Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #461379

Subject: "MacGruber: The Movie. Yes, this is real. (swipe)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 05:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"MacGruber: The Movie. Yes, this is real. (swipe)"

I'm one of the few on this board (I think) who think Forte is legitimately hilarious in a very off-the-beaten-path sort of way. While I think a Falconer movie would have been a better idea for an SNL Forte vehicle, let's cross our fingers hard that this doesn't massively suck. (Val Kilmer co-starring is pretty hilarious though.)

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118005755.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

'SNL' spies opportunity
Forte's MacGruber headed for the bigscreen
By DAVE MCNARY

Will Forte's bumbling spy MacGruber is headed for the bigscreen as the latest in a long line of "Saturday Night Live" characters to make that transition.
"SNL's" Kristen Wiig will reprise her Vicki character for the feature. Val Kilmer and Ryan Phillippe are in talks to join the cast.

Forte -- who will return to "SNL" in the fall -- debuted the parody of the 1980s action-adventure series "MacGyver" in 2007. He'll co-write with "SNL's" Jorma Taccone and John Solomon; the logline's being kept under wraps. Taccone will direct.

Relativity Media topper Ryan Kavanaugh, Lorne Michaels and John Goldwyn are producing the project, which will begin shooting next month. Relativity's Tucker Tooley will exec produce along with Erin David and "SNL" head writer Seth Meyers.

"MacGruber" will be distributed under Relativity's Rogue banner, which utilizes Universal distribution.

Forte stars in Endgame's upcoming "A Good Old Fashioned Orgy."

"SNL" honcho Michaels has produced more than half a dozen features that transitioned show characters to the bigscreen including "Wayne's World," "The Ladies Man," "Coneheads," "Superstar," "Stuart Saves His Family" and "A Night at the Roxbury."

Forte and Taccone are represented by UTA and Mosaic. Wiig’s repped by UTA and Odenkirk Provissiero Entertainment.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm speechless.
Jul 08th 2009
They can't even do the recurring gag!
Jul 08th 2009
my boy emailed me this:
Jul 08th 2009
LOL
Jul 08th 2009
lol
Jul 08th 2009
lol!
Jul 09th 2009
lol
Jul 09th 2009
Meyers and Forte need to be stabbed.
Jul 08th 2009
Whoa whoa whoa. Come on, Forte is WAY funnier than Meyers.
Jul 08th 2009
      No shit. *I'm* funnier than Meyers
Jul 08th 2009
I don't see how it will work.
Jul 08th 2009
If that means Jorma had anything to do with the sketches
Jul 08th 2009
      Meh. I like the sketches. lol
Jul 08th 2009
I can't even get through the sketches.
Jul 08th 2009
The problem with SNL movies is extending the sketch
Jul 08th 2009
plus the sketches no longer have an ending
Jul 09th 2009
+1
Jul 09th 2009
I completely agree that Forte is hilarious
Jul 08th 2009
This will be the movie Get Smart should have been*
Jul 08th 2009
I want a Gilly movie.
Jul 08th 2009
Retarded...
Jul 09th 2009
I dunno about this...
Jul 09th 2009
I thought the one minute sketches got played out LONG ago.
Jul 09th 2009
Can he diffuse the bomb that this movie will be? Me doubts it.
Jul 09th 2009
MacGruber, there's 87 minutes left in this movie!!!
Jul 09th 2009
      LOL
Jul 09th 2009
I've heard insanely good htings about the movie
Jan 18th 2010
Forte was funny in The Slammin Salmon but can he carry a movie?
Jan 19th 2010
      Here's the dude I know's exact quote:
Jan 19th 2010
           Those aren't the only two good SNL movies
Jan 20th 2010

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 05:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm speechless."
In response to Reply # 0

I mean, I think the sketches are usually quite funny, but I can't imagine a full length movie version though.

Lorne seems to be willing to bankroll anybody from his show who wants to make a movie about anything...I mean, most of the SNL spinoffs have been pretty awful movies, even if alot of them were pretty funny at the same time...

