Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #464998

Subject: "tell me I'm not the only one looking forward to Shutter Island" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Mon Jul-27-09 11:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"tell me I'm not the only one looking forward to Shutter Island"

Scorcese directing.
Leo vs. Kingsley.
Here's the trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdumGs1qoXM

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: tell me I'm not the only one looking forward to Shutter Island
Jul 28th 2009
Interested but not looking forward to.
Jul 28th 2009
I'm interested but not looking forward to it as well...
Jul 28th 2009
agree completely.
Aug 22nd 2009
Agreed
Aug 28th 2009
I'm looking more forward to Inception
Jul 28th 2009
^
Aug 21st 2009
I am because a chunk of this was filmed in my home town
Jul 28th 2009
RE: I am because a chunk of this was filmed in my home town
Feb 07th 2010
Moved to February 19, 2010 (swipe)
Aug 21st 2009
Shuttered Island (and is this good or bad news for Star Trek?)
Aug 21st 2009
Had no idea the pic is already on people's Oscar list
Aug 21st 2009
it's oscar bait mostly because of the names attached
Aug 21st 2009
initially shocked, but makes sense
Aug 21st 2009
Brad Grey cops pleas regarding the move (swipe)
Aug 22nd 2009
      you can expect "the economy excuse" for the next 3 years
Aug 24th 2009
This is the least I've looked forward to a Scorsese flick in a long time
Aug 21st 2009
stupid
Aug 22nd 2009
can I play Longo and spoil the obvious ending of this movie?
Aug 22nd 2009
lol.
Aug 23rd 2009
RE: can I play Longo and spoil the obvious ending of this movie?
Aug 27th 2009
Finished the book; unless it's changed it in the movie, the answer is
Sep 15th 2009
that makes me feel better
Sep 15th 2009
No, you damn fool. Kingsley is NOT 67. I know who it is. (MAYBE SPOILER)
Feb 07th 2010
I'm actually VERY interested.
Aug 28th 2009
RE: tell me I'm not the only one looking forward to Shutter Island
Aug 28th 2009
Reading the book now
Aug 28th 2009
If this wasn't a Scorcese joint, I would have zero interest.
Aug 29th 2009
how come nobody been talking about this?
Feb 06th 2010

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8621 posts
Tue Jul-28-09 09:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: tell me I'm not the only one looking forward to Shutter Island"
In response to Reply # 0

I with you. Scorsese and Leo are back.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Tue Jul-28-09 09:49 AM

2. "Interested but not looking forward to."
In response to Reply # 0

It looks like a pretty standard horror movie and from what I've heard about the book, it's pulpy. It'll be interesting to see what a talented group can do with it but I'm not convinced that it's going to be anything but your standard thriller.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Midtown Records
Member since Sep 29th 2006
4776 posts
Tue Jul-28-09 11:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I'm interested but not looking forward to it as well..."
In response to Reply # 2

But not for the same reasons that you mentioned.

Lamentations 3:26
It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.

PimpMacula
Member since Dec 19th 2006
12972 posts
Sat Aug-22-09 05:54 PM

15. "agree completely. "
In response to Reply # 2
Sat Aug-22-09 06:05 PM by PimpMacula

seems like a redundant horror flick from the previews. i'll probably see it, but my expectations will be low.

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Fri Aug-28-09 08:15 PM

23. "Agreed"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm hoping the trailer is just to get ppl in the seats and not a reflection of the actual film. Scorsese has done straight studio pictures (Colour of Money and The Aviator) and has done studio pictures with his own style to it (Cape Fear, Bringing Out The Dead). Although neither kind are his best kind of work, I really hope it's the later and that Scorsese isn't going to coast through the rest of his career. Although it's hard to be considered cutting edge or even current when you've past your peak, ppl like Robert Altman, Akira Kurosawa and Werner Herzog have all demonstrated you can still make great films well into your career.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Jul-28-09 11:15 AM

3. "I'm looking more forward to Inception"
In response to Reply # 0

FortifiedLive
Member since Dec 26th 2006
9984 posts
Fri Aug-21-09 01:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "^"
In response to Reply # 3

<<progressions.

