Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #467317

Subject: "Did the Sopranos usher in a new Golden Age of Television?" Previous topic | Next topic
k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 12:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Did the Sopranos usher in a new Golden Age of Television?"

"The Sopranos launched a golden age in American TV--Deadwood, The Wire, The Shield...you know the drill" from http://www.thehousenextdooronline.com/2008/08/mad-men-mondays-season-two-episode-3.html

^^This is just an off hand comment in that post (RIP to the author), but do you guys think it's true?

It wasn't Oz?

one
k. orr

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
was OZ before the sopranos?
Aug 06th 2009
was as popular as the sopranos?
Aug 06th 2009
Not what I'm saying
Aug 06th 2009
      but i don't think Oz influnced TV to step its game up
Aug 06th 2009
           ^^^what I was sayin
Aug 06th 2009
           Goof point
Aug 06th 2009
           But did non-cable TV step its game up after The Sopranos?
Aug 06th 2009
           i don't watch enough non cable shows to answer that one
Aug 06th 2009
           They tried, and in some cases, failed
Aug 06th 2009
           not to cop pleas, but Network TV has it's hands tied by the FCC.
Aug 06th 2009
                I think that's a weak excuse.
Aug 06th 2009
                They did.
Aug 08th 2009
                homicide was pretty gritty
Aug 06th 2009
           David Simon sited it as an influence on The Wire n/m
Aug 07th 2009
I think Oz was the precursor to this age of television...
Aug 06th 2009
maybe in a "Soap Opera for Men" sorta way?
Aug 06th 2009
and again, I present to you all the term: Male-odrama
Aug 07th 2009
well fuck me sideways, you beat me to it.
Aug 08th 2009
yes.
Aug 06th 2009
It was the most influential in the new cable era.
Aug 06th 2009
break down these
Aug 06th 2009
      Not sure what you mean
Aug 06th 2009
      I thought you were making an argument about "ground breaking"
Aug 06th 2009
      The Sopranos was really the first show to ask its audience to alternatel...
Aug 06th 2009
Also I think it's difficult to call this a golden age when Network TV
Aug 06th 2009
I don't know if its fair to call network tv shitty in 2009
Aug 07th 2009
Perhaps I was being a bit hyperbolic...
Aug 07th 2009
Lost is actually that golden age winding down.
Aug 08th 2009
I think it has a lot to with selling shows on DVD too
Aug 07th 2009
I would think that The Office had a lot to do with that as well.
Aug 07th 2009
      you wanna know something weird?
Aug 08th 2009
oz-sopranos as supreme clientele-blueprint. and soap operas.
Aug 08th 2009

debo40oz
Member since Apr 16th 2003
4081 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 12:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "was OZ before the sopranos?"
In response to Reply # 0

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 12:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "was as popular as the sopranos?"
In response to Reply # 1

debo40oz
4081 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 01:35 PM

5. "Not what I'm saying"
In response to Reply # 2

It was just the first HBO programming that I remember watching and hearing a buzz about. Obviously Sopranos was a superior show but the first season or two of OZ was definately good television.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38830 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 03:49 PM

7. "but i don't think Oz influnced TV to step its game up"
In response to Reply # 5

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 03:50 PM

8. "^^^what I was sayin"
In response to Reply # 7

debo40oz
4081 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 06:40 PM

14. "Goof point"
In response to Reply # 8

But alot of the actors ended up main characters on other shows so while it might not of directly influence them the networks were watching

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44731 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 04:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "But did non-cable TV step its game up after The Sopranos?"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu Aug-06-09 04:09 PM by mrhood75

**Yeah, I know that's not what you were implying here, but work with me***

It's pretty much given that HBO, Showtime, FX, AMC, USA, etc. stepped it's game up after the Sopranos, but it's not like network TV is really doing anything special/different in the post-Sopranos universe. I mean, good network shows have come along since the Sopranos premiered, but none are really radically different than anything else that was already out there.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Mynoriti
Charter member
38830 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 05:24 PM

10. "i don't watch enough non cable shows to answer that one"
In response to Reply # 9

in fact Lost and Friday Night Lights are only ones i can think of. i didn't even start catching up on those until last year when hbo withdrawals kicked in.

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 06:49 PM

15. "They tried, and in some cases, failed"
In response to Reply # 9
Thu Aug-06-09 06:52 PM by ZooTown74

And not in a specific, "let's copy The Sopranos and cast a bad guy as a lead character!" way, either...

All you need to know why the networks failed to produce shows of a consistent quality like The Sopranos is when, during one of the Television Critics meetings, (I believe it was) Jeff Zucker who copped the plea that The Sopranos was so well-regarded only because they could get away with cussing and showing tits while the network shows couldn't... as if the quality writing and acting had nothing to do with the show's success...

The folks at USA Network (Monk, Psych, Burn Notice) and FX (The Shield, Nip/Tuck, Damages) seem to understand that, like The Sopranos and other such shows, good television is mainly about having *compelling characters* (first and foremost) in compelling stories that are worth watching... that's the part of the formula that took a while for the networks to (re)figure out... they didn't have to "do anything radical" at all...

