Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #460376

Subject: "So "Daria" is finally fucking being released on dvd...WOO!" Previous topic | Next topic
Delaney
Charter member
19644 posts
Fri Jul-03-09 09:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"So "Daria" is finally fucking being released on dvd...WOO!"

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Daria-DVDs-Planned/12236

"I find the situation unbelievable myself." - Daria

Whenever registered members log on here, there's a "User Stats" screen that shows up, telling you TV Show names, DVD Release listings, and News Items have been posted since your last log-in. It gives a lot of other info on that page, too, and in the bottom right are the top ten "Most Requested Unreleased Shows". It's no surprise that the top two on that list are a pair of shows held up for release due to various rights issues: The Wonder Years and the classic '60s Batman.

The 3rd item down, for quite some time, is MTV's Daria. A spin-off of Beavis and Butt-head, the show's only seen a pair of minor DVD releases back in 2002: Daria - The Movie: Is It Fall Yet? and Daria - Is It College Yet?. For the past seven years there's been no further word...until now!

Marty Day, who runs the website Blast-O-Rama.com, received an early copy yesterday of another long-awaited MTV program, The State. Marty's e-mail to us, describing what happened next, just about says it all: "Popped in the first disc, and wouldn't you know it, the DVD starts with an ad promoting Daria hitting DVD in 2010. I guess they're following one 'couldn't be done' release with another! Marty was also kind enough to send us a screen capture as proof...we've got that below!

This is incredible news for the thousands of registered members of this site, who have voted for Daria to get a proper release on DVD. We're obviously going to be keeping a sharp eye out for more info about this 2010 DVD release, so stay tuned and we'll update you!

it takes a muscle.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Good news...
Jul 03rd 2009
!
Jul 03rd 2009
I'm assuming all the music will be replaced.
Jul 03rd 2009
prolly. this is kickass news tho
Jul 03rd 2009
yeah, they had to do the same thing with the state.
Mar 09th 2010
Here's hoping they don't chop it up and cut out the music
Jul 03rd 2009
RE: Here's hoping they don't chop it up and cut out the music
Jul 03rd 2009
It's about fucking time! HOLLER! :)
Jul 03rd 2009
fuck mtv. a rapidshare account was all it took to get this.
Jul 06th 2009
you mean to tell me you found all of em, in ENGLISH, uncut?
Jul 08th 2009
      I have a link to all the episodes streaming online if you want it
Mar 11th 2010
RE: So "Daria" is finally fucking being released on dvd...WOO!
Jul 08th 2009
Any updates on this?
Mar 09th 2010
May 11. 8 discs. $69.99 SRP.
Mar 09th 2010
      expecting one of you OKP/Daria hackers to fix this
Mar 09th 2010
      Won't be me. I can live without the music.
Mar 09th 2010
           What was so special about the music?
Mar 10th 2010
                MTV ran various pop/rock/hip-hop as background music
Mar 10th 2010
                MTV ran various pop/rock/hip-hop as background music
Mar 10th 2010
      Good stuff. Thanks for the info.
Mar 11th 2010
Sick Sad World...
Mar 09th 2010
Daria is coming?
Mar 09th 2010
RE: So "Daria" is finally fucking being released on dvd...WOO!
Mar 10th 2010
RELEASING TOMORROW!!
May 10th 2010
DVD Verdict Review
May 11th 2010
I reviewed this as well...check the link
May 11th 2010

Mr Teeth
Member since Jun 09th 2009
3642 posts
Fri Jul-03-09 10:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Good news..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jul-03-09 10:14 AM by Mr Teeth

always enjoyed the show when i was around 11.

Didn't get to follow the later shows though.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jul-03-09 10:34 AM

2. "!"
In response to Reply # 0

Great news

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Nukkapedia
Member since Apr 16th 2006
35461 posts
Fri Jul-03-09 12:13 PM

3. "I'm assuming all the music will be replaced."
In response to Reply # 0

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Fri Jul-03-09 08:48 PM

7. "prolly. this is kickass news tho"
In response to Reply # 3

thoughtprocess
Member since Nov 16th 2003
22223 posts
Tue Mar-09-10 09:57 AM

12. "yeah, they had to do the same thing with the state."
In response to Reply # 3

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Fri Jul-03-09 12:23 PM

4. "Here's hoping they don't chop it up and cut out the music"
In response to Reply # 0

GREAT show.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

delariean
Member since Jun 29th 2005
703 posts
Fri Jul-03-09 12:57 PM

5. "RE: Here's hoping they don't chop it up and cut out the music"
In response to Reply # 4

It may have taken that long to just clear music samples for the DVD to come out...so we will see if they replaced the music or not..

