Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3045708

Subject: "Cowboy Carter - Thoughts?" Previous topic | Next topic
stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1820 posts
Wed Apr-03-24 08:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Cowboy Carter - Thoughts?"

I like it. Not as much as Renaissance. I'm attracted more to the Beyoncé parts rather than the country parts. I don't listen to a bunch of country music though so is this just what country music sounds like? Is country music just a little acoustic guitar thrown over Beyoncé vocals?

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
My early thoughts are positive
Apr 03rd 2024
I think its safe to assume its
Apr 03rd 2024
Seems like something they'll fork off a new genre for
Apr 03rd 2024
I like it a lot
Apr 04th 2024

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18653 posts
Wed Apr-03-24 09:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "My early thoughts are positive "
In response to Reply # 0

But it’s so long that I’ve gotta give it more time to see how it sticks as a whole project. There’s definitely some great songs that I like.

javi222
Member since Jun 14th 2003
4375 posts
Wed Apr-03-24 11:25 AM

2. "I think its safe to assume its "
In response to Reply # 0

a country album for people that don’t listen to country.. aka the Black Eyed Peas approach

I doubt Beyonce would work on a project that has no pop appeal

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23884 posts
Wed Apr-03-24 09:52 PM

3. "Seems like something they'll fork off a new genre for"
In response to Reply # 0

To not skew "standard" country charts or stats. Like, you can be the top "New Urban Ethnic Country" artist all you fuckin want, but don't think we're gonna include you with Travis Tritt or anybody like that.

Otherwise, I think it's a bit too long. It does flow semi-seamlessly like Act 1, but the run of "Church Girl", "Plastic Off the Sofa", & "Virgo's Groove" is impossible to beat, in my mind.

"Bodyguard", "Jolene", & "Daughter" is a fun lil' story trilogy/song run.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

thebigfunk
Charter member
10469 posts
Thu Apr-04-24 07:09 AM

4. "I like it a lot"
In response to Reply # 0

On the whole, I think it's a super smart record that cuts back on some of Beyonce's recurring issues. It feels less overproduced than some of her records (though certainly still overproduced! less offensively so?). It's far more *fun* than her last few records, which I also really appreciate. And there's some top-notch songwriting: Texas Hold'em, 16 Carriages, obviously, but Protector, Daughter, quite a bit.

On the whole country thing... I have thoughts, but too much to dump here and now. Leaking the idea that this was a country album was super smart, but this is a much smarter and more ambitious record than Beyonce's Country Album. It's really one big genre-warping record, and those genre signposts are carrying A LOT of cultural and even historical weight. Unlike some of her other word with similar ambitions, this feels less exhausting.

Whatever else one wants to say, Beyonce just dropped 2 epic, top-tier to classic albums back-to-back at a point in her career where she could easily be bowing out and no one would think twice.

Song-by-song, I need more time. But it's already gotten more play than I might have guessed.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Lobby The Lesson topic #3045708 Previous topic | Next topic