Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #212015

Subject: "Here's a great breakdown of Dane Cook." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Sat Sep-02-06 09:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Here's a great breakdown of Dane Cook."

From Salon:
http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/review/2006/09/03/dane_cook/

Overcooked

With a big HBO deal, astronomical album sales and countless fans, Dane Cook may be the hottest comedian in years. So where is the laughter?

By Heather Havrilesky

Comedian Dane Cook

Sept. 3, 2006 | Dane Cook looks pleased with himself. He's just arrived onstage in Boston as 18,000 people scream his name and all make a gesture with their hands that looks like a cross between the finger and the sign for "Rock on!"

"What's up?" Cook bellows into his microphone, and the crowd goes nuts.

"When you're in the wrong relationship, with somebody awful, I call that a relationshit." (Huge laugh.)

"Oh, and then you have that makeup sex. Guys, you know that makeup sex..." (Appreciative hooting and applause.)

"When I'm at the movies, I get so into it, that I talk to the screen?" (Clapping, laughing.)

"She must wash her vagina with a dirtier vagina." (Uproarious laughter.)

"We're all gonna lie, we're all gonna cry, and we're all gonna take painful shits." (Screaming, applause.)

If the crowd loves Cook, they're not the only ones. His performance, taped by HBO and named "Dane Cook Vicious Circle," will premiere Monday, Sept. 4 (9 p.m. EDT, check listings). This summer, HBO also aired "Tourgasm," a look behind the scenes at Cook's tour of the college circuit with three other stand-up comedians last year. And according to the Hollywood Reporter, Cook has a deal to develop a scripted series pilot for HBO, and HBO has exclusive rights to Cook's work in "all nontraditional media platforms."

Why is HBO forsaking more sophisticated programming like "Deadwood" for a glorified frat boy? Maybe because that frat boy is alarmingly popular, and represents a potential cash cow for the financially strapped cable channel. Cook's second comedy album, "Retaliation," hit the Billboard charts at No. 4, making it the highest charting comedy album since Steve Martin's "A Wild and Crazy Guy" in 1978. Cook's "Tourgasm" podcast has been at or near the top of the iTunes most downloaded list since it debuted in June. This October, Cook stars opposite Jessica Simpson in the comedy "Employee of the Month," and has been rumored to be seeing Simpson, perhaps a calculated move on the part of some wily publicist.

But Cook's "Tourgasm" series may be the biggest indication of just how far HBO is willing to swerve from its more traditional, more sophisticated fare for the sake of its bottom line. Cook brings three of his comedian friends, Robert Kelly, Gary Gulman and Jay Davis, on a cross-country tour of colleges, intent on capturing all of the high jinx and hilarity on camera. Unfortunately, the guys start to get on each other's nerves almost immediately, and instead of joking around about it, they end up yelling, stomping off and then talking trash about each other for days afterward. This isn't spirited bickering, mind you, it's a bunch of tense confrontations in restaurants where two guys yell at each other while everyone else stares glumly at their plates. Even when the group rents Segways, apparently to approximate some of the good-natured, boyish fun of "Jackass," the guys knock into each other, take awkward spills and seem annoyed afterward. At Niagara Falls, we're treated to several minutes of footage of the guys threatening to throw each other's hats into the falls. And during a game of touch football, Kelly falls, tearing a ligament. Where Johnny Knoxville might moan dramatically while his friends laugh and jeer, Kelly whimpers to Cook, "Hold my hand," and everyone looks palefaced and upset. Woo-hoo, good times!

To understand just how unbearable "Tourgasm" remains from start to finish, imagine a cross between Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedian" (except the jokes aren't all that funny and the comedians involved aren't that interesting or clever) and MTV's "Jackass" (except the teasing and physical pranks aren't that fun or dramatic and they end in angry recriminations, sulking and serious injuries). In short, "Tourgasm" may be the least worthwhile series ever to air on HBO -- "Arli$$" included.

