Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #463800

Subject: "So...Rowling was full of shit with that whole Quidditch thing right?" Previous topic | Next topic
Lardlad95
Member since Jul 31st 2002
66340 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 06:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"So...Rowling was full of shit with that whole Quidditch thing right?"
Wed Jul-22-09 06:47 AM by Lardlad95

I'm not a fan of Harry Potter, I don't dislike it, I just never got in to it. But I'm reading the first book to my nephew, and the whole Harry Potter universe is kinda growing on me. I read the first book when I was twelve and i remember it being a fun read then, so I'm thinking hey, maybe I'll start getting in to the series.

Well, I can't get past the whole quidditch thing...cuz u know...it doesn't make any fucking sense.

The muthafucka who catches the golden snitch gets 150 points? 150? The whole fucking game is set up to make Harry look like a hero and nothing else. Why don't they just have the game consist of a bunch of lithe/skinny muthafuckas chasing the goddamn snitch. Why do the other players need to be there? So they can accumulate what, 30pts tops?

Ok, I guess the beaters make sense if they start knocking cats off their brooms...but why do the Chasers have to be there? The game doesn't end until one team gets the fucking snitch anyway, it completely negates any contribution these cats made to the team.

European Miracle, I know you remember our debate a few years ago about Star Wars vs Harry Potter in terms of each universes' internal logic....well I'm calling bullshit on this one. I refuse to believe that a society of wizards could be so fucking stupid.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one"-Anonymous

The sharpest sword is a word spoken in wrath;the deadliest poison is covetousness;the fiercest fire is hatred; the darkest night is ignorance.-The Buddha

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's like Family Feud. Really only one element of the game matters.
Jul 22nd 2009
In the later books, she puts less emphasis on Snitch/Chasers
Jul 22nd 2009
I'll try not to let that bother...and I do mean try...
Jul 22nd 2009
It's not about winning the individual games
Jul 22nd 2009
How does that rectify the 150 pts per snitch issue?
Jul 22nd 2009
      That's just to balance out the 40 points per Prankten ruling
Jul 22nd 2009
      LOL.
Jul 22nd 2009

Jul 22nd 2009
      Thanks, it all makes sense now. I'm calling my booky up next
Jul 22nd 2009
      lmao
Jul 22nd 2009
      LOL
Jul 22nd 2009
      let's play Bamboozled! (c)Tribbiani
Jul 23rd 2009
      I can't believe we are arguing the merits of a fake game but
Jul 22nd 2009
An excellent example of why women shouldn't invent sports.
Jul 22nd 2009
I don't think you guys realise how ridiculous you all sound
Jul 22nd 2009
yeah I also didn't read or watch and am sitting here like
Jul 22nd 2009
My weed guy plays all sorts of card games...strange strange guy
Jul 22nd 2009
^^^Doesn't get that post 6 is gibberish.
Jul 22nd 2009
LMAO @ this post. I get it now why people laugh at my nerdy posts
Jul 22nd 2009
Well, I'm off to go beat my bludger.
Jul 22nd 2009
calvinball>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Jul 22nd 2009
I tried to play Calvinball once with my brothers
Jul 22nd 2009
      lmao
Jul 23rd 2009
*DIVES HEADFIRST INTO RIDICULE*
Jul 22nd 2009
Are games usually that high scoring?
Jul 22nd 2009
      No. Snitch usually wins the shit.
Jul 23rd 2009
i mean its harry potter
Jul 22nd 2009
I WILL FUCKING FUCK YOU UP
Jul 22nd 2009
      i ain't even commenting on the fakeness
Jul 22nd 2009
      I woke up some people laughing so hard at that....it's cool homie
Jul 22nd 2009

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86693 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 08:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's like Family Feud. Really only one element of the game matters."
In response to Reply # 0

The final round is so many points that unless the other team swept you and got a ton of points, there's no way you can lose if you win the final round. Same with the Snitch.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

JungleSouljah
Member since Sep 24th 2002
14987 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 09:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "In the later books, she puts less emphasis on Snitch/Chasers"
In response to Reply # 0

and more on the goal scoring aspect as Ron becomes the Keeper and Ginny becomes a striker (I can't remember their actual name).

