Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #148688

Subject: ""Successful Black People" movie rant" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
serena_love
Charter member
3404 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 10:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
""Successful Black People" movie rant"

With another release of a "look-at-the-successful-black-people" movie in 'Something New' I'm itching for a rant.

I'm so sick of these "look at all these black people...so successful" ass movies! We're not all successful, we're broke, goin to school, raising kids, marrying and divorcing! I know we want to escape but not in EVERY damn movie about us. The movies about poor or regular people likin the last 10 years are usually cooning comedy or just shitty movies. Eff that shit why can't we have regular everyday people in a movie!

I will admit there are alot of exceptions but it doesn't seem like any in the last 15 years. Ever since 'Soul Food', everything has been soul food! Successful black people living their lives! With the same damn actors over and over! How many times have Sanaa and Gabrielle played the "successful black woman" how many times has Morris and Blair played the "successful black man"? Typecasting us as something more positive is still TYPECASTING!

I just want a representative of real black people. There's no way in hell you and all your successful friends/sisters are EXCEEDINGLY georgous. One will be thick/fat now come on. One will have a bunch of kids. One will have a husband thats no good. One will have a bangin job, and one might work at mcdonalds. Let's get some reality into our movies!

Want an example? Love Jones. Nina wasn't even living in her own house, even though that joint was bangin. Larenz a struggling writer, Nia a struggling photographer. They didn't drive benz's they were on a motorcycle. Their friends had a multitude of jobs and none of them was ballin like these movies show. Why can't we be ordinary people ala John Legend?

Serena

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
you got something against successful black folks?
Feb 03rd 2006
RE: you got something against successful black folks?
Feb 03rd 2006
WHERE IS THE BLACK PAUL GIAMATTI??????
Feb 03rd 2006
let's go
Feb 03rd 2006
Forest Whitaker?
Feb 03rd 2006
Bingo.
Feb 04th 2006
He doesn't play the ugly guy/loser
Feb 04th 2006
Don Cheadle isn't Hollywood attractive.
Feb 03rd 2006
      but he doesn't play the ugly parts
Feb 03rd 2006
      white people actually think Cheadle is strikingly handsome
Feb 03rd 2006
      don't tell that to my wife, or any of her friends.
Feb 03rd 2006
      Don Cheadle could get the business ANY day
Feb 04th 2006
      speak for yourself....u do not speak for me n/m
Feb 06th 2006
Here's where the buzzer sounded on your rant:
Feb 03rd 2006
RE: Here's where the buzzer sounded on your rant:
Feb 03rd 2006
I would much rather see Successful Black Actors
Feb 03rd 2006
^^ nuff said n/m
Feb 06th 2006
shut up and make a movie then
Feb 03rd 2006
i will and i may have access to one day
Feb 03rd 2006
It's just entertainment
Feb 03rd 2006
It's the anti-stereotype stereotype. see The Best Man.
Feb 03rd 2006
black people complain too much
Feb 03rd 2006
it's the extremist view of both hollywood & black writers
Feb 03rd 2006
      Hollywood black writers don't consider real people boring,
Feb 03rd 2006
           ^^^word^^^
Feb 03rd 2006
           Um, it's not like white people are all for it either
Feb 03rd 2006
                i never said they were.
Feb 03rd 2006
                     so, people didn't like million dollar baby & mystic river?
Feb 03rd 2006
                          Even if this is true
Feb 03rd 2006
                          it's true
Feb 03rd 2006
                               I should clarify
Feb 03rd 2006
                          those kinds of movies historically don't make that much money.
Feb 03rd 2006
                               RE: those kinds of movies historically don't make that much money.
Feb 03rd 2006
                                    Claudine?
Feb 03rd 2006
                                    jah. you're just wrong.
Feb 03rd 2006
                                         I wouldn't say they like shitty movies
Feb 03rd 2006
                                              thank you, actually neither one of us are wrong
Feb 03rd 2006
                                                   RE: thank you, actually neither one of us are wrong
Feb 04th 2006
                                                        RE: thank you, actually neither one of us are wrong
Feb 05th 2006
           fresh & frank's place are both critically acclaimed
Feb 03rd 2006
           They were both failures, bottom line.
Feb 04th 2006
           END OF POST! n/m
Feb 06th 2006
This post is proof that Love Jones allows you get them drawers
Feb 03rd 2006
uhm... have you seen, uh, any movies before?
Feb 04th 2006
no, it's racial.
Feb 04th 2006
"real black people".
Feb 04th 2006
What is you point?
Feb 04th 2006
Hollywood actors and writers and directors ain't 'keeping it real'
Feb 04th 2006
      Larenz's apartment was busted
Feb 04th 2006
           See, and I would remember that as I'm sitting in the barbershop
Feb 04th 2006
This is the most ass-backwards post... n/m
Feb 04th 2006
Yeah, w/e. You are officially self-acceptance handicapped.
Feb 04th 2006
i agree, but you're on the wrong site for this rant....
Feb 05th 2006
all these NEGATIVE images & u gone fix your mouth 2 complain
Feb 06th 2006
write it up..develop it...hollywood is behind on a lot of idea(l)s...
Feb 06th 2006