Now...patiently waiting for the Maxx to come out on DVD and I'll be a happy camper..

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Jul-03-09 05:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "It's about fucking time! HOLLER! :)"
In response to Reply # 0

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44862 posts
Mon Jul-06-09 12:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "fuck mtv. a rapidshare account was all it took to get this. "
In response to Reply # 0

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

hardware
42304 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 01:44 PM

10. "you mean to tell me you found all of em, in ENGLISH, uncut?"
In response to Reply # 8

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Thu Mar-11-10 12:16 PM

23. "I have a link to all the episodes streaming online if you want it "
In response to Reply # 10

>

jalen05
Member since Oct 12th 2005
330 posts
Wed Jul-08-09 01:38 PM

9. "RE: So "Daria" is finally fucking being released on dvd...WOO!"
In response to Reply # 0

Awesome

Mr Teeth
3642 posts
Tue Mar-09-10 07:26 AM

11. "Any updates on this?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Tue Mar-09-10 10:15 AM

13. "May 11. 8 discs. $69.99 SRP."
In response to Reply # 11

Expect the music to be edited.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Daria-The-Complete-Series/13322

Daria - Pricing and Final Package Art for The Complete Animated Series
May 11th release for this loaded 8-disc collected
Posted by David Lambert
2/09/2010

The saga of Daria on DVD continues! Yesterday morning we brought you MTV/Paramount's official announcement for Daria - The Complete Animated Series. This long-awaited 8-DVD set, filled with all 65 episodes from the 5 season run, and both telefilms, and extensive bonus material, will arrive at last on May 11th. Late in the afternoon yesterday we updated you with an early look at the cover art for this collection, along with word that this set would be a "great value" at a "low price" (quoting the studio there).

This afternoon Paramount Home Entertainment began circulating finalized package art for this release, in a high-resolution 3D picture that we show you below. As you can see, the key art is exactly what we showed off yesterday afternoon. What's the "low price" going to be? Several of our readers have pointed us toward an Amazon placeholder listing, which doesn't currently have pricing (nor is it accepting pre-orders; right this moment it only says "sign up to be notified when this item becomes available"). However, a DVDEmpire.com pre-order listing has gone live today for this title, where you can lock in a copy of the set right away. DVDEmpire gives a list price of $69.99 SRP, and is currently discounting it to just $49.99 as of this writing (subject to change without notice, at DVDEmpire's discretion).

During the past day, fans have been inquiring about whether or not the original music would all be intact. In a report we passed along last November from The-WildOne.com, it was said that there WILL be music changes on this release. After seeing the finalized cost for the set, we're convinced that the production team couldn't have met that price range without making the indicated musical changes. So, although we don't have definite word from the studio saying "yes" or "no" about music edits, it's certainly something we reasonably expect here. That's going to be our answer to this question, unless the studio tells us otherwise. Still, we are very happy that Daria is making it out at last, and we hope all of you will be too!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/Daria_CompleteSeries_f.jpg

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Tue Mar-09-10 01:49 PM

14. "expecting one of you OKP/Daria hackers to fix this"
In response to Reply # 13

>During the past day, fans have been inquiring about whether or
>not the original music would all be intact. In a report we
>passed along last November from The-WildOne.com, it was said
>that there WILL be music changes on this release. After seeing
>the finalized cost for the set, we're convinced that the
>production team couldn't have met that price range without
>making the indicated musical changes. So, although we don't
>have definite word from the studio saying "yes" or "no" about
>music edits, it's certainly something we reasonably expect
>here. That's going to be our answer to this question, unless
>the studio tells us otherwise.

I'm expecting - nay, requiring - one of you to correct this via bootleg.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Tue Mar-09-10 09:48 PM

16. "Won't be me. I can live without the music."
In response to Reply # 14

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Wed Mar-10-10 01:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "What was so special about the music?"
In response to Reply # 16

I remember watching this show all the time, and i vaguely remember any music.

