Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #471818

Subject: "Pennsylvania says no more to M. Night Shyamalan" Search result list | First match | Last match
m
Charter member
15756 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 08:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Pennsylvania says no more to M. Night Shyamalan"

PHILADELPHIA —

Pennsylvania's is sending the "Devil" heading for the hills.

The upcoming contender for worst movie of the year (helmed by M. Night Shyamalan) is moving production from Philadelphia north to Toronto.

Officials with the state film office say that they no longer want Shyamalan's films shot in Pennsylvania, as it damages the states reputation.

Shyamalan lives near the Philadelphia suburb of Malvern and has filmed eight of his nine movies in the region, including "The Sixth Sense," starring Bruce Willis.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
yea okay
Aug 25th 2009
come on, this is Basa level of misinformation
Aug 25th 2009
He should take his ass to Michigan
Aug 25th 2009
is that the new thing, because Mass recently implemented some
Aug 25th 2009
they've been doing it all over the country for years now
Aug 25th 2009
      They aren't exactly working for everyone though.
Aug 25th 2009
           didn't this come about because...
Aug 25th 2009
^^^^^^^^^
Aug 25th 2009
DETROIT!!! (c) Miyagi
Aug 25th 2009
cosign
Aug 26th 2009
Yup he should. Also, they broke ground on a new studio
Aug 28th 2009
i'm guessing this has something to do with you not liking me
Aug 25th 2009
aka pennsylvania puts manoj in dead slumdog storage
Aug 25th 2009
y'all really cysed to use "slumdog" as a 'cism shot at night dogg
Aug 25th 2009
      nigga, that shit is funny
Aug 25th 2009
           is it? there is no context. it's just like, "he indian...let's laugh"
Aug 26th 2009
                yeah it is, and the context was provided by you
Aug 26th 2009
                     Hollywood has a long tradition of made-up names.
Aug 26th 2009
                     and they're usually not as fucking retarded & pretentious as "M. Night"
Aug 26th 2009
                          Why is it pretentious? Was F. Scott Fitzgerald pretentious?
Aug 26th 2009
                               the fuck are you talking about?
Aug 26th 2009
                               dogg, it's 'cause he indian...they can be made fun of...
Aug 26th 2009
                                    Thank you Basa...you're alright with me.
Aug 26th 2009
                                         thanks, dogg
Aug 26th 2009
                                         cosign
Aug 27th 2009
                     i jone on QT in the context of his WORK. y'all take racial shots at m.n....
Aug 26th 2009
                          cmon.
Aug 26th 2009
                               RE: cmon.
Aug 26th 2009
                                    Cosign
Aug 26th 2009
                                    GODDAMN!!!! that was a solar flare!
Aug 26th 2009
                                    Its a lot of Jewish names on that list.....
Aug 28th 2009
                                    those italians, jews, indians are so pretentious
Aug 29th 2009
                                    Yep. That was the first thing I noticed.
Aug 30th 2009
                                    LOL @ these
Aug 31st 2009
                                    RE: cmon.
Aug 27th 2009
FLIM SPRINGFIELD
Aug 25th 2009
LOL
Aug 25th 2009
It's because the state of PA has no money
Aug 25th 2009
ummm no
Aug 25th 2009
Mumbai be making movies, why can't Pennsylvania do it?
Aug 25th 2009
lol
Aug 26th 2009
      ha, you remember that debate?
Aug 26th 2009
yeah,
Aug 26th 2009
damn these were all filmed in philly?
Aug 26th 2009
      yeah,
Aug 27th 2009
are there no Chuck E Cheese's in the Philly area?
Aug 29th 2009
Wow. Basa got motherfuckers praying on M.Night's downfall.
Aug 31st 2009

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 08:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "yea okay"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 09:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "come on, this is Basa level of misinformation"
In response to Reply # 0

It's because the state is broke as shit.

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/20090825_Backers_could_wait_no_longer_for_tax_credit_.html
Posted on Tue, Aug. 25, 2009

State budget impasse chases Shyamalan film to Canada
Backers could wait no longer for tax credit.
By Carrie Rickey

Inquirer Film Critic

It wasn't the Devil that made M. Night Shyamalan do it. It was the Harrisburg budget impasse.

With uncertainty about whether Pennsylvania's film tax credit will be authorized in the state budget - now in Day 56 of limbo - the supernatural thriller (which Shyamalan wrote and is producing) has relocated production to Toronto.