I remember when I first read the books I thought the same thing, but the again Gryffindor never lost more than like 1 or 2 games during the six or seven years Harry played. Soooooooo... yeah. It's easier to just let some things slide.

The 4th Annual Residency Encampment: Where do we go from here?

All you see is crime in the source code.

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 09:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I'll try not to let that bother...and I do mean try..."
In response to Reply # 2

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one"-Anonymous

The sharpest sword is a word spoken in wrath;the deadliest poison is covetousness;the fiercest fire is hatred; the darkest night is ignorance.-The Buddha

Melanism
Charter member
20453 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 09:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "It's not about winning the individual games"
In response to Reply # 0

Teams are ranked by total points scored so every point you get counts at the end of the Quidditch season.

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 09:47 AM

4. "How does that rectify the 150 pts per snitch issue?"
In response to Reply # 3

Big Chief Rumbletummy
Member since Jan 31st 2006
2005 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 10:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "That's just to balance out the 40 points per Prankten ruling"
In response to Reply # 4

Or 45.6 points per Double Golden Prankten ruling. But that's only during "Sudden Double Spankey Time", when two teams are tied after the 4th Giggledinger. However if the team's goalie is left-handed and cannot swim, then "Sudden Double Spankey Time" doesn't happen and Sir Edmund Buxleton Wimsley-upon-Avershire's rules apply and the whole game is called off in favor of a big spaghetti dinner.

See? Simple, really.

©

BUNG BUNG BUNG!!!
Ya bell went RUNG RUNG RUNG!!!

pikon
Member since Oct 21st 2008
1352 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 01:54 PM

14. "LOL."
In response to Reply # 6

-

run hills + drink coffee + live well
@caffeinetherapy

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 01:55 PM

15. ""
In response to Reply # 6

-----------------------------
http://talestosuffice.com/
@kennykeil

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 02:27 PM

17. "Thanks, it all makes sense now. I'm calling my booky up next"
In response to Reply # 6

chance I get...I'm putting everything on Ravenclaw this year!

The European Miracle
Member since Oct 30th 2008
3496 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 09:33 PM

20. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 6

fka nope

icecold21
Member since Jan 18th 2008
8433 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 11:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 6

FortifiedLive
Member since Dec 26th 2006
9984 posts
Thu Jul-23-09 09:23 AM

28. "let's play Bamboozled! (c)Tribbiani"
In response to Reply # 6

<<progressions.

Melanism
Charter member
20453 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 10:43 AM

8. "I can't believe we are arguing the merits of a fake game but"
In response to Reply # 4

Yes, the points for grabbing the snitch is heavily-weighted but it does not reduce the significance of scoring when it comes down to the end. Say every team won one match, it would come down to how many goals the teams scored, right?

-------------------
"Music has been my outlet, my gift to all of the lovers in this world. Through it — my music, I know I will live forever." - Michael Jackson (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009)

http://blog.melanism.com
http://twitter.com/Melanism

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6741 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 10:36 AM

7. "An excellent example of why women shouldn't invent sports."
In response to Reply # 0

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

chief1284
Member since Nov 08th 2004
3003 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 10:59 AM

9. "I don't think you guys realise how ridiculous you all sound"
In response to Reply # 0

at least to someone like me who's never read any of the books or watched the films. The best comparison I can think of is 12 year olds swapping magic cards in the playground.

Still it's probably me just missing out really. I have a natural aversion to all things Harry Potter, but I realise that EVERYBODY who's read it likes it.

------------------------------------------------------------

Check my man Lao at www.myspace.com/lazzriel

Rjcc
Charter member
95037 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 11:05 AM

10. "yeah I also didn't read or watch and am sitting here like"
In response to Reply # 9

"..."