At least i wont be disappointed, unlike the Chappelle Show dvds that didnt include most of the music performances.

--sig--
n/a

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Wed Mar-10-10 01:59 PM

20. "MTV ran various pop/rock/hip-hop as background music"
In response to Reply # 19

for most of the episodes.

Since the original show contracts didn't make any arrangements for home video releases, and it would be far, far too expensive to license the music otherwise for home video, the solution is to remove it and replace it with stock tracks.

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Wed Mar-10-10 01:59 PM

21. "MTV ran various pop/rock/hip-hop as background music"
In response to Reply # 19

for most of the episodes.

Since the original show contracts didn't make any arrangements for home video releases, and it would be far, far too expensive to license the music otherwise for home video, the solution is to remove it and replace it with stock tracks.

Mr Teeth
3642 posts
Thu Mar-11-10 11:51 AM

22. "Good stuff. Thanks for the info."
In response to Reply # 13

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Tue Mar-09-10 02:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "Sick Sad World..."
In response to Reply # 0

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Tue Mar-09-10 10:56 PM

17. "Daria is coming?"
In response to Reply # 0

Jesus it beat the complete Larry Sanders show to DVD??

Complex720
Charter member
2992 posts
Wed Mar-10-10 09:41 AM

18. "RE: So "Daria" is finally fucking being released on dvd...WOO!"
In response to Reply # 0

There's so many shows from the 80's & 90's that I'd love to see on dvd. (a lot that already are on dvd) I'm glad this is on the way too. I think I'm becoming more greedy though because as excited as I am for this, I wish it would hit NetFlix instant watch, Amazon Video On Demand, or something like that.

-----------------
www.precisehero.com

hardware
42304 posts
Mon May-10-10 06:49 PM

24. "RELEASING TOMORROW!!"
In response to Reply # 0

w00t!

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Tue May-11-10 07:16 AM

25. "DVD Verdict Review"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/dariacompleteseries.php

Case Number 18878

DARIA: THE COMPLETE ANIMATED SERIES

MTV // 1997 // 1586 Minutes // Not Rated
Reviewed by Judge Victor Valdivia // May 11th, 2010

The Charge
What she lacks in enthusiasm she makes up for in sarcasm.

Opening Statement

Daria Morgendorffer originally began as a supporting character on MTV's classic Beavis and Butt-head. The sardonic brainy girl who took ironic pleasure in watching the titular idiots abuse themselves and each other, Daria became so popular in her own right that, in 1997, as Beavis and Butt-Head was winding down, she was spun off into her own series. Daria would become the last popular animated series on MTV and run for five years before creator/producer Glenn Eichler (who later became an Emmy-winning writer/producer for The Colbert Report) decided to end it in 2002 lest it wear out its welcome. Fans were saddened, even more so when, for various reasons, the show was pulled out of reruns and wasn't issued on DVD (except for a couple of movies). Finally, after a long wait, the complete series is finally out on DVD, and while the Daria: The Complete Animated Series package isn't as outstanding as the show deserves, Daria itself is an enduring classic for teenage outcasts of all ages and genders.
Facts of the Case

Daria (Tracy Grandstaff) is a smart, articulate, and incisive teenager in Lawndale High, your average suburban high school. In other words, she's in hell. Though she takes refuge with her equally acerbic best friend, aspiring artist Jane Lane (Wendy Hoopes, LAX), she is forced to deal with her driven lawyer mom Helen (Hoopes), her high-strung yet clueless consultant father Jake (Julián Rebolledo), and worst of all her younger yet prettier and more popular sister Quinn (Hoopes). She struggles through get through the days where she is tormented by her family, her mostly insufferable schoolmates, and the alternately inept and tyrannical faculty, taking comfort in the hope that someday, Lawndale will become a shattered post-apocalyptic wasteland. A girl can dream, right?

Daria: The Complete Animated Series compiles all 65 episodes and two-feature-length TV-movies, Is It Fall Yet?, which aired between the fourth and fifth seasons, and Is It College Yet?, which aired as the series finale.

