Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #706920

Subject: "11.22.63 (Hulu)" Previous topic | Next topic
j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Mon Apr-11-16 03:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"11.22.63 (Hulu)"

Hulu Original series 11.22.63 is a thriller in which high school English teacher Jake Epping (James Franco) travels back in time to prevent the assassination of President John F. Kennedy — but his mission is threatened by Lee Harvey Oswald, falling in love and the past itself, which doesn’t want to be changed. Also starring Chris Cooper, Josh Duhamel, T.R. Knight, Cherry Jones, Sarah Gadon, Lucy Fry, George MacKay and Daniel Webber. The eight-part event series based upon the New York Times best-selling 2011 novel written by Stephen King premieres Presidents Day, Feb. 15, 2016, on Hulu. J.J. Abrams, Stephen King, Bridget Carpenter and Bryan Burk serve as executive producers. Academy Award®-winning Director Kevin Macdonald (Last King of Scotland, State of Play, Black Sea) directs and executive produces the first two hours.

Official Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXUx__qQGew

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
the book is fantastic. Franco isn't Jake though.
Jan 11th 2016
Loved the book. Agree on Franco, but I'm still hyped
Jan 19th 2016
      Bevie from the levie, Richie from the ditchie
Feb 20th 2016
Guess I gotta do a free trial of Hulu for a week and binge this.....
Jan 15th 2016
Ep 1 - The Rabbit Hole...
Feb 16th 2016
1st ep was okay
Feb 18th 2016
I was ready to hate Franco....
Feb 19th 2016
I guess JJ is trying to make sure we binge watch this afterall
Feb 20th 2016
I'm totally in, good start
Feb 20th 2016
RE: 11.22.63 (Hulu)
Feb 23rd 2016
So one Ep left
Mar 31st 2016
Blah....
Apr 05th 2016
Read the book fam. Its fantastic. A masterpiece, actually. A top 5 King ...
Apr 06th 2016
      yes please do!
Apr 07th 2016
           I'll hit you with an inbox tonight
Apr 07th 2016
fuck this show was disappointing
Apr 06th 2016
The show is a soulless, affectionless take on the novel fam
Apr 06th 2016
      Thanks for the clarification and I yea that would be great.
Apr 07th 2016
This is trash. Too many unnecessary changes and added plotlines
Apr 06th 2016
Last episode nailed it
Apr 07th 2016

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44997 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 02:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "the book is fantastic. Franco isn't Jake though. "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-11-16 02:52 AM by Cold Truth

8 parts is also a little disappointing. I was hoping for 12-13 episodes. That probably sounds odd but this story is fairly dense and a lot of trimming will have to be done, likely on the character side the Kennedy assassination actually feels like the secondary story in the book despite serving as the central motive of the story.

I hope the show keeps the references to It but I have a feeling that will wind up on the cutting room floor, which would be a shame. For what it's worth I think It and The Stand would both be better served with a long form episodic format than movies, even if they break them into pieces.

All in all this is probably my 3rd favorite King book and Jake and Sadie both are very well written characters so I suppose I was bound to hate the casting of this. Obviously I have to wait and see what's what but Franco just isn't Jake in any way to me. I was pretty disappointed when I first found out about his casting.

Someone like Kyle Chandler seems like a far better fit for that role. Frankly Matthew Mcconaughey would have been perfect.

bski
Member since Jun 09th 2002
12115 posts
Tue Jan-19-16 10:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Loved the book. Agree on Franco, but I'm still hyped"
In response to Reply # 1

What are the It references? I've never read the book but watched the miniseries back in the day.

http://twitter.com/collazo

Cold Truth
44997 posts
Sat Feb-20-16 01:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Bevie from the levie, Richie from the ditchie"
In response to Reply # 3

He spends some time in Derry. Plus he comes across It directly in the Standpipe. He senses a very sinister presence inviting him and it chills him to the bone.

He also comes across Christine. If I remember correctly someone has a Fury and he senses something up with the car as well.

KCPlayer21
Charter member
30076 posts
Fri Jan-15-16 10:33 AM

2. "Guess I gotta do a free trial of Hulu for a week and binge this....."
In response to Reply # 0

We the children of the Light, you know what I mean?
That's why I'm hating on the darkness like Paula Deen
Cause in my hood they masked up like it's Halloween
We going hard for the Rock, but we not some fiends
- Andy Mineo

KnowOne
Charter member
39952 posts
Tue Feb-16-16 08:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Ep 1 - The Rabbit Hole..."
In response to Reply # 0

I never read the book so I came into this blind. Love the plot, and the fact they dont waste time trying to explain why/how the time travel is possible. Surprisingly Franco didnt bother me as much as I thought he would either. Im on board! It just kills me that you cant binge watch it. Netflix has us spoiled.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

bski
Member since Jun 09th 2002
12115 posts
Thu Feb-18-16 03:44 PM

5. "1st ep was okay"
In response to Reply # 0

Surprised Franco didn't really bother me.