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Tue Jul-28-09 12:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I am because a chunk of this was filmed in my home town"
In response to Reply # 0

although I'd still be anticipating it anyway...

----

Big O
Member since Apr 30th 2007
980 posts
Sun Feb-07-10 03:53 PM

29. "RE: I am because a chunk of this was filmed in my home town"
In response to Reply # 5

Are you from Taunton, too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcANFVcJeOM

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Fri Aug-21-09 01:06 PM

6. "Moved to February 19, 2010 (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Aug-21-09 10:37 PM by ZooTown74

GOOD! Gives me time to read the novel...

deadlinehollywooddaily.com:

>SHOCKER! Paramount Moves Scorsese's 'Shutter Island' To February 19, 2010

EXCLUSIVE: This Shutter Island decision is now the second major studio pic to jump from fall 2009 to February 2010 (after Universal's The Wolfman recently moved off November). But Paramount's adaptation of the Dennis Lehane novel directed by Marty Scorsese and starring Leonardo DiCaprio looked entrenched for October 2nd and this coming awards season.

For godsakes, the pic is already on people's Oscar list. Such a surprise delay is just going to compound all the buzz surrounding the picture and its great trailer released in June. An insider tells me. "It tested in the high 80s/low 90s and Scorsese even brought it down to 2 hours."

So what's the problem? I hear that Paramount told the filmmakers it doesn't have the financing in 2009 to spend the $50M to $60M necessary to market a big awards pic like this. ("Given where the DVD business is in 2009, our only hope is the economy and the retail business rebounds in 2010 because the hardest hit segment has been movies that play to an older adult audince," a studio source tells me.)

So the studio settled on the release date of mid-February because "that's when Silence Of The Lambs came out" back in 1991 and it won the Oscar. "Now that the Academy has Best Picture to 10 films," an insider notes to me, "it will be easier for a movie that came out in the beginning of the year to get nominated for Best Picture."

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Fri Aug-21-09 02:08 PM

8. "Shuttered Island (and is this good or bad news for Star Trek?)"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri Aug-21-09 02:37 PM by SoulHonky

This is probably the best move for the film. It really didn't seem like an Oscar bait type film.

EDIT: Just blogged about this on the ol' soulhonky.com but Paramount doesn't really have an Oscar contender. They are doing the Lovely Bones with Dreamworks and I'm not sure what else they have. Then again, if they don't have the money to support Marty, would they really spend it on JJ Abrams?

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Aug-21-09 02:30 PM

9. "Had no idea the pic is already on people's Oscar list"
In response to Reply # 6

Not really my cup of tea

Wordman
11224 posts
Fri Aug-21-09 07:39 PM

12. "it's oscar bait mostly because of the names attached"
In response to Reply # 9

Marty and Leo. It's good material, the book is solid, but this isn't exactly the kind of flick that gets oscars.
The last one that did was Anthony Hopkins for Silence Of The Lambs, which makes the move to february all the more smart.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

Wordman
11224 posts
Fri Aug-21-09 07:36 PM

11. "initially shocked, but makes sense"
In response to Reply # 6

that lets you know how sad this year's oscar field looks when this has a serious shot at winning something. Not that a Marty/Leo film wouldn't be oscar bait, it just doesn't seem like the kind of flick that would take.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Sat Aug-22-09 04:17 PM

14. "Brad Grey cops pleas regarding the move (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 6

deadlinehollywooddaily.com:

>UPDATE 4:30PM: Paramount Chief Brad Grey has now released a statement: "Our 2009 slate was greenlit in a very different economic climate and as a result we must remain flexible and willing to recalibrate and adapt to a changing environment. This is a situation facing every single studio as we all work through the financial pressures associated with the broader downturn. Like every business, we must make difficult choices to maximize our overall success and to best manage Paramount’s business in a way that serves Viacom and its shareholders, while providing the film with every possible chance to succeed both creatively and financially.

"Leonardo DiCaprio is among the most talented actors working today and Martin Scorsese is not just one of the world's most significant filmmakers, but also a personal friend. Following a highly successful 2009, we have every confidence that Shutter Island is a great anchor to lead off our 2010 slate and the shift in date is the best decision for the film, the studio and ultimately Viacom."