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 10:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "you got something against successful black folks?"
In response to Reply # 0

me, i just got something against mediocre movies, regardless of the social/financial status of their protagonists.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

serena_love
Charter member
3404 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 10:15 AM

2. "RE: you got something against successful black folks?"
In response to Reply # 1

I don't mind one or two....but damn every movie after soul food?? gimme a break.

No I got nothing against successful black people, but i do have a problem with rehashing a formula. It seems that successful black people is the formula that we're fricking stuck with. True it's better than "all black people are coons" formula but a formula none the less.

Serena

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 10:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "WHERE IS THE BLACK PAUL GIAMATTI??????"
In response to Reply # 0

Where is the ugly black actor? The day we start seeing ugly (ugly as in, not H'wood approved attractive) black actors, then you (shit, all of us) got a better shot at those real black movies. You know, someone who'll play Philip Seymour Hoffman parts.
So here's the plan, we find the ugly black actor, we make a bunch of real black movies, THEN we can make real movies that aren't based on skin color. Who's with me?

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

serena_love
Charter member
3404 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 10:41 AM

4. "let's go"
In response to Reply # 3

f'real come on!

Serena

KCPlayer21
Charter member
30076 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 11:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Forest Whitaker?"
In response to Reply # 3

<---- KCPlayer21 Jr.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86665 posts
Sat Feb-04-06 02:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
37. "Bingo."
In response to Reply # 8

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Wordman
11224 posts
Sat Feb-04-06 11:38 PM

48. "He doesn't play the ugly guy/loser"
In response to Reply # 8

He plays the "socially acceptable to have this secondary character be a black man so to keep Jesse from calling, he'll be black." Sorta like the cop in Die Hard.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

kurlyswirl
Member since Jul 13th 2002
16693 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 11:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Don Cheadle isn't Hollywood attractive."
In response to Reply # 3

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
<-------------- You need to be watching this show.

kurly's Super-Duper Awesome™ DVD Collection:
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=kurlyswirl

I be Scrobblin': http://www.last.fm/user/TasteeTreat

Wordman
11224 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 11:52 AM

12. "but he doesn't play the ugly parts"
In response to Reply # 9

You don't see him playing that Hoffman part in Happiness, or the losers parts that Steve Buscemi or Paul Giamatti play.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 02:44 PM

16. "white people actually think Cheadle is strikingly handsome"
In response to Reply # 9

which surprised me

but i've heard many white women - and men - say this

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 02:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "don't tell that to my wife, or any of her friends."
In response to Reply # 9

Injuns, PR's, and Asian Jews find him attractive.
and i live in Hollywood. West Hollywood anyway.

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13360 posts
Sat Feb-04-06 11:26 AM

40. "Don Cheadle could get the business ANY day"
In response to Reply # 9

Myself and nearly all of my friends think he is attractive as hell.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

Zorasmoon
Member since Aug 30th 2002
37997 posts
Mon Feb-06-06 12:25 AM

53. "speak for yourself....u do not speak for me n/m"
In response to Reply # 9

http://www.43things.com/person/kimluv

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 11:09 AM

5. "Here's where the buzzer sounded on your rant:"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-03-06 11:14 AM by ZooTown74

>Want an example? Love Jones.

Those characters were just as "unreal" as the others you described. And just as corny, too.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
i'm a fool to do your dirty work
oh yeah
i don't wanna do your dirty work
no more

serena_love
Charter member
3404 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 11:42 AM

10. "RE: Here's where the buzzer sounded on your rant:"
In response to Reply # 5

I don't believe so at all. They actually went on dates, dates that real black people go on. They had conversations that real black people have. Yeah they were all attractive, but they were all different kinds of attractive at least. Yeah the poetry was corny I'll admit that but this movie kept it much more real then the stuff we have now.