And in some cases, such as The Shield, other networks *did* nick The Sopranos by having a compelling and complex anti-hero as the lead character...

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 09:00 PM

17. "not to cop pleas, but Network TV has it's hands tied by the FCC."
In response to Reply # 9

we can't even see an "Accidental" titty on Live TV, so how can they write gritty shit without making it seem lame?

Even when they do and leave the adult content out for the DVD release ( see also: NBC's "Kingpin"), it still looks contrived. I saw the DVD of Kingpin and not the TV version, and I can see where they were writing gratuitous (violence and nudity )parts in just to keep pace with Cable. And it seemed VERY stilted.

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 09:20 PM

18. "I think that's a weak excuse."
In response to Reply # 17

Especially with stuff like The Shield and Damages on FX which has some FCC limitations. They could have figured out a way to make Dexter or Six Feet Under or countless other show suitable for network air. Even Sopranos could have been pretty damn good. They could tone down the nudity and language without losing much from True Blood (and that's a show that might be even benefit from commercial breaks since it's built to have constant "What'll happen next?!" moments.)

The networks are just poorly run right now.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Sat Aug-08-09 09:52 AM

32. "They did."
In response to Reply # 18

> They could have figured out a way to
>make Dexter suitable
>for network air.

They did. "Dexter" was on CBS for a hot minute. I didn't watch the edited version, but it WAS on regular TV...

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 11:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "homicide was pretty gritty"
In response to Reply # 17

Key
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2715 posts
Fri Aug-07-09 11:50 PM

27. "David Simon sited it as an influence on The Wire n/m"
In response to Reply # 7

_

Lardlad95
Member since Jul 31st 2002
66340 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 11:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "I think Oz was the precursor to this age of television..."
In response to Reply # 1

It had its problems, but I think it allowed HBO to see what direction they could potentially head in.

The Sopranos got the formula right, Oz was the prototype. Kinda like all those black soldiers they tested the super soldier serum on before they made Captain America.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one"-Anonymous

The sharpest sword is a word spoken in wrath;the deadliest poison is covetousness;the fiercest fire is hatred; the darkest night is ignorance.-The Buddha

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 01:12 PM

3. "maybe in a "Soap Opera for Men" sorta way?"
In response to Reply # 0

Duval Spit
Member since Jan 21st 2009
3355 posts
Fri Aug-07-09 02:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "and again, I present to you all the term: Male-odrama"
In response to Reply # 3

A term I coined after watching 300.

<----

Larry Otis!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeM89CITvMc

and his free new singles, produced by Tough Junkie!
http://soundcloud.com/toughjunkie/sets/larry-otis-leaks

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44919 posts
Sat Aug-08-09 01:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
30. "well fuck me sideways, you beat me to it. "
In response to Reply # 3

i agree though, obviously.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Orfeo_Negro
Member since Oct 24th 2004
20923 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 01:14 PM

4. "yes."
In response to Reply # 0

"Do you know what a nerd is? A nerd is a human being without enough Africa in him or her." © Brian Eno, "A Year With Swollen Appendices"

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 02:01 PM

6. "It was the most influential in the new cable era."
In response to Reply # 0

But some of the guys who influenced that era made their names in 1993-1994 boon years for networks: NYPD Blue, Northern Exposure, ER, Homicide, Frasier, Friends, etc.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 06:10 PM

11. "break down these"
In response to Reply # 6

> Northern Exposure,
> Frasier
> Friends, etc.

I'm honestly not sure what the Sopranos did on either an artistic level or a commercial level.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 06:31 PM

12. "Not sure what you mean"
In response to Reply # 11

Northern Exposure and I'll Fly Away were produced by David Chase and they probably helped him.

Friends definitely influenced the 20-something sit-coms that you see today. Frasier was just a great sit-com and helped bring back the office sit-com.

----

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 07:11 PM

16. "I thought you were making an argument about "ground breaking""
In response to Reply # 12

>Northern Exposure and I'll Fly Away were produced by David
>Chase and they probably helped him.
>
>Friends definitely influenced the 20-something sit-coms that
>you see today. Frasier was just a great sit-com and helped
>bring back the office sit-com.

Which is I think what folks mean when they talk about the Sopranos. I don't think those 3 "changed the game" so to speak.

one
k. orr

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 06:39 PM

13. "The Sopranos was really the first show to ask its audience to alternatel..."
In response to Reply # 11
Thu Aug-06-09 06:43 PM by ZooTown74

root for and cheer against its protagonist; it literally gave you insight into the mindset of the anti-hero, helped you find empathy in his story, identify with his pathos (pass the latte), and also implicitly (and sometimes explicitly) make you question why you liked this guy in the first place...

Oz didn't do any of that, it wasn't nearly as complex, so therefore it's not seen as being as groundbreaking...