So what explains Cook's popularity? His comedy is most notable for what it lacks: a critique of the political climate (Dennis Miller, George Carlin, Jon Stewart, Bill Maher), a commentary on our culture (Chris Rock, David Chappelle), a slightly tweaked perspective (Ray Romano, Steven Wright, Jerry Seinfeld), outrageously dirty material (Eddie Murphy, Andrew Dice Clay), or just a goofy, oddball routine (Howie Mandel). Although his delivery can be chafingly smug, Cook doesn't present himself as anything special. He likes video games and chicks and sports and other general-purpose guy stuff. He's not particularly baffled by the world, or all that perceptive, or all that self-aware. He's a little self-deprecating, a little bit cutesy and a little bit aggressive, but most important, he treats mundane experiences like they're huge revelations: Breakup sex is the best, right? Right! Sometimes you have to lie to get out of stuff you don't want to do. I know you've done it, too, bro!

Even Cook's delivery isn't noteworthy or unique; he sprinkles "bro" and "dude" into every story, he's terrible at impressions and when he's imitating a woman, he inexplicably speaks in a high voice with a lisp, as if he's doing a homophobic imitation of a gay man.

But Cook's is the sort of non-threatening humor that appeals to people who, when watching Jon Stewart or Jerry Seinfeld, don't feel like they're in on the joke. With Cook, you're always in on the joke. Even if you've never been in a bad relationship or had breakup sex, you can just flash that "SuFi" and you're part of the club.

The SuFi, in fact, embodies the appeal of Dane Cook. Short for "Superfinger," it arose from a skit about Cook's quest for an upgraded version of giving someone the finger -- with the thumb, middle finger and ring finger extended. The emptiness of the gesture sums up the frat-boy camaraderie among Cook's fans, and his popularity among college students. In college, after all, jokes aren't really jokes at all, they're just code words for shared experiences. It's considered funny to refer to Burger King as "The BK Lounge" or to refer to a sandwich as a "sangwich" (we did this when I was in school, and Cook uses both terms often). And there's always a code for "You just got dissed!" (Burn, see ya, smell ya later, doh) and a code for "Rock on!" (sweet, dude, party, hell yeah).

Such multipurpose phrases are always vague, always applicable to almost any situation and always easy to understand when you're falling-down drunk. The content, in other words, is secondary to the fact that it's shared. Pretty much everything that goes on between Cook and the audience is just another way of saying, "I hear ya, bro!" Far from banal, this for Cook constitutes "a holy shit moment," as he puts it on his Web site. He and his crew are quite obviously aware of the appeal of such code words. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Robert Kelly remarks that, "If nothing else comes from 'Tourgasm,' the catchphrases are gonna be huge." (In case you're unfamiliar with how common such catchphrases are, the magazine hilariously refers to Kelly's "Hold my hand, man" as one.)

From his sloppy college kid look to his avoidance of anything political, cultural or remotely critical, Cook aims at appealing to those vast numbers of kids who haven't really developed any interests yet, and are most of all focused on having fun with a big group of people. While Seinfeld or Rock or Carlin or Miller react against the world, working themselves into a lather over just how idiotic and bizarre other people's behavior is, Cook's stories all boil down to the most familiar, relatable experiences he's had. His humor doesn't require even a glance at the wider world; it strengthens the bonds within a homogenous group. "Isn't it crazy when you..." or "How weird is it when..." By celebrating the myopia of the young, Cook has become the hottest comedian around.

Some have accused Cook of stealing material from Louis CK (the clips in question can be heard here, with Louis CK up first), but like all of Cook's skits, this material arises from fairly common experiences and could easily be a coincidence. What's most interesting about comparing the two clips, in fact, is how much more appealing Louis CK's delivery is than Cook's.