Serena

WirlieGirlie
Member since Nov 04th 2003
474 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 11:25 AM

6. "I would much rather see Successful Black Actors"
In response to Reply # 0

then Black actors playing bitches, hoes, gangstas, thugs, prositutes welfare mothers or junkies ANY MOTHERPHUCKIN DAY!!! So keep bringing it!

Zorasmoon
37997 posts
Mon Feb-06-06 12:12 AM

51. "^^ nuff said n/m"
In response to Reply # 6

Darryl_Licke
Member since Jun 06th 2002
70279 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 11:29 AM

7. "shut up and make a movie then"
In response to Reply # 0

take it to sundance.

but there is nothing wrong with being odd. i mean you arent inkast or adwhizz odd. - VABestBBW
Binlahab is a bitch.
I wouldn't trust okp, some of them don't even get any anymore since the Re's stopped - Anonymous OKP

serena_love
Charter member
3404 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 11:45 AM

11. "i will and i may have access to one day"
In response to Reply # 7

this is just the rant of a college student/working woman wanting to see reality in movies right now. Not 5-10 years from now when I may be able to lol.

Serena

SienaBlaze
Charter member
2596 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 12:26 PM

13. "It's just entertainment"
In response to Reply # 0

>
>I'm so sick of these "look at all these black people...so
>successful" ass movies! We're not all successful, we're broke,
>goin to school, raising kids, marrying and divorcing! I know
>we want to escape but not in EVERY damn movie about us. The
>movies about poor or regular people likin the last 10 years
>are usually cooning comedy or just shitty movies. Eff that
>shit why can't we have regular everyday people in a movie!

I'm broke, goin to school and I don't have my own family but I do help my mother out. I don't need to pay $10.00 to have the same situation mirrored back at me.

Being broke, going to school, marrying...etc. are not conditions exclusive to black people. In my office we have broke white people, broke spanish people and even a broke asian. We also have other adult learners with children that attend college (I work for Stony Brook University Hospital so there are a lot of college students).

Bottom line its just a movie. I would rather see rich black folks in the screen than I don't know a movie like State Property. Now I'm not saying I never want to see poor people on screen, I'm saying I don't want them to act like fools.

Siena Blaze

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 01:58 PM

14. "It's the anti-stereotype stereotype. see The Best Man."
In response to Reply # 0

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 02:32 PM

15. "black people complain too much"
In response to Reply # 0

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

jahlove7
Charter member
10743 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 05:08 PM

18. "it's the extremist view of both hollywood & black writers"
In response to Reply # 15

we're always either coons, thugs, hoes and con-artists or we're incredibly rich, living the upper-middle class lifestyle. hollywood (and a good number of black writers) consider the average black person to be boring, but it's been proven to be a success in both film and tv. (claudine, frank's place, sanford & son, etc.) unfortunately, nobody has broken thru with a film about the common black person.

inaugural member - okayplayer sports hall of fame.

what i'm digging right now:

chocolate butterfly - self-titled
laura jane - welcome to my planet boo
me & this japanese guy - waiting for the miracle
wade3 - dreams
tracey amos - who are we really?

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 05:27 PM

20. "Hollywood black writers don't consider real people boring,"
In response to Reply # 18

*real people* consider real people boring. Plain and simple. For further evidence, see movies like Fresh and TV shows like Frank's Place.
no more

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 05:48 PM

21. "^^^word^^^"
In response to Reply # 20
Fri Feb-03-06 05:49 PM by bignick

those movies about "real" people? black folks don't go see them.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 07:23 PM

23. "Um, it's not like white people are all for it either"
In response to Reply # 21

While you might hear more about movies like American Splendor, most of those movies do not do that well in the box office. Hell, Fresh came out a decade earlier and STILL made more money than Splendor did.

Most people view film as escape and entertainment, not art. They want to see shit blow up or funny stuff happen to outlandish people.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 07:35 PM

24. "i never said they were."
In response to Reply # 23
Fri Feb-03-06 07:36 PM by bignick

jahlove7
Charter member
10743 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 07:41 PM

25. "so, people didn't like million dollar baby & mystic river?"
In response to Reply # 24

gtfohwtbs. the fact is, most movies of average, everyday people aren't promoted by their companies. the promotion or lack of, always depends on the producer and the director. a good movie is a good movie. people will watch them if they're promoted as much as "speed" and "lethal weapon".

wade3 - dreams

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 08:02 PM

26. "Even if this is true"
In response to Reply # 25

My point stands. This isn't a problem with black audiences. That's what I was trying to convey. People seemed like they were picking on black audiences for overlooking movies like Fresh when, in reality, similar movies fair as poorly if not worse.

