wanna know my secret"
In response to Reply # 44

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Jan-13-10 05:07 PM

47. "Come on, play some football with us, what are you chicken? BLAKBLAKBLAKB..."
In response to Reply # 46

MisterBlunt
Member since Aug 21st 2002
1363 posts
Thu Apr-01-10 12:29 AM

48. "It's on adult swim right now."
In response to Reply # 0

wow.

Go Tigers

Raised under Reagan
Member since Oct 10th 2007
3789 posts
Thu Apr-01-10 02:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
50. "I feel high... watching this shit. The roof scene *dead*"
In response to Reply # 48

http://controversy.wearscience.com/img450/devil.gif

http://www.gifflix.com/files/a5ce6cf63c93.gif

cskncream
Member since Oct 19th 2004
1648 posts
Thu Apr-01-10 10:06 AM

52. "I was hoping someone would post this. I was just too tired."

Dear lord... it's even worse the second time around. The cuts to the Space Ghost interview in between were hilarious.

=============================
-sans sig

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Thu Apr-01-10 01:13 PM

53. "I caught a few minutes of this last night... dear god"

Who talks like that? Who acts like that?

WHO TOSSES A FOOTBALL LIKE THAT?

Yeah I may just have to rent this or peep out a screening somewhere. Profoundly, epically bad.

ErnestLee
Member since Mar 03rd 2003
28533 posts
Thu Apr-01-10 12:58 AM

49. "All it's cracked up to be and more"
In response to Reply # 0

Seriously. Watch. This. Movie.

---------------------------------------------------------

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Apr-01-10 08:16 AM

51. "Went to a midnight showing a couple weeks ago"
In response to Reply # 0

Definitely a good idea to see this on DVD first.

------

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Sat Apr-17-10 11:43 PM

54. "Lisas neck was wylin when she was drinkin wine with her girl"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Sat Apr-17-10 11:43 PM

55. "XYZ"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Nov-16-11 08:39 PM

56. "Just now watching this."
In response to Reply # 0

Good lord.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Nov-16-11 09:30 PM

57. "I expect the next podcast to have at least 20 minutes of Room discussion"
In response to Reply # 56

------

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Wed Nov-16-11 09:31 PM

58. "I don't even know what to say, really."
In response to Reply # 57

It's like... it says it all by itself.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Thu Nov-17-11 02:45 AM

60. "*cut to same shot of Wiseau's ass for the 12th time*"
In response to Reply # 58

RobOne4
56697 posts
Thu Nov-17-11 01:29 AM

59. "please tell me you aren't sober"
In response to Reply # 56

I watched it sober then drunk. Drunk is was even better.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Nov-17-11 07:38 AM

61. "I say your first time should be sober"
In response to Reply # 59

So that you can drunkenly yell the lines on all subsequent viewings.

------

THEdirtyone
Charter member
12088 posts
Thu Nov-17-11 12:04 PM

62. "I thought the Room was the shit.... "
In response to Reply # 0

but Samurai Cop is the Greatest Achievement in Film of all time.

Of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6gk04xzN3U

You know, we could all be reading a book right now.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Thu Nov-17-11 12:19 PM

63. "How Did This Get Made? did this this week"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Nov-17-11 12:20 PM by B9

One of my favorite podcasts, was even going to do a thread about it until this was upped. Well worth the listen; they have the guy who played Mark (who was also the Line Producer) on the show this week.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/the-room-directors-edition/

One little great gem to wet your appetite: The green screen rough top was shot OUTSIDE. So rather than film on an actual rough top, they opted for green screen but still shot it outside anyway.

Amazing.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Nov-17-11 12:48 PM

64. "Listening to it for the second time"
In response to Reply # 63

So much greatness in here. I can't believe they had two actors for everyone.

------

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Thu Nov-17-11 12:52 PM

65. "I can't believe that adlibing ISNT the excuse for some lines"
In response to Reply # 64

he was that much of a hardass about lines that he didn't allow adlibs? So "Me underwears" was in a script?

RobOne4
56697 posts
Fri Nov-18-11 12:29 PM

66. "good listen"

thanks for posting it

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Fri Nov-18-11 01:23 PM

67. "They've found their path with that one."

I really didn't care for the first few episodes, which never escalated past, "This was dumb! So was this!" They're analyzing and breaking down a bit more now, which leads to deeper comedy, and the Director's Editions in particular are simply outstanding. The Lexi Alexander episode is by far my favorite.

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Wed Dec-26-18 11:27 AM

69. "If you liked "The Room", and you like horror...check out "Things""
In response to Reply # 0

In my top 5 of bad movies

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0PEgUgM9f0

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

https://astackofwax.com/

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

The Greatest Story (N)ever Told (finished)

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=s

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #485124 Previous topic | Next topic