The Evidence

MTV had never aired a show quite like Daria before. It's even sadder that they've never aired one since. At a time when the network was flooding the airwaves with the latest pap from Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson, it was also airing the one show that was, in every way, the exact opposite. Daria provided teenage girls with a positive role model that was badly needed then and isn't any less so now. Here was a teenage girl who was important because of her brains and her humor but who wasn't so irritatingly perfect as to be inaccessible. Daria was the teenager that everyone who wasn't popular in high school wished they could be or could have been, and it's a tribute to the show's quality that she hasn't dated one iota. Daria still one of the most bracingly honest and scathingly funny depictions of the agony (and occasional ecstasy) that is adolescence ever created.

The brilliance of Daria's characterization isn't just that she was smart and fearless -- that's easy for TV. The catch is that for all her intellect and creativity, she is still, at heart, a typical teenage girl who loves junk food, bad TV, and cute guys. Sure, she reads George Orwell and can easily understand the frightening similarities between his stories and the ridiculously restrictive nightmare that is her school. She also makes clear that she has no interest in being popular if being popular means that she has to endlessly spew meaningless drivel about clothes and dating like Quinn does. Nonetheless, she isn't a chest-thumping anti-materialist vegan either. She can still take time to enjoy a nice greasy pizza with Jane, to sit and watch a marathon of Sick, Sad World, the ludicrous tabloid TV show she finds amusing, and to become speechless and tongue-tied around Jane's intriguing older brother, aspiring grunge rocker Trent (Alvaro J. Gonzalez). She could also be occasionally self-righteous or judgmental, flaws she (after some prodding by family and friends) could grudgingly admit. This complex portrayal made Daria a much more endearing and empathetic character than she might have been in lesser hands. Viewers could be dazzled by her quick wit and intellect but could also relate to her emotionally because she wasn't cloying or superior. In many ways, she was a far more well-rounded character than many of the live-action superstars that have clogged up MTV since.

It would have been easy to surround Daria with a group of cardboard cutouts that acted as straw men for her to knock down. Instead, Daria's supporting characters were almost as well-developed as she was. Consider Jodie (Jessica Cydnee Jackson), the school valedictorian. As one of only two black students in the lily white suburb of Lawndale, she's under enormous pressure to excel and provide a positive example. She accepts her role with grace but there are times when even she needs to vent about her unwanted role to Daria, the only student who could possibly understand. This is an unusual story; TV shows have rarely, if ever, addressed how it feels to be the only minority in any organization. Similarly, Jane is more than Daria's sidekick and sounding board. She may be an academic slacker but she does have a passion for running that leads her, in the episode "See Jane Run," to deliberately shed her outsider persona and join the track team. This episode is one of the best because it demonstrates the contradictions that Daria herself faces. She may value the role of outsider, but at some level she also realizes that losing Jane would mean being truly alone. It's their friendship that's the linchpin of the series and it wouldn't be convincing if Jane wasn't as well-defined as Daria.

Daria's friendship with Jane faces its biggest test, however, in the controversial series of episodes in seasons four and five (as well as Is It Fall Yet?) in which she and Daria meet Tom (Russell Hankin), a preppy student at another school who develops feelings for both of them. Some fans bristled at this storyline, feeling it turned the show into a soap opera. It's a charge that seem rather farfetched in retrospect, given how tame this storyline is compared to the likes of Gossip Girl and The Hills. It's true that Tom, as a character, isn't as well-defined as he should be (though he does get some amusing lines) but the storyline gave Daria and Jane some of their most affecting moments. Daria has no shortage of great jokes, but these episodes pack such an emotional punch that they demonstrate just how well-defined the characters are.

The credit for the show's success is multifaceted. The animation, simple yet colorful, is fittingly minimalist but with enough visual flair to match the teenage setting. The voice acting is stellar. Grandstaff's voice seems initially like a monotone, but after a while, you realize that even though its range may seem narrow, it can actually convey a whole range of emotions. The real standout, though, is Hoopes. Playing three radically different characters, she endows each of them with unique characteristics that can fool you into thinking you're hearing different actresses, especially in scenes she has with herself. The combination of acting, writing, and animation make Daria as much of a pleasure to watch now as it was when it first aired.