But Dane Cook isn't about to play down his talent or his successes. "Vicious Circle is what I would call my show because that is what I fought for endlessly for my young adult life," he writes on his Web site. "To come home and leave my name in the history books with this one gift God blessed me with." So his triumphant homecoming is best summed up by the words "Vicious Circle"? Once again, Cook has latched onto a random phrase that seems to bear no relation to his intended meaning, yet another odd choice by a guy whose popularity is just as unfathomable as his message. Luckily for Cook, millions of young people nationwide don't seem to care either way.

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
not really
Sep 02nd 2006
yeah.
Sep 02nd 2006
I bet the writer of this watched "Fraser" n/m
Sep 02nd 2006
here's what I'm saying though: why can't we like both?
Sep 03rd 2006
      RE: here's what I'm saying though: why can't we like both?
Sep 03rd 2006
      oh shit
Sep 03rd 2006
      RE: oh shit
Sep 03rd 2006
           haha
Sep 03rd 2006
           fat, skinny, whatever...that shit woulda been funny..
Sep 03rd 2006
      ^^^^^real talk
Sep 03rd 2006
      post over n/m
Sep 03rd 2006
      Totally.
Sep 03rd 2006
      Dane Cook is the Young Jeezy of PTP
Sep 03rd 2006
      I'm with you.
Sep 05th 2006
can anyone link said clips?
Sep 02nd 2006
here's the link...
Sep 03rd 2006
I concur
Sep 02nd 2006
true story
Sep 02nd 2006
Dane Cook's penis broke Jessica Simpson's vocal chords. n/m
Sep 02nd 2006
More ethering, courtesy of the L.A. Times (swipe)
Sep 03rd 2006
his first CD was really funny
Sep 03rd 2006
i thought this part was a good observation:
Sep 03rd 2006
maybe that's why people like him.
Sep 03rd 2006
I think that's exactly what the article is saying
Sep 03rd 2006
Fact is, there is much more talented doing the same type of humor
Sep 03rd 2006
yeah, but thats like saying louis ck: dc :: the roots : kanye
Sep 03rd 2006
what punchline?
Sep 03rd 2006
i am down with that
Sep 03rd 2006
And here I thought I had that blocked from my memory
Sep 03rd 2006
Tourgasm was unbearable!
Sep 03rd 2006
i found many parts of it rather funny, but i'm no critic...
Sep 05th 2006
Dane Cook is very, very funny
Sep 07th 2006
I thought Tourgasm was pretty lame...
Sep 07th 2006
RE: I thought Tourgasm was pretty lame...
Sep 07th 2006
Most of Vicous Circle wasn't very good
Sep 07th 2006
He's no Henny Youngman
Sep 07th 2006

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Sat Sep-02-06 10:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "not really"
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------------------
http://talestosuffice.com/
@kennykeil

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Sat Sep-02-06 10:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "yeah."
In response to Reply # 0

---
Refusing to Let Go:
OkayBlowhards Champ 2004

---

http://www.imageyenation.com/

CliffDogg
Member since Dec 19th 2004
18078 posts
Sat Sep-02-06 11:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I bet the writer of this watched "Fraser" n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

----

THFC
F1
MotoGP

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 12:03 AM

8. "here's what I'm saying though: why can't we like both?"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun Sep-03-06 12:26 AM by buckshot defunct

Mikhail Bulgakov is funny to me.

So are Youtube clips of fat kids falling off of DDR machines.

Fuck the divisiveness.

Dane Cook is far too generic of a comedian to be this polarizing of a figure. I feel like comedy snobs, for lack of a better term, are using him as some kind of litmus test, some kind of symbol, and I don't like it one bit. Articles like this aren't going to change anybody's mind on the guy. It's the same kind of preaching to the choir that it accuses Cook of. A pep rally for the haters that's only gonna draw Dane's fanbase closer in. The gap widens, and meanwhile guys like me get stuck in the middle.

I can't believe this person wrote 'having fun with a big group of people' as if it was a bad thing. Like 'hating stuff with a small group of people' is any way to spend a Friday night.

Can't we just chalk Dane up to 'nothing special' and move on with our lives?

