Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #743838

Subject: "Ms. Marvel (Season 1?)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8625 posts
Tue Mar-15-22 09:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ms. Marvel (Season 1?)"

Gonna lead directly into The Marvels (aka Captain Marvel 2)

https://youtu.be/m9EX0f6V11Y

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Digging the trailer
Mar 15th 2022
This is what it's going to take to make Captain Marvel fun
Mar 15th 2022
That gives a vibe that the powers come from bands.
Mar 16th 2022
A lot of the Inhumans mythos are kinda wack
Mar 16th 2022
      I wouldn't say C-list
Mar 16th 2022
           I'm talking about the comics.
Jun 08th 2022
Episode 1
Jun 08th 2022
it was fun
Jun 09th 2022
Impressive if they can keep up this visual style
Jun 09th 2022
wayyyyyy Fun....
Jun 12th 2022
Texting with her friend did seem like SP.
Jun 13th 2022
Iman Vellani is a star...
Jun 16th 2022
I think I love this show more as...
Jul 03rd 2022
100% agree...
Jul 15th 2022
I'm enjoying the show
Jul 07th 2022
Spoiler for last episode......
Jul 13th 2022
RE: Spoiler for last episode......
Jul 13th 2022
They jsut added it
Jul 13th 2022
i spoiled it for myself
Jul 15th 2022
Overall, I loved it. (Spoiler questions)
Jul 13th 2022
i think it was really good
Jul 15th 2022
Loved it
Jul 13th 2022
I enjoyed it
Jul 14th 2022
Finally saw this. Really liked most of it.
Oct 24th 2022

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5183 posts
Tue Mar-15-22 09:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Digging the trailer"
In response to Reply # 0

it just warmed my rather cold heart. I'm in

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52638 posts
Tue Mar-15-22 11:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "This is what it's going to take to make Captain Marvel fun"
In response to Reply # 0

So be it.

---
Love,
Nopayne

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23899 posts
Wed Mar-16-22 07:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "That gives a vibe that the powers come from bands."
In response to Reply # 0

And not the terrigen mists. They are so ashamed of their (previous) TV shit, lol.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44969 posts
Wed Mar-16-22 12:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "A lot of the Inhumans mythos are kinda wack"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed Mar-16-22 01:00 PM by Cold Truth

There's some interesting shit in there, and some nice powers and whatnot, but it's largely a C-list canon overall, IMO.

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5183 posts
Wed Mar-16-22 02:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I wouldn't say C-list "
In response to Reply # 4

It just wasn't handled well by the studio folks (I see you Agents of SHEILD and Inhumans tv series).

Personally, I would've preferred an Inhumans film over Eternals and Marvel has done a great job comics-wise to bring the Inhumans to the forefront of their comic series.

But because they were introduced terribly via the tv shows, I see why they're going with the bands instead of Tiergen Mist. They'll probably wait a bit before revisiting the Inhumans.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44969 posts
Wed Jun-08-22 09:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "I'm talking about the comics. "
In response to Reply # 5

A lot of it is just.... eh

JFrost1117
23899 posts
Wed Jun-08-22 03:15 AM

6. "Episode 1"
In response to Reply # 0

Pretty fun intro. In a cynical view, it’ll probably be a “You were always powerful without powers” type thing in the end.

Caught a few “Uhhh, that’s definitely Atlanta” like the Hawkeye car chase sequence.

Stay for the post-credits scene.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16421 posts
Thu Jun-09-22 11:39 AM

8. "it was fun"
In response to Reply # 6

i was basically unaware about this show. im sure i saw it announced as part of their however many shows at some point but i had no idea it came out yesterday. so i had not seen a trailer or read anything about it.

the intro instantly set a spider man type tone with the music. i wasnt expecting such a long episode but i enjoyed it. i hope i stay interested in this one. i think ive been 50/50 on the disney+ shows overall.

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6741 posts
Thu Jun-09-22 12:02 PM

9. "Impressive if they can keep up this visual style"
In response to Reply # 6

Cast is all really good so far. They had so many inventive shots in the first episode that obviously required a lot of planning. Will be cool if they keep that same energy for the rest of the series.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3442 posts
Sun Jun-12-22 06:07 PM

10. "wayyyyyy Fun...."
In response to Reply # 0

the main actress, Iman Vellani, NAILS her part, her delivery & comic timing is perfect imo. she's killin it. (My wife told me she heard this was her 1st acting role? if so, she's a natural)

if the rest of this series is as goofy & fun as this (some nods to the Scott Pilgrim movie as far as some creative inspirations), then im all in.

JFrost1117
23899 posts
Mon Jun-13-22 09:35 AM

11. "Texting with her friend did seem like SP."
In response to Reply # 10

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3442 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 07:01 AM

12. "Iman Vellani is a star..."
In response to Reply # 0

She is really amazing in this...knocking it outta the park. It could be a combo of her skills + perfect casting/perfect-fit-role, sure, but regardless imo, a star is born.

