Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3045505

Subject: "PM Dawn retrospective" Previous topic | Next topic
fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5467 posts
Thu Mar-07-24 12:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"PM Dawn retrospective"

I never really dug into PM Dawn in the 90s any deeper than the singles

i started unpacking the albums, and man, Jesus Wept doesnt have any of the hits, but what an album. I REally fuck w it heavy.

Of The Heart has Memory Bliss, but beyond that IDK, its a little too rappy of an album for me (which is not their strong suit)

Dearest Christian im just digging into today

Bliss Album and Fucked music on my list

what's your favorite PM Dawn ish??

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
They deserve more respect
Mar 07th 2024
is this true of all streaming services?
Mar 09th 2024
      Not sure about elsewhere but Apple Music is the actual albums
Mar 10th 2024
Yes, Jesus Wept is an incredible album
Mar 07th 2024
100%
Mar 08th 2024
      RE: 100%
Mar 09th 2024
Of The Heart is great
Mar 08th 2024
I got into "Memory Bliss" kinda heavy during quarantine.
Mar 09th 2024
RE: I got into "Memory Bliss" kinda heavy during quarantine.
Mar 09th 2024
      RE: I got into "Memory Bliss" kinda heavy during quarantine.
Mar 09th 2024
           Ohhh ok.
Mar 09th 2024
anyone have The Jim Sullivan Syndrome????
Apr 07th 2024
oh shit i think i got the plug
Apr 08th 2024

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Thu Mar-07-24 01:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "They deserve more respect"
In response to Reply # 0

I feel like I can hear a lot of their influence in modern music, especially the people creating more ethereal, dancey, electronicy soul. On the OKP of the past, I feel like they were mostly mentioned in terms of "KRS-ONE LOL." But I enjoy every single one of their albums.

I actually like Prince Be's rap style and voice, too. Fits their vibe perfectly.

Sidenote, if you have Amazon music, beware. They only have music by Prime Minister Dawn, which are really thin crummy versions of their songs. Most be some legal disputes among surviving members or something. Anyway, makes you appreciate how much their production style brought to the songs.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Sat Mar-09-24 11:05 AM

9. "is this true of all streaming services?"
In response to Reply # 1

Have never dug into them much but this post has me intrigued. Can you only get the watered down versions on streaming? Or is it just on prime that you have that issue?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Sun Mar-10-24 12:39 AM

11. "Not sure about elsewhere but Apple Music is the actual albums"
In response to Reply # 9

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14027 posts
Thu Mar-07-24 11:53 PM

2. "Yes, Jesus Wept is an incredible album"
In response to Reply # 0

It's hard to find anywhere to really discuss its brilliance, because most people have never delved into their catalog beyond singles, and that one doesn't have any charting songs, but I feel like it really could have. It's still mindblowing to me how many great songs are on that album. I still play it front to back. They kept some fire on every album tho. The Bliss album obvioiusly had "Die Without You", but it had other joints I dig, like "Beyond Infinite Affections", "About Nothing". Then Dearest Christian had "Misery In Utero" and "Art Deco Halos". "Gotta Be Moving On Up" was my joint too.
I never cared about the KRS-One shit. PM Dawn was always one of my favorite groups, and they always made better music than Kris to me. Fuck it.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

fontgangsta
5467 posts
Fri Mar-08-24 09:12 AM

3. "100%"
In response to Reply # 2

it was happenstance that i started with that one...i think it was the only one i could pirate lol their stuff ist really "out there" on the sources i use
but yea, front to back its amazing. I could play Personal Gravity on repeat for hours. the triple cover at the end is epic. Its completely balanced in its genre bending and borrowing. Just a really special record.

i actually didnt know about the KRS stuff til now. What a weird story.

Boogie Stimuli
14027 posts
Sat Mar-09-24 05:37 AM

7. "RE: 100%"
In response to Reply # 3

>it was happenstance that i started with that one...i think it
>was the only one i could pirate lol their stuff ist really
>"out there" on the sources i use
>but yea, front to back its amazing. I could play Personal
>Gravity on repeat for hours. the triple cover at the end is
>epic. Its completely balanced in its genre bending and
>borrowing. Just a really special record.