@kennykeil

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21495 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 01:03 AM

9. "RE: here's what I'm saying though: why can't we like both?"
In response to Reply # 8

A pep rally for the haters that's only gonna draw Dane's
>fanbase closer in. The gap widens, and meanwhile guys like me
>get stuck in the middle.

>Can't we just chalk Dane up to 'nothing special' and move on
>with our lives?

Thanks for typing this. I am in agreement.

will_5198
Charter member
63070 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 05:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "oh shit"
In response to Reply # 8

>So are Youtube clips of fat kids falling off of DDR machines.

I've gotta start looking for these gems

--------

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 02:14 PM

20. "RE: oh shit"
In response to Reply # 12

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HcgQwr4RBbs

@kennykeil

will_5198
Charter member
63070 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 03:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "haha"
In response to Reply # 20

--------

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 03:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "fat, skinny, whatever...that shit woulda been funny.."
In response to Reply # 20

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

dro
Charter member
7201 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 08:02 AM

13. "^^^^^real talk"
In response to Reply # 8

i agree 100%. there really is a "comedy snob" base out there, pretty much 90% of ptp, and they love to bash dane. yes, the more i listen to him, the more his appeal kind of wears off, but its totally unfair to cast him off because his routine doesn't fall into traditional comedy like this author did.

so yeah, it does leave us in the middle

peace
mike

http://theonlyblogthatmatters.wordpress.com
http://www.last.fm/user/mdrohan/

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52620 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 01:44 PM

18. "post over n/m"
In response to Reply # 8

===========================================
-Me

<----What OKP is listening to this week.

CliffDogg
Member since Dec 19th 2004
18078 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 01:51 PM

19. "Totally."
In response to Reply # 8

I don't even like Dane, I just don't really go out of my way to hate him like most of the comedy snobs that do so.

----

THFC
F1
MotoGP

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 02:31 PM

21. "Dane Cook is the Young Jeezy of PTP"
In response to Reply # 8

That dude was the most surprisingly polarizing figure in the Lesson last year. Then I finally heard it and thought "How does this inspire such hatred/devotion?"

Dane Cook does suck and isn't funny, and his Tourgasm show is beyond lame, but he's not really worth getting worked up over. He's too bland to inspire to care one way or the other.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Tue Sep-05-06 11:45 AM

31. "I'm with you."
In response to Reply # 8

Ever I first heard Dane rock on Retaliation I've been a fan (?est actually put me up on dude). I listen to those others the author mentioned like Carlin, Seinfeld, Stewart and Murphy. None of this takes away from me liking a joke about working at the BK Lounge. I've put on quite a few folks to the boy Dane and I'm looking forward to seeing the HBO show (I gotta download because I don't have HBO). I know some people don't like Dane but to think that you can't like him and complete a sentence is some bullshit.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

DubSpt
Charter member
13933 posts
Sat Sep-02-06 11:24 PM

4. "can anyone link said clips?"
In response to Reply # 0

I love being able to throw "joke thief" at comedians.

Denis Leary = Joke thief
Robin Williams = joke thief, though I think not as much anymore (need to check on that)
And, as far as I remember, Jamie Foxx = joke thief

- Dub

I give rappers the biz for being m-izza-a-archaic.

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 10:47 AM

15. "here's the link..."
In response to Reply # 4

Who knows if he's a thief or not, but he clearly came second, and typically if somebody's doing material as similar as that accidentally, whoever came second will just retire the material out of respect.

http://www.redban.com/blogy/?p=51

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

Smokey Stayhigh
Member since Mar 29th 2005
578 posts
Sat Sep-02-06 11:25 PM

5. "I concur"
In response to Reply # 0

he sucks hard bro.

-

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Sat Sep-02-06 11:47 PM

6. "true story"
In response to Reply # 0

Doc Maestro
Member since May 12th 2005
10391 posts
Sat Sep-02-06 11:47 PM

7. "Dane Cook's penis broke Jessica Simpson's vocal chords. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

sheeeeit

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 05:08 AM

10. "More ethering, courtesy of the L.A. Times (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

>TELEVISION

Dane Cook, pain-free comedian

Ever wonder what would happen if comedy lost its angst? Just take a look at its new smiley face.

