Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #428931

Subject: "Chris Rock's New Flick: GOOD HAIR" Previous topic | Next topic
iamibe7
Member since Jan 22nd 2009
226 posts
Thu Jan-22-09 05:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Chris Rock's New Flick: GOOD HAIR"

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/movies/396948_chrisrockfilm22.html?source=rss

Chris Rock's 'Good Hair' shines at Sundance Film Festival
By DAVID GERMAIN
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

PARK CITY, Utah -- Chris Rock was having a good hair day at the Sundance Film Festival.

Hours after President Barack Obama's inauguration, Rock sat down to talk about his Sundance entry, "Good Hair," a hilarious examination of the cultural pressures that prod blacks into costly, often painful methods to care for their hair.

The idea first hit Rock in the mid-1990s on a stand-up tour through Atlanta, where he came across the Bronner Bros. International Hair Show, a glitzy convention for black stylists.

"I thought, 'Wow, this would make a great movie,' but that was like 15 years ago, and no one was making funny documentaries 15 years ago," Rock said in an interview Tuesday alongside Nia Long, one of many actors and other celebrities Rock interviews in the film.

"So you cut to now, and I have daughters, and I'm really dealing with them and their hair a lot, and my friends have daughters, and we talk about our daughters' hair issues. I kind of saw where to go at it, and now people are making funny documentaries," he said.

"Good Hair," one of 16 films in Sundance's U.S. documentary competition, follows Rock from the Bronner Bros. show to neighborhood salons, businesses dealing in hair-care products and the streets of India, where human hair is a huge export industry for hair weaves.

"I was kind of scared to come to Sundance in a sense, because I think this is the blackest movie ever made," said Rock, a producer and co-writer on the film. "So I was kind of scared to come to Utah, because it's so white."

But Rock said Sundance crowds have given "Good Hair" an enthusiastic reception, bolstering his hopes that it can find a broad audience. Produced by HBO, "Good Hair" eventually will air on the cable channel, but Rock and his collaborators are considering a theatrical release first.

While loaded with the 43-year-old actor-comedian's wisecracking humor, "Good Hair" also raises serious questions about identity and equality among black women who feel they need long, straight, silky hair to fit into white society.

"It's this whole thing about approval. That approval is not simply, 'I want white people to love me.' It's like, 'I need a job. I want to move forward, and if I have a hairstyle that is somewhat intimidating, that's going to stop me from moving forward,' " said Nelson George, executive producer of "Good Hair."

Rock interviews women who undergo hair-relaxing treatments with chemicals that burn their scalps and others who pay thousands of dollars for hair weaves. Along the way, he trades witty, insightful observations with such figures as Maya Angelou, the Rev. Al Sharpton, actors Raven-Symone and Tracie Thoms, and singers Eve and Ice-T.

Long talks candidly in the film about her own perms and weaves, but in the interview with Rock she also speaks hopefully about how Obama, his wife and their two daughters can help blacks overcome the cultural inferiority complex that prompts them to change their hair.

"Just seeing that family photo and seeing the daughters with their hair in cornrows sometimes, it resonates for me in such a huge way," Long said. "I just feel finally we have an image that's the most powerful image in our country that actually is a part of who I am."

Rock also reveled in Obama's inauguration, but he joked about another hurdle still facing blacks.

"Excellent black people have always been compensated for excellence. Always," Rock said. "The real equality is when we can have a black president as dumb as George Bush. That's when we're really equal. That's when the dream has come true."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I just read about it, am looking forward to it
Jan 22nd 2009
Documentaries is probably a good vehicle for Rock...
Jan 22nd 2009
^^^The truth^^^
Aug 03rd 2009
      LOL@ Money Talks
Aug 03rd 2009
           The Vic Damone segment alone makes that classic, but I digress...
Aug 12th 2009
What does he mean by "Good Hair?"
Jan 23rd 2009
well played
Jan 23rd 2009
I'm just 1 black woman, but this smells like some bullshit to me.
Jan 23rd 2009
What set off alarm bells for you?
Aug 03rd 2009
Trailer's up
Aug 03rd 2009
Looks great.
Aug 03rd 2009
Looks promising
Aug 03rd 2009
I think it'll be good...and LOL @ Rev. Al.
Aug 03rd 2009
That looks good
Aug 04th 2009
i lol'd @ calling Eve and Ice-T "singers"
Aug 04th 2009
I'm in
Aug 04th 2009
Seen it. It's hilarious, touching, and undeniably BLACK.
Sep 25th 2009
"So that can there, has a good perm"
Sep 25th 2009
Al Sharpton had the Best Quote in that flick:
Oct 27th 2009
Me and the wife saw it Sunday
Oct 29th 2009
RE: Very informative and entertaining
Oct 30th 2009
Very illuminating
Nov 04th 2009
just saw it, here are my comments
Nov 10th 2009
That Indian Temple stuff was wild.
Feb 22nd 2010
Informative and better than anticipated
Feb 22nd 2010
too much focus on the competition
Feb 22nd 2010