Though the filmmaker has shot eight of his nine features in the Philadelphia region - for an estimated economic impact of $375 million, according to the local film office - his backers couldn't wait any longer for legislators to approve the incentive that brings filmmaking and jobs to the state.

"Last week, at the 11th hour, Devil withdrew its application for credits because of uncertainty with respect to whether film tax credits would be in the state budget," Jane Saul, director of the Pennsylvania Film Office, said yesterday. "This is an obvious sign that without the film tax credit in place, we lose film business, and in turn, jobs."

Not only has the budget deadlock resulted in productions moving to regions with tax credits, "it has negatively affected our ability to attract new productions," said Sharon Pinkenson, executive director of the Greater Philadelphia Film Office.

One such film is Destination Home, a movie about a wealthy family that faces adversity during the economic downturn. "We were scheduled to begin shooting Sept. 16," producer Justin Moore Lewy said yesterday.

"We would like to shoot in Philadelphia. But a combination of the tax credit in jeopardy and union negotiations have left us in limbo." The production is scouting locations in Georgia, Louisiana and Toronto, where tax credits are assured.

According to an independent analysis released in May, during fiscal year 2007-08 the state's film tax credits led to $300 million in production dollars that Pennsylvania otherwise would not have seen, and to the creation of nearly 4,000 new jobs.

Without the film tax credit provision, there is the distinct possibility "that those workers will be collecting unemployment from the state of Pennsylvania rather than paying taxes to it," Pinkenson said.

Tim Galvin, who worked as art director on the movies Beloved, Philadelphia and Shadowboxer, moved from New York to Philadelphia for the creative opportunities.

"The film business is fluid, it will go where the incentives are reliable and that's exactly what's happening," he said in an e-mail yesterday. "The dispute in Harrisburg has just about killed the fall production season further delay will make for a cold, hard winter in Philly."

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 10:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "He should take his ass to Michigan"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not joking; the tax breaks there are unreal

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 11:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "is that the new thing, because Mass recently implemented some"
In response to Reply # 3

pretty substantial tax breaks too.

I wonder if alot of states are trying to do these now?

----

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6573 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 11:50 AM

7. "they've been doing it all over the country for years now"
In response to Reply # 4

new york
new orleans
miami
massachusetts
new mexico

i came to new york right after the one here passed. shit was BANANAS. they had to reel it in a quite a bit

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 03:24 PM

9. "They aren't exactly working for everyone though."
In response to Reply # 7

Massachusetts lost $95.5 million last year, and is on the hook for another $250 million over the next two years, because of film tax breaks. The Bay State also has to make good on up to $130 million in tax credits in the coming fiscal year, and $117 million in the next, at a time when the state is facing a revenue free fall. That's according to what the Boston Herald calls an "astonishing" report quietly released on the Bay State's Department Of Revenue web site just before the July 4th weekend. The film tax break program has delivered only 15 cents in revenues for each dollar the state gave away to moviemakers. And, of the $289 million in wages paid on the productions last year, only 18% went to local workers. Presently, Massachusetts is building a proposed $500M studio in Plymouth. But some lawmakers want to put a $2M cap on how much a movie star’s salary can be used toward the credit. The DOR study is the most comprehensive look at the local moviemaking since lawmakers expanded tax incentives for films in 2007. But there are accusations that the Bay State DOR report was so gloomy because it was authored by ex-New Yorker film commission folks who used to compete with the Massachusetts locales. This is a really cutthroat biz these days.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/massachusetts-says-film-tax-breaks-flop/

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

thoughtprocess
Member since Nov 16th 2003
22223 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 04:09 PM

11. "didn't this come about because..."
In response to Reply # 9

Mass. was embarrassed that the departed and other boston movies filmed most of their scenes elsewhere?

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 11:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "^^^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 3

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

mykonsept
Charter member
13567 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 06:29 PM

16. "DETROIT!!! (c) Miyagi"
In response to Reply # 3

guru0509
Charter member
45357 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 08:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
32. "cosign"
In response to Reply # 3

www.sepiamutiny.com

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Fri Aug-28-09 02:16 PM

41. "Yup he should. Also, they broke ground on a new studio"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri Aug-28-09 02:17 PM by nipsey

I hope they can sustain the film business. Some major films have shot here in the past year. Gran Torino, Drew Barrymore's Roller Derby movie, a movie with Sam Jack, another one with Terrence Howard is starting up soon, and a movie with Deniro.

http://detnews.com/article/20090827/METRO01/908270439/Groundbreaking-held-for-movie-studio-in-Allen-Park

Groundbreaking held for movie studio in Allen Park
Associated Press

Allen Park -- A new suburban Detroit movie studio is closer to becoming a reality.