Didn't like the way he immediately started on the George De Molrenshmidt stuff already. Seems rushed. There was so much he did in the book before that...

http://twitter.com/collazo

KnowOne
Charter member
39952 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 09:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I was ready to hate Franco...."
In response to Reply # 5

but he's not bothering me at all. Then again I didnt read the book so I dont have an existing image of who/how the character should be.

Cold Truth
44997 posts
Sat Feb-20-16 01:04 AM

7. "I guess JJ is trying to make sure we binge watch this afterall"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Feb-20-16 01:15 AM by Cold Truth

Seeing as how he's trying to beat us unconscious with this fucking thing. I dunno who the fuck wrote this episode but I don't like the direction this is headed.

The most glaring issue here is the whole "you shouldn't be here".

The past not wanting to be changed and becoming a serious threat to Jake is a massive presence in the book.

The book plays this as an artful dance, yet the show somehow turns it into a comparative mosh pit.

You shouldn't be here.
You shouldn't be here.
You shouldn't be here.
You shouldn't be here.
You shouldn't be here.

Yeah. Got it. Thanks, JJ. Noted. Real deft hand with a light touch you got there. Instead of weaving the Yellow Card man into this with a little discipline you fucking carpet bomb him into every scene. Great job, Bay Jr.

alright.

They crammed way too much into this. I had a feeling this was going to trim some fat and focus squarely on the Kennedy assassination and that's fine, but it's a missed opportunity to go so hard IMO. How the fuck are they going to build to that climax if this is the pace? There are obvious ways to slow it down from here a bit and I'm hoping that's the case. We'll see.

-I strongly dislike Franco. So many of his mannerisms just don't work. The sidelong looks he gives look comical. He delivers several lines that fall flat. He doesn't emote well. He's just a bad fit for this IMO.

-I hate Chris Cooper but yeah, that's Al. He's perfect.

-We'll see what's up with Sadie. She's a very well written character in the book. Hopefully they avoid some of the hokier aspects of her story. I'm going to snap if that goddamned broom makes the cut lol.

-They fucking ruined the gambling arc.

It's a mess. Not terrible, but a narrative mess. I might have a different take on this if I didn't harbor genuine affection for the slow burn of the book. There are at least four events in this one episode that could have been credibly used to close out the episode AND three others.

It just feels like they condensed things in the same way a new jack utilizes compression in recording, making things loud and bombastic all the while oblivious to the fact that all the dynamics of the rest of the mix have been buried under those totally crushing John Bonham snares, man. This could have easily been an 18 episode miniseries that moved at a nice pace with some interesting spikes in the midst of the character stuff but nope.

I'll watch it because I'm a mark for the story. I don't need this to be a visual replica of the book but this is not a good approach IMO.

There's only one element that I need to be 100% faithful to the book, and that's the final scene. If they keep that intact I'll give them a pass for this clusterfuck of an opener.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Sat Feb-20-16 06:53 PM

9. "I'm totally in, good start"
In response to Reply # 0

May need to rewatch

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

KnowOne
Charter member
39952 posts
Tue Feb-23-16 08:50 AM

10. "RE: 11.22.63 (Hulu)"
In response to Reply # 0

second ep wasnt as strong as the first to me. But still had a few really good moments.

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Thu Mar-31-16 03:54 PM

11. "So one Ep left"
In response to Reply # 0

where is everyone at with this?

I'm haven't read any spoilers, so I'm really curious to see what happens

and the scene with that yellow card hat dude who seems is also a time traveler was pretty cool.

I love time travel shit, so i'm eating this up.

If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

KnowOne
Charter member
39952 posts
Tue Apr-05-16 10:55 AM

12. "Blah...."
In response to Reply # 0

nice neat ending. But over all this show was only okay. Had some moments I really liked. But as a whole was only average.

Cold Truth
44997 posts
Wed Apr-06-16 02:58 PM

15. "Read the book fam. Its fantastic. A masterpiece, actually. A top 5 King ..."
In response to Reply # 12

I have it top 3 but that's me and I'm still haven't read a good chunk of his bibliography.