By Paul Brownfield
Times Staff Writer

September 3, 2006

Comedians aren't supposed to be happy, just the opposite, but Dane Cook is the Disneyland of comics: He's the happiest, most uncomplicated place on Earth.

He's Seacrest-psyched, boy voted most likely. Cutest. Funniest. Coolest. For Cook, this is no ironic pose à la Andy Kaufman; it's a whole insufferable ethos, integral to the rise of his career. He's become huge by asserting that the comic mind does not come from alienation and restlessness but from adoration and social connection — the comic as your instant-messaging best pal.

To watch his HBO special "Vicious Circle," which airs Monday night, is to be both disappointed in Cook for foisting his surface act on people with such energetic impunity and in audiences for drinking the stuff in as if it were vanguard.

You could also, for variety's sake, be disappointed in HBO for giving the wrong comedian the right kind of platform — a 90-minute concert act recorded recently at the FleetCenter arena in Cook's native Boston, apparently in front of some 18,000 people.

To the question, "What happened to stand-up?" Cook might very well be the depressing answer: It put product in its hair, dumbed itself down and became as eager to please as a trainee at a TGI Friday's. And still it got itself a series, "Tourgasm," which ended its run on HBO last month.

"Tourgasm" was a conspicuously slight and infomercial-like ad to boost Cook's rabid popularity among college-age fans; the rest was filler, Cook and his three comedian underlings in various states of homoerotic, roughhousing repose.

Now HBO, as part of a multiplatform deal, presents Cook in a stand-up special. These were once upon a time the province of active minds and voices (Robert Klein, George Carlin, Roseanne, Chris Rock). But having long watched the brand slacken, HBO has now lent it to the boy most likely to help them succeed wooing younger subscribers.

It makes sense, business sense, anyway: Cook might very well be the next Rob Schneider, or Tom Green, or Ashton Kutcher, or some three-headed beast incorporating some of each. ("Employee of the Month," a comedy in which he costars with rumored girlfriend Jessica Simpson, opens next month. Others are on the assembly line.)

An online connection, the payoff

Cook, then, is a comic-on-the-verge, but with the twist of the new — he's huge among the kids who download his bits off iTunes and onto their cell-phones.

It was on the Internet that Cook, who'd been kicking around in clubs and TV series for years, launched himself anew, advertising his cute-boy looks and general availability for human-to-comedian contact.

Single White Comic Seeks Fan Base for Meaningful Relationship. Reportedly on a $25,000 gamble, Cook launched his own website, and his dogged use of the popular networking site MySpace (where he supposedly has over 1 million "friends") is seen as a model for building one's career, with the Improv chain signing up with MySpace this summer to offer their acts as chat friends.

"Treat the Web like your house," Cook advised comics in Wired magazine of the importance of Internet politicking. "When people knock, answer."

And yet there's something perverse about this. Comics, the best of them, are uniquely antisocial beings offstage, unreachable and idiosyncratic, the audience a kind of natural enemy to be won over with raw need and biting truth. Even multimillionaire Jerry Seinfeld refused to cash in on his popularity post-"Seinfeld," instead forcing himself as an artist to win over audiences through the crafting of a new act, as chronicled in his documentary "Comedian."

But Seinfeld is of the generation raised on Lenny Bruce and Klein. Cook, it seems, is looking to take the audience to lunch.

"There's so many things that I want to let you guys into my world about," is the ungrammatical sentence with which Cook greets his fans at the FleetCenter.

They're screaming like he's Justin Timberlake, and maybe he is. For what is demoralizing is the swagger in the face of such vanilla material, the total absence — like Tom Cruise on Oprah's couch — of self-loathing.

In Cook's act there is no war, no class divide, no crime, no fear, no news, no world. There is only solicitation, the "so many things that I want to let you guys into my world about."