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Thu Jan-22-09 05:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I just read about it, am looking forward to it"
In response to Reply # 0

Perhaps Basa has seen it, since he may be there?

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Thu Jan-22-09 08:11 PM

2. "Documentaries is probably a good vehicle for Rock..."
In response to Reply # 0

as oppose to feature films. I just resaw I think I love my wife and realized this time its pretty decent EXCEPT for Rock...which is a pretty big exception.

Documentaries should be more like standup and his show which have always where his talents shine.

"See he's organized, and he's on the ball. Never miss a day of school,and he's a underdog. Wanna learn more and more, cuz his mama taught him good. He's about to change the face of yo ghetto neighborhood." (c) Badu

El_Pistolero
Member since Dec 05th 2007
2664 posts
Mon Aug-03-09 06:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "^^^The truth^^^"
In response to Reply # 2

I've seen all of Rock's movies but I gotta say that he doesn't really have that many "classics" under his belt(CB4?). Shit, Chris Tucker has made less movies but has more "classics" (Rush Hour, Friday, Money Talks).

---------------------------------------
So it goes.

Rockscissorspaper
Charter member
2042 posts
Mon Aug-03-09 06:52 PM

12. "LOL@ Money Talks"
In response to Reply # 11

-----------------------------

HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Mr 412
Member since Aug 31st 2008
1060 posts
Wed Aug-12-09 08:23 PM

16. "The Vic Damone segment alone makes that classic, but I digress..."
In response to Reply # 12
Wed Aug-12-09 08:27 PM by Mr 412

Who the hell is Vic Damone? (c) Chris Tucker

Willie Thrower was the 1st...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNnwcfco0Rc

TheWhiteMedia
Member since Jun 23rd 2005
792 posts
Fri Jan-23-09 11:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "What does he mean by "Good Hair?""
In response to Reply # 0

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16840 posts
Fri Jan-23-09 12:56 PM

4. "well played"
In response to Reply # 3

<================================
daddy's girl ... coolest kid ever!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20787335@N08

no_i_cant_dance
Member since Apr 10th 2006
5577 posts
Fri Jan-23-09 04:01 PM

5. "I'm just 1 black woman, but this smells like some bullshit to me."
In response to Reply # 0

I still wanna see it tho to see if my suspicions are accurate.

<<Mood...Poppy Okotcha in Look 1 at Ashish Fall 2016

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa7KBq0q5bU

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Mon Aug-03-09 09:39 AM

9. "What set off alarm bells for you?"
In response to Reply # 5

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Mon Aug-03-09 12:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Trailer's up"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-4qxz08So

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86673 posts
Mon Aug-03-09 12:57 AM

7. "Looks great."
In response to Reply # 6

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

xbenzive
Charter member
3183 posts
Mon Aug-03-09 09:20 AM

8. "Looks promising"
In response to Reply # 6

placee_22
Member since Sep 30th 2002
12956 posts
Mon Aug-03-09 10:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "I think it'll be good...and LOL @ Rev. Al. "
In response to Reply # 6

Wordup
Member since Mar 03rd 2006
36504 posts
Tue Aug-04-09 07:44 AM

13. "That looks good"
In response to Reply # 6

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-4qxz08So
>
>
>

I didnt know Lauren London wore a weave.