Although I stand by my comment that movies like Big Momma's House 2 will usually do better than films like Munich, regardless of promotion.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

jahlove7
Charter member
10743 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 08:27 PM

29. "it's true"
In response to Reply # 26

>My point stands. This isn't a problem with black audiences.
>That's what I was trying to convey. People seemed like they
>were picking on black audiences for overlooking movies like
>Fresh when, in reality, similar movies fair as poorly if not
>worse.

agreed. but there's a reason for it. not that the movie audience just doesn't like those films.

>Although I stand by my comment that movies like Big Momma's
>House 2 will usually do better than films like Munich,
>regardless of promotion.

so true. but your "big mommas house 2" comedies, action and adventure flicks have much larger budgets, so there's more at stake. that's why their companies go all out to promote them. films on everyday people on the other hand, usually have much smaller budgets so they don't get as much love in the promotion department. also, most of the producers and directors in those flicks are usually unknown by the general movie audience. it's why a flick like "eve's bayou" can be a great flick, but people are reluctant to check it because they don't know who the director is. throw in the fact that it's poorly promoted and it's almost guaranteed that it won't do well at the box office.

wade3 - dreams

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 09:06 PM

31. "I should clarify"
In response to Reply # 29

"not that the movie audience just doesn't like those films"

I didn't mean to say that people don't like those films, just that they don't go to the movie theaters to see them. Most films like that will be discovered on video or on cable. When most people go to the movies, they'd rather see a popcorn movie than an small drama.

----

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 08:10 PM

27. "those kinds of movies historically don't make that much money."
In response to Reply # 25

that's a fact.

jahlove7
Charter member
10743 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 08:22 PM

28. "RE: those kinds of movies historically don't make that much money."
In response to Reply # 27

it's only a fact in that most film companies don't take the time to promote those films. case in point: "claudine was uber-promoted when it came out, and it racked up at the box office. most films about everyday people are only promoted to a certain movie-buff audience, while action and adventure flicks are promoted across the board. it hasn't nothing to do with the film itself more than the money put behind it or the lack of.

wade3 - dreams

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 09:04 PM

30. "Claudine?"
In response to Reply # 28

I've never heard of it.

It is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Studios budget movies at what they think it will make, the niche films get smaller budgets so when it comes promotion time, the studios look and say, well we sank more money in the action film so we need to promote it more, then the action film does better.

----

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 09:14 PM

32. "jah. you're just wrong."
In response to Reply # 28

even when more critically acclaimed movies are heavily promoted--Munich, Brokeback,etc--they just don't make as much money as more popular fare.

out of the top 20 grossing movies in 2005, only one of them--Walk The Line--is what people would refer to as a serious, adult movie.

based on your logic, the studios behind Jarhead, Cinderella Man, Memoirs of a Geisha, Crash, Syriana,etc. put millions of dollars into casting and production and then just fell asleep at the wheel when it came time to promote those movies.

people like shitty movies. they like shitty movies when they star black people and when they star white people.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 09:52 PM

33. "I wouldn't say they like shitty movies"
In response to Reply # 32

I think a) most people are not as picky about their films as people who "love" film and b) I think it takes more convincing to get them to go to a drama. I have to admit, I'm the same way. I'll head out to Batman Begins or War of the Worlds a lot quicker than I would sign up to see Brokeback or Munich. In fact, I haven't seen either of them and I really doubt I will.

If someone's going for a night out or a date or a night with friends, Constant Gardener or Proof isn't going to be at the top of their list. They'll see something not quite as heavy.

On a depressing side note, besides Idlewild there really isn't much that intereted me at first glance of the upcoming movies. Not until the Summer Box Office opens. Chappelle's Block Party seems like a rental to me.

----

jahlove7
Charter member
10743 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 10:48 PM

34. "thank you, actually neither one of us are wrong"
In response to Reply # 33

it's a fact that shitty movies fare better at the box office, and it's a fact that most every people movies don't get a lot of fanfare.

wade3 - dreams

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Sat Feb-04-06 01:57 PM

42. "RE: thank you, actually neither one of us are wrong"
In response to Reply # 34

>and it's a fact that most every people movies don't get a lot
>of fanfare.

no. it's not.

jahlove7
Charter member
10743 posts
Sun Feb-05-06 08:16 PM

50. "RE: thank you, actually neither one of us are wrong"
In response to Reply # 42

if you're even suggesting that eve's bayou gets the promoting dollars that "star wars" or "lord of the rings" do, you're just insane. which makes this, "the worst reply ever".

wade3 - dreams

jahlove7
Charter member
10743 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 07:08 PM

