Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3045233

Subject: "Mos Def - The New Danger" Previous topic | Next topic
Anonymous
Charter member
23234 posts
Sun Jan-21-24 09:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Mos Def - The New Danger"

How often or recently have you gone back to this album?

Do you think it got properly rating when it came out?

What are your feelings on the album now?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Great album
Jan 21st 2024
I like it better now than I did back then
Jan 21st 2024
I liked it for what it was at first but it really grew on me back then.
Jan 21st 2024
RE: Mos Def - The New Danger
Jan 22nd 2024
^ pretty much my stance.
Jan 23rd 2024
haven't listened in years.
Jan 23rd 2024
Yea I'm due for a revisit.
Jan 23rd 2024
I always sing its praises on here when the opportunity presents itself
Jan 24th 2024
I pretty much agree with you
Jan 24th 2024
I feel you on The Ecstatic
Feb 01st 2024
I've honestly been disappointed by each release after BOBS
Jan 25th 2024
      Why were you pissed when Ecstatic came out ?!?
Jan 25th 2024
      I wasn't feeling it at first
Jan 25th 2024
           Oh I wasn't calling you out, for the record. I just thought that most pe...
Jan 25th 2024
      The Preservation remix of this album is quality IMO
Jan 25th 2024
Hated it on first listen.
Jan 25th 2024
I can't think of an album that I've given as many chances as this one
Jan 26th 2024
Another rapper that sings too much and ain't as good at it
Jan 31st 2024
same as before. not a good album for me.
Feb 01st 2024

javi222
Member since Jun 14th 2003
4375 posts
Sun Jan-21-24 03:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Great album"
In response to Reply # 0

Similar to Electric Circus, I didn’t get it at first … Ghetto Rock, Sex Love Money etc.

Pitchfork did backtrack their initial review of Electric Circus… they should do the same with New Danger

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18644 posts
Sun Jan-21-24 04:13 PM

2. "I like it better now than I did back then"
In response to Reply # 0

At the time I was frustrated at waiting so long for a new album - I was so ready in 01-02. And I didn’t love the direction.

Now - 5 years flies by so that wouldn’t bother me as much, and I enjoy most of the songs - them not being what I hoped for/expected 20 years ago doesn’t matter.

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1815 posts
Sun Jan-21-24 06:12 PM

3. "I liked it for what it was at first but it really grew on me back then."
In response to Reply # 0

At the time of it's release I wanted a bit more of a straight up rap album, but considering where the music has gone since then this feels pretty traditional in retrospect.

In short liked it then and I like it even more now.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Mon Jan-22-24 09:53 PM

4. "RE: Mos Def - The New Danger"
In response to Reply # 0

I think the straight up rap songs on there are some of the best songs of his career.

The blues/rock stuff for the most part wasn't really to my liking. Not because I don't like rock... I do. I just wasn't feeling that particular aesthetic as I didn't feel like his voice meshed well with that sound.

I go back to it a few times a year, but only the songs that I like. Maybe I should revisit and listen to it in its entirety and see if the whole thing hits differently.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Jan-23-24 10:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "^ pretty much my stance."
In response to Reply # 4

>I think the straight up rap songs on there are some of the
>best songs of his career.
>
>The blues/rock stuff for the most part wasn't really to my
>liking. Not because I don't like rock... I do. I just wasn't
>feeling that particular aesthetic as I didn't feel like his
>voice meshed well with that sound.
>
>I go back to it a few times a year, but only the songs that I
>like. Maybe I should revisit and listen to it in its entirety
>and see if the whole thing hits differently.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

tariqhu
Charter member
17896 posts
Tue Jan-23-24 02:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "haven't listened in years."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-23-24 02:42 PM by tariqhu

I recall not really feeling it and tried several time.

might revisit because of this post.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Jan-23-24 03:47 PM

7. "Yea I'm due for a revisit."
In response to Reply # 6

Similarly, I tried to like the non-hip-hop stuff a bunch of times around the time of its release and it never connected with me.

But the hip-hop stuff stuck, a good chunk of it. In fact I still listen to Sunshine, Grown Man Business, and Champion Requiem periodically to this day. And remember liking a couple others around release time. Hence my co-sign above.

But I probably haven't listened to the album in full since like 2005.

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Wed Jan-24-24 02:04 PM

8. "I always sing its praises on here when the opportunity presents itself"
In response to Reply # 0

To copy/paste my reply in a post from 2019:

"It clearly isn't touching his Black on Both Sides and fails to live up to the expectations set by that and the Black Star album, but Mos took a lot of chances on this album, it's all over the place. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't, but the best way I can describe the album is that it's a beautiful mess. It crosses over rap, rock, blues, R&B, soul and still remains somewhat cohesive even though it has no business being so. Oh, and "Modern Marvel" is an all time great Mos song."

I can understand initial disappointment with the album, but to give some context to my relationship with the album I became a fan of the OKP darling (The Roots, Talib, Mos, Common) in 2004 so I didn't have the attachment and reverence (or even heard) of albums like Black Star, Reflection Eternal, Black on Both Sides and Things Fall Apart by the time I heard The New Danger, The Tipping Point and The Beautiful Struggle. I don't remember exactly if I had heard BOBS when I bought The New Danger, but I know for sure I hadn't heard the Black Star album.

With all that, it's probably a good thing I didn't fully come to love BOBS like I do now (it's easily in my top 10 favorite rap albums of all time) because if I did I probably would have rejected this album from the get go for not being more like it.