A groundbreaking ceremony was held Thursday afternoon to mark the start of construction on the 104-acre complex in Allen Park.

The Unity Studios facility is scheduled to open in October, and its first project will begin filming in November.

Also in October, the Lifton Institute for Media Skills will open on site for its first class of 250 students who will be trained for jobs in the film industry.

Unity Studios is majority owned by a group of investors from Los Angeles and Michigan, including President Jimmy Lifton, a veteran Hollywood film executive.

XBOX Live Gamertag: slballer

Last 3 movies I saw:

District 9: B
Passing Strange: B+
Blindness: C

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 11:01 AM

5. "i'm guessing this has something to do with you not liking me"
In response to Reply # 0

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 01:33 PM

8. "aka pennsylvania puts manoj in dead slumdog storage"
In response to Reply # 0

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Basaglia
49463 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 05:03 PM

13. "y'all really cysed to use "slumdog" as a 'cism shot at night dogg"
In response to Reply # 8

that is some meathead ass "bro" shit right there. shit, we know he indian.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 05:23 PM

14. "nigga, that shit is funny"
In response to Reply # 13

cry about it.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Basaglia
49463 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 07:49 AM

19. "is it? there is no context. it's just like, "he indian...let's laugh""
In response to Reply # 14
Wed Aug-26-09 07:58 AM by Basaglia

i understand most of the "laughter" is an obligatory, and petty, shot aimed at me, but that shit be falling flat. y'all be typin' "manoj" and shit like it's an insult, when it's really just his name, an indian name. that shit is just as wack as right wing nuts insisting on calling obama "hussein."

"dead slumdog storage" is just fuzzy zoeller telling tiger not to ask for fried chicken and collard green for his celebration dinner...i just sorta did a double take like "the fuck? where that come from?"

i know this tarantanko vs. m. night shit done got niggas hot now, because dudes can't think of anything else to get at night dogg with other than silly racist taunts. all that because grindhouse flopped and y'all got scared...GOOD!

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 03:26 PM

21. "yeah it is, and the context was provided by you"
In response to Reply # 19
Wed Aug-26-09 03:28 PM by 40thStreetBlack

it's just a funny response to this whole ridiculous night dogg vs tarantanko rivalry that YOU manufactured, and now you getting mad about it? FOH

>i understand most of the "laughter" is an obligatory, and
>petty, shot aimed at me, but that shit be falling flat. y'all
>be typin' "manoj" and shit like it's an insult, when it's
>really just his name, an indian name. that shit is just as
>wack as right wing nuts insisting on calling obama "hussein."

nope, cuz barack don't call himself m. night obama to hide from his real name. I'm not insulting manoj for having an indian name, I'm insulting him for creating a preposterously pretentious made up name for himself and calling himself that instead of his actual name - THAT shit is wack & I'ma laugh at him for it.

and I fucking hated grindhouse & was glad that shit bombed. shit was worst than signs + almost as bad as the Village.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 03:30 PM

22. "Hollywood has a long tradition of made-up names."
In response to Reply # 21

Hate on whoever you want, but that's a silly reason to do it. Half the stars of Hollywood don't use their real names.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 03:35 PM

24. "and they're usually not as fucking retarded & pretentious as "M. Night""
In response to Reply # 22

>Hate on whoever you want, but that's a silly reason to do it.
>Half the stars of Hollywood don't use their real names.

he made up that name for himself in college.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 03:56 PM

25. "Why is it pretentious? Was F. Scott Fitzgerald pretentious? "
In response to Reply # 24
Wed Aug-26-09 03:57 PM by CaptNish

Is J.J. Abrahms?

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 04:41 PM

27. "the fuck are you talking about?"
In response to Reply # 25

Fitzgerald's middle name was Scott. Abrams' initials are J.J. Manoj's middle name is not "Night."