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 11:53 AM

11. "My weed guy plays all sorts of card games...strange strange guy"
In response to Reply # 9

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49576 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 01:10 PM

13. "^^^Doesn't get that post 6 is gibberish."
In response to Reply # 9

"Play Your Game" (c) Stan Van Gundy

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 01:04 PM

12. "LMAO @ this post. I get it now why people laugh at my nerdy posts"
In response to Reply # 0

http://twitter.com/Balisong
http://www.myspace.com/insightclopediabrown
http://www.myspace.com/dumhi
http://www.youtube.com/group/okayplayer
http://www.last.fm/user/Dawgeatah

pikon
Member since Oct 21st 2008
1352 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 02:03 PM

16. "Well, I'm off to go beat my bludger."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.collegeslackers.com/video/snl:_harry_potter

-

run hills + drink coffee + live well
@caffeinetherapy

duD
Member since Jul 06th 2003
19709 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 02:55 PM

18. "calvinball>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"
In response to Reply # 0

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> quidditch

JungleSouljah
Member since Sep 24th 2002
14987 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 04:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "I tried to play Calvinball once with my brothers"
In response to Reply # 18

They didn't understand the rules. I won 1286^e to Q.

The 4th Annual Residency Encampment: Where do we go from here?

All you see is crime in the source code.

happytrees
Member since Jun 20th 2008
590 posts
Thu Jul-23-09 12:18 PM

29. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 19

I thought it was just a two player game?

--------------
the revolution won't have any distribution

The European Miracle
3496 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 09:41 PM

21. "*DIVES HEADFIRST INTO RIDICULE*"
In response to Reply # 0

So check it...the points are the thing, not the W so much. So let's say Ravenclaw scores 140 through goals but Gryffindor gets the snitch for 150. Overall, it's not that bad a loss, because that's a 10 point difference. If Ravenclaw just HAD to have those 10 points in the cup, then yeah, it's a big deal. But just being a loss? Not horrible. Plus, getting the snitch doesn't promise a win. If you're getting your ass beat by more than 150 points, and you see the snitch...do you catch it? You might just take the other team's seeker on a wild snitch chase, hoping to create pandemonium amongst the teams and crowd, which may or may not help your team catch up.

Now, your boy Viktor Krum ended a game on an L by catching the snitch once time because his team was just getting stomped out, and he didn't want the other team getting all those points.

So the snitch doesn't WIN the game, necessarily, it just ends the game.

Here's the wiki entry

Chasers score by sending the red, football-sized Quaffle through any of the three goal hoops. Each goal scored is worth ten points. After a goal is scored, the Keeper of the team scored upon throws the Quaffle back into play. Capturing the Snitch earns the Seeker's team 150 points, equivalent to 15 goals scored by Chasers. Since the game ends immediately after the Snitch is caught, the team capturing the Snitch is very likely to win the game. However, teams are ranked according to points scored, not games won. For example, at Hogwarts, the team with the most total points at the end of the year wins the Quidditch Cup. There are only two occasions in the books when the team that catches the Snitch loses: once during the Quidditch World Cup, when Viktor Krum of Bulgaria catches the Snitch, and once when Ginny Weasley replaces Harry as Seeker after he has been banned by Dolores Umbridge.

fka nope

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 11:37 PM

27. "Are games usually that high scoring?"
In response to Reply # 21

The European Miracle
3496 posts
Thu Jul-23-09 10:33 PM

30. "No. Snitch usually wins the shit. "
In response to Reply # 27

Honestly, Rowling could've gotten a lot more detail and color out of the quidditch stuff, but she woulda had to get really intricate, and it's really only there to bring things out of the characters while giving the wizarding world a big-ass soccer experience.

fka nope

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 10:03 PM

22. "i mean its harry potter"
In response to Reply # 0

it ain't nothing more than giving kids books and books of one nobody achieving monumental importance and winning.

http://tinyurl.com/kw7zft

The European Miracle
3496 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 10:19 PM

23. "I WILL FUCKING FUCK YOU UP"
In response to Reply # 22

HARRY POTTER IS REAL LIFE AND I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU

fka nope

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 10:50 PM

24. "i ain't even commenting on the fakeness"
In response to Reply # 23

j.k. rowling was a fucking genius for frontloading the bad shit in harry's life so she could justify him ending up on top.

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Wed Jul-22-09 11:34 PM

25. "I woke up some people laughing so hard at that....it's cool homie"
In response to Reply # 23

I almost clocked a guy over star wars once....

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #463800 Previous topic | Next topic