"I'll say this, man," goes one set-up, "the thing I love, even more than the movie itself, I love — we all love — the previews.

"And I'll tell you why." Pause. "Because it doesn't matter what anybody here does for a living, whatever your occupation is, the reason you love the previews, it's because it's the one time, in all our lives, that we get to be a critic. Because you know as soon as that preview ends you're gonna turn to the person next to you, and you're gonna review that film."

At this point I experienced several strange feelings — déjà vu that I was back at the Improv and it was actually 1987 mixed with a sense that I'd misplaced the punch line. Fortunately, Cook proceeded to illustrate the joke he'd just taken too many words to say.

He loves this, the gestures. He pantomimes, in fact, nearly everything that comes out of his mouth. Two fingers down the side of the cheek for crying, wiggling the fingers for typing an e-mail, scribbling motion for writing down directions.

It's a way not to have to bother with language. Cook is disinterested in words and sometimes sloppy with references (he doesn't mean Danny Gans in one joke, he probably means Lance Burton; he doesn't mean baseball umpire in another, he means catcher).

A positive spin

"There's a stigma with comics that they are all so dark and ball-busty and negative," Cook said in July, during the summer TV press tour promoting "Tourgasm" and "Vicious Circle."

"And sure. There's that element," he said. "I don't roll with that. I never hung out with that, you know, and that was even what 'Tourgasm' was about, was putting out a more positive, productive take on what a — what a comic is."

Comedy has traditionally sprung up as a reaction against oppression, internal and external — from the pogrom to the contemporary neurosis. Cook's view flies in the face of what we know, generally, about every significant stand-up voice from Milton Berle on forward. Onstage, Cook exudes the need for attention that all comics have but none of the pain behind the need.

To be sure, feelings of outsider-ness do not guarantee you'll be funny. Drug addiction contributed to performances by Bruce in which he was a paranoid rambler; Kaufman delighted in leaving his audiences out in the cold and openly hostile. But it's the vulnerability that contributed to their artistry.

It seemed more than a little symbolic, in fact, that Cook was blowing up last year while Mitch Hedberg, a comedian whose following mirrored Cook's (Internet fan base, transcendent rock-star aura), died of a drug overdose in a New Jersey motel. Onstage, Hedberg cut an odd Kurt Cobain-like figure — tall, skinny, beatnik clothes, hair over his eyes. He talked in idiosyncratic, absurdist mumbles ("I tried to walk into a Target, but I missed"; "I don't own a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks (things)") and was afraid to lock eyes with the audience. He feared the very thing at which Cook excels — tearing down the wall between the audience and himself but he loved that which Cook doesn't: the economy, the importance, of words.

Hedberg's memorial was held at the Friars Club in Beverly Hills; half a dozen comics eulogized him, and it was odd, the sight of them reduced to tears, or trying to reduce themselves, insofar as comedians can feel for one another. Nobody deplored the drug habit that had claimed Hedberg's life. It was understood, at least among his peers, that Hedberg's act would not have existed without his demons. It's what you figure about Dave Chappelle, who walked away from a $50-million Comedy Central deal to hide away in South Africa. Or Drake Sather, a comedian and writer ("The Larry Sanders Show," "Zoolander") who on March 3, 2004, shot himself to death in his downtown loft. "On the wall above the head of the bed are multiple notes," the coroner's report reads, in part. "These notes are to the police officers and crime scene photographers and coroner staff. Many of the notes are humorous comments about suicide and the end of life."

Committed to keeping in touch

"You know, Dane … we put the first episode of 'Tourgasm' up on iTunes, and it became the No. 1 podcast — the No. 1 downloaded podcast almost instantly," HBO Chairman Chris Albrecht told the press in July. "So his audience is an important audience, I think, to the future of HBO, which is, who are the subscribers coming into the category, who are the young people that might want to subscribe. And for them, having Dane is very important."