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Basaglia
49463 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 04:42 PM

28. "dogg, it's 'cause he indian...they can be made fun of..."
In response to Reply # 25

you see indian accents and stereotypical indian characters all throughout the industry. no one pays any attention to it.

indians, samoans and all them other "kinda, sorta" nationalities and ethnicities be gettin fried on the low.

guru0509
Charter member
45357 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 08:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
33. "Thank you Basa...you're alright with me."
In response to Reply # 28

>you see indian accents and stereotypical indian characters
>all throughout the industry. no one pays any attention to it.
>
>
>indians, samoans and all them other "kinda, sorta"
>nationalities and ethnicities be gettin fried on the low.

www.sepiamutiny.com

Basaglia
49463 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 10:02 PM

36. "thanks, dogg"
In response to Reply # 33

brown sugar
Member since Jan 22nd 2005
4536 posts
Thu Aug-27-09 01:07 AM

39. "cosign"
In response to Reply # 33

<-- BAUGH SO HARD

Basaglia
49463 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 04:55 PM

29. "i jone on QT in the context of his WORK. y'all take racial shots at m.n...."
In response to Reply # 21

>it's just a funny response to this whole ridiculous night
>dogg vs tarantanko rivalry that YOU manufactured, and now you
>getting mad about it? FOH

nah, i ain't getting made about it NOW...i been said something almost two years ago with lady in the water. that shit turned racial. niggas was hatin on his name. and now that "slumdog" is part on the lexicon, that somehow pertains to HIM? nah, dogg, i ain't making shit up.

>>i understand most of the "laughter" is an obligatory, and
>>petty, shot aimed at me, but that shit be falling flat.
>y'all
>>be typin' "manoj" and shit like it's an insult, when it's
>>really just his name, an indian name. that shit is just as
>>wack as right wing nuts insisting on calling obama
>"hussein."
>
>nope, cuz barack don't call himself m. night obama to hide
>from his real name.

but, he gets mad when people mention his middle name in a negative way.

>I'm not insulting manoj for having an
>indian name, I'm insulting him for creating a preposterously
>pretentious made up name for himself and calling himself that
>instead of his actual name - THAT shit is wack & I'ma laugh at
>him for it.

nah, it's 'cause he indian. you're tryna make up reasons to justify when you think his name is funny in and of itself, but you're failing. if he was ashamed of being indian, he'd have dropped the last name, too.

>and I fucking hated grindhouse & was glad that shit bombed.
>shit was worst than signs + almost as bad as the Village.

no 'bers though

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 06:26 PM

30. "cmon."
In response to Reply # 29

dead slumdog storage was funny. nope, it was - after years of you pushing your night-dogg vs tarantino feud on here that shit was hilarious & you know it. just because there's a racial component to the joke don't make it racist, and you know that too.

>nah, i ain't getting made about it NOW...i been said something
>almost two years ago with lady in the water. that shit turned
>racial. niggas was hatin on his name.

niggas was hating on his pretentious made up name... so?

>>nope, cuz barack don't call himself m. night obama to hide
>>from his real name.
>
>but, he gets mad when people mention his middle name in a
>negative way.

because they do it to cast aspersions on him as a terrorist - not even remotely similar dude.

>nah, it's 'cause he indian. you're tryna make up reasons to
>justify when you think his name is funny in and of itself, but
>you're failing. if he was ashamed of being indian, he'd have
>dropped the last name, too.

nah, it's cuz he named himself 'Night' which I think is ridiculous. and I didn't say he did it cuz he was ashamed of being indian, I said he was being pretentious. you're trying to make up reasons to claim it's racial, but you're just mad.

>>and I fucking hated grindhouse & was glad that shit bombed.
>>shit was worst than signs + almost as bad as the Village.
>
>no 'bers though

I just said I hated it + was glad it bombed, so... good?

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Basaglia
49463 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 07:41 PM

31. "RE: cmon."
In response to Reply # 30

>dead slumdog storage was funny.

maybe if it had caught me off guard, but there's been too many racial jokes made about dude to catch with the element of surprise. that's why i said it just kinda fell flat with me. more than anything i was disappointed.

just because there's a
>racial component to the joke don't make it racist,

see, that's where we just differ. why does there HAVE to be a racial component to it? it's not like QT, who blatantly injects race in his work. and i don't even go at QT on racial shit. i mean, i go at him for suspect portrayals of blacks and dialogue aimed at black in his work, but i don't make fun of him for being white. i make fun of brett favre for being white. or nash. night dogg is completely race-neutral, so to get at him in racial terms seems malicious and uncreative. it's just shooting for the LCD.