Wordman
11224 posts
Mon Aug-24-09 10:25 PM

18. "you can expect "the economy excuse" for the next 3 years"
In response to Reply # 14

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Aug-21-09 03:03 PM

10. "This is the least I've looked forward to a Scorsese flick in a long time"
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe since Bringing Out The Dead (which wasn't a bad film at all.)

I'll still see it, but I'm cautious.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

dunk
Member since Aug 05th 2006
8024 posts
Sat Aug-22-09 12:06 AM

13. "stupid"
In response to Reply # 0

why would you push this back? out of all the other movies they pick a leo, scorsese pic that damn near everyone wanted to see before the trailer even dropped. plus this is way more accessable than any of their previous projects and they got a track record of stacking up oscars noms every-timef their movies drops . i don't feel like waiting an extra couple of months.

Duval Spit
Member since Jan 21st 2009
3355 posts
Sat Aug-22-09 08:03 PM

16. "can I play Longo and spoil the obvious ending of this movie?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ben Kingsley is 67.

I mean CMON.

<----

Larry Otis!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeM89CITvMc

and his free new singles, produced by Tough Junkie!
http://soundcloud.com/toughjunkie/sets/larry-otis-leaks

ansomble
Member since Nov 30th 2005
33508 posts
Sun Aug-23-09 03:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "lol."
In response to Reply # 16

The movie looks boring.

☺☻

"i'm doing good, can i put my face in your buttcrack?" (c) P.Inf

"frankly, I think it's foolish to have a cat or a baby, but whatever" (c) veritas

@kingofthings

rdhull
Charter member
33145 posts
Thu Aug-27-09 10:12 PM

19. "RE: can I play Longo and spoil the obvious ending of this movie?"

>...
>
>
>...
>
>
>...
>
>...
>
>
>...
>
>
>...
>
>
>...
>
>
>...
>
>Ben Kingsley is 67.
>
>I mean CMON.

idea of The Ninth Configuration eh?

"Hi"-(c)Joker

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Tue Sep-15-09 12:09 PM

25. "Finished the book; unless it's changed it in the movie, the answer is"

NOPE!

The twist in the book is actually... um... pretty interesting. I want to see how the film handles it.

And no, I'm not going to spoil it, even if people start trying to guess what it is...

Duval Spit
Member since Jan 21st 2009
3355 posts
Tue Sep-15-09 08:04 PM

26. "that makes me feel better"
In response to Reply # 25

but I will fully assume that they do change the end until I see otherwise.
if I see this at all.

<----

Larry Otis!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeM89CITvMc

and his free new singles, produced by Tough Junkie!
http://soundcloud.com/toughjunkie/sets/larry-otis-leaks

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86679 posts
Sun Feb-07-10 02:08 AM

28. "No, you damn fool. Kingsley is NOT 67. I know who it is. (MAYBE SPOILER)"

I haven't seen it. But I have a very sneaking suspicion that #67 is...

.... Leo himself. BAM!

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Fri Aug-28-09 02:37 PM

20. "I'm actually VERY interested."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not usually a fan of Marty's, but I'm curious to see what he can do w/something that's so far outta his lane.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

deacon
Charter member
3284 posts
Fri Aug-28-09 02:48 PM

21. "RE: tell me I'm not the only one looking forward to Shutter Island"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm actually looking forward to this a well, I was a little disappointed when the release date was pushed back.

Sites that I contribute to:

http://www.livefrommemphis.com

http://www.geeksofdoom.com

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Aug-28-09 04:17 PM

22. "Reading the book now"
In response to Reply # 0

Anfernee
Member since Nov 11th 2004
24780 posts
Sat Aug-29-09 08:36 PM

24. "If this wasn't a Scorcese joint, I would have zero interest."
In response to Reply # 0

In fact, after seeing the trailer, I actually have zero interest.

http://www.angryasianman.com

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Sat Feb-06-10 11:36 PM

27. "how come nobody been talking about this? "
In response to Reply # 0

Or am I missing something?

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #464998 Previous topic | Next topic