I can shoot you a copy of the audiobook of you want.

KnowOne
Charter member
39952 posts
Thu Apr-07-16 08:00 AM

17. "yes please do!"
In response to Reply # 15

Thanks fam!

Cold Truth
44997 posts
Thu Apr-07-16 10:16 AM

18. "I'll hit you with an inbox tonight"
In response to Reply # 17

walihorse
16125 posts
Wed Apr-06-16 10:34 AM

13. "fuck this show was disappointing"
In response to Reply # 0

*spoilers* but really who gives a fuck!

It was a love story at the end. All this time travel fictiony shit, and no clarification on what caused things to go to shit.

Why was it that he succeeded and the yellow card hat dude didn't.

Why was it the whole time Sadie who would always die and make the world go to shit?

If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

Cold Truth
44997 posts
Wed Apr-06-16 05:27 PM

16. "The show is a soulless, affectionless take on the novel fam"
In response to Reply # 13

>It was a love story at the end.

To be fair, the book was the same way. Sadie was a significant part of the story and they actually got that right for the most part. The problem is the failure of the surrounding story to put this relationship in its proper context.

>All this time travel fiction
>shit, and no clarification on what caused things to go to
>shit.

The book lays out a more detailed sequence of events. They could have easily cut & pasted Harry’s recollection of events word for word and explained this so much better. The explanation also works better if they told the story better from the beginning. Details aside, the ultimate reason is pretty simple: Jake was fucking around with things he didn’t understand in the slightest and caused things to become highly unstable.

Again, had they told the story better, this would make more sense. The book breaks down the entire sequence of events and there’s enough detail that JJ and Bridgett could have spent two more episodes doing nothing but telling this story.

>Why was it that he succeeded and the yellow card hat dude
>didn't.

I don’t even know what they were trying to do there. This might be the most egregious error of the entire thing because the Yellow Card Man is critical. He only pops up a few times but he’s the key to making sense of everything. Even the color of the card is of some importance.

>Why was it the whole time Sadie who would always die and make
>the world go to shit?

Without spoiling too much of this, that portal isn’t quite the “reset” button Al thinks it is. Al thought each trip was the first time, every time, but that isn’t exactly the case. It resets but leaves a “residue” of some kind.

Each time Al went back, he created a new “string”. The changes Al made to these strings were relatively minor so the damage to those strings was minor but Jake was making major changes and that made things incredibly unstable.

Where Al was a butterfly dipping it’s wing on an ocean and causing slight ripples, Jake was taking a running start doing cannonballs and fucking everything up. The Yellow Card man is basically a watcher of that portal and he basically has to hold each of those new strings in his head. Each of those strings presented a series of images of possible futures, which changed based on the changes made within that string. Each trip back was a rest but it also leaves that residue, so to speak, and if the ‘machine’, or universe, is filled with too much of this ‘residue’…… it may just shut down all together.

So Jake is basically fucking with the foundations of reality itself and has put existence itself in grave danger.

Again, everything between Jake saving JFK to his return to the present and these revelations about what’s really going on to the ending could have been done over the course of two episodes….but they failed the story from the first episode so a lot of this wouldn’t have worked.

The book is magnificent and this show wasn’t trash because it didn’t stay true, this show was trash because it failed in all the details that made the book great. I highly recommend it and if you like I can shoot you a copy of the audiobook, which is very well produced.

walihorse
16125 posts
Thu Apr-07-16 02:25 PM

19. "Thanks for the clarification and I yea that would be great. "
In response to Reply # 16

Its just that the build up and the climax seemed totally off.

Cold Truth
44997 posts
Wed Apr-06-16 02:54 PM

14. "This is trash. Too many unnecessary changes and added plotlines"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-06-16 02:59 PM by Cold Truth

More to the point, too many changes and addedplotlines that aren't any good and added nothing to the story.

I went through ep 3 and tapped out.

I picked it back up this morning and I'm on ep 6 and nah. No. Nope. The book was perfect as is. It's a long book and they needed to trim some things from the book to fit 8 episodes but not add or substitute things. Its a mess.

I don't want to spoil anything but the book is a strong candidate for Kings GOAT. It's definitely in that top five mix.

This did not do justice to such a well crafted masterpiece and frankly doesn't look like they tried.

Its a steaming POS.

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Thu Apr-07-16 10:39 PM

20. "Last episode nailed it "
In response to Reply # 0

This was a love story

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #706920 Previous topic | Next topic