>niggas was hating on his pretentious made up name... so?

dogg, you already got called out on other peoples' made up names. you don't say shit about them. all these white stars running around with made up names and y'all going in on the indian guy. like, damn, can indian folks have industry names, too? let's be real, from a marketing stand point, he got a long ass fuckin name. nobody wanna say all that shit. so, what does it matter if he chose night or "pluck" or "hump" or "test" for his middle name? he needed something short/mono-syllabic to link up with his long last name. if you wanna say that pretentious to shield yourself from the truth (you're being racist), go right ahead. you just made because "night" sounds fuckin cool. shit, call him m. "sex" shyalaman, nigga.

>>>nope, cuz barack don't call himself m. night obama to hide
>>>from his real name.
>>
>>but, he gets mad when people mention his middle name in a
>>negative way.
>
>because they do it to cast aspersions on him as a terrorist -
>not even remotely similar dude.

it's very similar, actually. american have a low tolerance for foreign sounding names, terrorism or not. most can't tell the difference been an arab name and an indian name. so, if m. night had come out putting his whole fuckin name up there, he wouldn't have gotten very far. shit, look at mindy kaling...is SHE being pretentious by shortening up her foreign ass sounding name? nigga, you getting fried here. take the L and keep it moving.

>nah, it's cuz he named himself 'Night' which I think is
>ridiculous.

i dunno what kinda life you've lived, but it's pretty common for a person to let people call them something they can actually pronounce. i'm sorry "night" sounds so fucking cool that it annoys you. but, nigga, ain't nobody gonna pick something wack if they go through the trouble of making up a new name to sub for an unpronouncable one.

and I didn't say he did it cuz he was ashamed of
>being indian, I said he was being pretentious. you're trying
>to make up reasons to claim it's racial, but you're just mad.

i don't have to make up reasons why it's racial. it's there for all to see.

>I just said I hated it + was glad it bombed, so... good?

it bombed. you mad. you chose the wrong side in this war, dogg. avatar gonna come out and engulf all this hate like a big ass solar flare.

guru0509
Charter member
45357 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 09:09 PM

34. "Cosign"
In response to Reply # 31

>dogg, you already got called out on other peoples' made up
>names. you don't say shit about them. all these white stars
>running around with made up names and y'all going in on the
>indian guy. like, damn, can indian folks have industry names,
>too? let's be real, from a marketing stand point, he got a
>long ass fuckin name. nobody wanna say all that shit. so, what
>does it matter if he chose night or "pluck" or "hump" or
>"test" for his middle name? he needed something
>short/mono-syllabic to link up with his long last name. if you
>wanna say that pretentious to shield yourself from the truth
>(you're being racist), go right ahead. you just made because
>"night" sounds fuckin cool. shit, call him m. "sex" shyalaman,
>nigga.
>

Alan Dale (Aldo Sigismondi)

Albert Brooks (Albert Lawrence Einstein)

Alex Lifeson (Alexander Zivojinovich)

Alla Nazimova (Mariam Edez Adelaida Leventon)

Alpha Blondy (Seydou Kon)

Anne Bancroft (Anna Maria Italiano)

Ashley Judd (Ashley Tyler Ciminella)

Bela Lugosi (Be'la Ferenc Dezso Blasko)

Betty Hutton (Elizabeth June Thornburg)

Bob Hope (Leslie Townes Hope)

Boris Karloff (William Henry Pratt)

Buddy Clark (Samuel Goldberg)

Burt Holiday (Bonaldo Bonaldi)

Carole Lombard (Jane Alice Peters)

Cary Grant (Archibald Alexander Leach)

Catherine Deneuve (Catherine Dorlac)

Cathy Carr (Angelina Helen Catherine Cordovano)

Charlie Sheen (Carlos Irwin Estevez)

Charlton Heston (John Charles Carter)

Cher (Cherilyn Sarkisian)

Cozy Powell (Colin Flooks)

Damia (Marie-Louise Damien)

David Seville (Ross Bagdasarian)

Dean Martin (Dino Crocetti)

Dean Ween (Mickey Melchiondo)

Del Shannon (Charles Weedon Westover)

Diane Keaton (Diane Hall)

Dirk Bogarde (Derek van den Bogaerde)

Doris Day (Doris Mary Ann Von Kappelhoff)

Duane Allman (Howard Duange Allman)

Elvis Costello (Declan Patrick Aloysius McManus)

Eric Morecambe (John Eric Bartholemew)

Ernest Borgnine (Ermes Effron Borgnino)

Ernie Wise (Ernest Wiseman)

Franz Welser-Mst (Franz Mst)