Perfect. The song that stood out to me when I was younger was "9:45 Wake Up Dream", then the double shot of "Sonchyenne" and "Lifetime" right after just flowed so well. "Sonchyenne" melodically sounds like something little Michael Jackson could've sang but with that signature PM Dawn spiritual approach. "Why God Loves You" is a hit if it's marketed right. The production on "Forever Damaged" is just *chef's kiss*. One of my favorite beats. Very rare album where every song has something special about it. While I like "Puppet Show", I don't think it was a great single choice. Neither was "Sometimes I Miss You So Much", because that gives the impression that they may not be original, and that's the furthest thing from the truth. I remember both videos, and neither piqued my interest to check out the album. I ended up buying it way later in a bargain bin smh. Album truly didn't get it's due.

>i actually didnt know about the KRS stuff til now. What a
>weird story.

Just grown child rap silliness. Apparently Prince Be said in some magazine interview "KRS-One wants to be a teacher, but a teacher of what?" (or something very close to that). KRS-One finds out and bumrushes the stage with a crew at one of their shows, throwing them off stage.

~
~
~
~
~

OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Fri Mar-08-24 04:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Of The Heart is great"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-08-24 04:09 PM by OKdamn

I felt bad for people who couldn't appreciate it just like I feel bad for people who couldn't appreciate Zingalamaduni

I never got into Jesus Wept..maybe I'll bump it this weekend

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23883 posts
Sat Mar-09-24 01:48 AM

5. "I got into "Memory Bliss" kinda heavy during quarantine."
In response to Reply # 0

It's harder than I remember.

I never fully got into their music, but the shit I love most about him/them is hearing the stories of producers being mad at them for getting fire shit set aside for them at the record conventions. It's like, a running theme in producer podcast stories.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Boogie Stimuli
14027 posts
Sat Mar-09-24 05:22 AM

6. "RE: I got into "Memory Bliss" kinda heavy during quarantine."
In response to Reply # 5

>It's harder than I remember.
>
>I never fully got into their music, but the shit I love most
>about him/them is hearing the stories of producers being mad
>at them for getting fire shit set aside for them at the record
>conventions. It's like, a running theme in producer podcast
>stories.

Producers were mad at them for what now? Maybe it's the way the sentence is written. Is there a specific podcast you remember this being discussed on?

~
~
~
~
~

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23883 posts
Sat Mar-09-24 09:01 AM

8. "RE: I got into "Memory Bliss" kinda heavy during quarantine."
In response to Reply # 6

They used to have record conventions (maybe they still do, I’m not in NYC to know), and the well-known NYC hip-hop producers would go to get rare records for sampling. I’ve heard Primo, Q-Tip, Pete Rock, and maybe a few others say that the people selling the records at the convention would set aside the rarest shit for PM Dawn. I’m sure I had to have heard this on one or more episodes of Juan Ep(stein) since that’s what I listen to the most.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Boogie Stimuli
14027 posts
Sat Mar-09-24 11:34 PM

10. "Ohhh ok."
In response to Reply # 8

Very interesting. Makes sense. That contributed to their unique sound, I'm sure. I'm now interested in how they worked out that arrangement with all the sellers.

~
~
~
~
~

fontgangsta
5467 posts
Sun Apr-07-24 07:29 PM

12. "anyone have The Jim Sullivan Syndrome????"
In response to Reply # 0

unreleased album, but a promo CD went out
8 tracks (4 seem like partials)
https://www.discogs.com/release/18316852-PM-Dawn-The-Jim-Sullivan-Syndrome
rare shit

fontgangsta
5467 posts
Mon Apr-08-24 10:06 AM

13. "oh shit i think i got the plug"
In response to Reply # 12

should have this next month
if its worth sharing, i will

Lobby The Lesson topic #3045505 Previous topic | Next topic