Not long ago, I signed up to get e-mail alerts for Cook's "Dane-casts" — the news about his life and career that Cook uploads onto his website.

"Everybody's saying, 'Dane, what's going on, "Tourgasm" is coming to a close,' " Cook said on July 23, from a hotel room in Vancouver, Canada, where he was shooting a movie.

"You gotta watch tonight," he said, "I go back and visit my high school, where I graduated from. And it's pretty — and it's pretty touching. Very unexpected things happened when I went back to Arlington High School."

He then responded to some e-mail, some of which had to do with the death of his mother July 3 from cancer.

"The support from everybody has just been really incredible," he said. "It's new. It's a new thing for me to be dealing with, but I'm really OK."

As he went through more e-mails, a song by Weezer came on his iPod. "IPod shuffle's being good to me today," he said. "A couple more of these and then I gotta split, I gotta vamoose, gotta study my lines for tomorrow."

This is, for now, the Cook legacy: He signals the end of the comedian as we knew him — reclusive, angry, socially awkward, anguished, self-defeating.

Negative.

will_5198
Charter member
63070 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 05:32 AM

11. "his first CD was really funny"
In response to Reply # 0

the second one was grating

so I'm lukewarm

--------

dro
Charter member
7201 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 08:08 AM

14. "i thought this part was a good observation:"
In response to Reply # 0

"The SuFi, in fact, embodies the appeal of Dane Cook. Short for "Superfinger," it arose from a skit about Cook's quest for an upgraded version of giving someone the finger -- with the thumb, middle finger and ring finger extended. The emptiness of the gesture sums up the frat-boy camaraderie among Cook's fans, and his popularity among college students. In college, after all, jokes aren't really jokes at all, they're just code words for shared experiences. It's considered funny to refer to Burger King as "The BK Lounge" or to refer to a sandwich as a "sangwich" (we did this when I was in school, and Cook uses both terms often). And there's always a code for "You just got dissed!" (Burn, see ya, smell ya later, doh) and a code for "Rock on!" (sweet, dude, party, hell yeah)"

and maybe writers should leave it at that. he's an entertainer more than a comedian, really, although he's billed as otherwise. he saw a segment that he seems to fit into, a segment that didn't really have a comedian, although it has plenty of tv shows, and he zeroes in on it. a brilliant business move. most college kids do just look to have 4 great years and not much more, and dane's brand of humor fits in nicely. sorry that it doesn't critique shit or is particularly smart or fits nicely into patterns traditional comedy fans can appreciate, but i don't think dane really cares.

it was said earlier, but this article is preaching to the choir basically.

peace
mike

PlanetInfinite
Charter member
126185 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 11:16 AM

16. "maybe that's why people like him."
In response to Reply # 0

it's low brow and you don't need to have a thesaurus or almanac with you in order to get the punchline.

dude knows his audience. he goes for it.
i like him.
i also like more intellectual fare.

i love when i read articles like this because you NEVER hear about this when people blow up. hate on paper.

---------------------
the ultimate girl gamer.
http://www.myspace.com/thievinstealberg
http://stereoptics.blogspot.com

CMcMurtry
Member since Nov 28th 2002
17053 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 01:03 PM

17. "I think that's exactly what the article is saying"
In response to Reply # 16

>it's low brow and you don't need to have a thesaurus or
>almanac with you in order to get the punchline.

mmmBop
Member since Mar 10th 2003
1183 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 03:26 PM

23. "Fact is, there is much more talented doing the same type of humor"

But since he is young, and hip, he sells and frat boys and sorority girls love him.

Louis CK deals with the same subject matter, except way funnier.

dro
Charter member
7201 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 03:40 PM

25. "yeah, but thats like saying louis ck: dc :: the roots : kanye"
In response to Reply # 23
Sun Sep-03-06 03:41 PM by dro

or whoever have you.

its the classic underground/"respected" artist vs. popular artist of the day argument, but this time in comedy and not music.

i guess some comedy fans view of comedy hasn't caught up with their view on music. not that one is necessarily better and you need to shun the other, but to accept both as coexisting and accept it as part of the business.

peace
mike

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 09:17 PM

28. "what punchline?"

the guy nevergets to one. I watched tourgasm a couple times. he's just not funny, is he really trying to tlel jhokes? cuz if he is, he's failing.