Fred Astaire (Frederick Austerlitz)

Fredric March (Ernest Frederick McIntyre Bickel)

Gale Storm (Josephine Owaissa Cottle)

Geddy Lee (Gary Lee Weinrib)

Gene Simmons (Chaim Witz)

Gene Wilder (Jerome Silberman)

Gene Ween (Aaron Freeman)

Ginger Rogers (Virginia Katherine McMath)

Gogi Grant (Myrtle Audrey Arinsberg)

Greta Garbo (Greta Lovisa Gustafsson)

Gribouille (Marie-France Gat)

Groucho Marx (Julius Henry Marx)

Harry Houdini (Ehrich Weiss)

Hedy Lamarr (Hedwig Eva Maria Kiesler)

Heino (Heinz Georg Kramm)

Henry Rollins (Henry Garfield)

Jamie Foxx (Eric Bishop)

Janet Leigh (Jeanette Helen Morrison)

Jayne Mansfield (Vera Jayne Palmer)

Jean Harlow (Harlean Carpentier)

Jean-Claude Van Damme (Jean-Claude Camille Francois Van Vaerenbergh)

Jennifer Jones (Phyllis Lee Isley)

Jacques Lu Cont (Stuart Price)

Jill Corey (Norma Jean Speranza)

Joan Crawford (Lucille Fay LeSueur)

Joan Fontaine (Joan de Beauvoir de Havilland)

John Ford (Sean Aloysius O'Fearna)

John Denver (Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr.)

John Wayne (Marion Michael Morrison)

Johnny Desmond (Giovanni Alfredo De Simone)

Jon Stewart (Jonathon Leibowitz)

Joni James (Joan Carmella Babbo|Joan (or Giovanna) Carmella Babbo)

Judy Garland (Frances Gumm)

Judy Holliday (Judith Tuvim)

Kirk Douglas (Issur Danielovitch Demsky)

Lale Andersen (Liese-Lotte Helene Berta Bunnenberg)

Lauren Bacall (Betty Joan Perske)

Lionel Barrymore (Lionel Herbert Blythe)

Marilyn Monroe (Norma Jean Mortenson, later Norma Jean Baker)

Marion Hutton (Marion Thornburg)

Marni Nixon (Marni McEathron)

Martin Sheen (Ramon Gerardo Antonio Estvez)

Mary Astor (Lucile Vasconcellos Langhanke)

Mary Ford (Colleen Summers)

Mary Pickford (Gladys Smith)

Meg Ryan (Margaret Mary Emily Ann Hyra)

Mel Brooks (Melvin Kaminsky)

Michael Keaton (Michael John Douglas)

Michael Caine (Maurice Micklewhite)

Mike Dirnt (Michael Pritchard)

Natalie Portman (Natalie Hershlag)

Natalie Wood (Natalia Nikolaevna Zakharenko)

Nico (Christa Pffgen)

Patti Page (Clara Ann Fowler)

Paul Muni (Meshilem Meier Weisenfreud)

Paul Stanley (Stanley Harvey Eisen)

Richard Clapton (Terry Gonk)

Robert Gant (Robert Gonzalez)

Rock Hudson (Roy Harold Scherer Jr.)

Roger Vadim (Roger Vladimir Plemiannikov)

Ronnie Gaylord (Ronald L. Fredianelli)

Ronnie James Dio (Ronald Padavona)

Serge Gainsbourg (Lucien Ginzburg)

Shirley Strachan (Graeme Strachan)

Simone Signoret (Simone Kaminker)

Sophia Loren (Sofia Villani Scicolone)

Spike Jonze (Adam Spiegel)

Stanley Donwood (Dan Rickwood)

Stevie Wonder (Steveland Morris)

Stewart Granger (Stewart Granger|James Stewart)

Susan Hayward (Edythe Marrenner)

Susan Sarandon (Susan Abigail Tomalin)

Timea Margot (Tmea Vgvlgyi)

Tom Cruise (Thomas Cruise Mapother IV)

Toni Arden (Antoinette Ardizzone)

Tony Curtis (Bernard Schwartz)

Tony Martin (Alvin Morris)

Tori Amos (Myra Ellen Amos)

Vic Reeves (Jim Moir)

Victor Borge (Borge Rosenbaum)

Vivien Leigh (Vivian Mary Hartley)

William Holden (William Franklin Beedle Jr.)