----

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 05:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "They can't even do the recurring gag!"
In response to Reply # 0

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Jay Doz
Member since Dec 13th 2005
8663 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 07:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "my boy emailed me this:"
In response to Reply # 0

MacGruber! Making unnecessary adaptations of second-tier sketches.
MacGruber! Paying Will Forte less than what it costs for the catering.
MacGruber! It might just break even. MacGruber!!!

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

kurlyswirl
Member since Jul 13th 2002
16693 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 07:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 3

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 08:47 PM

9. "lol"
In response to Reply # 3

MST 3K: Gumby in: Robot Rumpus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M4_XZ3FLHw

Batman gettin' hoeslapped

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8ie37mgxIXA/Sjbtwgo9CgI/AAAAAAAAFqM/xJQjVqPd2As/S1600-R/DRUNKEN+ABUSIVE+SUPERMAN.JPG

cskncream
Member since Oct 19th 2004
1648 posts
Thu Jul-09-09 10:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "lol!"
In response to Reply # 3

=============================
-sans sig

thoughtprocess
Member since Nov 16th 2003
22223 posts
Thu Jul-09-09 10:25 AM

20. "lol"
In response to Reply # 3

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18759 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 07:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Meyers and Forte need to be stabbed."
In response to Reply # 0

and either Lorne's losing his fucking mind, or Pepsi paid him a gang of cash for the Super Bowl commercials. Then again, the guy did also produce a Pat movie at one point.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 09:22 PM

11. "Whoa whoa whoa. Come on, Forte is WAY funnier than Meyers."
In response to Reply # 5

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

magilla vanilla
18759 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 09:30 PM

12. "No shit. *I'm* funnier than Meyers"
In response to Reply # 11

and I'm just some douchebag on a message board.

Forte's OK in very, very small doses. For example, he did make the "Punching People Before Eating" and "Extreme Challenge" digital shorts. But not carrying a sketch, and certainly not carrying an entire fucking movie. But he deserves a lot of shit for this for a) concocting MacGruber in the first place, b) continuing the sketch well past its sell-by date, and c) agreeing to make it a movie. The paycheck won't matter, because I can guaran-god-damn-tee that this will open lower than It's Pat without adjusting for today's dollar value and ticket prices, and he likely won't get anywhere near top billing again.

kurlyswirl
16693 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 07:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I don't see how it will work."
In response to Reply # 0

But Jorma Taccone is one of The Lonely Island dudes, so maybe it'll turn out okay.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"I predict...................Nadal will embarrass dudes" - Deebot

http://www.facebook.com/kurlyswirl

I be Scrobblin': http://www.last.fm/user/TasteeTreat/

magilla vanilla
18759 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 07:39 PM

7. "If that means Jorma had anything to do with the sketches"
In response to Reply # 6

he needs to be stabbed too. The only thing worse would be a Target Lady or Penelope movie.

kurlyswirl
16693 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 10:12 PM

14. "Meh. I like the sketches. lol"
In response to Reply # 7

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"I predict...................Nadal will embarrass dudes" - Deebot

http://www.facebook.com/kurlyswirl

I be Scrobblin': http://www.last.fm/user/TasteeTreat/

WaxLablTabler
Charter member
16329 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 08:16 PM

8. "I can't even get through the sketches."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-08-09 08:17 PM by WaxLablTabler

be Good.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2n8vg29.png
(by a guy named Wes Whaley http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/8779317/Light-paintings-by-Wes-Whaley.html )

magilla vanilla
18759 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 08:50 PM

10. "The problem with SNL movies is extending the sketch"
In response to Reply # 8

and those are usually 8-12 minute recurring sketches. The average MacGruber is a minute at the longest. I really don't know how they could possibly make a movie out of that bullshit. Or who the fuck would go see it.

thoughtprocess
22223 posts
Thu Jul-09-09 10:29 AM

21. "plus the sketches no longer have an ending"
In response to Reply # 10

it doesn't necessarily have to end on a punchline, but it's a bad sign that almost NONE of them end on a punchline. also, it's pretty obvious when a sketch rambles on at the end while getting quieter and then you throw up the applause sign.

OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Thu Jul-09-09 01:49 PM

26. "+1"
In response to Reply # 8

Reunion Radio July Artist of the Month: Michael Jackson

http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/

adam
Member since Jul 15th 2006
2188 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 09:36 PM

13. "I completely agree that Forte is hilarious"
In response to Reply # 0

He and Hader are easily my favorite current cast members. I was happy to read Forte will be back next season. He's been on awhile now, and I feel like they didn't give him too much to do last year, so I thought there was a chance he wouldn't be back.

An entire McGruber movie, though? I don't know about that. In all honesty, I'll probably see it should it come out just because I find Forte so funny.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 10:35 PM

15. "This will be the movie Get Smart should have been*"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-08-09 10:36 PM by SoulHonky

I could definitely see them crafting a solid 90 minute send-up of action movies. They'll have to widen the scope of the sketch but that's what they always do with these films.

* Whether they'll be able to do it successfully is another issue but having the Lonely Island guys involved will be a push in the right direction IMO. Really, the only issue I have with this is Meyers' involvement.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 11:59 PM

16. "I want a Gilly movie."
In response to Reply # 0

As for MACGRUBER... I knew it was coming. Lorne has been talking about the property's movie viability for quite some time now. I think they can make it work if they just shoot for making a straight up MacGyver spoof. And Jorma cowriting & directing definitely has my interest piqued. I'm not anticipating anything great here, but I'm not gonna hate until I see some footage of what they're shooting for.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Thu Jul-09-09 08:45 AM

17. "Retarded..."
In response to Reply # 0

I can't even stand looking at that guy's face...

cskncream
Member since Oct 19th 2004
1648 posts
Thu Jul-09-09 10:05 AM

19. "I dunno about this..."
In response to Reply # 0

None of the MacGruber sketches made me audibly laugh like the one with Shia. The rest were just okay. A whole movie though?

=============================
-sans sig

thoughtprocess
22223 posts
Thu Jul-09-09 10:32 AM

22. "I thought the one minute sketches got played out LONG ago."
In response to Reply # 0

but a movie???

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Jul-09-09 11:33 AM

23. "Can he diffuse the bomb that this movie will be? Me doubts it."
In response to Reply # 0

magilla vanilla
18759 posts
Thu Jul-09-09 12:52 PM

24. "MacGruber, there's 87 minutes left in this movie!!!"
In response to Reply # 23

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (continues for 86 minutes)

*bomb goes off*

MACGRUBER!

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Thu Jul-09-09 01:09 PM

25. "LOL "
In response to Reply # 24
Thu Jul-09-09 01:09 PM by 40thStreetBlack

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

CaptNish
14495 posts
Mon Jan-18-10 08:22 AM

27. "I've heard insanely good htings about the movie"
In response to Reply # 0

Few peeps I know caught a test screening. Say it's the 2010 comedy to beat, and one of the best SNL films.

_

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Jan-19-10 01:48 PM

28. "Forte was funny in The Slammin Salmon but can he carry a movie?"
In response to Reply # 27

Guess will find out soon enough

CaptNish
14495 posts
Tue Jan-19-10 02:07 PM

29. "Here's the dude I know's exact quote:"
In response to Reply # 28

"It's pretty high up there. Probably third behind Wayne's World and Blues Brothers. It's funnier than Blues Brothers but not a better movie. And of course it's better than Coneheads even though I like Coneheads just fine."

_

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 08:58 AM

30. "Those aren't the only two good SNL movies"
In response to Reply # 29

Waynes World 2, The Ladies Man and Stuart Saves His Family are all decent to good flicks, not the pile of shit that the Coneheads was.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #461379 Previous topic | Next topic