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Sun Jul-03-22 01:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "I think I love this show more as..."
In response to Reply # 0

...a teen dramedy about a young muslim girl and her family than I do as a Marvel show. Like, this cast and the representation of the family and community is its strength. Iman Vellani better have a great agent, because she deserves to do WORK after this. That this is her first role and she found out about it and auditioned based off of a WhatsApp message from a relative is fucking incredible. Shout out to Marvel for recognizing how good she is and that she could hold down this role.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3442 posts
Fri Jul-15-22 01:23 PM

23. "100% agree..."
In response to Reply # 13

>RE: I think I love this show more as......a teen dramedy about a young muslim girl and her family
>than I do as a Marvel show. Like, this cast and the
>representation of the family and community is its strength.
>Iman Vellani better have a great agent, because she deserves
>to do WORK after this. That this is her first role and she
>found out about it and auditioned based off of a WhatsApp
>message from a relative is fucking incredible. Shout out to
>Marvel for recognizing how good she is and that she could hold
>down this role.>

i too found that i REALLY wanted to spend more time with her FAMILY and community (the entire cast is amazing & their chemistry is legit endearing. I just liked hanging with them). The superhero stuff was fine, but like you said, the secret super strength of THIS show is the characterizations & chemistry of she & her family community. And im not mad at it for that!

mista k5
16421 posts
Thu Jul-07-22 01:23 PM

14. "I'm enjoying the show"
In response to Reply # 0

The latest episode was probably my least favorite but I was also distracted when I was watching so I had to start it over. It wasn't bad but the vibe was understandably different and there were a few jumps in the plot that could had been handled differently. Not big deals though.

Excited for the last episode.

handle
Charter member
18974 posts
Wed Jul-13-22 09:53 AM

15. "Spoiler for last episode......"
In response to Reply # 0

She's a mutant??????????????????????????? This is how mutants come to the MCU?

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

JFrost1117
23899 posts
Wed Jul-13-22 02:19 PM

16. "RE: Spoiler for last episode......"
In response to Reply # 15

I’m normally annoyed with the angry stickler nerds but now I have to be one. This is why I wanted them to commit to the Inhumans, because “mutation” and “mutant” are just tossed lightly at the end of 6 episodes of telling us it was the bangle creating hard-light and facilitating time travel.

It just feels like they have a lot of over-explaining to do before fully revealing Charles ‘nem. Are all MCU mutants descendants of people from other dimensions, or is Kamala just one of the most powerful ones ever because of her specific lineage? Are they going to be converting more powered characters into “mutants” for the fuck of it?

handle
Charter member
18974 posts
Wed Jul-13-22 02:25 PM

17. "They jsut added it"
In response to Reply # 16

It wasn't part of the original plot line.

That's why it's so weird.

https://thedirect.com/article/ms-marvel-mutant-mcu-explained

>Are they going to be converting more powered characters into “mutants” for the fuck of it?

Maybe???I mean Dr. Strange 2 had mutants and inhumans - just it was never discussed.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

mista k5
16421 posts
Fri Jul-15-22 11:39 AM

21. "i spoiled it for myself"
In response to Reply # 15

i completely forgot the last episode was on wednesday. for some reason i thought the show was over, and i was trying to find something to watch on wednesday too lol. it wasnt until i came into this post yesterday that i realized i had not seen the finale so i noped out of here.

saw a AMA on reddit with Iman and decided to read through it, still no spoilers. that is until i saw one question with a spoiler tag and i couldnt resist my curiosity lol

honestly if i had not spoiled it im not sure the reveal would had registered as a big deal to me. i might have noticed he said mutated but just taken it as some explainer and not really process that this was the first mutant reveal in the mcu. i didnt even notice the music played until i saw an explainer video after.

the captain marvel swap at the end is what made me go whaaaat

JFrost1117
23899 posts
Wed Jul-13-22 02:42 PM

18. "Overall, I loved it. (Spoiler questions)"
In response to Reply # 0

I don’t know if anything can give me that WandaVision high, but this was light and fun. A good origin and character intro that I wouldn’t have wanted to be crammed down into a single movie.

Spoiler talk and questions:

The finale was nearing the end and I was like “Damn, Brie couldn’t show up for 2 seconds?” and then she appears, lol. But, did KK shape-shift into Carol or did some new wrinkle to the magic of the bangle make her appear from wherever she was in the universe at the time?

mista k5
16421 posts
Fri Jul-15-22 11:43 AM

22. "i think it was really good"
In response to Reply # 18

the finale didn't really hit me hard but it wasnt bad. definitely wanna see more of her in the mcu as well as bruno and her brother.

the explainer video i saw said that the bangle teleported (swapped) carol and kamala. no idea why. it was nice seeing brie.

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8625 posts
Wed Jul-13-22 06:31 PM

19. "Loved it"
In response to Reply # 0

This show has heart and life to it that's been missing from a couple of the shows and most of the movies.

I hope Iman Vellani is in more things in the near future.

Also loved that they changed her genetic makeup to introduce these guys into the universe

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12500 posts
Thu Jul-14-22 12:19 PM

20. "I enjoyed it"
In response to Reply # 0

As others have said, Iman Vellani is perfect for the role. The relationship between her and her mom was my favorite part of the show. The whole family feels like a real family actually.

At first I was annoyed that everyone kept learning her identity so quickly, but it being the worst kept secret among her family/friends is kinda funny now.

The CGI was a little rough at times, but big ass hands are tough to pull off in a way that looks great. Thank god they didn’t incorporate Lockjaw. That woulda looked goofy.

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Mon Oct-24-22 04:11 PM

24. "Finally saw this. Really liked most of it."
In response to Reply # 0

Like others said, Vellani nailed it. The family was a lot of fun to watch, quite heartwarming as well.

I thought the powers looked mostly cool, and the action was decent for a TV series.

Damage Control looked goofy as shit though, too obviously a bunch of extras with toy guns and some led lights.

Final showdown felt a little weird, with cops and agents shooting at teenagers with lethal ammo and the crowd mostly acting like they were watching a football match or something. Could have been set up better, I think.

Overall very entertaining intro to the Ms. Marvel character, can't wait to see more of her in the MCU.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #743838 Previous topic | Next topic