Wilhelm Fink (Billie Joe Armstrong)

Willy DeVille
Winona Ryder (Winona Laura Horowitz)

Woody Allen (Allen Stewart Konigsberg)

He isn't the first Indian to do it either..shit Ben Kingsley's real name is Krishna Pandit Bhanji

www.sepiamutiny.com

Basaglia
49463 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 09:47 PM

35. "GODDAMN!!!! that was a solar flare!"
In response to Reply # 34

KCPlayer21
Charter member
30076 posts
Fri Aug-28-09 09:57 PM

42. "Its a lot of Jewish names on that list....."

Italians too.....

AZ
Charter member
12930 posts
Sat Aug-29-09 06:03 PM

44. "those italians, jews, indians are so pretentious"
In response to Reply # 42
Sat Aug-29-09 06:03 PM by AZ

and so are their parents for not giving them proper WASPy names

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Sun Aug-30-09 12:23 PM

45. "Yep. That was the first thing I noticed."
In response to Reply # 42

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

JAESCOTT777
Member since Feb 18th 2006
28487 posts
Mon Aug-31-09 12:31 PM

46. "LOL @ these "

Martin Sheen (Ramon Gerardo Antonio Estvez)
^^LOL

Spike Jonze (Adam Spiegel)
Gene Wilder (Jerome Silberman)
John Wayne (Marion Michael Morrison)

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Thu Aug-27-09 12:09 AM

38. "RE: cmon."
In response to Reply # 31

>maybe if it had caught me off guard, but there's been too many
>racial jokes made about dude to catch with the element of
>surprise.

too many racial jokes? that was the first joke about him that referenced his race.

> that's why i said it just kinda fell flat with me.
>more than anything i was disappointed.

nah, you was just salty cuz dem basterds is a hit and it threw a snag in your night-dogg vs. tarantino crusade.

>just because there's a
>>racial component to the joke don't make it racist,
>
>see, that's where we just differ. why does there HAVE to be a
>racial component to it?

there doesn't HAVE to be a racial component, but it makes that particular joke funny. why is it there CAN'T be a racial component to it though?

>it's not like QT, who blatantly
>injects race in his work. and i don't even go at QT on racial
>shit. i mean, i go at him for suspect portrayals of blacks and
>dialogue aimed at black in his work, but i don't make fun of
>him for being white. i make fun of brett favre for being
>white. or nash. night dogg is completely race-neutral, so to
>get at him in racial terms seems malicious and uncreative.
>it's just shooting for the LCD.

it wasn't malicious or uncreative at all. you crying wolf here, doggie.

>>niggas was hating on his pretentious made up name... so?
>
>dogg, you already got called out on other peoples' made up
>names. you don't say shit about them. all these white stars

uh, those weren't made up names, it was their own middle names and initials - the fuck is y'all talking about?

>running around with made up names and y'all going in on the
>indian guy. like, damn, can indian folks have industry names,
>too? let's be real, from a marketing stand point, he got a
>long ass fuckin name. nobody wanna say all that shit. so, what
>does it matter if he chose night or "pluck" or "hump" or
>"test" for his middle name? he needed something
>short/mono-syllabic to link up with his long last name. if you
>wanna say that pretentious to shield yourself from the truth
>(you're being racist), go right ahead. you just made because
>"night" sounds fuckin cool. shit, call him m. "sex" shyalaman,
>nigga.

nigga, he gave himself that name IN COLLEGE, not when a hollywood agent was trying to come up with a marketable name for him. and yeah calling yourself "Night" is fucking pretentious.

>it's very similar, actually. american have a low tolerance for
>foreign sounding names, terrorism or not. most can't tell the
>difference been an arab name and an indian name. so, if m.

it's very similar to implying Obama is a terrorist? FOH

>wouldn't have gotten very far. shit, look at mindy kaling...is
>SHE being pretentious by shortening up her foreign ass
>sounding name? nigga, you getting fried here. take the L and
>keep it moving.

nope, cuz she ain't name herself 'Mist' or some dumb pretentious shit like night-dogg did.

>i dunno what kinda life you've lived, but it's pretty common
>for a person to let people call them something they can
>actually pronounce.

I know that better than you would. but he ain't "let" people call him that because they couldn't pronounce his name, he made that shit up in college + called himself that cuz he wanted to make himself sound mysterious and enigmatic. and manoj is hardly an unpronounceable name either.

i'm sorry "night" sounds so fucking cool
>that it annoys you. but, nigga, ain't nobody gonna pick
>something wack if they go through the trouble of making up a
>new name to sub for an unpronouncable one.

calling yourself "night" is fucking corny, and manoj is far from unpronounceable.