And as good as those first two or three seasons of Oz were, they weren't as *consistently* as good and well-written as The Sopranos were over the entire run of the show...

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Thu Aug-06-09 11:49 PM

21. "Also I think it's difficult to call this a golden age when Network TV"
In response to Reply # 0

is so shitty, reality TV is dominating the airwaves, and while there are some good new shows out there (Hung, nurse jackie), overall the premium networks don't have heavy hitters like the Sopranos or The Wire or Dead Wood at the moment.

I mean maybe it is a golden era and we're just in an in between year...but I'm not that impressed with the state of TV at the moment.

Also...fuck Trueblood...

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one"-Anonymous

The sharpest sword is a word spoken in wrath;the deadliest poison is covetousness;the fiercest fire is hatred; the darkest night is ignorance.-The Buddha

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Aug-07-09 07:22 AM

23. "I don't know if its fair to call network tv shitty in 2009"
In response to Reply # 21
Fri Aug-07-09 07:22 AM by BigReg

Mediocre maybe. Imho, drama's overall are as strong as I have ever seen them on network tv, and you have some very solid well written sitcoms to balance out the reality tv invasion.

>is so shitty, reality TV is dominating the airwaves, and
>while there are some good new shows out there (Hung, nurse
>jackie), overall the premium networks don't have heavy hitters
>like the Sopranos or The Wire or Dead Wood at the moment.
>
>I mean maybe it is a golden era and we're just in an in
>between year...but I'm not that impressed with the state of TV
>at the moment.
>
>Also...fuck Trueblood...
>
>
>
>"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better
>than master of one"-Anonymous
>
>
>The sharpest sword is a word spoken in wrath;the deadliest
>poison is covetousness;the fiercest fire is hatred; the
>darkest night is ignorance.-The Buddha

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Fri Aug-07-09 07:57 AM

24. "Perhaps I was being a bit hyperbolic..."
In response to Reply # 23
Fri Aug-07-09 07:57 AM by Lardlad95

Still, overall I was pretty unimpressed with network TV this past season. Even the shows I like kinda felt like they were falling flat.

Cold Truth
44919 posts
Sat Aug-08-09 01:39 AM

29. "Lost is actually that golden age winding down. "
In response to Reply # 21

when taht show ends, the era ends with it.

oz, sopranos, the wire, the shield, deadwood (so i hear), lost, etc represent that "golden age". we are no longer in that age, and some shows from that are on the way out. golden age is a past tense, though it wasn't technically used that way./

-Sig-

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Big Chief Rumbletummy
Member since Jan 31st 2006
2005 posts
Fri Aug-07-09 10:14 AM

25. "I think it has a lot to with selling shows on DVD too"
In response to Reply # 0

As much as I love the Sopranos (y'all are aware that I like the show, right...I mean I think I've been pretty clear on that) I think creators are trying to make season long films with the thought that people will be checking for this show with their wallets.

©

Act trife, I'll let my dog cold fuck your wife

Duval Spit
Member since Jan 21st 2009
3355 posts
Fri Aug-07-09 11:29 PM

26. "I would think that The Office had a lot to do with that as well."
In response to Reply # 25

<----

Larry Otis!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeM89CITvMc

and his free new singles, produced by Tough Junkie!
http://soundcloud.com/toughjunkie/sets/larry-otis-leaks

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Sat Aug-08-09 09:51 AM

31. "you wanna know something weird?"
In response to Reply # 26

I own every season of "The Office" ( both NBC and BBC ), and believe it or not, I haven't really watched them.

I watched S2 of the NBC version, and I watched the entire run of the BBC version once. But the rest of them are unopened. Like, still in the shrinkwrap, even.

In retrospect, I don't think that's a series that needs to be watched over and over. It's definitely one of my favorite shows, but not to the point where I'd watch it again and again, like "The Wire".

And now that the NBC version is going into syndication, I REALLY feel stupid.

*should've bought all the seasons of "Rescue Me" instead*

Cold Truth
44919 posts
Sat Aug-08-09 01:36 AM

28. "oz-sopranos as supreme clientele-blueprint. and soap operas. "
In response to Reply # 0

oz is the gritty, grimey, unpolished forerunne; it laid the foundation.

sopranos took many of the bare elements that made oz the show it was, spit shined the formula and made it work for the masses. at the end of the day it really was the sopranos that served as the true catalyst for the direction tv has gone in since.... but in the same vein as the blueprint, it owes a portion of its dynamic to its more underground predecessor.

when people were doing the sped up soul music, most of them were imitating kanye and just blaze, while that duo imitated ayatollah, alchemist, mathematics, rza, and co.

oz laid the groundwork for the show that laid the groundwork, if that makes sense. that isn't to say that many shows wouldn't exist- but the sopranos did tv in such a way that it engaged viewers like a soap would.

so truthfully, they are both simply taking basic soap opera formulas and building grittier, darker worlds using the same skeleton.

-Sig-

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #467317 Previous topic | Next topic