In another reply I found I said it's a 3.5 mic album like I love like a 4.5 mic album. If I had to pick a non-BOBS Mos solo album to listen to I'm probably going to pick this one 4 out of 5 times, though I definitely consider The Ecstatic the better album.

Anonymous
Charter member
23234 posts
Wed Jan-24-24 09:26 PM

9. "I pretty much agree with you "
In response to Reply # 8

I love the album overall because it’s somewhat of a mess but it’s also marketed as a mess.

It’s supposed to be all over the place.

There’s really nothing I don’t like on the album.

And as much as I love BOBS, I always felt like the second half was a bit of a mess when it could’ve been one of the straight up best pure hip-hop albums of all-time. Rock N Roll, Climb, May-December, Habitat… etc. I like ALL of those songs but they don’t really fit into what “I” wish that album was.

The New Danger I went in knowing it was going to be all over the place and I appreciate it for that.

The Ecstatic is an absolute overlooked gem of an album. A little surprised it doesn’t get the same recognition as some of these other underground albums in that same lane.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 01:06 AM

18. "I feel you on The Ecstatic"
In response to Reply # 9

I didn't listen to it when it first came out and only listened to it many years later, like in 2017.

I feel like the first half of that album is 5-mics. Just banger after banger. Mos rapped his ass off, and Madlib gave him really dope production.

The latter half falls off quite a bit for me. Maybe I need to revisit it to gauge it through my ears now. I remember feeling satisfied, just thinking what could have been if maybe he had more time or had rejuvenated himself mid-project.

As for The New Danger, I remember liking it as "live" hip-hop production was really dope to me at that time. I was somewhat disappointed because I LOVED Black on Both Sides and was hoping Mos's follow-up would be 14 tracks of the same. The New Danger was more experimental and daring.

I think I listened to it a long time ago, and it lacked the appeal it did when it was released. But I'll check it out again at some point.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4886 posts
Thu Jan-25-24 01:41 PM

10. "I've honestly been disappointed by each release after BOBS"
In response to Reply # 8

...only to come around on them down the road.

There are moments of brilliance on New Danger, and Modern Marvel is definitely one...and ahead of its time.

Could have maybe cut a couple tracks that didn't work as well, but off the top not sure what I'd cut. Like you said, its kind of a beautiful mess.

Personally, I think the real underrated gem for Yassin is the Ecstatic. I was pissed when it came out, but over time I've come to think its his best album and actually his masterpiece. I'd honestly have it up there as one of the best of the decade.

Still mad we never got the Ski Beats album though.

Brew
24419 posts
Thu Jan-25-24 01:54 PM

11. "Why were you pissed when Ecstatic came out ?!?"
In response to Reply # 10

>Personally, I think the real underrated gem for Yassin is the
>Ecstatic. I was pissed when it came out, but over time I've
>come to think its his best album and actually his masterpiece.
> I'd honestly have it up there as one of the best of the
>decade.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4886 posts
Thu Jan-25-24 02:52 PM

12. "I wasn't feeling it at first"
In response to Reply # 11

It wasn't what I wanted at the time. I'm not sure what I expected/wanted honestly. Probably BOBS part 2 or some shit. Glad I grew out of that.

Hey man at least I can admit I was dead wrong *shrug*

Brew
24419 posts
Thu Jan-25-24 03:23 PM

13. "Oh I wasn't calling you out, for the record. I just thought that most pe..."
In response to Reply # 12
Thu Jan-25-24 03:25 PM by Brew

... saw that album as a return to form. And if not that, at least the best he'd made since BOBS. So I was just digging deeper into exactly what you meant by being "pissed" when it was relased.

Personally I thought it was imperfect but the highs were about as high as I'd seen from him, BOBS or otherwise. So many great moments, couple misses.

And to your and other folks' point in here, it's only gotten better with time.

>Hey man at least I can admit I was dead wrong *shrug*

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Thu Jan-25-24 07:49 PM

15. "The Preservation remix of this album is quality IMO"
In response to Reply # 10

https://djpreservation.bandcamp.com/album/mos-def-the-recstatic

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

dagu
Member since Nov 25th 2005
1651 posts
Thu Jan-25-24 04:51 PM

14. "Hated it on first listen."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-25-24 04:53 PM by dagu

Can't remember how I listened to it (i.e. what I was doing at the time) but I remember calming down, going to the library the next day and listening again and loving it.

I always thought my first reaction was based on expectations and wanting Black on Both Sides, Part 2.

Edit: Haven't heard it in a while but I need to. Now, True Magic? You can keep that.

---------------------

http://www.last.fm/user/dagu85

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Fri Jan-26-24 03:20 PM

16. "I can't think of an album that I've given as many chances as this one"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm written this before on here, but I've given "New Danger" many, many, many, MANY chances. Even before I knew of the existence of OKP. And I've given a few more chances after I started checking for these boards. But every time I try, it just doesn't work for me.

I like a few songs. And I'm not going to fault the album few its ambition. It's an ambitious, bloated mess, which is preferable to a boring mess (like True Magic or that December 99th project). So at least it doesn't work in interesting ways. But I can't say it's a good album.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

ToeJam
Charter member
2103 posts
Wed Jan-31-24 07:33 PM

17. "Another rapper that sings too much and ain't as good at it"
In response to Reply # 0

tariqhu
Charter member
17896 posts
Thu Feb-01-24 12:28 PM

19. "same as before. not a good album for me."
In response to Reply # 0

there are a few gems but overall, nah.

anyone notice the only spotify version is heavily edited?

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Lobby The Lesson topic #3045233 Previous topic | Next topic