> and I didn't say he did it cuz he was ashamed of
>>being indian, I said he was being pretentious. you're trying
>>to make up reasons to claim it's racial, but you're just
>mad.
>
>i don't have to make up reasons why it's racial. it's there
>for all to see.

whatever nigga.

>>I just said I hated it + was glad it bombed, so... good?
>
>it bombed. you mad. you chose the wrong side in this war,
>dogg. avatar gonna come out and engulf all this hate like a
>big ass solar flare.

never made me mad, it only made me glad, cuz that shit was terrible. and I ain't chose any side in your made-up wag the dog war, I just find manoj and his recent movies to be ridiculous and have fun laughing at them + him.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

tappenzee
Member since Sep 28th 2002
19839 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 03:43 PM

10. "FLIM SPRINGFIELD"
In response to Reply # 0

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 04:30 PM

12. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 10

>

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 05:35 PM

15. "It's because the state of PA has no money"
In response to Reply # 0

Pennsylvania, as of a couple years ago, was offering major tax incentives to studios and film companies to shoot in PA (in general), and Philly (in particular). But due to the economy collapsing, and the state having no budget to speak of, they pulled that program.
That's why you notice a large number of films getting shot in PA/Philly. Besides the Shymalan movies, the new Jamie Foxx movie, Transformers 1 and 2, Marley And Me, another Jennifer Aniston movie, The Answer Man, and five or six others.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

Shelly
Charter member
15886 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 08:07 PM

17. "ummm no"
In response to Reply # 15

the state has money, the problem is the budget hasn't been passed and the state can not make any payments until the budget is passed.

Shit happens

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Tue Aug-25-09 08:34 PM

18. "Mumbai be making movies, why can't Pennsylvania do it?"
In response to Reply # 17
Tue Aug-25-09 08:34 PM by 40thStreetBlack

hmmmmmm....

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

thoughtprocess
Member since Nov 16th 2003
22223 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 08:03 AM

20. "lol"
In response to Reply # 18

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 03:30 PM

23. "ha, you remember that debate?"
In response to Reply # 20

bollywood be laughing at that broad.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Wordman
11224 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 04:19 PM

26. "yeah,"
In response to Reply # 17

the state has decided it's going to cut its tax incentive program for movies. Every version of the budget on the table eliminates this program. 'Cause cats ain't got no money.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Wed Aug-26-09 10:39 PM

37. "damn these were all filmed in philly?"
In response to Reply # 15

> the new Jamie Foxx
>movie, Transformers 1 and 2, Marley And Me, another Jennifer
>Aniston movie, The Answer Man, and five or six others.

~~~~~~

Wordman
11224 posts
Thu Aug-27-09 09:27 PM

40. "yeah, "
In response to Reply # 37

something like 12-15 films in the 3 years.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18387 posts
Sat Aug-29-09 04:00 PM

43. "are there no Chuck E Cheese's in the Philly area?"
In response to Reply # 0

I always thought it was weird that in Sixth Sense, the scene where they're at the kid's birthday party and all the moms are standing around and one of the moms mentions that this party is better than Chuck E Cheese's or something like that. Then another mom says "what's Chuck E Cheese's?" and the kid who sees dead people's mom explains what Chucke E Cheese's is. How do you have children and not know what Chuck E Cheese's is? The only thing I could figure out is that maybe for some reason they don't exist in that part of the country. I didn't know it was the Philadelphia area though, I'd find that hard to believe there's no Chuck E Cheese's there. That mom who didn't know is probably just a shit mother. I feel bad for her deprived son or daughter

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Mon Aug-31-09 01:04 PM

47. "Wow. Basa got motherfuckers praying on M.Night's downfall. "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Aug-31-09 01:10 PM by Orbit_Established

Niggas are such homos.

Unbelievable

Cats who would otherwise have NO opinion on M. Night
now making racist jokes and hating for no reason.

I mean, wow.

No Okayplayer has ever made me HATE anything MORE.

I log on with my hate already tucked in the small
of my back, no Plaxic-o.

Y'all are seriously a bunch of lemmings. Any old thing
sways your opinion on shit and you just follow along.

Wow.

----------------------------

O_E: Your Super-Ego's Favorite Poster.

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "Cosmic Slop"

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #471818Search result list | First match | Last match