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Tue Aug-04-09 09:58 AM

14. "i lol'd @ calling Eve and Ice-T "singers""
In response to Reply # 0

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Tue Aug-04-09 10:29 AM

15. "I'm in"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Fri Sep-25-09 04:57 AM

17. "Seen it. It's hilarious, touching, and undeniably BLACK."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-25-09 05:00 AM by ZooTown74

But non-black folk, don't let that deter you, it's a nice foray into black hair and its importance in our community... as well as a nice essay on the effects of conditioning (literally and figuratively) on us... but it's certainly not a preachy flick, it's highly entertaining, just wish it were longer than the 95 minutes it ran...

Also, I'ma go ahead and renew my undying love for Nia Long...

also on Facebook

sfMatt
Member since Jun 20th 2002
10383 posts
Fri Sep-25-09 02:16 PM

18. ""So that can there, has a good perm""
In response to Reply # 0

lmao

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Tue Oct-27-09 10:38 PM

19. "Al Sharpton had the Best Quote in that flick:"
In response to Reply # 0

"if we cant dominate an industry of products that we r the sole consumers of, that is economic retardation"

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

sithlord
Member since Aug 05th 2002
2832 posts
Thu Oct-29-09 02:28 PM

20. "Me and the wife saw it Sunday"
In response to Reply # 19

There were women there, who had weaves, who still loudly gasped at the price of weaves.
I was kind of preferential to: "So I went to the place where most decisions about Black America are made...Atlanta". Personally.

The movie was very well done, I thought. I'd be interested in Chris Rock doing more documentaries in the future.

<----My debut album cover

Finally...The Blog of the Sith: http://shef1556.blogspot.com/

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Fri Oct-30-09 03:29 PM

21. "RE: Very informative and entertaining"
In response to Reply # 0

Rock did a great job of spotlighting on the business side of the black hair care industry. I give him props for not shying away from the fact that Asian retailers are making money off of goods used soley by black people. On the downside he did not make much of an issue as to how this whole good hair vs bad hair stuff started in the first place(it started back on the plantation).

grade B+

TheWhiteMedia
Member since Jun 23rd 2005
792 posts
Wed Nov-04-09 05:10 PM

22. "Very illuminating "
In response to Reply # 0

Harmonia
Charter member
14560 posts
Tue Nov-10-09 12:22 PM

23. "just saw it, here are my comments"
In response to Reply # 0

The strong points in the film were him going to India and talking about the business aspect of black hair.

The weak points were him devoting too much time to the Bonner hair show in Atlanta.

He really didn't get to the crux of good hair vs bad hair. I think he coulda dove deeper in this topic and still made a film that was hilarious, educational, and reflective.

It seemed kinda rushed I guess. I think the best way to tackle this subject is with humor because hair is such a sensitive topic. I'd like him to take another stab at this because I think he coulda done a better job.

Nia Long was great.

www.twitter.com/MsKianga
http://nativebeadwork.blogspot.com/
'I can't stand Tim McCarver. He has a penchant for making blindingly obvious statements in a self-congratulatory tone' Kyle Lohse

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Mon Feb-22-10 01:53 PM

24. "That Indian Temple stuff was wild."
In response to Reply # 0

Surprised the film didn't spend more time talking about how the people didn't get paid for their hair. Almost had to just read between the lines, but that was one of the crazier instances of exploitation covered in the film. Wish they had covered the journey from temple to auction a little bit more in depth.

It was funny how Rock played the role of the baffled outsider, when you know his wife probably does all that stuff.

Anyway, just thoughts that came up during the movie. I liked it quite a bit. That poor underwater hairdresser lady!

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

KingMonte
Member since Feb 13th 2006
4675 posts
Mon Feb-22-10 06:44 PM

25. "Informative and better than anticipated"
In response to Reply # 0

But damn I get pissed when I see all of the money being siphoned out of the Black community.
Oh, my bad, I suggested there was a Black community.

I have a 400 year old chip on my shoulder.

Mageddon
Charter member
4018 posts
Mon Feb-22-10 06:59 PM

26. "too much focus on the competition"
In response to Reply # 0

which didn't interest me at all.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #428931 Previous topic | Next topic