FREE CHAI VANG!

YOU'VE READ MY FILE NIGGA (c) Jack 'Mufuckin' Bauer

http://rjcc.stumbleupon.com - what I'm looking at

www.hdbeat.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Mr Mystery
Charter member
5104 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 06:33 PM

26. "i am down with that"
In response to Reply # 0

i have watched him and listened to albums and i just dont get it. i mean he's a funny guy. but he's roommate funny. and he's real spastic. but i never find myself grinning by his wit or laughing my ass off. but i think his relatibility and safeness is definitely the draw. and for young white guys turned off by all the political commentary it works.

i just think there are so many better comedians. but maybe he'll get better. and yes tourgasm was the worst thing on hbo since the mind of a married man.

God is my Bodyguard!

Torn between saturday night and early sunday morn, I don't know i'm somewhere stuck in between(tween)!-Dre 3000

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 09:11 PM

27. "And here I thought I had that blocked from my memory"
In response to Reply # 26

>i just think there are so many better comedians. but maybe
>he'll get better. and yes tourgasm was the worst thing on hbo
>since the mind of a married man.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

JRennolds
Charter member
17029 posts
Sun Sep-03-06 09:38 PM

29. "Tourgasm was unbearable!"
In response to Reply # 0

Dane Cook is whack!

GOMD

Morehouse
Member since Feb 25th 2003
7568 posts
Tue Sep-05-06 10:55 AM

30. "i found many parts of it rather funny, but i'm no critic..."
In response to Reply # 0

either you laugh or you don't.

myself is sculptor of
your body’s idiom:
the musician of your wrists;
the poet who is afraid
only to mistranslate
a rhythm in your hair...
-E.E. Cummings

MC Rucifee at work
Member since Jan 11th 2005
1356 posts
Thu Sep-07-06 06:13 AM

32. "Dane Cook is very, very funny"
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry if you don't like him, but that is the fact.

As for the article, taking some lines out of context is like summing up Dave Chappelle as:

"Nigger!" (hoots and gaffaws)
"Bitch!" (enormous laughs)

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Thu Sep-07-06 07:24 AM

33. "I thought Tourgasm was pretty lame..."
In response to Reply # 0

...which I think had more to do with the general suckiness of the other comedians. I think I watched it just to see how much of a b*tch those guys were. Dane appeared to be the most level-headed guy in the group.

But I just happened to catch the last 30 minutes of Vicious Circle, and me and the wife were cracking up. It is what it is, nothing to get worked up about at all.

--------------------

blah blah blah

dmax4life
Member since May 13th 2005
264 posts
Thu Sep-07-06 11:42 AM

34. "RE: I thought Tourgasm was pretty lame..."
In response to Reply # 33

Listened to Retaliation & thought it was awful. I peeped it off of Quest's co-sign. First time dude steered me wrong but I just didn't laugh. Whenever I've heard good comedy albums, I have laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair. Not with this Dane Cook. He's just not funny to me.

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Thu Sep-07-06 12:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
35. "Most of Vicous Circle wasn't very good"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't care what you're like at the movies.

But the arguing with your girlfriend shit was funny.

---
Refusing to Let Go:
OkayBlowhards Champ 2004

---

http://www.imageyenation.com/

Shinri
Member since Dec 04th 2002
1099 posts
Thu Sep-07-06 01:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
36. "He's no Henny Youngman"
In response to Reply # 0

My Ol Dirty Ipod playlist:

Snakes
The Stomp
Brooklyn Zoo
Shimmy Shimmy Ya
Shame on a Nigga
Rawhide
M.C Conditioner
Dog Shit
Ghetto Superstar