You fuckers have made me waste so much time. And yet I've learned so much.
I wanted to use this post to accomplish many things. First off, let me start with an announcement.
1. THE OKAYPLAYER MOVIE CLUB WILL BE RETURNING IN A TIMELY MANNER. All other manners of organization have failed in the past, so we will be doing this, since this is my last semester of school and I don't have anything better to do. People will inbox me their suggestions for the week, I'll form a poll, we'll vote for 24 hours, and that'll be the choice. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME DUMB SHIT. We will be doing this to expand cinematic knowledge, get acquainted with classics that we might never have seen, et cetera. So get ready, movie geeks. December 1st. Mark your calendar. The first Movie Club poll results will be up that day.
2. As ricky_BUTLER and a few other people know, I've been eyeing a big task: fixin up the ole archives. There's a whole lotta shit in there that doesn't really reflect PTP, like Jill Scott CD reviews with 5 replies and what have you. Keep an eye out for the Spring Archive Cleaning post, because I will certainly want all of your input.
3. I'd like to shout out the following people who I've learned a whole lot from during my far too much time on these boards. This includes, but is by no means limited to...ah, fuck it. You know who you are. I'm not gonna make a list and seem elitist, so if you know I would've named you, pat yourself on the back.
4. Being a sometime film critic/fulltime theater major/all-the-time PTP asshole, I'll take this post in the same direction I took my 10,000th post. Ask the mod a question. About anything. I'd rather you keep it somewhat film/TV/theater related to keep it strictly within the confines of the guidelines, but I'll let it slide. I'm the moderator, and this is a PTP celebration, bitches. Ask your boy Frank Longo some Qs and I'll give some As.
6. "As a theater geek, I am pumped as hell for Dreamgirls." In response to Reply # 1
>1. What do you think Dreamgirls is gonna be like? >Good/bad/somewhere inbetween/Best picture?
Worst case scenario: good picture, quality musical. Best case scenario: nom for Best Pic, wins in other categories.
Bill Condon is the truth. He knows theater, and he knows how to make it work in cinema form. I'm pumped to see this.
>2. Of the movies you've seen so far this year, what is your >personal Best Pic frontrunner?
Without a doubt, The Departed. BUT I haven't gotten a chance yet to see either The Queen or Babel, both of which are at my neighborhood theater. I take the GRE Tuesday, so after that I'm hittin the cinema.
>3. Of all the things you've learned on this board, what has >proven to be the most beneficial?
Jesus. Um...I'd say two things have really been enlightening to me:
1. Seeing all the people with different tastes in movies (King Friday different from Janey different from you different from O_E different from etc.) has helped me a lot in analyzing film from a somewhat more objective angle. It's opened my eyes to more artsy films, and the problems with artsy films. It's opened my eyes to some mainstream affairs that I might not have otherwise been drawn to, and it's made me recoil at the lack of content. It's helped me to see both sides of the coin, which then enables me to really pinpoint what I like and don't like in my own personal tastes. Being exposed to many different chefs expands the palate. No homo.
2. The posters who are working in film/comedy/theater/etc. have REALLY opened my eyes to what that is like. As a Duke student who has more or less had privilege drop in his lap by luck greeting me around every corner, seeing the successes/tribulations/processes of how it works outside of my neck of the woods is really enlightening, and has helped me figure out how I want to approach my own eventual artistic output.
Sidenote: For the first time ever, I got paid by people who want to perform a play I wrote. My old high school is doing it, since it was such a hit when I was there. Granted, I wish to death that I could rewrite it...but the target audience digs it. And I'm getting some money in my pocket. So I can't hate.
>And finally a comment...thanks for being a kick ass moderator >on here.
>1. What DVD's do you plan on buying/watching in the next >month or so?
Goddammit, LOL. I need to save money, but I will DEFINITELY be purchasing:
Seinfeld Season 7 Animaniacs Season 2 Pinky and the Brain Season 2 SNL Season 1 (maybe...might be a Christmas gift)
Plus, I just bought Kids in the Hall Season 4 and Woody Allen Set 3 (the one with Hannah and Her Sisters and Broadway Danny Rose in it), so I need to cool it with the purchases.
>2. What are your thoughts on the possible best picture >candidates this year? What are some of the best movies you've >seen already, and which ones do you want to see soon?
- The Departed should be nominated. It's the best one I've seen so far. - Little Miss Sunshine was fun, but does not deserve to be nominated for Best Picture. - I should be seeing both Babel and The Queen in the next two weeks, along with (hopefully) The Prestige, For Your Consideration, Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny, and Casino Royale.
It hasn't been a terribly great movie year so far. But I have high hopes for season's end.
>3. Why do you hate Dirk Nowitzki? Have you noticed that the >Mavs have been winnin EVERY game lately?
I did notice, and I don't care. I hate him because he's an asshole, he calls out his teammates publicly (ESPECIALLY Erick Dampier when Nowitzki should be guarding the big men), he has an aversion towards physical contact, and he's a 7 footer who is allergic to the paint. He is currently a 25-10 man, which is great. Good for him. But if he developed his post game, he could easy become a 30-15 man who contributes heavily on defense. But he doesn't.
Since I was a defensive specialist in my basketball days, it burns me that a dude with his talent and his size refuses to bang around in the paint. And then yells at his teammates for not doing his job.
Shit, I go to the Duke gym and play with dudes who play IM basketball and get my ass kicked. But I STILL go down low into the paint and fight for the offensive boards and the putbacks. JUST RUSH THE PAINT DIRK!
>4. Did Brett Favre have fun today?
He broke his fun streak when that nerve in his arm fucked up. That has GOTTA hurt.
9. "RE: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMHUH" In response to Reply # 7
>Goddammit, LOL. I need to save money, but I will DEFINITELY be >purchasing: > >Seinfeld Season 7
The moment we've all been waiting for. Seriously....who isn't going to buy this?
>Plus, I just bought Kids in the Hall Season 4
some of my very, very, very favorite sketches in there (Love & Sausages, TRY IT NOW!!)
I just got season 2 a few weeks back...for some reason i wasn't expecting it to be as good as 3 or 4, but it might actually be better as an entire season. Very steady. You have season 1, correct? How does that compare?
"Brownsville, never ran never will unless you strapped and I'm not fuck it I gotta peel, P!"
8. "The Prep Time Posse has piqued my curiosity on several occasions." In response to Reply # 5
In fact, this summer when I'd go to the library, I'd go peruse the graphic novel section and peek through the recommended ones from PTP.
Plus, I like hearing about what's going on. I stopped reading comics about 4 or 5 years ago (it was a habit I couldn't afford, so I broke off my relationship completely...then immediately became addicted to DVDs). But I like seeing what's going on, hearing what my favorite writers/artists are doing, and what my favorite characters are up to.
I love reading the pages with spoilers, lol. I'm like, "WHAT?!? NO THEY DIDN'T!!! GODDAMMIT I WISH I WAS STILL READING COMICS."