22. "fresh & frank's place are both critically acclaimed"

and frank's place did pretty decent in the ratings. fresh wasn't promoted and advertised nearly as much as new jack city or boyz in the hood.

wade3 - dreams

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Sat Feb-04-06 12:59 AM

35. "They were both failures, bottom line."
In response to Reply # 22

I didn't say two words about critical acclaim or marketing; all of that's pretty much irrelevant. The simple fact is, these shows were presented to the public (yes, both black and white folks, SoulHonky); the fact is, both were failures. With the public. Just because Siskel and Ebert, and/or Tom Shales throw critical roses at programs doesn't mean the public's willingly going to tune in.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
oh yeah
no more

Zorasmoon
37997 posts
Mon Feb-06-06 12:26 AM

54. "END OF POST! n/m"

BrillRick
Member since Jan 05th 2005
2479 posts
Fri Feb-03-06 05:12 PM

19. "This post is proof that Love Jones allows you get them drawers"
In response to Reply # 0

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Sat Feb-04-06 02:34 AM

36. "uhm... have you seen, uh, any movies before?"
In response to Reply # 0

because that's what they're all like. White, black, or indifferent.

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Sat Feb-04-06 10:13 PM

46. "no, it's racial."
In response to Reply # 36

everything is racial.

shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Sat Feb-04-06 03:58 AM

38. ""real black people"."
In response to Reply # 0

:-/

--
the untold want by life and land ne'er granted
now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find

BISON CLASS of 97
Member since Oct 19th 2004
7295 posts
Sat Feb-04-06 11:07 AM

39. "What is you point?"
In response to Reply # 0

"I'm one of the world's great survivors. I'll always survive because I've got the right combination of wit, grit and bullshit."

© Don King

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Sat Feb-04-06 12:21 PM

41. "Hollywood actors and writers and directors ain't 'keeping it real'"
In response to Reply # 39

Except for Love Jones, which is about as real as it gets, what with its pretty poets, impeccable apartments and gear (no matter how these poets earned the money for all that pretty stuff).
oh yeah
no more

Mynoriti
Charter member
38812 posts
Sat Feb-04-06 05:32 PM

44. "Larenz's apartment was busted"
In response to Reply # 41

but I hear ya lol

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Sat Feb-04-06 06:11 PM

45. "See, and I would remember that as I'm sitting in the barbershop"
In response to Reply # 44

waiting to get a cut... lol...
oh yeah
no more

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22285 posts
Sat Feb-04-06 02:50 PM

43. "This is the most ass-backwards post... n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

Peace,

*** MARBLES ***

Indie Visual
Member since Dec 20th 2005
1168 posts
Sat Feb-04-06 10:50 PM

47. "Yeah, w/e. You are officially self-acceptance handicapped."
In response to Reply # 0

Torez
Charter member
19262 posts
Sun Feb-05-06 02:42 PM

49. "i agree, but you're on the wrong site for this rant...."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Feb-05-06 02:45 PM by Torez

most folks on here don't relate to
the 'regular black folks' you're talking
about, and give tacit acceptance to the
'superbeautiful' style black movies.
for them, fake hypersucceful black moveis
are better, because they come the closest
to validating their middle class experience.

the best 'regular black folks' movie i've
seen lately was ANTWONE FISHER, which almost
everybody black liked. the 'problem' is that
it made no attempt to market itself along
class lines, instead being content to just
be a good movie.

folks watched it, enjoyed it and k.i.m.,
never realizing that they'd just watched
a regular black movie about regular black
folks living their lives and helping folks
along the way.

<--- blowin' up the spot like
old ass plus skunk meat... (c) doom

* all comments made about women apply to the formerly single TOREZ only

Zorasmoon
37997 posts
Mon Feb-06-06 12:24 AM

52. "all these NEGATIVE images & u gone fix your mouth 2 complain"
In response to Reply # 0

about "successful black people" in film?

please tell me you're joking.

Considering the disproportionate representations
of gangstas, hustlers, pimps, hoes, bitches, STRUGGLING non-self determined victimized portrayals of black people, which is the NORM...

"successful black person" feel exactly the same way.

"Real black" people? <--I'm not even gonna get started on
fuckedupness of this remark.

btw, Big Mammies House 2 OUT-Performed Something New...thats
a tragedy in and of itself.

ju_BOOM
Member since Aug 28th 2003
15639 posts
Mon Feb-06-06 01:19 PM

55. "write it up..develop it...hollywood is behind on a lot of idea(l)s..."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #148688 Previous topic | Next topic