Technically the set is solid. The full-screen transfer is sharp, much sharper than these episodes have looked in a long time. It's so clear, in fact, that you can sometimes spot glitches in the animation where colors are painted incorrectly. Daria was one of the last shows done in hand-drawn ink-and-cel animation style so you won't get the crispness of modern computer-based shows. That doesn't really matter, however, since Daria was always more about the characters and dialogue than dazzling animation. The stereo sound mix is fine, too, showcasing the dialogue perfectly.
The Rebuttal Witnesses

MTV has billed this as The Complete Animated Series. Not so fast, MTV. True, these episodes are complete, instead of being severely chopped up and censored like the versions that briefly aired on the late and unlamented Noggin channel. However, the version of Is It College Yet? that's included is, just as on its previous stand-alone DVD release, the edited 66-minute version instead of the unedited 75-minute one that originally premiered. Apparently, the longer version is lost forever. Also missing is 99 percent of the original music that aired with each episode. The package includes a statement from Eichler in which he explains that licensing the original music (which encompassed virtually every artist ever played on MTV during Daria's run) would have been prohibitively expensive, but these changes do sometimes hurt the humor. For instance, the parody of R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts" video in the episode "Road Worrier" is much less amusing without the actual music.

The extras for this package are also disappointingly meager. The most anticipated are the interviews with Eichler and many of the show's voice actors (6:21) but these are way too short. This isn't even as comprehensive as the original behind-the-scenes program that aired on MTV back in 2000 before the series was over, which is, sadly, not included here. Also included is the original pilot "Sealed With A Kick" (5:24), which is a black-and-white animatic originally issued on the Daria VHS tape, some character profiles ported over from the Is It College Yet? DVD, the video for Trent's song "Freakin' Friends" (2:38) from the Is It Fall Yet? DVD, a script for a potential spinoff with Trent and his band Mystik Spiral, and some intros for a countdown of animated music videos hosted by Daria and Jane. Some episodes also come with brief intros by Daria and Jane originally aired before the series was over. That's it. Not included, in addition to the behind-the-scenes show, are the retrospective Look Back in Annoyance, various Daria appearances on other MTV specials such as the MTV Video Music Awards back in 1997, and some alternate intros for the first season which aired in 1998. These omissions aren't necessarily fatal but they do typify just how badly MTV treated Daria over the years. The omission of the original music is at least understandable, but to not have much in the way of interviews and to include the chopped-up version of Is It College Yet? is simply indefensible. Fans deserve better than that.
Closing Statement

You can argue that MTV has, as usual, not given Daria fans as much respect as they deserve (and that's true). You can argue that by not getting these episodes with all of their original music, you're not getting to see them as they were originally intended (and that's true). Still, give MTV some credit: for the first time in many, many, years, you'll finally be able to watch unedited episodes of Daria whenever you want to. That's no small achievement. MTV has devolved into irrelevance and trivia in recent years (the channel doesn't even play music videos anymore), but with this collection, you'll get to see one of the last great shows they were responsible for and one of the smartest, most underrated animated programs of all time. Sometimes even the alienated outcast gets her day to shine.
The Verdict

Not guilty.

Scales of Justice
Video: 85
Audio: 85
Extras: 70
Acting: 95
Story: 95
Judgment: 95

Perp Profile
Studio: MTV
Video Formats:
* Full Frame

Audio Formats:
* Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo (English)

Subtitles:
* None

Running Time: 1586 Minutes
Release Year: 1997
MPAA Rating: Not Rated

Distinguishing Marks
* Interviews
* Bonus Footage
* Bonus Episode
* Unreleased Script
* Character Profiles

Accomplices
* IMDb: Daria
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0118298/combined

* IMDb: Is It Fall Yet?
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0250440/combined

* IMDb: Is It College Yet?
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0285627/combined

* Outpost Daria
http://www.outpost-daria.com/index.html

Virgenes Corazon
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
2985 posts
Tue May-11-10 11:53 PM

26. "I reviewed this as well...check the link"
In response to Reply # 0

http://kyprophet.courier-journal.com

Avatar: Chikara Pro Wrestling. Born From Oblivion.

New Technology Vs. Horse album, "Sorry That I Knocked You Up" http://technologyvshorse.bandcamp.com/album/sorry-that-i-knocked-you-up

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #460376 Previous topic | Next topic